A little idea for better immersion

This idea has been on my mind for some time now.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to place bets on matches and players (topscorers etc) in the FM gameworld?

This 'game in the game' would help me getting more interested in other competitions in which I'm not playing (because now sometimes I don't even know (or care) who won the premiership in the last season I played).

I'm always starting with a lower league team and the first few years (I'm pretty bad at the game, so this basically is the first 50 years of my save :D) I find myself barely interested in Champions league winners,Cup finals and other games in the Premieship, Serie A or Bundesliga.

Being able to bet for example on who's going to be the topscorer in the next world cup, would help me with the immersion in this allready great game.

Maybe this could be made an option when starting a save.

'Allow for betting' or something in that order.

I think it would be cool to have some betting stats (winnings and money lost,Highest earning per betting) next to the allready available 'career earnings' stat in your manager profile.

Don't get me wrong: this isn't something I find essential to the FM expercience.

Just a possible nice twist to an allready fantastic game, enabling more game world immersion.

I don't know how difficult this would be for SI to get this into the game.

But with the games allready showing the betting odds, maybe this wouldn't be all that hard (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any thoughts?

Since this has nothing to do with football management, I cant see this being considered.

^whs. plus the fact it could be considered as promoting gambling, which in turn, would no doubt bring tons of bad press... :thdn:

Add that to the fact that if gambling was in the game, the age rating would go up regardless of whether it is a tick box or not, means that it shouldn't really be put in.

Plus as a manager you shouldn't really be betting on other matches, is a bit dodgy imo, especially if you bet on your own matches.

This is why I wouldn't want to see it. It doesn't really add anything to the management game and there are already so many things that could be added, changed, tweaked etc.

Oh I agree 100%; getting the core game better is far more important than some trivial subgame.

But then on the other hand: "to stand still is to fall behind".

We also need some new ideas to keep the series alive and kicking!

And sometimes you need to think out of the box...

Otherwise FM11 will only be a patch + new database for FM10.

This is why I wouldn't want to see it. It doesn't really add anything to the management game and there are already so many things that could be added, changed, tweaked etc.

Agreed. If SI keep coming off the trail for a perfect Manager sim to include other "mini-features/games" then they are going to lose touch with the core of the game that everyone loves.

Agreed. If SI keep coming off the trail for a perfect Manager sim to include other "mini-features/games" then they are going to lose touch with the core of the game that everyone loves.

You remind me of the "anti 3d clan" 2 years ago.

;)

Nevermind guys; I thought this was a nice idea...but nobody seems to agree. So it's probably idiocy from my side.

"Rien ne va plus"

Let's bin this idea then...

I'm going to brainstorm some more...

You remind me of the "anti 3d clan" 2 years ago.

;)

Nevermind guys; I thought this was a nice idea...but nobody seems to agree. So it's probably idiocy from my side.

"Rien ne va plus"

Let's bin this idea then...

I'm going to brainstorm some more...

I AM the anti-3D clan from 2 years ago....

To add to my previous post about it being unlikely to be considered:

SI have often said that they look at hundreds of ideas to improve the game, but only a small, workable % will get into the game. I would think that most regulars of FM would like to see a few new features every year but would also prefer to see the current game improved, modified and polished to make the current game experience better. This would therfore exclude them spending lots of development time on ideas that are currently well removed from the game structure.

To add to my previous post about it being unlikely to be considered:

SI have often said that they look at hundreds of ideas to improve the game, but only a small, workable % will get into the game. I would think that most regulars of FM would like to see a few new features every year but would also prefer to see the current game improved, modified and polished to make the current game experience better. This would therfore exclude them spending lots of development time on ideas that are currently well removed from the game structure.

Excactly.

This forum is one of the great ways for SI to get suggestions from the users (their customers) and to get feedback on those suggestions...

I could only find out by posting how others would stand on this.

This is the whole idea of the forum imho.

