League rules - insane criteria

Hey lads,

First of all, I'm sorry if this is not the appropriate forum for this thread, but since this has to do with the league rules and procedures, I thought it would be the best place to express my astonishment.

I am currently playing Lokomotiv Moscow, which is a challenge by itself. In my 3rd season, I finally see myself right there near the top of the league disputing point by point with Zenith and looking at the rear mirror to find CSKA, Spartak and Dinamo Moscow.

Everything would be fine, but then strange things start to happen. First, some of my players, who are seasoned internationals start hacking opponents with two feet for no reason at the beggining of the games. I had two sent offs like that before 15 minutes in recent matches.

Both of them are banned for four matches and I give them the discipline cutting their wages for two weeks.

Now I have another sent off, but in this case, it's my central defender who was cautioned by the second time in the end of a game in a questionable call (according to in-game commentary, too harsh decision).

Here comes the disciplinary commitee and bans him for 3 games.

How come a guy needs to be given a further 3 game ban after the automatic ban for a second caution? I mean, the guy didn't alledgedly argue with the official, he didn't extract a bone from someone or anything like that. He just received a second yellow card for tripping near the box.

Am I being too picky or is the game not being really realistic here?

IMHO, its purpose for me is to be a realistic portrait of the real life game - this is why it is so enjoyable and fun in the first place - I'll never manage Arsenal but then again, here I could - and still, one has to wonder all the time if there are no small traps inside the programming of the game to make it harder when things are going fine for a player.

That's plain frustrating.

Anyway, if someone who understands the Russian League disciplinary rules could enlighten my knowledge of the criteria used there, I'd be glad to hear.

Cheers,

Tele

Hi purered,

On one hand I'm sad to see this happened to someone else, but it should get noted by the SI folks! I'd love to understand what their take is on this. For me it's a blatant lack of attention.

The least we expect is the game to follow real life. I have yet to see a case of a player being suspended for 3 matches for a second yellow IRL.

Cheers,

Tele

It's not a bug.

The suspensions would have been generated because the player reached the caution threshold set by the league. If from the start of a season a player receives the number of cautions required, they automatically receive a suspension. This is counted across all matches played.

For example, if the threshold is five yellows, then a player who when starting the match has had three yellow cards in previous games, when they receive their second in the match they meet the Caution Threshold and so get a suspension because of that. As well as the suspension given for the dismissal. Another player who enters the match on four yellows, gets a yellow in match, they will also be suspended because they have met the threshold criteria.

It's only connection to the number of yellows a player receives during a match is that those yellows will drive up the number of cautions the player has.

This links to the PDF of the English FA's Disciplinary handbook. in which the details of the Caution Threshold are laid out.

Hi Cavenagh,

I'm sorry but I believe that's not the case.

Anyways, I live in Brazil and here if a player gets a red card in a match following a caution and he's one match away from a ban, his yellow card is suspended and he's automatically banned for the next game because of the ejection, while still hanging onto a possible suspension due to cumulative yellow card when he comes back.

I followed your lead and tried to see if it made sense. It didn't. The rules in the game for Russian League are as follows:

- automatic ban for 4 yellows

- automatic ban for a red card

My player had reached exactly this in the competition. So, even supposing (although disagreeing with that logic) that there was a cumulative effect, his ban would be a 2-match ban, not 3.

I don't know if this is a bug, but it is surely starting to look like one.

Cheers,

Tele

Archived