Can't get an England cap!!

Does anybody know what the AI uses to select the England team because it sure as hell isn't performance.

I have Rowan Vine in my Leicester team in the Premiership and he is flying, 13 goals in 17 league apps this year and won last years European golden boot with 30 in 35 plus average ratings of 7.41 and 7.57 respectively.

I know that McLaren was a nonce and picked players on reputation but seriously...

It's not like the England team is blessed with on fire strikers, they currently select:

(based on current seasons league apps/goals)

Rooney - 20/9

Darren Bent - 15/8

Crouch - 15/8

Johnson - 14/4

Owen - 21/9

I don't expect Rowan Vine to be an automatic inclusion etc but I would expect that with his goals tally etc that he would at least have made a friendly appearence.

What are your thoughts? Is this something that needs to be looked at in future?

Does anybody know what the AI uses to select the England team because it sure as hell isn't performance.

I have Rowan Vine in my Leicester team in the Premiership and he is flying, 13 goals in 17 league apps this year and won last years European golden boot with 30 in 35 plus average ratings of 7.41 and 7.57 respectively.

I know that McLaren was a nonce and picked players on reputation but seriously...

It's not like the England team is blessed with on fire strikers, they currently select:

(based on current seasons league apps/goals)

Rooney - 20/9

Darren Bent - 15/8

Crouch - 15/8

Johnson - 14/4

Owen - 21/9

I don't expect Rowan Vine to be an automatic inclusion etc but I would expect that with his goals tally etc that he would at least have made a friendly appearence.

What are your thoughts? Is this something that needs to be looked at in future?

Ya its ridiculous, he should be at very least in the squad!

Normally i try to avoid the international management cos its not as fun and you get hardly any games but ive always looked at how my players do at international level, its a good feeling if one of your players gets called up icon_cool.gif

I guess youll just have to keep waiting until he finally gets a chance icon_frown.gif

I had a similar situation in FM2007. Danny Haynes was a legend for my Southampton side and was the Premiership top scorer even though my club finished 15th! In his career he went on to become Southamptons highest ever goalscorer and always scored 20+ a season. But he only ever got one cap!

I can understand some flash in the pan player being ignored (Marcus Stewart anyone...) but surely a longer run at the top level will earn someone the appropriate reputation.

**NEWS UPDATE**

Rowan Vine's 'parents' have just explained to him that he is infact the lovechild of Michael Flatley and Sinead O'Connor and due to the fact that Steve McLaren recently developed a blindness to new talent can now play for the Republic of Ireland.

Lets see if that helps him.

It can be hard to get a player capped and i know the AI selection process for international teams isnt great.However in cm 4 Daren Bent got an england call who was in my west ham team season 2007-2008 in the game. He had scored 17 goals in 28 games and as you could imagine i was shouting at sven goran eriksson to give bent a chance as he had a better record than any other england striker. He got a call up for a friendly in february and became a regular after that! But this is a thing that needs changing on the international front of fm 09.

I often wonder is the AI managers are just picking the national team based on CA rather then how well players are playing. In a previous thread, someone had Billy Sharp scoring for fun, and regularly topping the scoring charts in the Premiership, but he never got an England cap IIRC, so I can't any other way that managers are calling players up.

Yes I've had something similiar, I believe CA must have a major part to play in international selection and that current form is relatively low.

I have a similiar experience of where Billy Sharp has been scoring 30+ in the premier league for the last 6 or so seasons, still yet to make a squad even for a friendly.

I'll post a screenshot when I'm not at work.

I had a player that i created for a laugh with a CA of 160 and PA of 200 because of his age he was still playing for the England U-21s until he was 21. Despite winning world player of the year and premierships 2nd top scorer for first two years it wasnt until after this he picked up his first cap now he has 16 in 16 but if picked earlier he would have had 30 in 30 for the full England team.

On a seperate note I had the money but signed Eddie Johnson for Leeds who has been pretty poor I passed up on Rowan Vine wish i had got him now lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by #9Dream:Good old Stevie didn't play him mind you. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't imagine why....

I have a problem with the way players are selected too. Im not sure if they are picked on CA or reputation but something is clearly wrong, it's hard to pinpoint it though.

I've noticed England are particularly bad at giving younger players a chance, although 1 exception was my Leicester left-winger in my last game who got into the England team in our 1st season in the Premier League. When I left, he was dropped to Leicester reserves and never played for England again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AcidBurn:

I had a player that i created for a laugh with a CA of 160 and PA of 200 because of his age he was still playing for the England U-21s until he was 21. Despite winning world player of the year and premierships 2nd top scorer for first two years it wasnt until after this he picked up his first cap now he has 16 in 16 but if picked earlier he would have had 30 in 30 for the full England team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running an experiment where I created a squad of 17 yr old super-kids, CA/PA 200. They've been bought up by big clubs - currently 6 at Chelski and 6 at Manyoo. They have maxed out reputations already, earn £6m+ per year, are EPL players of the year etc. They're all in the England U19 or U21 setup, but currently, aged 20 none have full caps.

I'm relating the experiment in the challenges forum. The title is my created club, Glue-Sniffing Gangster Monkeys

The AI can see CA. Its true and thats how it picks players. Dont let SI tell you lies that the AI cant see CA. I have noticed it myself when going on holiday for a match day and letting my assistnat play the game. For example I had a striker who had a relatively high CA compared to my team but his attributes wernt very good for a striker...he had 8 for finishing. But then AI choose him always. Even when I ask the AI to pick my team for me it always seems to pick players on CA instead of actual attributes. Also fitness and form and morale come into as well, as you would expect but the main consideration should be attributes and not CA. We cant see CA so why can the AI?

I'm currently playing as England manager for fun, and I have given first caps to the following strikers (FM07):

Dean Ashton

Gabriel Agbolanhor (4 goals in 7 caps so far. Brilliant)

Bobby Zamora (scored on debut, yet out of favour at West Ham)

Dave Kitson

Carlton Cole

Leroy Lita

and I think a few more that I forgot at the moment.

Never say I don't give them chances. icon_wink.gif

I have 10 players in welsh national team, plus 12 in u21 and 10 in u18 (more or less, I have 32 all together).

Yes, I only play welsh players XDDDDD

But my rant is that welsh manager has been fired twice, I have appointed both times and AI chose a manager with much less reputation. I agree, both were welsh and I'm spanish but have welsh as second nationality. Does it not count?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidj4:

until about 2016, the only strikers allowed to play for england are rooney, bent, crouch, defoe, Owen and Johnson.

Mr Vine wouldn't be picked if he scored a hatrick every game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vaughan get's a call up around 2010 and Ashton does too

even setting VIne's second nationality as Irish hasn't helped. I might just stop complaining now cuz I know that if i keep on about it he will finally get a call up to the England squad just to break his leg or something.

I've a Brazilian striker in my game with 192 CA, aged 24, with a worldwide reputation who hasn't been capped by Brazil yet, even though they have some right donkeys.

Same for one of my midfielders... Has a CA of around 165, PA of 196... I'd cap a 23 year-old midfielder in the Barcelona first team, seems Dunga won't. ^^

It appears we are all in agreement then that this is something that SI could do with tweaking slightly if possible. It wouldn't take too much would it, surely its just a case of looking at average ratings/goals scored and other applicable stats for other positions (assists, clean sheets etc)

Archived