Worst Feature in FM poll

I think it might be usefull for SI to have a thread created so they could see what players think the worst features are in FM and how they could be improved and why they think they do not work at the moment.

It not an opportunity to moan about FM but to give constructive feedback as sometimes its not just about creating new features but righting the wrongs of old ones.

Rules are Simple

1 - Think of a current feature you dislike

2 - Why don't you like it

3 - How could it be improved

This is a good thread, well done TheGulls :)

Urm, A feature which I don't like is the Formations board where you set out the players.

I don't like it because it seems quite ridged and doesn't allow for a more free formation, for example if I wanted to create the Barca formation, the midfield would have to be a central defensive midfielder (Toure), a right sided box to box central midfielder (Xavi) and a slightly left/central attacking midfielder (Iniesta). This is not currently possible.

I would personally like it if it was a bit like Pro Evo and how they create formations.

What does everybody think?

Why be negative?

I love FM but stongly believe the way to improve things isn't always by adding new features so getting feedback on current features and how they can be improved will also add value to the overall product. Its the same in any other industry.

It isn't at all negative - he asks for constructive feedback on why you don't like it and how ti could be improved.

Sycophantically fawning over everything SI does isn't going to improve future releases, constructive feedback is.

There's a phrase you won't read every day ;)

Good idea OP.

I think it might be usefull for SI to have a thread created so they could see what players think the worst features are in FM and how they could be improved and why they think they do not work at the moment.

It not an opportunity to moan about FM but to give constructive feedback as sometimes its not just about creating new features but righting the wrongs of old ones.

Rules are Simple

1 - Think of a current feature you dislike

2 - Why don't you like it

3 - How could it be improved

1. Well I suppose the current feature that most people dont particularly like is the press conferences.

2. The reason, for me anyway, is the questions are so boring and repetitive.

3. The Fix? Well some variety and imagination in the questions is the obvious place to start. I just cant think of any right now to start off :rolleyes:

I most dislike press conferences. They are tiresome and repetitive and they do more to harm the flow of the game than to improve the enjoyment and immerse you. I like the idea of them in theory, but to make it a worthwhile feature they would need to be toned down so they aren't almost every match, and so that there are hundreds if not thousands more possible questions/answers.

The news item you get after a press conference is terrible, too. All it basically does is give some lame headline like "blah set to adopt an attacking style" or something like that, followed by the question and a copy and paste job of your answer. What's the point?!?

Press conferences.... good idea, less than stellar execution. I think that the press conferences should be called when a star player is signed/sold, at the beginning/end of season or cup competition, when a new manager is signed, before big/rivalry games (only), or other "unique" events of the season. The twice for each and every match is a bit much.

The club's staff is an underwhelming feature of the game, but perhaps the first blogs have hinted at a renewed interest by SI to make staff a more important part of the game. I hope that the training schedule & management could be enhanced, perhaps tied to some of these new staff advice features. An enhanced staff feature is something I'm excited to know more about.

I think improving the AI roster building / transfer / loan system would help the game, especially long-term games.

Press conferences, and to a lesser extant team talks. They are boring and tedious, trying to use them positively to improve your players morale is too much hassle. I just let my assistant deal with them and I get on with actually managing the team.

It interesting to see that the press conference feature is something of a problem, its one of mine too, and as SmurfDude says they interupt the flow of the game. It is a big part of football these days and needs to be in the game but a major overhaul is required.

I think to overcome this have the Press Conference when the game is processing data and also incorporate a bit of fun into it so you can have a banter with the press and increase your reputation this way.

You could also have favourite journalists that recall previous comments etc.

good to see a thread like this, nice n constructive. :thup:

doing a lot of LLM lately, so i spose one thing i dislike is "chairman accepting bids"

dont want to go down the route of "we keep him or i quit" but i think there should be some leeway with it >

sell him, and i get ALL the profits to strengthen.

sell him but make sure at the end of the season you give me funds...

make sure we get some future clauses in the deal ( nothing worse than him upstairs accepting a bid over yer head for pure cash.)

sell him, but give me funds to buy player x...

lastly...

sell him, then re-adjust my targets for the season, as hes a huge part of my squad and without him, we wont get where i said at the start (huge amt of work to implement thou i would assume)

1. Team talks

2. Frustrating in FM because the effects seem utterly random and the choices are repetitious. The existing tips and information made available about this feature are not accurate. Players rarely respond in the ways that the tips claim.

