View Poll Results: Which Side do you prefer to play one sided strikers on?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same side as their strong foot

81 53.29%
  • Weaker side (right footed striker on the left)

71 46.71%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One Footed Strikers

Default One Footed Strikers

Which side do you prefer to use one footed strikers on if you play two up top, the same side as their strong foot or the other side so they can cut inside and shoot?

Youth Team

Default Re: One Footed Strikers

Usually on the same side as their strong foot, so right footed = right side and vice-versa. I only change this if a player is quite tricky and has the attributes, such as flair, to be able to cut in effectively.

I'd have to say that I agree with you. It's fairly difficult to find someone who can cut inside effectively. Although, when I do use players on their weak side, I usually find that the people who are most effective at this are guys that have a pretty decent long shot ability. They'll receive the ball with their backs to goal, cut inside and shoot.

Semi Pro

Depends on how the game's going. I usually start with a right-footer on the left and vice versa, but if they are tightly marked by good defenders it's pointless, so I switch them.

Banned

Is the game really sophisticated enough to take this into account and make all of our analysis and tactical debating worthwhile over which side favours which foot, because when I watch the players in the 3D, they dont seem too bright, nor have I noticed many players cutting in especially to make use of their strong foot. I could be wrong of course, but I have my doubts.

Amateur

without doubt i have found the left footed striker always works best playing right hand side just like my winger i prefer a right footed left winger who cuts inside like eagles did for me in my game

Amateur

for me it depends what type of striker it is. For a more strong and slow striker i prefer him to play in the same side of his preferred foot. If it is a pacy striker normally it cut inside more, hence i use him on the other side of his pref foot.

Also if the op team use the defensive line high i always use my striker on the right if he is a lefty because when he successfully gets into channels in the game the striker tends to run cutting inside, so the foot he will use to strike the ball would be the opposite of the side of the pitch he is in

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HarryMills View Post
    Is the game really sophisticated enough to take this into account and make all of our analysis and tactical debating worthwhile over which side favours which foot, because when I watch the players in the 3D, they dont seem too bright, nor have I noticed many players cutting in especially to make use of their strong foot. I could be wrong of course, but I have my doubts.
    Yes. The hints and tips even make reference to it occasionally. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If the CM is marking your ST well, it may be better to use him to drag the CB wide and let and AMC or Winger do the goalscoring.

Semi Pro

I recall seeing a tip that said that striker may score more goals if you play them on the opposite side to their stronger foot, i.e. left footed striker on the right.

Part-Timer
    Wohoo, we now have a FM Meme page! Contact me if you're interested :)

It seems to me that if I put wingers on the 'wrong' side, that they score more often but their crossings aren't as good anymore. Anyone else made that observation?

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    It seems to me that if I put wingers on the 'wrong' side, that they score more often but their crossings aren't as good anymore. Anyone else made that observation?
    Yeah that seems right, unless they are two-footed. Espescially if you teach your wingers to curl the ball they can score some great goals from the opposite side.

Banned

Opposite sides.
    I'm right footed but I prefer to play on the left. When you come in towards goal, it's easier to curl the ball towards goal. If you're on your natural side you will tend to curl the ball away from goal.

Amateur

I often set up with the strikers in each position, but when I am setting up the team talk I switch them round, so that if the AI is clever enough to plan for my strikers their gameplan is scuppered by genius

So really I dont pay much attention to their footedness...

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Aja View Post
    Opposite sides.
    I'm right footed but I prefer to play on the left. When you come in towards goal, it's easier to curl the ball towards goal. If you're on your natural side you will tend to curl the ball away from goal.
    I was the same til I started using my left more often and sometimes using the outside of my right foot to curl it in. Takes practice to perfect the outside of the boot shot/cross/pass but they look good.

I know it's a bit off topic but it would be nice if you're able to train a player to use the outside of his natural foot to cross or shoot. The player would obviously need great technique to be able to pull it off and he'll have to be good at passing, crossing or finishing to be effective in any way. It'd make one footed players a little more effective, but only when they deserve to be.

Edit - Come to think of it this whole post is a bit off topic. Depends on the striker for me and the opposition set up.

Amateur

I don't really look at a players favourite foot I just play them if they've got good stats for their position although I tend to put right footed players down the right and vice-versa.

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

I play big man little man with the big man on the right and the little man on the left. I don't consider footedness, if I did I'd have to change my tactics a lot!

+ Reply to Thread