+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,400 of 1730

Thread: Career Updates Forum Mini Updates Thread

Youth Team

With a name like that, if he doesn't make it as a footballer, he should become a gynaecologist!
    Last edited by AK22; 17-03-2011 at 22:25.

Amateur

End of season 2014/15

Left AC Milan during March to save Bayern Munich's season, who were anguishing mid-table, with Dortmund running away with the title. Managed to finish second 6 points behind the strong Dortmund team, which consisted of the likes of: Ozil, Mountinho and Sahin so no wonder they won the league.

The champions league adventure was a roller-coaster ride which ended on a sour note. Before I joined, Bayern and Arsenal had played out a 0-0 draw at the Emirates. The second leg was my first game in charge, which we won 2-1 after two late screamers from Lahm and Schweinsteiger meaning we'd face Man City in the QF's.

The first leg at home was once again a 2-1 comeback, and the second leg finished 2-0 which led to us becoming empathic 4-1 winners on Agg. The semi final drew us against Real Madrid. The first leg of this finished 2-1, with a red card for Breno and Raul Albiol which mean't both teams finished with 10 men, but Real Madrid took home a vital away goal. This didn't matter. We never showed up at the bernabeu, we were routed 7-1. Shamefully my worst ever FM defeat.

Semi Pro

7-1? Yikes.

And, the day is Monday, October 19, 2015. So begins my quest to make Wales a relevant team in international play.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Oypus View Post
    7-1? Yikes.

And, the day is Monday, October 19, 2015. So begins my quest to make Wales a relevant team in international play.
    shouldbt be hard (sarcasticlly said)

Reserves

Oh my, what a way to equalize in the cup - with a crapshoot of a team.

Striker backheels to the other striker, who fires it into the top left corner. \o/

World Cup Winner

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jackripper View Post
    shouldbt be hard (sarcasticlly said)
    Yea...I quit about a year later.

Seriously though, except for Bale, Ramsey and a regen, that team was hopeless!

Third Team

Heh. Just had my first ever 'one shot on target, one goal, lost 0-1' game.

Amateur

Started a career game with all the major european leagues as well as Argentina, USA, Australia and South Africa.

The plan is to win the league in each european country including the champions league before heading off to Argentina and then semi-retirement into the MLS or Australia.

Starting off with automatic reputation the only team to offer me a job were Bromley. Making a few key signings, notably Ndumbu-Nsungu, Izzy Iriekpen and former Celtic winger Mo Sylla, we stormed the league with 98 points losing just 2 games. Not long after the last game was played recently releagated Yeovil came calling. The squad was really poor and only 3 or 4 players were good enough and willing to stay so a complete rebuild was reqired. However, i didnt expect it to click into gear so quickly, we romped the league losing just 2 games and gaining a record 116 points in the process.

Up to this point i still had not spent a penny on transfer fees in my career, this all changed with the 55k signing of Shelton Martis, other key signing included Yan Kermongnant and Scott Loach and with that we were ready for our assault on League 1. However, a shock was just around the corner when Ian Holloway was sacked from Derby County and they offered me the job. As soon as i saw the budget on offer i left Yeovil as quick as a flash. 2m transfer budget and 225k per week wage budget was a luxury not usually seen at League 1 level, especially when the wages for the whole Yeovil squad only came to 30k p/w.

As the transfer window had already closed i had to be clever in the transfer market, the enagmatic Adel Taraabt was my first signing, a loan with a view to a permanent deal for 22k, bargain! He was quickly followed by Dave Kitson on a similar arragement. Wes Morgan was signed for 190k to add stability to a shaky backline and Caleb Folan will join for 40k in January.

With these signings and a few more hopefully i can progress Derby onto the championship and beyond in double quick time.

Youth Team

You've managed to get some right bargains there Jordan! 22k for Taraabt is crazy. Good luck in the Championship

Reserves

You should be shot . Wes Morgan. To Derby .

Youth Team

He should also be shot for signing Yann Kermorgant at his previous club!

Reserves

Gah. Some bugs with FM10 are really frustrating.

My DC just stopped short and stood there, opposition striker takes the ball and scores. Somehow my DR is to blame for the goal and his rating drops to 5.4. Way too often the wrong guy gets blamed for goals. And why on earth would he just stop and try to impersonate a statue? We weren't even playing in the Fulham area...

There's also a ridiculous amount of long-shots that rocket into the net - from both us and the other teams. You'd think half the midfielders in Blue Square South (and below for that matter) were Scholes clones.

The match engine also is pretty confused about red cards and professional fouls. My goalkeeper was just down by the corner flag, for some reason didn't bother to take the ball he came there for, and then trips over a striker with his back to the goal (facing said corner flag). Red carded. WTF? Then there have been cases with a striker storming through on goal who get scissored from behind and the defender doesn't get a yellow. Plenty weird.

Sure hope all these things have been fixed for FM11.

Oh yes, and apparently it's impossible to score on 1-on-1s. AT least if you're straight on goal. If the striker is coming a little from the side the chances seem somewhat better. I'm barely worried when opposition strikers get through like this, cause I know they are very unlikely to score. And same with my strikers ofc.

Those are my complaints for the day.

Third Team

Heh! Me, as a Spanish Second Division B1 team, had the lead over Barcelona for three mins... *joy*

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    Gah. Some bugs with FM10 are really frustrating.

