vista and FM

I think its fair the say that while Microsoft still think Vista could have been worked on and improved they decided that it was better to start again and make a new OS. They admitted during their Beta testing phase of Windows 7 that they understand alot of the negativity surrounding Vista.

Beta testers feedback on Windows 7 is very positive, almost frighteningly so! I'm not a Beta Tester for it but if you do a google search you can find users feedback on it.

So in short , it sounds like its 100 times better!

I think its fair the say that while Microsoft still think Vista could have been worked on and improved they decided that it was better to start again and make a new OS. They admitted during their Beta testing phase of Windows 7 that they understand alot of the negativity surrounding Vista.

Beta testers feedback on Windows 7 is very positive, almost frighteningly so! I'm not a Beta Tester for it but if you do a google search you can find users feedback on it.

So in short , it sounds like its 100 times better!

There are quite a few people on here that have been using/testing it for a while now and they all say that FM09 flies on it. Imagine what FM10 will be like???!!!

Toshiba Laptop

AMD 64X2 Processor @2ghz

3GB Ram

100gb HDD

Running Windows 7 64 bit

Sounds like the same as mine, only i have 2gb RAM and Vista still. Hoping to get 7 later in the month. Will give it a clean install aswell to clean the rubbish off my laptop.

I have a Intel I7 920 DDR3 6GB coming next week hopefully and as far as i am aware Windows 7 doesn't come out until next month.

My plan is to go with Vista 64 until then and I was thinking due to it being a decent system it would run vista and the games (FM/Counter-strike source/WoW/L4D) with easy , I do understand that Vista uses a lot of system power but as I said I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

You guys think I should go with XP 64 until Windows 7 comes out or do you think the system will be fine with Vista 64 ?

I have a Intel I7 920 DDR3 6GB coming next week hopefully and as far as i am aware Windows 7 doesn't come out until next month.

My plan is to go with Vista 64 until then and I was thinking due to it being a decent system it would run vista and the games (FM/Counter-strike source/WoW/L4D) with easy , I do understand that Vista uses a lot of system power but as I said I thought it wouldn't be a problem.

You guys think I should go with XP 64 until Windows 7 comes out or do you think the system will be fine with Vista 64 ?

I think Windows 7 is due out on Thursday (22nd).

I am thinking of upgrading to windows 7.. Just wanted to make sure that the os would have all the drivers that my laptop now has, i dont have a copy of all my drivers and not sure where i can download them from.

I bought mine from laptop direct, you guys think if i called them, they will send me a disk with all the drivers on it?

I am thinking of upgrading to windows 7.. Just wanted to make sure that the os would have all the drivers that my laptop now has, i dont have a copy of all my drivers and not sure where i can download them from.

I bought mine from laptop direct, you guys think if i called them, they will send me a disk with all the drivers on it?

You shouldn't need to do that.

If you look in your device manager (right click on My Computer (xp) or Computer (Vista) and select properties, then device manager) you can see what hardware you have.

Just google the manufacturer's website to get the drivers you need and save them on a USB stick in advance. The key one is to have your wireless card drivers - after that Win7 is very good at grabbing them straight off the web automatically.

Sounds like the same as mine, only i have 2gb RAM and Vista still. Hoping to get 7 later in the month. Will give it a clean install aswell to clean the rubbish off my laptop.

Yeah its probably the same machine. Toshiba Satellite A300 I think, work were selling them brand new for a subsidised £100 so seemed silly not to get involved. I put an extra 1gb of ram in myself, intending to make it 4gb when I can find another £20!

Yeah its probably the same machine. Toshiba Satellite A300 I think, work were selling them brand new for a subsidised £100 so seemed silly not to get involved. I put an extra 1gb of ram in myself, intending to make it 4gb when I can find another £20!

Is that easy to do in a laptop? Its something ive been looking to do but stopped as 1) i didnt want to mess it up and 2) i have very clumsy hands :)

Is that easy to do in a laptop? Its something ive been looking to do but stopped as 1) i didnt want to mess it up and 2) i have very clumsy hands :)

It is really really really easy. One screw to undo to get access to the memory. Two little clips to depress to pop out one of the old RAM chips and then its just a case of slotting the new one where you took the old one out.

