The FM08 Career Thread

This is a completely free for all career thread, designed for discussing your careers.

It is suggested that you load leagues from more than one country, to add variety, and make your game as more of a "career".

The Aim/Rules

Simple really, just play the game as if it was your real life career. It is completely up to you how you play, just start the game as a real life manager would.

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image.
  • Save the file as a JPEG.
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack.
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

Feel free to update as frequently as you feel like. Posting your end of season table is suggested to let people know how you are getting on.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Scoham:

On the game I started I edited the Defoe problem, and used Sunday league rather than automatic as my reputation. Are either of those a problem?

That's fine, Sunday League reputation should give the same as automatic in the lower leagues and the Defoe fix was suggested by SI, so we can't really ban that.

Originally posted by Whoopy D:

Great idea icon14.gif

Are we allowed to discuss games we are currently playing that were started using the rules, or do we have to start a new game to participate?

I don't see why current games shouldn't be discussed, as long as they are a career type game.

I've decided to run all leagues. all divisions, and large database.

I will not be fixing the Defoe bug, nor any of the other workarounds.

- My Reputation wont be auto either. Due to this bug, I'll never ever get a job, so my rep will be International Footballer.

I'll upload screenies as and when i can.!

To Begin....

Just days after Craig Douglas completes his A Coach Badge, he gets offered a managers role..!!

FC Moscow of Russia offer Mr. Douglas a job on an 18 month contract. Moscow are of the Russian Premier Division.

Craig Douglas - Managers Profile

(I'm starting to think I should have just had "professional footballer" as my manager rep, because I didn't expect to get a club of this calibre so quickly. I expected to slum it in lower leagues for years.! - Any advice??)

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

- My Reputation wont be auto either. Due to this bug, I'll never ever get a job, so my rep will be International Footballer.

What bug? I've got jobs without any problems?

International footballer sets your reputation to continental, professional to national, semi-pro to regional and Sunday league to either local/obscure/unknown (not sure which).

Must be really slow with every league?

Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

What bug? I've got jobs without any problems?

International footballer sets your reputation to continental, professional to national, semi-pro to regional and Sunday league to either local/obscure/unknown (not sure which).

Must be really slow with every league? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression that If you started Sunday-League, every team rejected you. Guess not. icon_smile.gif Will re-start shortyl.

Ok. I started again, and gave myself the one above "Automatic"

I was promptly offered the job of the Sengkang Punggol FC, which I hastily took. 2 days later I stepped down as manager, after realizing the team wasn't for me.

I only took it to "get in" the game straight away, but I really should be more shrewd with my choices.

I was promptly offered the job of the Sengkang Punggol FC, which I hastily took. 2 days later I stepped down as manager, after realizing the team wasn't for me.

I only took it to "get in" the game straight away, but I really should be more shrewd with my choices.

I pray you never adopt a child icon_biggrin.gif

LOL.

Couldn't get used to the climate? It gets to some people. icon_razz.gif

Great thread. I've started a career not too long ago with 'Professional' as my starting reputation. Within a couple of months I'd been offered the Vasco de Gama job in Brazil \o/

They were languishing in 18th after 18 games and severely struggling. They have mounting debt, a pretty crap squad and that lunatic Edmundo is the club captain!

What have I let myself in for?

2.2 GHz Dual Core Intel Processor, with 4GB Memory. It's a Mac Book Pro, 120 GB Hard Drive. I keep all my files on an external HD too, so the computer only has minimal files on it, allowing the game to run smooth.

In general, It doesn't effect the computer, nor the game, but the processing of the game naturally takes a little longer.

2.2 GHz Dual Core Intel Processor, with 4GB Memory. It's a Mac Book Pro, 120 GB Hard Drive. I keep all my files on an external HD too, so the computer only has minimal files on it, allowing the game to run smooth.

In general, It doesn't effect the computer, nor the game, but the processing of the game naturally takes a little longer.

icon14.gif

Started again with Automatic reputation...Running these leagues if anyone's interested:

Argentina - 2nd Div

Brazil - 2nd Div

England - League 2

France - National

Germany - 2nd Div

Holland - First Div

Italy - C2

Scotland - 3rd Div

Spain - Liga BBVA

USA - MLS

Applying for jobs as we speak.

Originally posted by iacovone:

Started again with Automatic reputation...Running these leagues if anyone's interested:

Argentina - 2nd Div

Brazil - 2nd Div

England - League 2

France - National

Germany - 2nd Div

Holland - First Div

Italy - C2

Scotland - 3rd Div

Spain - Liga BBVA

USA - MLS

Good luck mate. Between me and you, we can perhaps make something of this thread icon_smile.gif

Argentina - 2nd Div

Brazil - 2nd Div

England - League 2

France - National

Germany - 2nd Div

Holland - First Div

Italy - C2

Scotland - 3rd Div

Spain - Liga BBVA

USA - MLS

Sounds good i might run this alongside my new Gundo challenge and use identical leagues! That is if you don't mind iacovone icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

tempted to give this a go too... my gundo game isn't quite going as well as i'd hoped so might run this alongside it...

good idea.