3. There need to be more options for what the manager can say and do at halftime, both for specific players and especially for the team. For example, why not have the option to threaten the players that their roles or future at the club will be in jeopardy if they don't show a better performance? Why not let the manager smash up the dressing room or question a player's courage? Why not let a manager offer more types of encouragement?

In real life, there is a long history of fiery coaches and managers having a positive impact by being extremely harsh on the players, and there needs to be functionality to reflect varied management personalities and positive effects.

Don't bother adding options if 95% of the time they're going to unsettle the team. That's a wasted feature that no one will ever use.

The effects need to be fairly consistent and not purely self-destructive, and we need to know more about how and when the team talks will have the desired effect.

Chairman accepting bids.

I work in real life and I am made to feel like little more than a voiceless cog in an immense machine. The last thing I want from a game I play to escape this dehumanization is for it to in it as well. Please make this feature, press conferences, team talks etc optional at game set up.

Please remember that FM is a game and should be fun.

The way scouts work in the game for me definitely. Basically the way that I can assign a scout to follow any player instantly and get very accurate results from him isn't really realistic at all. I just find it too easy personally. There really should be some random factor involved here (inaccurate attributes is something I've suggested before) that encourages scouting players a little longer than a day or two before it's clear how good the player actually is.

Also, it baffles me why the sounds haven't been improved at all in the recent versions of the game.

Nothing comes remotely close to being as useless, pointless, annoying, unrealistic and unfun as press conferences.

What he said.

Also, Team Talks are about as far-removed from engaging as you could possibly imagine. It'll never happen, but I'm going to try get an answer anyway (seeing as these forums are OWNED and frequented by Sports Interactive - the MAKERS of FM. Wooo! I went all 'tabloid' there ;)).. here goes:

SI - Why oh WHY, after all these years, do we still get the reaction "Didn't seem to be listening..." when we praise our players for a good performance? Why? What possible good does it achieve? Why don't you just change it to something a little less insulting? Or do you simply revel in being known as one of the most irritating games on the market today?

"Nothing specific noted" (or similar) would be so much better, thank you.

Anything to do with interaction. A general lack of any sort of variety or unpredictability means you hand it over to your assistant who proceeds to inflict Slt icons all over your team. To fix it, simply give us around a 1Gb phrase database and give us an option to ignore these by default. Saying nothing does not improve or worsen anything.

1. Well I suppose the current feature that most people dont particularly like is the press conferences.

2. The reason, for me anyway, is the questions are so boring and repetitive.

3. The Fix? Well some variety and imagination in the questions is the obvious place to start. I just cant think of any right now to start off :rolleyes:

I created a thread a while back asking people about questions they would like added. Didn't get much of a response though, seems as if people don't mind repetition.

The Thread

Feel free to add some :D

Press Con - As almost everyone says, repetative and a little pointless over all, if they really changed a relationship with player, team or other manager and had real mind game effects on oppostion or negative effects ala Rafa's rant last year this would be good but more varied optionsare needed

Tactics - A bit more freedom with formations and runs you would like certain players to make to be more accurate

1. Opposition tactics

2. The reason, the fact that you have to set these before every game

3. The fix? A way to set the same opposition tactics, such as show wingers onto their weaker foot and always close them down, so that they happen in every game. Maybe an option to set this in the team instructions

Press conferences are easily the worst thing that along with a lack of interaction with players and other managers.

If you search on youtube there are some cool videos of people using the set piece creator to do some crazy things. On shows them using all their attackers to drag every member of the opposition team outside the box and then the player taking the freekick lays it off the their GK who had ran all the way down the pitch, he then smashes the ball into the bottom corner.

Press conferences are easily the worst thing that along with a lack of interaction with players and other managers.

If you search on youtube there are some cool videos of people using the set piece creator to do some crazy things. On shows them using all their attackers to drag every member of the opposition team outside the box and then the player taking the freekick lays it off the their GK who had ran all the way down the pitch, he then smashes the ball into the bottom corner.

:D Brilliant - link?

Also, the GK moves to where the free kick is going at the stage when you shoot. So if you set up a direct shot, he'll move to take up a position to where you're going to shoot to. If you pass to someone who shoots, after the pass starts he'll move to that position.

Archived