Box Or steam Vote

Box Or steam Vote  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Box Or steam Vote

• box
    • steam

Steam for me, for the first time. I've always pre-ordered online before (or before that, bought in a shop). But with all the post problems this year, I've gone for the safe option that guarantees I'll get it on launch day. I'm far too lazy to go to an actual shop.

I'm not bothered about having the actual disk. In fact, I don't even know where my FM09 disc is. When I got my new computer, I just re-downloaded from Steam.

Steam for me, for the first time. I've always pre-ordered online before (or before that, bought in a shop). But with all the post problems this year, I've gone for the safe option that guarantees I'll get it on launch day. I'm far too lazy to go to an actual shop.

I'm not bothered about having the actual disk. In fact, I don't even know where my FM09 disc is. When I got my new computer, I just re-downloaded from Steam.

but can you only download it so many times ..

i mean in 1 year i think iv done a re boot of my pc 6 or 7 times .. would that mean that i need to rebuy the game .

as i thought you can only down load it 5 times

i mean in 1 year i think iv done a re boot of my pc 6 or 7 times .. would that mean that i need to rebuy the game .

I think before you reboot your pc you have to un-install the game and you get 1 of your installs back.

I agree with the poster above. I really don't see a problem with having to have the CD in the drive, and I don't like using Steam because a) It's a memory hog and b) I don't like the idea that Valve could pull the plug at any moment and all of your games would be gone.

That is false.

I've downloaded all my steam games about 10-15times each

Box as always. Although this year i have seriously been considering using Steam! The box and manual are just to big of a lure for me though :D. Perhaps im being weird, but its £29.99 from Steam, and will probably be around that in the shops, but i feel short-changed paying the same amount of money and not getting the box or manual.

I have been using steam for years and would go with it for FM, The reasons why ..

1)Super fast download speeds from steam (Took me 20 minutes to download the demo)

2)Once it is on your steam account it's there forever and you never ned your disc again

3)compare your achievements with friends.

As for boxed version , TBH I can't think of anyout out right benefits.

Steam everytime.

Already cluttered with CDs, DVDs, etc. Easy to lose the CD or for something to happen to it. Whereas if somehow I forget my Steam password there are ways of retrieving it without having to cash out again for another boxed version.

And thats what I like and one of the reasons why I have opted for Steam for the first time.

That is false.

I've downloaded all my steam games about 10-15times each

Exactly. The number of activations thing was used only once and immediately discontinued. Delete and Reinstall as many times as you want.

I agree with the poster above. I really don't see a problem with having to have the CD in the drive, and I don't like using Steam because a) It's a memory hog and b) I don't like the idea that Valve could pull the plug at any moment and all of your games would be gone.

Valve have addressed b) oh so many times. If at any time they pull the plug, the situation will be dealt with through several optionsso people won't lose their games.

As for a), if you can't afford to run a program that uses up an extremely skimpy 20Mb of RAM, then your PC cannot in any way run FM :D

And thats what I like and one of the reasons why I have opted for Steam for the first time.

That's my reason for going with Steam: With the boxed version, it's easy to lose it and have to buy it again. With steam, you can get it back as many times as you want. That and having it on midnight the second it's released.

Box as always. Although this year i have seriously been considering using Steam! The box and manual are just to big of a lure for me though :D. Perhaps im being weird, but its £29.99 from Steam, and will probably be around that in the shops, but i feel short-changed paying the same amount of money and not getting the box or manual.

Open Steam. Right-click a game. Select "view manual". Behold....the game's manual :p

As for feeling short-changed, remember you're also paying to have what is in fact instant home delivery at any time you wish :)

Steam, the postal strike on 22nd appears to be looming towards an indefinite one.

I'll get my box for posterity later in the year, but Steam really is the fastest and most reliable option for release day.

Installs to both machines without need for disc, can be validated and fixed on a whim when files are corrupted or XML parsing errors occur, and automatically sorts DirectX requirements on install... no brainer really.

Archived