High Stats/Low CA and PA

Chelsea4Eva

Hi guys didn't really know where to post this, but i've noticed that sometimes a player with a low CA/PA can have VERY good stats. How is this possible?

I have an example of Matt Lockwood from Nottingham forest. His CA=100 and PA=110, so nothing spectacular there, unitil you see his stats http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/b_boy69sa/stats2.jpg[/img]]stats2.jpg icon_confused.gif.

Compare this to another player with CA=100 who has shocking stats but the same CA stats3.jpgicon_confused.gif .

Can someone shed some light on how this system works?

Cheers, Brent! icon14.gif

Hi guys didn't really know where to post this, but i've noticed that sometimes a player with a low CA/PA can have VERY good stats. How is this possible?

I have an example of Matt Lockwood from Nottingham forest. His CA=100 and PA=110, so nothing spectacular there, unitil you see his stats http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/b_boy69sa/stats2.jpg[/img]]stats2.jpg icon_confused.gif.

Compare this to another player with CA=100 who has shocking stats but the same CA stats3.jpgicon_confused.gif .

Can someone shed some light on how this system works?

Cheers, Brent! icon14.gif

No sorry gtavicer9, I edited that to see what his stats would look like when fulfilled to 199, and it was virtually 20 or 19 for every single stat bar 4 or so. But in actual fact those are his stats even with his true PA of 110.

The question isn't so much about the PA, but much more about how 2 players with the same CA can have vastly different amounts of points allocated to them. I can understand that they play different positions, so the defender might have better tackling, but then shouldn't the AMC have better dribbling or something? It doesn't make sense that they both have CA=100 yet one has low stats for virtually everything while the other has med to high stats for everything.

I can confirm that those are his actual, real stats, as seen in this in-game screenshot I just took now (a little while later in the game than Chelsea4Eva's shot):

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/314/02252008070342ys2.jpg

Anyway, the reason is, a player's actual attributes aren't directly tied to his CA, and the attributes and CA a player has is down to the researcher/s for that region.

Unfortunately, as your sceenshots show, there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy at times between what one person believes a player with 100 CA should look like, and what another person believes.

Many people put too much weight into the CA when talking about how good/bad a player is, when in reality, it is the player's attributes, which are not directly tied to his CA at all, at least not with the existing real players. I imagine with the regens created by the game, the stats and the CA probably have a bit more correlation.

Mmmmm so not all CA are created equal. Thats very interesting, I always thought that the game would adjust the stats to what it "views" as 100. For instance if you edit a player ingame using FMM to have 20 for all stats and a CA and PA of 200, it will automatically drop their stats to 16 and the odd 18 or 20. So when you do that it does effect the stats of a player to make them more realistic. But in the case of players like Lockwood it doesn't. icon_confused.gif

How on earth does it decide who to edit and who not to?

I don't really use FMM so I'm not too familiar, but I think the game treats those stats set in the database differently to those set using FMM.

Or maybe there is a certain range that the game allows. Like it might not let someone with 100 CA have 20s on absolutely everything, but having stats like Lockwood's is acceptable as far as the game is concerned.

Of course, this is now just conjecture on my part, and may be entirely wrong.

Ok I think i'm going to do some experimenting with the DB and such to see if I can come to some sort of conclusion, ie. DB overwrights game engine etc. I think I need to create players with the following stats and see what happens.

Player 1: High Stats - Low CA

Player 2: Low Stats - High CA

Under the latest patch, a great deal of CA is taken up by how good a player is with his second foot.

I would not expect it to be as big a difference as shown there.

Also keep in mind, 5 or 6 stats are free for each position (in addition to all the other free ones, such as long throws and corners).

These stats can all be 20 and not count against the CA.

Under the latest patch, a great deal of CA is taken up by how good a player is with his second foot.

I would not expect it to be as big a difference as shown there.

Also keep in mind, 5 or 6 stats are free for each position (in addition to all the other free ones, such as long throws and corners).

These stats can all be 20 and not count against the CA.

