LLM = Loan Lover Manager?

Following my most recent dismissal as Newcastle manager despite fulfilling their long term expectations and then some I decided I'd try Dafuges Challenge in the mean time while waiting for the patch. I believed it would be an exciting new challenge.......

Over half way in to the season as Hitchin and, despite a terrible run of losses with the promoted side at the beginning of the season, my team are now swiftly soaring up the table thanks to a rebuilt side of loan signings. Almost each and every one signed from clubs happy to continue paying the players wages in full while they speed me to success. It's got to the stage where a fair number of my players are actually worth more on their own than the teams they're currently forming up against.

Surely this couldn't happen in real life? I'm currently fielding full sides of loanees, not one of them costing the club a penny and together they're more than up to the task of beating sides a division above. I actually found top flight managing more challenging icon_rolleyes.gif

Following my most recent dismissal as Newcastle manager despite fulfilling their long term expectations and then some I decided I'd try Dafuges Challenge in the mean time while waiting for the patch. I believed it would be an exciting new challenge.......

Over half way in to the season as Hitchin and, despite a terrible run of losses with the promoted side at the beginning of the season, my team are now swiftly soaring up the table thanks to a rebuilt side of loan signings. Almost each and every one signed from clubs happy to continue paying the players wages in full while they speed me to success. It's got to the stage where a fair number of my players are actually worth more on their own than the teams they're currently forming up against.

Surely this couldn't happen in real life? I'm currently fielding full sides of loanees, not one of them costing the club a penny and together they're more than up to the task of beating sides a division above. I actually found top flight managing more challenging icon_rolleyes.gif

I had considered that, alas. Dark days lie ahead I guess.

But the fact that I'm able to bring in so many players of such a superior standard to those the face for free sets me up in the following season, wherever I may be, in a fantastic financial position ahead of promotion in to the stricter leagues (should I not be promoted this season).

i loaned 3-4 players until I got to L1. It's incredible that players who won't ever sign for a L2 team go happy on loan to a BSS/BSN team. And amazing that a player who has been in loan in a BSS team and that team became its favourite does not want to go on loan to that club next year after promotion, but instead he chooses to go to another similar team few months later.

players team's preferences are not perfectly implemented, it's ok that a EPL player does not want to play in championship, but surely some L2 players rooting in the bench prefer playing in a good BSP team, even in some BSS/BSN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by muncherdave:

enjoy because in the conference i dont think you will be able to get that many loanees in and most of them probably wont want to come back for another season anyway. looks like thats when the challenge will begin for you. or maybe league two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got 4 in from West Ham's reserve team (my parent club) for St Albans in the BSS. They came back 3 years in a row (two of them now have City as their favoured club), all worth over 500k each.

Now, if it were me, even though I'd be guaranteed a first team slot for St Albans, I'd rather play in the reserves for West Ham simply because there's a better chance of playing with and against better players. You get paid the same anyway.

But that's how it works in the world that is FM08. So best to make the most of it until they plug that particular gap.

well I got promoted. Some of my loanees agreed to stay on for another season but most went.

My Parent Club is Fulham. I wasn't aware the AI was incapable of making a realistic decision on whether they should or shouldn't be a parent club to another.

Yet to come up against a loan limit but I'm sure it's there somewhere, as you say. It's not that I find the approach unenjoyable as such, I was just surprised at how simple it was to grab so many players of such high quality for no cost whatsoever to the club

Right, so it's a limit of 4 below 23 and another 4 above the age of 23 on long term loans - that still allows for the potential of 8/11 of my first team side to belong and be payed elsewhere. Whatever happens with regard to the loans I get this season they'll provide a nice, cost free buffer until I can actually sign some people

Don't know for sure, but I would guess there are a lot of reserve/youth players sent out to BSP/BSS/BSN sides. You may be allowed 8/11 to be loanees, but that's over the course of the season and I was under the impression there was a limit on the number of long-term loanees you could have (i.e. 4 long and 4 short).

As for the situation being 'incredible' that people will go to BS teams on loan but not League 2 on permanent deals...I don't think it's that incredible at all. A loan is temporary, so player X knows he will get experience, probably not find it that hard, and will go back to a better club. By the same token, he also knows that by transferring to League 2, he will probably never see the Prem or Championship again, unless he gets there with a League 2 team that gets promoted to that level (eventually).

Looking at the situation IRL, foreign competition, high (unrealistically so) fees and lack of experience at a certain level usually means the only mobility for players these days is downward. If Stuart Pearce and Chris Waddle were starting out today, with Wealdstone and Tow Law Town, they'd get nowhere near the league, let alone the top flight and England squad.

For this reason, both IRL and in FM, players will be happy to go down divisions on loan, but not permanently.

I only ever normally got 3 loanees whenever I am a small club.

Normally a defender and sometimes 2 strikers.

Reminds me of my Kings Lynn game a certain somebody from Norwich was immense for me. Sored over 88 goals in like 107 appearances. Managed to get him on loan in 1st and 2nd season but then he rejected me and moved to a higher club on a permanant deal. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Masquerade:

Right, so it's a limit of 4 below 23 and another 4 above the age of 23 on long term loans - that still allows for the potential of 8/11 of my first team side to belong and be payed elsewhere. Whatever happens with regard to the loans I get this season they'll provide a nice, cost free buffer until I can actually sign some people </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't true. You can pretty much loan as many players in as you want but you'll only be able to have a maximum of 5 of them in your squad for a match day (including subs). So you'll never have 8 of your first 11 being loanees, at most it'll be 5.

*sigh* seems winning the playoffs final was a rahs decision. I should have purposely fielded the players my club actually owns. Things aren't going so well and another season in the BSS with no loan limits and gathering more funds seems now to have been the better path to take icon_frown.gif

Have just secured 1st Div status for AFC Telford, 2011. My first attempt at a BSS/BSN challenge and first season managed to get 8 loanees, 3 from Wolves (parent club) and 5 others from Championship/1st Div clubs. Took me two season to gain promotion! 2nd season only took three on loan, but two of the previous loans came to me on frees. Changed my parent club for BSP, got Villa, whom I got 5 from and gained auto promotion. League 2 saw me start to pick up loanees from the bigger clubs, and frees from the top flight, and again in this season I've picked up some from my parent and from Man Utd.

Getting same players back for a second season is tricky but do-able, but almost certainly agree, at lower rep clubs, loanees are the way ahead. I actually bought players this season, and in 4 years have spent 140k, whilst pulling in 600k, and now have 3m in bank. Spending that though is another matter, since the clubs rep remains low!

My first attempt at non-league management at St Albans in BSS South and I've got about 11 or so loanees. 8 of them I've picked up from Charlton (parent club) and they're romping it.

One of the players is in his first season at Charlton after scoring goals in the lower divisions and is described as a good premiership striker, so I'm amazed that he came to me on loan. Not sure if this is totally realistic but I'll take advantage of it while I can.

I got promoted on the back of 2 good loanees from Everton. They refused to come back the next year and 6 wins later relegation engulfed me and back BSN to rebuild.

Have just won that division without loanees so I could (pray i'll) be okay this year.

Archived