My DC just stopped short and stood there, opposition striker takes the ball and scores. Somehow my DR is to blame for the goal and his rating drops to 5.4. Way too often the wrong guy gets blamed for goals. And why on earth would he just stop and try to impersonate a statue? We weren't even playing in the Fulham area...
    Heh. I just had one of my CBs lose the ball to a tackle from the other team's striker, right in front of my own penalty area. The striker takes it and buries it. (Oddly enough, 1on1, from an angle.) His rating doesn't even move, but the other CB's rating drops off immediately.

Youth Team

After spending six seasons with Leicester City in the English divisions, I’ve decided that it was time for me to hand my resignation in. With only one league promotion to my name, I was a little disappointed to have not added any silverware to the cabinet, however, I’ve left them in good shape, and with Alan Shearer taking over the reins, I’m confident silverware is only around the corner.

After a little job hunting, both Porto and Marseille sacked their managers. I applied to both and was offered the Marseille job the next day. Without any hesitation I accepted the job and started packing my bags. I'm goin' to the south of France baby!

Amateur

So after not being able to settle on a game for months, my younger brother recommends I give Rangers a try, saying I'll enjoy the challenge of taking them as far as I can in Europe, but will have the domestic trophies to give me something a little easier. And, at least for the first season, he was right. After a stuttering start to 2010/2011 we soon kicked into high gear and went on an incredible run that encompassed a 17 game unbeaten run in the league, and qualification for the Knockout stages of the Champions League. Highlights of this included a phenomenal 9-0 decimation of Inverness, and holding Chelsea to a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge. Sadly we suffered a mid-winter wobble, and it couldn't have happened at a worse time, as it dumped us out of both the Scottish League Cup (Semi Final, to Aberdeen) and the Scottish F.A Cup (to Motherwell, in what for us was the 1st round!) We recovered in time to give Man Utd a decent go of things in the Champions League 1st Knockout Round, losing 4-2 at Ibrox and then 2-0 at Old Trafford, not playing badly at all in either match. From then on, the focus was entirely on the league, and with the side back in form we wrapped the title up with three games to spare with a 2-0 win over Aberdeen. Other notable things from this season would be a 2 wins, 2 defeats record against Celtic, and Kenny Miller scoring a ridiculous 31 goals in 27 games in all competitions!

Over pre season, I brought in some new faces. With the club in a weak financial state I sold Madjid Bougherra to Lyon for £3 million, and had signed Jody Craddock (!) as a temporary replacement. I brought in an Italian defender called Daniele Cappelli that McCoist recommended to me, as well as some big name out of contract players such as Hermann Hreidarsson, Juan Carlos Valeron, and Robbie Fowler to add some depth to the squad. I also spent a fair chunk of money bringing in Kasper Schmeichel as a long term replacement for Allan McGregor. To say things have not been good would be an understatement. Our current record in the League is Played 7, won 2, drawn 2, and lost 3. The wins came against St Mirren and Hamilton, the draws Hearts and Inverness, and the defeats... a 3-0 away loss to Aberdeen, a 3-1 at home to Dundee United, and 5-0 AGAINST HIBERNIAN. To add to our misery, we got knocked out of the Champions League in the qualification stages to some obscure team from Cyprus, and while we made a promising start to our Europa League campaign with a 4-1 home win over Club Brugge, we've since gone to Lokomotiv Moscow and lost 6-1. Times are tough.
    Last edited by jack95; 11-04-2011 at 19:37.

Part-Timer
    AEK, 9 leagues, 11 Cups, 4 Ch Leagues, 3 European Super Cups, 2 Club Wold Championships

playing with Dover (England's 6th division) and the first season is over. I finished at the top of the table with
    34-7-1 W/D/L
    101-32 goals
    33 points clear from the second team!

Amateur

Well taking Derby to the league 1 title was extremely easy given the hefty transfer and wage budget afforded to me. The signings of Taarabt (22k) and Kitson (Loan) were backed up by Ross Wallace (45k), Daryl Murphy (45k), Joe Allen (40k) and Charlie Austin (150k). The signings of Wallace and Murphy in particular helped push us over the line with the latter bagging 12 goals in 17 games. There was also the Paint trophy which was a formality completed with a routine win over Crewe Alexandra. That completed a brilliant season altogether, Derby County are back in the championship.

As soon as the season finished i decided to spend the rest of my budget (275k) on my goalkeeper form my Yeovil days, Scott Loach. I was already planning on how i would strengthen the squad for an assault on the Championship when the budget popped up for next season, £0 transfer budget and a hefty reduction in the wage budget. I thought about resigning but there were no decent jobs available, so the task of slashing the wage budget started immediately. Adel Taarabt was the first to move on, £45k to Southampton was probably too much, hes declined horrificly and never performed in league 1, his wages of nearly 20k per week were also obscene. Next out the door was winger Robail who was outstanding last season but with an offer of £1.3m on the table he had to go.

These sales allowed me to bring in a bit of Premiership class in Kieran Richardson, a quality free transfer and his versatility will be invalauble. Mark Hudson also came through the door to provide cover in defence. This season is all about staying up, anything else is a bonus.

Just before the end of last season i was approached by Ivory Coast to become there manager, i jumped at the chance as it will be useful to learn French and could boost my reputation. The main aim is to qualify for the world cup, the group consiists of ourselves, Ghana, Sudan and Gabon. As only 1 team qualifies it will be a straight fight between ourselves and Ghana for top spot. Our opening game was against Ghana, a 1-0 win giving us a huge advantadge and putting us in the driving seat for World Cup qualification.