The skin is Steklo mate, I think its like the most popular one out, http://www.fmscout.com/page.php?al=steklo_skin_fm_2008 is a linky.

So can anyone tell me the attributes that are free of PA? This is really weir because, judging that the points weighting is different depending on the positions, could a defender with a high PA potentially be turned into a better striker since the striker attributes won't weigh so heavily?

Ah-Ha! I see the confusion! Ok the pictures I posted are taken from Genie Scout and NOT FM2008. I did have Fm2008 running in the background tho. Genie Scout for 2008 has its design based on steklo, thus why it might be a bit confusing. So GC yeah I did have to just swap, but i use ALT+TAB to swap between fm2008 and genie scout, thus saving me about 1 whole second lol. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

Anyway, the reason is, a player's actual attributes aren't directly tied to his CA, and the attributes and CA a player has is down to the researcher/s for that region.

Unfortunately, as your sceenshots show, there seems to be a bit of a discrepancy at times between what one person believes a player with 100 CA should look like, and what another person believes.

Many people put too much weight into the CA when talking about how good/bad a player is, when in reality, it is the player's attributes, which are not directly tied to his CA at all, at least not with the existing real players. I imagine with the regens created by the game, the stats and the CA probably have a bit more correlation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the msot wrong post I have ever read. Ignore it!

How dare you have the audacity to post such blatantly incorrect information? There is already a lot of ocnfusion around the subject and here you are posting completly incorrect information.

Attributes and CA do have a direct connection.

However I cant explain the screenshots at all. Surely there is a bug here? It cant be that much of a difference even with the weaker foot the higher attributes player has.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

How dare you have the audacity to post such blatantly incorrect information? There is already a lot of ocnfusion around the subject and here you are posting completly incorrect information.

However I cant explain the screenshots at all. Surely there is a bug here? It cant be that much of a difference even with the weaker foot the higher attributes player has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With regards to my original post, there was no deliberate, bad-faith attempt to mislead on my part, and I still think I was correct, though my main point was that a player's attributes are more an indication of his quality than a player's CA, due to the fact that CA and a player's stats when beginning the game are not directly tied. Just look at the two players mentioned with the editor. They each begin the game with 100 CA and 110 PA, but their attributes vary wildly.

Again, this is because, from what the evidence shows, as far as the database goes, a player's CA and his actual attributes are not directly linked. I already said in my first post that the game itself, when creating regens, and developing players and the like, does have more of a solid link between CA and actual attributes and ability.

Here are some more examples of players who are rather different in actual attributes while having the exact same CA, and even PA in some cases. These screenshots are taken from a new save in July 2007 with all nations loaded (took ages to load up at the start :thdown: ).

Charlie Mulgrew. CA 100, PA 130.

Eddy Dombraye. CA 100, PA 130.

Lee Carsley. CA 140, PA 145.

Dudu. CA 140, PA 145.

Paulo César. CA 140, PA 155.

Leroy Lita. CA 140, PA 155.

John Arne Riise. CA 155, PA 167.

Craig Bellamy. CA 155, PA 170.

Juan Román Riquelme. CA 160, PA 180.

Riccardo Montolivo. CA 160, PA 182.

Anderson. CA 90, PA 100.

Antonio Trigo. CA 90, PA 100.

And so on. All I'm saying is, there is clearly no direct connection between a player's CA and what their attributes are limited to in the database. I'm sure that as the game develops players, and creates new regens, there is an obvious link between the two (indeed, it's probably one of the reasons people often complain about a "decline in quality" as the game goes on).

Hhhhmmmmm ok so here is an idea, could someone that has a long term game going with quite a few regens maybe check for player with the same PA, preferably same position and similar PA, even though I don't think PA has any effect to be honest. I would attempt to go on holiday and such but my PC is useless and would take till Fm2012 to do it lol.

Whoops I forgot to state my point. Then we can see if being in the db has an effect on this since all would be game regens i'm guessing with the same fundamental rules to their creation for all. I'm pretty sure that being in the db doesn't matter tho as I showed with my experiment where I created players in the db with certain stats only for them to be "levelled" when I started the game.