Why don't we all load the same leagues, could make it quite interesting don't you think. The chances of managing the same club would be pretty slim. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

tempted to give this a go too... my gundo game isn't quite going as well as i'd hoped so might run this alongside it...

good idea.

Why don't we all load the same leagues, could make it quite interesting don't you think. The chances of managing the same club would be pretty slim. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be up for that. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rlipscombe:

good idea.

Why don't we all load the same leagues, could make it quite interesting don't you think. The chances of managing the same club would be pretty slim. icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be up for that. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, my computer would explode if I loaded more than England, Italy, and Spain tbh icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by birdy123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

good idea.

Haha, my computer would explode if I loaded more than England, Italy, and Spain tbh icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhhh, gutted.

i started a career game the other day, into my second season and second team as we speak...i have the following league loaded to lowest possible...

south africa

australia

china

mexico

usa

argentina

belgium

germany

england

israel

iceland

norway

romania

sweden

colombia and

uruguay

started with boston river in urugauy but with such a ****poor squad i finished last after drawing my last 5 games...

now with meppen in germany regional west division, an amatuer club so no wages, available, yet another ****poor squad but a chance of suriving, but only 9 games into the season...

Hi Birdy, I started doing Peter G's unemployment challenge but that didn't really go anywhere. Would I be ok to update my progress in here?

I started unemployed with all leagues from England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy with automatic reputation, currently on my 4th season.

Cheers

good idea.

Great idea...use mine as a template?? Could produce some great stories. If anyone has any objection to the leagues I ran then we could always swap a couple over?

good idea.

Great idea...use mine as a template?? Could produce some great stories. If anyone has any objection to the leagues I ran then we could always swap a couple over? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good mate, I'm starting it up now.

Originally posted by Jonzii:

Hi Birdy, I started doing Peter G's unemployment challenge but that didn't really go anywhere. Would I be ok to update my progress in here?

I started unemployed with all leagues from England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy with automatic reputation, currently on my 4th season.

Cheers

That's fine, go ahead. icon14.gif (I know I'm not Birdy but I did help to put this idea together)

Same to you Nep and whoever else is following the set up I used! (Could it even be worth it's own thread?!) I do like the sound of "Iacovone's Career Challenge" in the bright lights. icon_wink.gif

Incidently Nep - I haven't got a job yet and its September 2007. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iacovone:

Argentina - 2nd Div

Brazil - 2nd Div

England - League 2

France - National

Germany - 2nd Div

Holland - First Div

Italy - C2

Scotland - 3rd Div

Spain - Liga BBVA

USA - MLS

Good luck mate. Between me and you, we can perhaps make something of this thread icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't make me put my size nines in to this thread just because of a challenge :p

Started my game a few days ago, loaded the following leagues with large db

Australia

Brazil

China (used start date so game begins in January 2008)

Denmark

England (down to League One)

Germany

Israel

Romania

South Africa

USA

Bit of a random selection, but it was too slow with every major country, and I wanted some completely different nations to play in.

First job was at African Warriors in the South African First Division, had no chance of staying up, so resigned after 26 (out of 30) matches.

In the summer after the first season the German league is restructured, so this created a lot of new jobs. Eventually got the job at FC Ismaning in the German Regional Divsion South.

Not sure how long I'll stay, might try and get some success, but could look for a better job.

I'm nearing March and still no job icon_frown.gif

We may have to revise the 'automatic' reputation at this rate. Maybe up to semi-pro or pro?

I'm loading as we speak icon_wink.gif

I'm contemplating going on holiday until i get offered a job, what do you reckon? icon14.gif

What nationalities are you both using?

As I started in South Africa I'm guessing that made getting a job easier, clubs probably have lower reps than the ones in the leagues you loaded iacovone.

Just noticed iacovone you didn't load the bottom levels in your game, that probably explains it. Sunday league will probably get you a job in the BS N/S, maybe BS National, but not League Two. Same with Brazil, Germany and Spain.

Craig Douglas, after being out of work for over 1 year, finally gets a job offer.

Before we begin....

Manager Info - Semi-Pro Reputation.

Craig Douglas - Manager Profile

Nocerina offer Douglas job

Team Info

Intro - A brave move taking on this club. Nocerina are of the Italian Serie C2/B, after seemingly appearing from no where. (They have no history for 2007/08 season, but were in Serie C2/C the year before that.

Home to a massive squad of 12 players, Douglas will have himself a tough time achieving anything set by the board.

Let the games begin icon_smile.gif

Archived