Amateur

I'm sure there is a thread around here about 'resigning' anyway but I resigned midway into my 3rd season with Dag & Red. Last two seasons finished higher than predicted (especially first season, predicted 24th, finished 12th) but wanted a new challenge. None of my applications are accepted for other posts though! Not even Newry Town or some 2nd division Northern Irish team?! Any ideas?

World Cup Winner

From what I've experienced, you have to work really hard to improve your reputation before you can start quitting clubs and expecting to get another job. Once you have made it at the very top you can pretty much quit when you want and still walk into a top job.
    Last edited by dafuge; 14-04-2011 at 14:05.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    From what I've experienced, you have to work really hard to improve your reputation before you can start quitting clubs and expecting to get another job. Once you have made it at the very top you can pretty much quite when you want and still walk into a top job.
    I've been a victim of this many a time (and right now), the grass is never greener on the other side.

Amateur

It's looking like Haverfordwest (8th in Welsh might offer me a job when their manager goes) but it does mean I've been unemployed for about 9 months now...

Quick edit: Still unemployed after a year...

Another quick edit: Make that two years... Not even BSP teams want me?
    Last edited by CarlosEsDios; 14-04-2011 at 15:52.

Amateur

2011/2012, midway through the season, and I've killed Rangers. We're sat in 9th in the table, my signings, aside from occasional glimmers of talent from Capelli and Valeron have flopped massively, the team can't string any form together, we lack any sort of leader with Weir and McCulloch having dreadful seasons, and, in a bid to get out of the club without resigning I've became the most miserable manager alive, declaring interest in as many clubs as possible and giving the most downbeat press conferences possible, making sure to take swipes at the fans. In short, I'm an unprofessional idiot who has taken the most dominant club in Scottish footballing history and, after one league title, has dragged them into a relegation battle. This has apparently made me a prime candidate for the vacant Chelsea job.

4th in 2010/2011 and no trophies was enough to get Ancelotti sacked (eerily similar to real life) and the Blues went for a blast from the past in appointing Claudio Ranieri, who promptly took them to 11th. He was out by Christmas, I applied for the job out of hope more than anything (Ian Holloway had already beaten me to the relegation battling Championship side Sheffield United) and, to my shock, got offered the post. I gleefully accepted, with the only catch being I could only join at the end of the season. After a 5-1 defeat to Celtic, I decided to resign and holiday from Rangers, now knowing I had a job neatly lined up for me.

I spend some money in the transfer market in the summer and acquire Romelu Lukaku to lead the line for years to come, as well as a bevy of back up players. Playing an attractive 4-1-2-1-2 results are initially great- we ruin West Ham 6-0, dominate Wigan into 4-0, and come away with a crucial 2-0 win over Man City. However, a frustrating 2-2 draw with Stoke is the catalyst for a long and painful Autumn- we slide down to 7th from 1st after a 0-0 draw with Wolves, 3-2 loss to Man Utd, a 1-0 shocker at home to Blackburn (one chance, one goal for the Ewood Park side,) a 4-2 defeat to Aston Villa and an absolutely pathetic effort in a 3-0 home mauling at the hands of Everton. By now, I'm feeling deja-vu. In a desperate attempt to shake things up, I transfer list some of my under-performing stars and sell them at rock bottom prices, blow my massive budget on the purchases of Leighton Baines, Jack Rodwell, Shaun Wright-Phillips (no, he wasn't my first choice) and Andy Carroll, and change my formation to a rigid 4-5-1. This has brought us 6 consecutive league wins, including 1-0 wins away to Arsenal and at home to Man City, and for once my signings seem to be working quite well; Andy Carroll got a debut goal in the F.A Cup and Wright-Phillips is causing havoc down the right wing.

So, in short, I'm hoping for a bright future and a push for Champions League qualification, but hopefully we can keep some consistency. I'm dreading what will happen if we go on a run like with did earlier in the season, except this time with no transfer budget to shake things up...

Amateur

Great through ball to my striker, opposition goalkeeper comes out and crashes with him just outside the box; striker goes off with injury and 'keeper is sent off... for handling the ball outside penalty area.

I think I've never seen GK sent off for fouling striker when one-on-one in this game.

Part-Timer

So, it's derby time in Rome and we go into the match with an 18 year old midfielder whom I've given a start as it's his birthday and a few other teens. 2 minutes in my rightback gets sent off for a violent foul. You know what going to happen right?

Possibly my best match ever.

World Cup Winner

That's pretty mental

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romanista1994 View Post
    So, it's derby time in Rome and we go into the match with an 18 year old midfielder whom I've given a start as it's his birthday and a few other teens. 2 minutes in my rightback gets sent off for a violent foul. You know what going to happen right?

Possibly my best match ever.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post

Going 3-2-3-1 = .

First Team Squad Member

How exactly does that work?

Is it 3 DCs, 2DMs, 3AMs and 1ST?

Was this you converting from 4-2-3-1 after having a man sent off?

Third Team

OK, so I've broken the disciplinary record for Liga Sagres. With 10 games still to go...

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    How exactly does that work?

Is it 3 DCs, 2DMs, 3AMs and 1ST?