My thoughts about this is that CA is linked to the points; HOWEVER not all points are weighed the same with regard to PA. For instance someone already stated that having 2 strong feet uses a lot of the CA. I always though physical stats did too, especially speed and acceleration, but then there are many very good players with both feet very good, high physical stats, and very good point stats such as Kaka.

But here again is the big debate, how is Elano from Man City got better stats than Kaka, and I think i might know the answer; Kaka's weaker foot is "fairly strong" and Elano's is only "weak". So is that why the game was able to distribute more points to Elano for skills?

And finally for the discussion, I believe that if this is indeed the system then it is very flawed as it simply does not allow the creation of players that are true to their real-life counter parts because their stats are being limited by the game engine. Lets take Drogba: this mans physical stats should be virtually unequalled, he posses pace, strength, agility, fitness and stamina in abundance. He is very much 2 footed. His other stats should be very high, even his defending should be "average". As a Chelsea fan I have seen how many times Drogba has saved us on both ends of the pitch. His passing is also exception in real-life, despite him only having 10 for it in game. I know everything i'm saying is debateable but forget who you support and the player I picked "I only chose Drogba cause I know ihm very well, I'm sure there are many others." So to represent the "real Drogba" currently ingame is impossible as even if his CA was set to 200, there would be enough points to fill his defending stats and such.

Now on the flip-side of the coin I suppose SI needed to find a system so that all players don't develop to be footballing gods, but why not simply allow for more CA and PA points. instead of the limit of 200, allow for 400. All this will allow is for the "other stats, ie a strikers defending stats etc" to be raised to a realistic level. Currently a good striker will always have to compromise his defending stats to be a good striker and vice versa. Now what I'm saying here is keep the balancing as it is, but allow some stats that aren't vital to their positions to have a lesser effect on CA and PA. Maybe have 2 sets of CA and PA ie for a striker, "Core attributes - Finishing, Composure, etc etc" and "Secondary attributes - Tackling, marking etc etc" This way someone like Drogba/Rooney that works hard all round the pitch can be a great striker and help out in defence/midfield as they do in real life, and someone like Henry/Crespo who are pure strikers and do little else can still be excellent strikers. Phew that was a long one. icon_cool.gif

Brent.

I've always viewed it that any player's stats regressed back to a theoretical CA of 1, would still have some differences from others. A CA of 1, in my opinion, would be the equal to where an untrained and not very good amateur player would be and even amateur players at this level would all still have strengths and weaknesses, so "Amateur A" might have a bunch of 2's and 3's for the majority of his stats, but could still have pace 6 (or even higher). It's perfectly acceptable for a raw, untrained player to still be very fast (or naturally good at tackling/passing/jumping/decisions/whatever).

I kind of count this as their 'natural' or 'raw' ability which, when given the benefit of some training, will form the player according to their mental abilities and their PA (plus other factors). So I think it's perfectly acceptable for players of the same PA/CA to be vastly different.

To back it up, you have to agree that Cristiano Ronaldo is not simply a product of the training he's received. He must have had a huge amount of natural ability, even before he kicked a ball. Therefore he would have had half-decent stats even with a CA of 1. On the flip-side, the average non-league player (barring the undiscovered prodigies) might easily have very poor stats at CA 1 and possibly might need to train until they reach a CA of 70 or more, before they even get close to Ronaldo's start point. It's quite possible that they both have a PA of 196 (or whatever it may be), but obviously even when fully trained to reach their potential, they'd still be vastly different players.

Disclaimer

This is only my theory. I could very easily be wrong, but I've always just supposed that this is how it works. I'd be very happy to hear different from someone that knows for sure. icon_smile.gif

To demonstrate the above a bit more, I've found two players in my game's database (both regens).

Kenny Gray has CA 2, yet has the majority of his stats ranging from 3 to 7, with a couple of high ones for long throws (15), determination (15), plus a few 10's and 11's.

Craig Wilson on the other hand had CA 1 (couldn't find two similar players with exactly the same CA; the difference is negligible), yet he has markedly different stats. No 15 for long throws here; he only manages an 8. Most of his technical abilities are in a 3 to 8 range, with no real strengths and no weaknesses, but he is clearly the better player mentally.