At the moment you probably have 2 x 1gb ram chips. Your options are either a 1+2 (cheapest) 2+2 (around £40 for both) or a 4 + blank, with the blank offering you the chance to put in even more memory in the future. You will need a 64 bit operating system like Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 to recognise more than 4gb of RAM though. (I'd recommend you use a 64 bit OS anyway tho to be honest).

In terms of the physical fitting, I taught myself using a photo guide on the Crucial UK website. That was about 5 years ago, with youtube now I'm sure you could watch a 60 second video once and pick it up easily enough.

It is really really really easy. One screw to undo to get access to the memory. Two little clips to depress to pop out one of the old RAM chips and then its just a case of slotting the new one where you took the old one out.

At the moment you probably have 2 x 1gb ram chips. Your options are either a 1+2 (cheapest) 2+2 (around £40 for both) or a 4 + blank, with the blank offering you the chance to put in even more memory in the future. You will need a 64 bit operating system like Vista 64 or Windows 7 64 to recognise more than 4gb of RAM though. (I'd recommend you use a 64 bit OS anyway tho to be honest).

In terms of the physical fitting, I taught myself using a photo guide on the Crucial UK website. That was about 5 years ago, with youtube now I'm sure you could watch a 60 second video once and pick it up easily enough.

Cheers for that :thup:. Just looked and my laptop is exactly the same (A300). Ive upgraded RAM before but that was on a besktop years ago (I think it was to upgrade from 8mb to 16mb at the time :D). Sorry to hassle you anymore, but a couple of extra questions? How can i tell what particular RAM i need, i have had a quick look and it seems there are now lots of different types of RAM. Next question, what are the positives of havin a 64 bit OS? Would my laptops 2ghz processor handle it? Or will it make running programs less intensive?

Cheers :)

I have to say i never had that much of a problem with Vista, indeed apart from the first week of release and Nvidia being slow as... well a realy slow thing to release drivers its been a fairly painless process since then.

Even the transition to 64 bit which i dreaded was as easy as pie.

But ive been hearing good things about Windows 7 and im definately going to jump over to it... hell ill probably end up ordering 7 right after i close this.

Cheers for that :thup:. Just looked and my laptop is exactly the same (A300). Ive upgraded RAM before but that was on a besktop years ago (I think it was to upgrade from 8mb to 16mb at the time :D). Sorry to hassle you anymore, but a couple of extra questions? How can i tell what particular RAM i need, i have had a quick look and it seems there are now lots of different types of RAM. Next question, what are the positives of havin a 64 bit OS? Would my laptops 2ghz processor handle it? Or will it make running programs less intensive?

Cheers :)

No probs :-)

I bought my RAM off ebay (cash is a little bit tight) for £17 but if you want good price, service, fast postage and a solid guarantee then you can't do much better than Crucial.

The specific RAM you need is PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz 200 PIN SODIMM - if you do a search on ebay for that then you will find plenty of options. If you need any help locating that on Crucial then give me a shout, but, they should list your laptop in their manufacturer's list (which has preloaded details of the memory configurations).

I would recommend you take the path I did and aim for 2 separate lots of 2gb (the laptop has two adjacent slots which is shipped with 2x 1gb chips). If you don't want to commit the cash all at once you can do what I did and just buy a single 2gb chip for now (which will take you up to 3gb) and then buy another 2gb chip (to take you up to 4gb) when you can / want to.

Now onto the 64 bit issue. Its not really a case of your processor 'handling it' - your processor will definitely benefit from it! Because we have dual-core processors, it means they are able to split the work more efficiently and effectively. A 32 bit OS isn't able to take advantage of this but a 64 bit OS is, which offers better performance for multi-core processors. Windows 7 64 bit is released tomorrow - I highly recommend.

On the off chance you are a student with a valid .ac.uk email address, this is currently available for £30, otherwise its £65.

Hope that helps - if you need any more specific advice then send me an e-mail (address in my profile).

Archived