Was this you converting from 4-2-3-1 after having a man sent off?
    DC DC DC

MC MC
    W AM W
    ST

Worked wonders against their 4-4-2 with an extra man both in midfield and defence and their fullbacks pinned back by my wingers. I did start with a 4-2-3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    OK, so I've broken the disciplinary record for Liga Sagres. With 10 games still to go...
    That is pretty bad, Deisler.

started a new career with bromly missed out on the playoffs in the first season by 1 point, second season anyone of 5 teams could still win the title it was us in 2nd against 1st and we ran out 3-0 winners to win automatic promotion to the blue squre premier and so far we are struggling just above the relegation zone with 15 games gone on one of the smallest budgets

First Team Regular

Trying to play DSYoungEsq-style anti-football, but it's not working. We look doomed for the drop.

Amateur

Can anyone give any tips for lower league teams, so far i've been playing 4-4-2 with a deep defensive line, telling my wingers to cross to target man. I've played a few games and noticed that not many shots on target and my possession is low, help?

Youth Team

In the lower leagues I wouldn't recommend a target man as such. This is because every time your team has possession, they'll be looking to offload it onto your target man, and therefore all of the play will go through him. As you're in the lower leagues, I believe that having a target man is too much to ask for from one player. You should try to get your team working as a team, whilst also keeping things simple. That's probably the reason your possession is low too, as they're always looking to give it to the target man, rather than keeping the passing simple.

4-4-2 is a good solid base to build upon, so I’d recommend sticking with that formation. Just try un-ticking the box for the primary target man and playmaker roles, and having them set on 'none'. Also, whilst in a match, you could look to use the 'retain possession', 'pass to feet' and 'work ball into box' touchline shouts to help your team keep possession.

Youth Team

It may also be worth reducing creative freedom and roaming from position.

I find the players in the lower leagues don't have the intelligence to be creative or move into the correct position so this normally results in the loss of possession. My thoughts have always been keep it simple formation wise, don't give the players a chance to show off skills they don't have. Getting players with good determination and physical stats will help big time at this level too.

First Team Regular

Grinding out some draws now, but the teams we have to catch keep winning.

9 points adrift with 5 to play. We're going down.

First Team Regular

Argh. We're picking up wins now, but so are the teams in front of us.

And that's official. We're relegated with 2 matches left.

EDIT: We have 32 points, which the previous season would have been good for 4 points clear of relegation.
    Last edited by Jason the Yank; 27-04-2011 at 11:04.

after 2 promotions in 4 years with bromly, bradford came calling and i couldn't turn down a league 1 team with a £54,000 wage budget compared to bromly's £7,000 still left them in a solid mid-table position

World Cup Winner

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    Always agaisnt Lazio.

Third Team

Three defenders in the Liga ZON Sagres Defender of the Year shortlist. Not even Porto can match that...

Third Team

I'm also having real trouble motivating myself to update my career thread. I'm enjoying my game so much that I don't want to take an hour out to update... :$

Semi Pro

Ha! Stuart Pearce has just won England the World Cup in 2018, over Brazil! The team was led by my two regen fullbacks, who are fantastic physical specimens with great defensive stats. Lightning fast. They rarely miss tackles, but when they do, they'll catch up in just a few steps. Seriously, though. The RB is probably the faster of the two, and he's got 19 pace and 20 acceleration. In reality, they're pretty much the exact same player, just switched sides. The pair of them easily made the Dream Team, and they scored England's last two penalties, one of them the winner! And they're only 22. Big futures ahead of them.

Then, Pearce quit. Leaving on a high and all that. I'm going to try and take over. England has some good looking regens, especially on the defensive end of things. I currently have three of those four, so they'll get plenty of playing time.

Oh, another thing I just noticed that I'm fairly proud of: in the CL Final I just won against Barca, my entire starting eleven counted as home grown players!

Part-Timer

Earlier in the week, after finding my dafuge challenge game with Carshalton was going stale, I started a journeyman game with the English, Swedish, Scottish, German, Italian, French, Spanish and Dutch leagues loaded all the way down. There's a good mix of leagues I often play in (England, Germany, Sweden) and those that I don't (i.e. all the others!).

Starting unemployed with automatic rep (I forgot to do sunday league but hey), I was offered the job at Swedish 2nd Division West Gotaland side Annelunds IF. After steering them well clear of relegation into mid-table in the 2010 season (I'd joined in June 2010), I won the division in 2011 with 3 games to go.

Currently steering my way through the mammoth 6 month off season in the Swedish leagues for my first season in the Swedish 1st Division South. I currently have about 6 players so am trying to build up a squad with frees and loan signings.

If anyone wants a game where they can fly through the seasons I strongly recommend the Swedish league system - in the 2nd division there are only 22 games plus however many you have in the Swedish Cup (just the one for me in 2011!). In the First Division there are 26, and I think this goes up to 30 in the top two leagues.

I'm hoping to boost my rep and then take over one of the bigger clubs in Sweden, as I can't see Annelunds IF being able to compete any higher than the Superettan (Swedish First Division Elite as its known in-game). Oddly I've been linked to a couple of English League Two sides already, but have a contract until the end of 2012 and will see how my first season in the third tier develops.

Semi Pro

It is possible for even the worst sides to reach the top of the Swedish tier, hrbfcrule stared 4th tier and is now at the top only using youths

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Flamers View Post
    It is possible for even the worst sides to reach the top of the Swedish tier, hrbfcrule stared 4th tier and is now at the top only using youths
    Yeah I've read that thread! Not a system I've decided on myself - I've gone for the "loan as many players as possible" approach.