As I said before, I'd count this as their 'raw' untrained ability and is the start point for their development. Admittedly, neither of these players has the PA to ever become anything, but serve only to demonstrate that there is a good reason why two players with similar CA and PA should be different.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dreaded Walrus:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

However I cant explain the screenshots at all. Surely there is a bug here? It cant be that much of a difference even with the weaker foot the higher attributes player has. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With regards to my original post, there was no deliberate, bad-faith attempt to mislead on my part, and I still think I was correct, though my main point was that a player's attributes are more an indication of his quality than a player's CA, due to the fact that CA and a player's stats when beginning the game are not directly tied. Just look at the two players mentioned with the editor. They each begin the game with 100 CA and 110 PA, but their attributes vary wildly.

Again, this is because, from what the evidence shows, as far as the database goes, a player's CA and his actual attributes are not directly linked. I already said in my first post that the game itself, when creating regens, and developing players and the like, does have more of a solid link between CA and actual attributes and ability.

Here are some more examples of players who are rather different in actual attributes while having the exact same CA, and even PA in some cases. These screenshots are taken from a new save in July 2007 with all nations loaded (took ages to load up at the start :thdown: ).

Dudu. CA 140, PA 145.

Anderson. CA 90, PA 100.

And so on. All I'm saying is, there is clearly no direct connection between a player's CA and what their attributes are limited to in the database. I'm sure that as the game develops players, and creates new regens, there is an obvious link between the two (indeed, it's probably one of the reasons people often complain about a "decline in quality" as the game goes on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CA is linked to attributes when you start a new game. In the database the attributes may not match up to CA but once the game starts they will. Also most the time the CA and attributes will match up in the DB but if you use 8.01 DB in 8.02 game they wont as there is a new CA-attribute correlation. However when you start a new game the attributes will be adjusted to match the CA.

Dudu. CA 140, PA 145.

Anderson. CA 90, PA 100.

And so on. All I'm saying is, there is clearly no direct connection between a player's CA and what their attributes are limited to in the database. I'm sure that as the game develops players, and creates new regens, there is an obvious link between the two (indeed, it's probably one of the reasons people often complain about a "decline in quality" as the game goes on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CA in indeed linked to attributes, but not to all attributes! The attributes it is linked to vary by position. Some attributes, like weak foot or pace, are worth much in CA terms than others.

You guys might want to look at:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1519717/m/5822069083/p/9

To get it completly right: CA and attributes is supposed to be dependent on each other, but in FM2008 the programmers haven't gotten this completly correct, as there is some bugs about how the game reads the database. Therefor some players will have better stats than their CA suggests and some will have worse stats. This have been complained about in the Beta forum, data forum and bugs forum. But to the people thats says that CA and attributes do not depend on each other you have gotten this completly wrong.

8.02 has changed the way the CA is calculated. So CA should reflect the attributes much more realistic. (At least I think I read that in the CA project in the tactics forum).

That post also has a list of the attributes by position that are classed as free. As well as a list of the attributes that are free for every player.

To answer the question above about retraining a defender into a striker. Players with multiple positions have less free stats, so the more position a player has, the more of his stats count towards his CA, so theoretically the less good he will be at his role if you compare him to a player with one position, but the same CA (Note, there is a big overlap between similar positions, so a DC/DM is not much different in how his CA is calculated when compared to a DC, but a DM/FC is going to be vastly different).

The first foot is always free, but the second foot also is a hidden stat that takes up a chunk of CA, (two footed players are much better in the match engine) so a Left Footed DL, is going to have better stats than a 2 footed DL with the same CA, but the two footed player will actually play much better in the game (and can be retrained a bit quicker into a DL/DR).

