Stupid question:

I read a thread today about a American guy who had no idea about Football until he started to play Football Manager.

Yeah, I'm almost the same way. I played football as a youth, but only at a rec-league level, which didn't teach me much of the strategy or depth of the game. After not playing or thinking about "soccer" for years, I discovered football as a spectator around '96, and began really enjoying it, so I tried to find the best sims out there. I picked up CM2, but found it too complicated to understand, if you can believe that!

In game terms, my "Tactical Knowledge" would have been around a negative-three... :D

I found Premier Manager '98, and had fun with that until getting to the point where it felt too simplistic and easy ... at which point I picked up CM01/02 and had a blast. Been hooked ever since!

Yeah, I'm almost the same way. I played football as a youth, but only at a rec-league level, which didn't teach me much of the strategy or depth of the game. After not playing or thinking about "soccer" for years, I discovered football as a spectator around '96, and began really enjoying it, so I tried to find the best sims out there. I picked up CM2, but found it too complicated to understand, if you can believe that!

In game terms, my "Tactical Knowledge" would have been around a negative-three... :D

I found Premier Manager '98, and had fun with that until getting to the point where it felt too simplistic and easy ... at which point I picked up CM01/02 and had a blast. Been hooked ever since!

Pah, amateur! ;)

Thanks guys. I was pondering whether it meant "Keep Possession (as in whilst already having most of the possession)" or "Take Control Of Possession (as in the opponent has more possession and you're having trouble keeping the ball)". But if I understand correctly it means the latter (generally).

And taloola: Some people tend to speak another language then English, thank you very much.

Pah, amateur! ;)

:D:p I could pretty much write the book: "All I know about football I learned from Football Manager"

Its amazing how far the game has come in the States though - I'm currently watching Hull-Fulham live on ESPN2 .. That certainly wouldn't have happened in '96, we were lucky if the U.S. national team got on TV then!

Though .. come to think of it .. that crucial USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier wasn't on TV. So maybe it hasn't come that far.

:D:p I could pretty much write the book: "All I know about football I learned from Football Manager"

Its amazing how far the game has come in the States though - I'm currently watching Hull-Fulham live on ESPN2 .. That certainly wouldn't have happened in '96, we were lucky if the U.S. national team got on TV then!

Though .. come to think of it .. that crucial USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier wasn't on TV. So maybe it hasn't come that far.

I agree, its a shame it hasn't come further in the US. I work nights here in the UK so therefore listen to the world football phone in sometimes and it has Sean Wheelock on. Thats how i keep up to date with happenings in the US.

'Soccer' is an (Victorian) English term, FWIW. It's derived from the words 'Association Football' (and often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown). History lesson over.

Oh dear...... :D

Im not questioning the validity of where the term came from, but it is now more widely known as football (in the UK at least). I went to watch my team play at the weekend, therefore i went to the football. In America, football is still more commonly known as soccer. Thats all i meant :)

Archived