I did get Linkoping into the Premier Division in Fm 2010 whilst winning the Carribean Championship with Netherlands Antilles (now that was a fun game!) although I reckon its harder this time around (especially for Netherlands Antilles as it now longer exists and Curacao is the replacement!).
    Last edited by Crispypaul; 11-05-2011 at 12:59.

Third Team

Second leg of the Europa League Third Qualifying Round, U.D Leiria vs Rubin Kazan.

Leiria had a 1-0 lead and an away goal from the first leg and we made a perfect start as Kim Kallstrom hit a 30 yard screamer to put us up 2-0 on aggregate after 10 minutes. However, Sunny blundered into the back of a Rubin player and from the resulting penalty, Rubin pulled one back. Two minutes later, an Alexander Farnerud 20 yard strike was fumbled into the net and we were 3-1 up on aggregate.

Things got even better on the stroke of HT when a Rubin player was dismissed for an elbow, straight red. HT came and went, we were 3-1 up and cruising. We controlled the second half until we were torn open by a through ball and the Ruben player who got on the end of it, lobbed Fioranelli and made it 2-2 on the night. I had a tiring squad and not the resources to replace them. I tried to shut the game down and it looked good.

90 mins came and went, there was two minutes on the fourth official's board and then we would be safe and the unlikely winners! 93 mins... 94 mins... Not one stoppage in ET, yet the time was still ticking. On 95 mins, the Rubin players broke and a low cross into the box was stabbed in. 3-2 to Kazan and they won on away goals.
    T
    Completely and utterly gutted... We didn't have a prayer, but to win in Russia and then lose on away goals, three minutes OVER the given ET... Well, it's a little hard to take...

World Cup Winner

I've just won the league (with 95 points) and jpt (after 3 seasons of getting to the final)with bradford city after hitting top spot after week 20 i never gave it up even when the team decided to start losing to teams inside of the relegation zone.
    I also rejected an offer from southampton mid season they offered £100,000 more on the wage budget then i got at bradford and also had a 5 million transfer kitty luckily i diddn't accept and in the end they didn't even make the playoffs.
    On a side note both bolton and portsmouth have been into administration twice, both are now in league 1 and portsmouth even had a season in league 2.

Third Team

Oh FFS. Taca de Portugal beaten finalists last season, out in the Fourth Round this season.

Third Team

Two games gone exactly the same way. Batter the opposition, concede a crappy goal, batter them some more, concede a second in the 89th minute. Arse.

Third Team

Oh, and I've had 6 red cards in 10 games...

Part-Timer

My god...time for easy tacklin methinks.

Third Team

Surely....surely, lightning can't strike twice?....

Third Team

The whole team were a little apprehensive in the dressing room. And why not? We'd been in this situation before and we'd suffered heartbreak. Last year's one goal advantage in the Europe League Fourth Qualifying Round second leg was cruelly wiped out in extra extra time by Rubin Kazan and now we again faced stern opposition in the form of Athletic Bilbao

The first leg at home was a unexpected joy. Jordan Stephenson putting us 1-0 up after 7 mins. Athletic equalised 4 mins later, but a goal from Anis Ben-Haitra after 21 mins and then a beautiful 20 yard curling strike from Kim Kallstrom after 52 putting us firmly in the driving seat. However, Athletic's scrambled second goal on 86 mins made it interesting and put it all on the away leg in Bilbao...

The team walked out into the bright lights and heated atmosphere of Bilbao and kicked off. The first half was mainly a battle in the midfield with a couple of chances by Athletic being stopped easily. However, just after half time, a long throw into the box caused havoc and the resulting scuffed clearance fell to the Athletic player, whose shot was cruelly deflected over Basillo and into the roof of the net. Bilbao were 1-0 up and ahead on away goals. We refused to panic however and on 60 mins, got our reward. A beautiful through ball by Nuno Coelho saw Anis Ben-Haitra running onto it and slotting home under the keeper. Better was to come though as barely 10 mins later, a great run down the right by Alexander Muller, a 30th min sub for the injured Jordan Stephenson, saw his cutback reach Kallstrom. However, the ball was poked away by the desperate Athletic defence. Rescuing it before it went out was Alex Farnerud, who sent the ball across the goalmouth to where Anis Ben-Haitra was waiting at the far post to half-volley it home and send the travelling fans wild! That goal put us 2-1 up and wiped out Athletic's away goal advantage.

However, with 5 mins to go, a hoofed clearance from a corner was turned back in by the Athletic defender and their striker weaved inbetween our players to slot home. 2-2. It was crunch time. Another Athletic goal would have meant ET and possibly penalties. I'd used all my three subs earlier so if we did go to ET, I'd have some very tired players. My fears nearly came true on 90 mins as a 35 yard free kick was palmed onto the post by Basillo and left with with a stopped heart. However, in the ensuing break, Ben-Haitra got down the right and side and crossed in low. Michael Scott's first touch took out both defenders in front of him and his shot was swept into the far corner. 3-2 and we held on to win the tie 6-4 on aggregate and make the Europa League!!!
    Last edited by Deisler26; 16-05-2011 at 05:07.

First Team Regular

Looking very grim now. Have lost 6 in a row, our last one to the bottom-placed side (and one earlier to a team just in front of us), and have fallen into the relegation playout. Morale is rock bottom, our "best" players have been injured for a few weeks now, and I don't see where we're going to get any results from.

