+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stupid question:

Part-Timer

Default Stupid question:

Just a quick stupid question:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the Touchline Instruction: "Retain Possession" mean?

Cheers!

Amateur

Default Re: Stupid question:

Try to keep hold of the ball, Slow the game down.

Amateur

Exclamation Re: Stupid question:

If you need to ask this question mate your playing the wrong game.

Youth Team

Kins of a time-wasting, defensive, take the sting out of the game instruction.

Amateur

@ Taloola23uk

I read a thread today about a American guy who had no idea about Football until he started to play Football Manager.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by blueowl View Post
    I read a thread today about a American guy who had no idea about Football until he started to play Football Manager.
    Surely he meant soccer?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by taloola23uk View Post
    Don't take the ****, it's only a question, perhaps he didn't understand the context. This is what forums are for after all.

Pipe down.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_sacfc View Post
    Don't take the ****, it's only a question, perhaps he didn't understand the context. This is what forums are for after all.

Pipe down.
    Agreed 100%

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by blueowl View Post
    Yeah, I'm almost the same way. I played football as a youth, but only at a rec-league level, which didn't teach me much of the strategy or depth of the game. After not playing or thinking about "soccer" for years, I discovered football as a spectator around '96, and began really enjoying it, so I tried to find the best sims out there. I picked up CM2, but found it too complicated to understand, if you can believe that!

In game terms, my "Tactical Knowledge" would have been around a negative-three...

I found Premier Manager '98, and had fun with that until getting to the point where it felt too simplistic and easy ... at which point I picked up CM01/02 and had a blast. Been hooked ever since!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    Yeah, I'm almost the same way. I played football as a youth, but only at a rec-league level, which didn't teach me much of the strategy or depth of the game. After not playing or thinking about "soccer" for years, I discovered football as a spectator around '96, and began really enjoying it, so I tried to find the best sims out there. I picked up CM2, but found it too complicated to understand, if you can believe that!

In game terms, my "Tactical Knowledge" would have been around a negative-three...

I found Premier Manager '98, and had fun with that until getting to the point where it felt too simplistic and easy ... at which point I picked up CM01/02 and had a blast. Been hooked ever since!
    Pah, amateur!

Part-Timer

Thanks guys. I was pondering whether it meant "Keep Possession (as in whilst already having most of the possession)" or "Take Control Of Possession (as in the opponent has more possession and you're having trouble keeping the ball)". But if I understand correctly it means the latter (generally).

And taloola: Some people tend to speak another language then English, thank you very much.
    Last edited by Schotsmannetje; 19-10-2009 at 21:12.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by baker.simon View Post
    Pah, amateur!
    I could pretty much write the book: "All I know about football I learned from Football Manager"

Its amazing how far the game has come in the States though - I'm currently watching Hull-Fulham live on ESPN2 .. That certainly wouldn't have happened in '96, we were lucky if the U.S. national team got on TV then!

Though .. come to think of it .. that crucial USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier wasn't on TV. So maybe it hasn't come that far.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    I could pretty much write the book: "All I know about football I learned from Football Manager"

Its amazing how far the game has come in the States though - I'm currently watching Hull-Fulham live on ESPN2 .. That certainly wouldn't have happened in '96, we were lucky if the U.S. national team got on TV then!

Though .. come to think of it .. that crucial USA-Honduras World Cup Qualifier wasn't on TV. So maybe it hasn't come that far.
    I agree, its a shame it hasn't come further in the US. I work nights here in the UK so therefore listen to the world football phone in sometimes and it has Sean Wheelock on. Thats how i keep up to date with happenings in the US.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by baker.simon View Post
    Surely he meant soccer?
    'Soccer' is an (Victorian) English term, FWIW. It's derived from the words 'Association Football' (and often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown). History lesson over.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by shoome View Post
    'Soccer' is an (Victorian) English term, FWIW. It's derived from the words 'Association Football' (and often credited to former England captain Charles Wreford-Brown). History lesson over.
    Oh dear......

Im not questioning the validity of where the term came from, but it is now more widely known as football (in the UK at least). I went to watch my team play at the weekend, therefore i went to the football. In America, football is still more commonly known as soccer. Thats all i meant

Third Team

I thought surely the winking smiley would prevent anybody taking issue!

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by taloola23uk View Post
    If you need to post these comments, you're on the wrong forum.

+ Reply to Thread