Well, like I said: everybody thinks my idea is rubbish.

So probably it is...

No worries.

But worth the try ;)

Nomen est omen' date=' innit?[/quote']

I never took Latin. But yes.

I do agree with you however that when you are managing a lower league team, something does need to be included to make the higher competitions/leagues more interesting and worthwhile....its just that the betting idea doesn't really work when the person you "act as" in a game is a football manager.

Well' date=' feeder-parent team setups between english teams are not allowed by the FA.

They are however included in the game.[/quote']

This is true but clubs just setup an informal agreement with other English clubs instead to get around the FA ruling.

I'm just wondering something.

Managers earn money per week, we see the money but can't use it so really if you win or lose a bet your just adding figures as the wages really don't do much except look pretty.

When you are offered a new contract you are able to ask for higher wages if you want. i dont see the point in that tbh!

When you are offered a new contract you are able to ask for higher wages if you want. i dont see the point in that tbh!

The higher wage you get the less likely you are to be fired.. (high wage = high compensation fee when fired) ;)

Don't agree 100%;

Haven't seen any bad press towards the "Total War" series for promoting genocide.

"Video game violence" is a whole separate issue, though.

Rome: Total War, say, is rated T because it includes violent elements, while Football Manager is rated 3+. If Football Manager were to include gambling elements, it is possible this will change which will affect things like who they can sell to. In addition some countries may add additional restrictions or ban the game outright for promoting gambling.

"Video game violence" is a whole separate issue, though.

Rome: Total War, say, is rated T because it includes violent elements, while Football Manager is rated 3+. If Football Manager were to include gambling elements, it is possible this will change which will affect things like who they can sell to. In addition some countries may add additional restrictions or ban the game outright for promoting gambling.

True; but then again:

GTA San Andreas has a PEGI of 18+ for gambling references (amongst others).

It is however the best selling PS2 game of all times according to the The Guinness World Records 2009:

17.33 million copies on that console.

True; but then again:

GTA San Andreas has a PEGI of 18+ for gambling references (amongst others).

It is however the best selling PS2 game of all times according to the The Guinness World Records 2009:

17.33 million copies on that console.

That might be because it's GTA, rather than anything else.

SI probably don't want to simply target 18+ people by including gambling elements, considering the rest of the game is rated 3+.

A 3+ GTA game wouldn't sell well, just as an 18+ Football Manager probably wouldn't do that well either.

This idea has been on my mind for some time now.

Wouldn't it be great to be able to place bets on matches and players (topscorers etc) in the FM gameworld?

This 'game in the game' would help me getting more interested in other competitions in which I'm not playing (because now sometimes I don't even know (or care) who won the premiership in the last season I played).

I'm always starting with a lower league team and the first few years (I'm pretty bad at the game' date=' so this basically is the first 50 years of my save :D) I find myself barely interested in Champions league winners,Cup finals and other games in the Premieship, Serie A or Bundesliga.

Being able to bet for example on who's going to be the topscorer in the next world cup, would help me with the immersion in this allready great game.

Maybe this could be made an option when starting a save.

'Allow for betting' or something in that order.

I think it would be cool to have some betting stats (winnings and money lost,Highest earning per betting) next to the allready available 'career earnings' stat in your manager profile.

Don't get me wrong: this isn't something I find essential to the FM expercience.

Just a possible nice twist to an allready fantastic game, enabling more game world immersion.

I don't know how difficult this would be for SI to get this into the game.

But with the games allready showing the betting odds, maybe this wouldn't be all that hard (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any thoughts?[/quote']

I bet...your IQ is less than 100.

I don't think gambling will be included but maybe a similar/adjusted idea could be this.

In press conferences at Lower league teams they might ask you who you think will win the premiership/golden boot/player of the season etc and then at the end of the season when you're completely wrong or right they might react.

It has the same effect - the manager cares more about winners of competitions he's not in and therefore feels more immersed - and mirrors reality.

Archived