First Team Regular

Woo hoo! \o/

Got an away draw against the second-placed team, then stunned the leaders 1-0 at our place.

Still in the relegation playoff, but we're 6 points clear of automatic relegation with 5 matches to go, 1 point adrift of safety.

Part-Timer

Right, a little update from me.

Surprisingly we somehow managed to win the Swedish First Division at the first time of asking, although it was touch and go at the end as our last 4 games finished 2-2 (they equalised in the 95th minute), 0-0, 0-0, and 0-1 at home. Not great.

I've had to completely gut the squad for the Superettan but in the process I'm not sure we've got enough Swedish players (oops) so I'm going to have to loan a bunch to make sure we have the 9 squad players required that are trained in Sweden.

Currently making my way through the mammoth pre-season, and have picked up some rather good players for this level, including a Moroccan central midfielder I found on an agents' offer and cost just £1.5k, and some frees whom have 5 star ability in the team report. I hope it's accurate!

I am though heavily linked with some League One sides - in particular Hartlepool whose manager's contract runs out at the end of the season and I'm currently the favourite for the job. If I get offered it I expect I'll take it.

The Netherlands Antilles manager position came open too (surprisingly, as there are no Netherlands Antilles!) - unfortunately I couldn't apply as there's not enough players despite me having the Dutch league enabled

First Team Regular

Turning things around at the end here. 3 matches left (next one against the 11th placed side) and we're 7 points clear of automatic relegation, and 3 points clear of the relegation playoff.

After having a decent start in the championship with my bradford team when all of a sudden both middlesbrough and norwich sack their managers i'm the favourite for both but decline to comment on both jobs in the end they both offer me a job and with me being a norwich city fan it was a no brainer even though they had a huge amount of debt but i leave bradford on good terms with there still being quite a bit of room for more players to come in for the new manager and no player on stupidly high wages, whih leads me nicely on to my hometown norwich and what a state they were left in 5 players on more than £40,000 but nothing that i can do as we in november anyways fast forward to january and i suddenly get my transfer budget down to £0 and my wage budget slashed by £100,000 so im looking to get rid of all the players on £40,000 but unfortunately teams only want those players on loan and if we keep spending like we are currently then we could become the portsmouth but ive already said to myself that im not leaving norwich until i make them a force in europe no matter how long it takes.
    My old clubs aren't doing to badly either Bromly got promoted straight back from league 2 and are just above the relegation zone still with most of the team that i built up from blue squre south days when they were only team of youngsters with no-one older than 21 yo.
    Bradford are also doing quite well still around mid table where i left them.

apologies if some bits don't make any sense i have failed my english gcse twice and just done my third attempt

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by footballedgend View Post
    After having a decent start in the championship with my bradford team when all of a sudden both middlesbrough and norwich sack their managers i'm the favourite for both but decline to comment on both jobs in the end they both offer me a job and with me being a norwich city fan it was a no brainer even though they had a huge amount of debt but i leave bradford on good terms with there still being quite a bit of room for more players to come in for the new manager and no player on stupidly high wages, whih leads me nicely on to my hometown norwich and what a state they were left in 5 players on more than £40,000 but nothing that i can do as we in november anyways fast forward to january and i suddenly get my transfer budget down to £0 and my wage budget slashed by £100,000 so im looking to get rid of all the players on £40,000 but unfortunately teams only want those players on loan and if we keep spending like we are currently then we could become the portsmouth but ive already said to myself that im not leaving norwich until i make them a force in europe no matter how long it takes.
    My old clubs aren't doing to badly either Bromly got promoted straight back from league 2 and are just above the relegation zone still with most of the team that i built up from blue squre south days when they were only team of youngsters with no-one older than 21 yo.
    Bradford are also doing quite well still around mid table where i left them.

apologies if some bits don't make any sense i have failed my english gcse twice and just done my third attempt
    What a wonderful tale. Now any danger of some punctuation!?

Part-Timer

So I have a new job

After 6 games into the season ex Premier side BK Hacken sacked their manager and I immediately applied for the job and was offered it. With a substantially better squad, facilities, and finances, it was a bit of a no-brainer really. The squad is very good and I reckon, despite Hacken currently being 9th, that we can push for promotion, possibly through the play offs.

Third Team

First proper trophy in 51 years.

First Team Regular

Decided to resign at BK Olympic after a loss dropped us into the relegation zone.

5 goals in 10 matches, lost 5 of our last 6, and the players play nervously against pretty much all opponents because they're "overawed by teams with higher reputations." Which is pretty much all of our opponents.

Amateur

Finally won the Champions League for the first time. With Spurs. In the first season

Quote Originally Posted by iacovone View Post
    What a wonderful tale. Now any danger of some punctuation!?
    yeah i apologise for not putting in much punctuation i think you'll see why i've failed at english so many times :L

Third Team

I just lost the final of the Taca de Portugal again. With a 35 yard rocket in the 97th minute. After only 4 mins on ET were called. When it was a blatant handball.
    Last edited by Deisler26; 21-05-2011 at 08:41.

Part-Timer

Just won league 1 with preston, our swashbuckling style meant the highest number of goals I have ever managed on FM in years. TABLE
    Sheffield Utd pushed us pretty hard, it came down to the last couple of games.