I'm not happy with the current CA/PA system, but I can not see SI changing it any time soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

8.02 has changed the way the CA is calculated. So CA should reflect the attributes much more realistic. (At least I think I read that in the CA project in the tactics forum). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They still haven't gotten it right, I know for sure as players I've researched had several attributes that were 3 points lower than what is set in the db. This also happened even after the attributes was aligned with the CA in the research editor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Veg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lambs:

8.02 has changed the way the CA is calculated. So CA should reflect the attributes much more realistic. (At least I think I read that in the CA project in the tactics forum). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They still haven't gotten it right, I know for sure as players I've researched had several attributes that were 3 points lower than what is set in the db. This also happened even after the attributes was aligned with the CA in the research editor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DB values will not be right any more, as the game uses CA as the main guide. Because the way CA has now been altered from the data base all players attributes should change when the game is started.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Veg:

They still haven't gotten it right, I know for sure as players I've researched had several attributes that were 3 points lower than what is set in the db. This also happened even after the attributes was aligned with the CA in the research editor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DB values will not be right any more, as the game uses CA as the main guide. Because the way CA has now been altered from the data base all players attributes should change when the game is started. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. And your commenting without knowing.

When the researchers assign a player a CA, the CA is calculateted against the attributes. After you have assigned a number for every attributes, the research editor, gives a recommended CA (RCA) wich is based on the numbers that are assigned to the attributes. If you have given to high numbers to the attributes the RCA will be Higher than the CA that is given, and lower if the attributes are set lower.

Then the researcher can adjust the CA to fit the RCA, or adjust the attributes so the RCA is the same as the CA. If the CA is the same as the RCA, the DB values are supposed to be loaded into the game. If the CA is higher or lower than the RCA the game is supposed to balance this out. But as I've said before the coders haven't gotten this completely right. But when they get this right the DB values assigned from the researchers will be right, if the researchers have balanced the CA and the attributes to the RCA.

I'm not happy with the current CA/PA system, but I can not see SI changing it any time soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet another comment without knowledge. What I've read they are working hard to get it correct.

The DB values will not be right any more, as the game uses CA as the main guide. Because the way CA has now been altered from the data base all players attributes should change when the game is started. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you don't have a clue what I'm talking about. And your commenting without knowing.

When the researchers assign a player a CA, the CA is calculateted against the attributes. After you have assigned a number for every attributes, the research editor, gives a recommended CA (RCA) wich is based on the numbers that are assigned to the attributes. If you have given to high numbers to the attributes the RCA will be Higher than the CA that is given, and lower if the attributes are set lower.

Then the researcher can adjust the CA to fit the RCA, or adjust the attributes so the RCA is the same as the CA. If the CA is the same as the RCA, the DB values are supposed to be loaded into the game. If the CA is higher or lower than the RCA the game is supposed to balance this out. But as I've said before the coders haven't gotten this completely right. But when they get this right the DB values assigned from the researchers will be right, if the researchers have balanced the CA and the attributes to the RCA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to have someone come on the opne confirm that this is how it works!

I guess what is confusing a lot of people is the fact that the change in 8.0.2 of the relation between attributes/CA leads the game now to adjust more the attributes of players, ie, that research tool the researchs had at the beggining gave them the RCA for the player for the original release of the game, not for 8.0.2!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lance101:

Then the researcher can adjust the CA to fit the RCA, or adjust the attributes so the RCA is the same as the CA. If the CA is the same as the RCA, the DB values are supposed to be loaded into the game. If the CA is higher or lower than the RCA the game is supposed to balance this out. But as I've said before the coders haven't gotten this completely right. But when they get this right the DB values assigned from the researchers will be right, if the researchers have balanced the CA and the attributes to the RCA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to have someone come on the opne confirm that this is how it works!

I guess what is confusing a lot of people is the fact that the change in 8.0.2 of the relation between attributes/CA leads the game now to adjust more the attributes of players, ie, that research tool the researchs had at the beggining gave them the RCA for the player for the original release of the game, not for 8.0.2! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The researchers did research before the 8.0.2 patch to so the RCA and CA is supposed to be balanced, so the change in relation between attributes and CA isn't supposed to adjust the attributes, but as long as there still are some bugs in the gamecode, the adjustrment will unfortunately happen.

Archived