Our top goalscorer GOMES.Not bad for a free transfer

Our right winger ANTONIO also had a great golscoring season.

just turned down a job offer from Cardiff.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    I just lost the final of the Taca de Portugal again. With a 35 yard rocket in the 97th minute. After only 4 mins on ET were called. When it was a blatant handball.
    Ouch

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

Gary Neville just scored his first England goal winning his 100th cap. It was also the goal that qualified us for the WC.

Part-Timer

"Preston chairman looking to step aside"

Oh dear

Third Team
    Perth Australialand PSN: Saxonaitor XBL: AngloSaxx

So I thought I might just pop back in and say Hi.

Picked up the game and thought I'd make a determined effort to get my $90 out of it. Started unemployed like always, have found Derby at the end of the first season. Four games to go and we look pretty safe, and I have just guaranteed that by beating Ipswich 3-2 after being 2-0 down. Bueno is a beast. Playing 4-2-3-1 at the moment, may or may not change next season. And the financial trouble is looking ominous, 1.6m in the red :/

Amateur

Hey everyone, currently got a save where I started unemployed with a past rep of professional footballer hoping to start out in League 1 or 2 with the aim of working my up managerial ladder. I was very lucky because I was offered a very good job around November time and that was to be the manager of Peterborough United. I took over with them in 10th place in League 1 but not to far adrift of the playoff spots and we hit the ground running straight away going on a 12 match unbeaten run and ended up winning League 1 title on the last day of the season meaning we had secured promotion to the Championship.

My aim for was to stay at Peterborough for one more season and make sure that they were safe in the championship before taking up another job but I began having second thoughts because with around 3 months left in the season we were 3rd in the championship and looking like we could get back to back promotions and be in the Premier League. However, we went through a horrible patch where we did not win in something like 8 or 9 games in a row and it looked like we were about to through away our playoff but we recovered, got back in the playoff spots only to go and draw on the last day of the season which meant we finished 7th even though we came into the game against 5th.

After that I decided it was time to resign and search for a new job. It wasn't long until I was offered that job and this time it was Q.P.R who came calling after sacking Neil Warnock who wasn't able lead the club to a top 10 finish in any of the seasons in my save. I'm currently top of the table after 18 games after the clearing out most of the squad and bringing in my own players.

My aim now is to get Q.P.R to the Premier League, hopefully stay there for a fews seasons before moving on

got to the end of the seson with norwich after having my budget slashed and having to sell all my top earners i then had to get young players to join me during the summer transfer window but even with my best players being sold off to save us from administration the board think that i should be able to get to at least the play-offs so if i keep the job until next year i'll be very surprised.
    Anyway on the finance side of things we currently have 4 bank loans, yes that's right 4! what the hell did the guy before me do just put average players on high wages for fun, as norwich is my hometown though i'm going to stay with them until i make them a force in europe with no debt (one of the loans runs out in 2033 and i'm in 2019) so it's going to be a very long term project.

Amateur

Mid Career Update: Managing Eastleigh (5th year in charge)

Started the game unemployed and sunday footballer reputation

I took control at Eastleigh in the BSS about a third of the way through the opening season and guided them to a playoff spot, victory against Dover on penalties and victory over Maidenhead in the final on penalties yet again sent me into the BSP

The financial situation has been dire, my wage budget has been cut every single season so far, the current budget (2015/16) is just short of £2,500 a week but I have delivered a better position each year despite it!

2011/12 Final Position 20th (44 points): Scrappy year I was predicted to go down and two thirds in it was looking certain, but a stunning February and March saw me take 7 wins from 10, and despite losing my final 4 games of the season I stayed up by a single point.

2012/13 Final Position 19th (52 points): Another scrappy year. I never really got going and form dipped and dived, only managing back to back wins once in the whole season. Finished on a win to secure safety for another year.

2013/14 Final Position 10th (66 points): A much better year, despite another lower budget I found a few decent kids and kept some experienced heads. Never strung anything exceptional together but financially we are slightly better off, about 190k in the red now and we actually made a profit for the year.

2014/15 Final Position 7th (73 points): A frustrating season in the end, a fantastic start to this season saw me sitting top as we turned into the new year, but a smaller squad due to the again reduced budget saw condition crash in the second half and I plummeted to 7th, still my best season yet and things were looking up. (Reputation still unproven! )

*2015/16 Current Position 4th (43 points after 24 games): The season is going well. Fitness is still a major problem and a protracted FA Cup run hasnt helped, we beat League 2 opposition Dagenham & Redbridge to reach the second round against Swansea (Championship) and went ahead twice in a ding dong of a match that ended up 5-3 to them. The reduced wage budget (again!) and prize money from the run see us out of the red with a monthly profit of 104k. I would like to think we have a shot at the play-offs this season but I fear condition will take its toll again. I have finally reached Regional reputation..yay!

More info as and when I get there

2010/2011 Blue Square South 5th Promoted via Play-offs
    2011/2012 Blue Square Premier 20th
    2012/2013 Blue Square Premier 19th
    2013/2014 Blue Square Premier 10th
    2014/2015 Blue Square Premier 7th
    Last edited by Steviedaniels; 01-06-2011 at 22:50.

Amateur

Default All-Nighter

Gonna be staying up till the early hours playing my Leeds City Career Game anyone joining me?

Third Team

I'm off work for the rest of this week, so I may just do a late one tonight.

Amateur

Nice of you to join me
    Who are you currently managing?

Youth Team

As much as id love to join you my little girl wont let me lay in lol

Youth Team

I may play for another hour - but I certainly won't join in with Barker and TFs flirting.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by TF View Post
    Nice of you to join me
    Who are you currently managing?
    I'm currently managing Tranmere, I started a new game as them last week. Currently in my 4th season with them first 2 seasons I finished 16th and 14th in League One. 3rd season won League one with 102 points, and now I'm fighting to stay in the Championship.

Who are you managing?

Quote Originally Posted by jackripper View Post
    As much as id love to join you my little girl wont let me lay in lol
    Aw lol.

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

there is an all night thread in the careers forum, just letting you know cause I copped a hiding for posting in one once in GD

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Barkermush View Post
    I'm currently managing Tranmere, I started a new game as them last week. Currently in my 4th season with them first 2 seasons I finished 16th and 14th in League One. 3rd season won League one with 102 points, and now I'm fighting to stay in the Championship.

Who are you managing?
    Leeds City as I mentioned in the first post :P
    Started unemployed with sunday league rep using RTC's FM 11 to Level 11, applied for Leeds City as im from Leeds and got the job. Probably only because they are in the 11th tier of english football. Just finished my last pre-season friendly where we got stuffed 7-0 by Inverness, apart from that a 4-2 and 1-0 win against 2 unknown teams.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by aussieant32 View Post
    there is an all night thread in the careers forum, just letting you know cause I copped a hiding for posting in one once in GD
    Ah, thanks for letting me know

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by SWaRFeGa View Post
    I may play for another hour - but I certainly won't join in with Barker and TFs flirting.
    Aw, that's a shame...

Quote Originally Posted by aussieant32 View Post

Thanks for the heads-up.

I remember there used to be an all nighter thread in this forum... but it got locked after a couple of month or so.

Amateur

Im currently searching through free agents, seeing whos up to the standards of an 11th tier club

FC Oss Researcher
    Terrassa, Spain - FC Barcelona Member #174408

Ah, thanks for letting me know
    no worries pal
    Aw, that's a shame...

Thanks for the heads-up.

I remember there used to be an all nighter thread in this forum... but it got locked after a couple of month or so.
    ahh, i have been off the forums for about 3 months so i missed it

Reserves

I may join. I'm tired but I'm off work for four days now. I've decided to download an 11 tier update. I'm Dunkirk who are side local to where I live. Should be fun.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham Forest View Post
    I may join. I'm tired but I'm off work for four days now. I've decided to download an 11 tier update. I'm Dunkirk who are side local to where I live. Should be fun.
    Let me know if you manage to sign any players worth looking at

Third Team

Oh, it's going back a while lol.

I think it was around this time last year when the all nighter thread was on here, it could even be longer than that.
    Around February/ March ish of last year iirc.

Reserves

The last one got closed. That was a couple of months back. Not sure why though. Probably because it wasn't in the right forum.

I reckon if we keep things general and put things in spoilers that need putting in spoilers we maybe alright. Player naming is in that.

Amateur

Guess if we got the thread name changed to 'All Nighter (Includes Player Naming)' then player naming would be ok?
    Just a case of a mod changing it.

Reserves

Guess if we got the thread name changed to 'All Nighter (Includes Player Naming)' then player naming would be ok?
    Just a case of a mod changing it.
    Yeah. But still put things in spoilers as people will read it still. I reckon. It may still get closed.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham Forest View Post
    The last one got closed. That was a couple of months back. Not sure why though. Probably because it wasn't in the right forum.

I reckon if we keep things general and put things in spoilers that need putting in spoilers we maybe alright. Player naming is in that.
    Ah, I never realised there was another one a couple of months back.

I've not been on this forum much in recent times either.

Into January on my save and currently sitting 17th in the Championship, 3 points clear of the relegation zone.

Just got knocked out of the FA Cup away at Chesterfield.

Amateur

Ah, I never realised there was another one a couple of months back.

I've not been on this forum much in recent times either.

Into January on my save and currently sitting 17th in the Championship, 3 points clear of the relegation zone.

Just got knocked out of the FA Cup away at Chesterfield.
    Good luck staying up, pretty bad result in the FA Cup but sure you will bounce back.

Amateur

Playing away against Norton and Stockton Ancients in the FA Vase First Qualifying Round. We are favourites to win so hopefully it will happen

Amateur

Heya all.

I'm busy procrastinating, got an essay due in a week so of course I'm doing the best thing for that - playing Football Manager 2011. Managing Newcastle, 2015-2016 season. Ashley was bought out by a sugar-daddy a few seasons ago, won the Premier League last season and attempting to hold onto my title this year, though after a strong first half of the season I am now struggling for second, with Arsenal surging ahead. Top scorer is Hulk, with about 36 goals over all competitions.

So a little disheartened, can't see myself winning this season but ah well, shall try to keep going as long as I can during the night.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Waltz View Post
    Heya all.

I'm busy procrastinating, got an essay due in a week so of course I'm doing the best thing for that - playing Football Manager 2011. Managing Newcastle, 2015-2016 season. Ashley was bought out by a sugar-daddy a few seasons ago, won the Premier League last season and attempting to hold onto my title this year, though after a strong first half of the season I am now struggling for second, with Arsenal surging ahead. Top scorer is Hulk, with about 36 goals over all competitions.

So a little disheartened, can't see myself winning this season but ah well, shall try to keep going as long as I can during the night.
    Good luck with the title surge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast