[FM09] "The Students of Santander - A Mexican Masterclass"

DodgeeD

Estudiantes Santander/Club Altimira F.C.

This is a save I began on patch 9.0.2 (later updated to 9.0.3) as part of

Razer82's South American Challenge in the CSE forum and following the format of holidaying for a season and taking a newly promoted side to domestic and continental glory. I also have another aim with this team: to win all the trophies available to my team, 11 in total! They are:

Domestic

First Division A title

First Division A Promotion Play-Off

First Division title

Champions Trophy

Interliga

Continental

North American Champions League

Superliga

Copa Libertadores

Copa Sudamericana

Recopa

Club World Championship

In addition to those, I intend to take the Mexican job when it becomes available so I can add:

International

CONCACAF Gold Cup

Copa America

Confederations Cup

U20 World Cup

Olympics

World Cup

That should keep me busy!

For starters, I have copied over my reports from the challenge thread, as well as my update from

Neppo's Youth Player Project. After that, I shall post new reports season by season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of the teams who came up at the start of the 2009/10 season, I decided to go with Estudiantes Santander (who are also known as Club Altamira F.C. for some reason :confused:). Here's my

profile.

The present set up at the club is decent with a 12,000 seater stadium, adequate training and youth facilites as well as a youth academy. The club has 'no real history' and 'a trophy room waiting to be filled' apparently.

Now to try and get my head around how the league system works and find some young stars as league rules state I must have 5 U-23 players on the pitch at all times....

Estudiantes Santander - 2009/10 Mexican 1st Division A, Apertura

Group Stage

The opening stage of the season is over and we have exceeded all expectations, topping our group and reaching the play-offs. The game started slowly as I trawled through lists of players looking for decent U23 players to meet the league requirements. I was happy enough with my squad once the season was ready to kick off and we started well with a couple of wins. A defeat in our 3rd game proved to be just a blip as we then went unbeaten for the rest of the group phase. Our unbeaten run also included a 738 minute period in which we didn't concede a single goal, meaning our passgae to the play-offs was quite smooth. :cool:

Group 1 Final Table

We had performed well enough to be classified 2nd in the Combined Table, which would work in our favour in the play-offs as in the event of a draw, the team with the higher placed finish in the table advances.

Play-Offs

Our quarter final opponents were Correcaminos. A nervy 0-0 draw at home was followed by a much more assured performance away. We took the lead towards the end of the first half and were unlucky not to win as our opponents equalised deep into injury time. That meant the tie finished 1-1 on aggregate. However, we would advance due to our higher seeding.

In the semis, we faced Colima. Again, we struggled in the first leg and lost 2-1 bringing our 15 match unbeaten run to an end. In the home leg, we turned it around with a great performance to win 3-1 on the night, 4-3 on aggregate. :thup:

Against all odds, we had ended up in the apetura final! Durango provided the opposition and we were heavy undedogs. A see-saw home leg saw both sides take the lead before finishing 2-2. The second leg was predictably tight without much action until Durango took the lead. That stirred my boys up though and we equalised within 6 minutes. Things got better for us when the opposition were reduced to ten men, allowing us to easily play out the game for a 3-3 aggregate score. Thanks to our higher league position, we were declared winners!

That win brought about all sorts of adulation from the media, board and fans (who have demanded I have my own statue already :D). It also means the pressure is completely off for the clasura as I have already qualified for the end of season promotion play-off. (Of course, I could do away with the need for that play-off by winning the clasura ;)).

The Players

Although the season isn't over yet, I thought I should parade 3 of the stars from my young yet rock-solid defence:

Alejandro Sanchez - unbelievably, I was able to get him for free from Chivas!

Juan Manuel Hernandez - also came in on a free from Tigres.

Jose Ramirez - I got him to come on trial from a Colombian side, who then agreed to sell him for 4k.

To complete my set of free hot prospects, I've just signed this Honduran kid on a free as we prepare for the closing stage - Wilmer Raudales. The future looks bright!

Estudiantes Santander 2009/10 Clasura Update

Well, it was always going to be tough to reach the heights of the apertura and, despite some good performances, we couldn't quite maintain that form. We still topped our group though as we were able to pull clear of the pack early on and hold our position but our position in the overall table dropped from 2nd in the apertura to 5th in the clasura.

We were drawn against Zacapetec in the play-off quarter finals. We outplayed them in both games but struggled to convert our chances. A 0-0 draw at home was followed by 1-0 defeat away with the heart-breaking goal coming in the 89th minute. :( On the bright side, that gave us 12 days off as we waited for the clasura play-offs to finish and our promotion play-off opponent to be determined. Our opponents will be Veracruz, who have dominated the league standings all season and only missed out on the apertura play-off finals due to losing a game in which they had three players sent off. We are heavy underdogs but we'll give it our best shot. :)

Mexican 1st Division A Promotion Play-Off (2009/10)

1st leg

A tight match saw us do well to limit the chances of Veracruz (a side with the league topscorer - Rios, 29 goals) but we were left bemoaning our out-of-form strikers. In the end, luck was on our side as an own goal gave us a 1-0 win.

2nd leg

Simple plan - defend tightly and hit on the break. It worked with the first break of the game as Angulo chose a good moment to end his 5 match goaless streak and out us in the lead. Vercruz levelled the game early in the second half but another stroke of good fortune gave us the lead as the Veracruz keeper parried a shot only to see it hit the back of a defender's head and bounce into the net. Veracruz made us sweat as they scored a second with 10 minutes to go but after much nail-biting drama at both ends, we held on to win the tie 3-2 on aggregate, securing the overall 1st Division A crown and promotion in the process!!!

Now to work out how the hell we will survive next season with a very young squad and no money. :eek: I'll give a full end of season round-up tomorrow. :thup:

Estudaintes Santander, 2010-11 Mexican 1st Division, Apertura Report

As any of you who have played in South/North America will know, the systems in place for deciding the champions, continental qualifiers and promoted/relegated teams are incredibly complex and, as a result, I'm not sure if my season so far has been a good one or not! :D

Here's a summary of what's gone on so far:

Apertura Group Tables - we managed to scrape 2nd here and qualify for the play-offs!! It all came down to the last round of matches as we needed to win and hope Tecos (or Tescos as I call them :D) lost. That's exactly what happened - an amazing feat considering our pre-season label of favourites to go down. It must be put in persepctive, however, that we got lucky with our group - a quick glance at the other groıups shows that our points total would have put us in 5th place and well out of play-off contention.

Overall League Table - confirmation that our group position was down to luck of the draw as we are only 12th here.

Average points table - this is what has me worried as this is the table that decides who gets relegated. If we can't play well in the clasura, we could still go down...

Apertura Play-Offs

Against all odds, here we were with a chance to win the aperutra title!! First up, we faced Atlante, who had topped our group. Again, luck was on our side though as our opponents involvement in the Superliga, NACL and Copa Sudamericana had caused an almighty fixture pile up for them meaning the play-off games would come as part of 7 games in 14 days for them! We were written off beforehand (pre-match comments even said it would all be over by halftime) but we put in a great performance to pull off a 1-0 win away. In the second leg, an early goal put us in the driving seat and a second before halftime meant the tie was as good as over. Atlante scored in the seond half but never put us under pressure and we advanced to the semis!

Leg 1: Atlante 0, Estudiantes Santander 1 | Leg 2: Estudiantes Santander 2, Atlante 1 (Estudiantes advance 3-1 on aggregate)

In the semis, we faced Monterry, a side which had only conceded 9 goals in the entire apertura campaign. We faced them at home first and despite battling hard, they were too good and we lost 1-0. In the return leg, another goal for them effectively killed our hopes of making the final. We managed to equalize through a sublime chip (which will be entered in the CSE Goal of the Month ;)) but it wasn't enough to get us back in it.

Leg 1: Estudiantes Santander 0, Monterry 1 | Leg 2: Monterry 1, Estudiantes Santander 1 (Monterry adavnce 2-1 on aggregate)

One thing that has been difficult so far is attracting new players. Due to the club's financial position, I've only manged a few free transfers, which have added depth to the squad but not improved the quality at all. The only two signings of note so far are:

Jeronimo Barrales - managed to get him on a free ad he's been our only consistent source of goals so far. He was injured for the play-offs but should be fit when the clasura begins.

Fransisco Noriega - I used the youngster as a sub at first but he soon establised his place in the first team meaning my first choice centre back have a combined age of 37!

I'd like to bring in some players in January (a striker, a goalkeeper and a pair of central midfielders would be nice!) but I have no transfer money and the club is still 800k in the red so not much chance of that...

Onto the clasura then. Main aim there will be to keep away from the bottom of the average points table. Anything else is a bonus :)

Estudiantes Santander, 2010-11 Mexican 1st Division Clasura

It all got off to a worringly slow start as an injury crisis set in and we slipped to the bottom of the average points table. There was no great cause for concern though as our form picked up and Necaxa's dropped meaning we finished the season safe by quite a margin. :thup:

So with that target achieved, we set our sights on reaching the play-offs again. As the groups were the same as in the apetura we were blessed with good fortune as, apart from Atlante, the other teams in the group were very inconsistent. We were able to secure 2nd in the group with two games to go, meaning a place in the play-offs and a shot at the clasura title.

Closing Stage Groups

Overall Closing Stage Table

Play-offs

Once more, we faced Atlante, who were in great form having won the NACL and reached the Copa Sudamericana final. The first leg was at home and we were quickly one goal down. We battled away though and manged to get an equaliser. The game finished 1-1, leaving us with an uphill struggle in the away game as Atlante had the advantage of being higher seeds so they would go through in the event of another draw. With 16 minutes gone we were 2 goals down and effectively out. To give my boys credit though, they fought hard in the second half and got a goal back but never really threatened as we went out 3-2 on aggregate.

All in all, a successful first season in the top flight. Survival was the aim and came about comfortably in the end. Hopefully, we can get another good points total up next season, which will give us a good headstart in the average points table.

The Players

The following guys were the standout performers this season:

Jeronimo Barrales - really made a difference once he hit form. He was injured for the play-offs again though. Hopefully he'll stay fit next season!

Alejandro Sanchez - adjusted to the higher level brilliantly. Solid at the back and threatening at the other end from corners too. Finished 3rd in the 1st Division Defender of the Season poll and made the Team of the Year. :thup:

Wilmer Raudales - The Honduran had another great season on the left and also made the 1st Division Team of the Year.

Alberto Soto - Played a key role on the right wing. Also made the Team of the Year and was voted second in the winger of the year poll.

The only problem I face now is that Sanchez, Raudales and Soto all have just 1 year left on their contracts and are refusing to sign new ones. If I can't get them to sign new deals over the summer, I may be forced to sell rather than lose them on frees as the club is still 800k in the red...

Estudiantes Santander, 2011-12 Mexican 1st Division Apertura

I knew I would have a tougher time this season as we were drawn into a much more difficult group than last season and getting a spot in the top two would be difficult. A number of my key players were also starting to make noises about wanting to leave but with no transfer funds to replace them, I had to force them to stay.

That affected our form early on as we struggled to score goals and win games and slipped down the acerage ponts table. Things turned around when I decided to ignore the odds and expectations we would struggle in every match and started to use a more ttacking tatcic. ıt paid off as we began to churn out the wins and move in the right direction up the table. As we came into the last match, we were 3rd in our group, level with 2nd placed Tigres but behind on goal difference - they had a GD of +2 to our +1. I needed to better their result to make the play-offs but it was not to be as they won and we lost to in-form Monterrey. Even more gutting, had we picked up a pont from that last game, we would have pipped Moreila to one of the best runner-up spots! For this year, our apertura ends without a play-off appearnce.

Apertura Group Tables

Our good form after the first few matches sees us sitting in the middle of the average points table so I expect we can avoid relegation easily this year. :)

The standout player so far has been Juan Moreno. He’s set up plenty of goals from the right and scored a few too – just as well seeing as last year’s first choice Albert Soto has agreed a deal to leave the club. Young centre back Alejandro Sanchez and Honduran left winger Rudales are leaving in January too. That will leave the team weaker as we head into the clasura but it also means our debts are finally cleared as we earned a total of 4 mil + clauses from the deals. ;) Not that the club is giving me much of it back for transfers.... :(

Estudiantes Santander, 2011-12 Mexican 1st Division Clasura

In the apertura, we had missed out on the play-offs but we had shown good form in the last few matches and I would be looking to carry that into the clasura. I was initially concerned that losing three first team standard players would hurt us but it didn't. If anything we started to play better with the unhappy players out of the picture. There were a couple of new faces as I signed an experienced DM Torres on a free and a young Argentine from Atletico Madrid for 90k, who would act as a replacement for Raudales.

We kept on grinding out the results, picking up a series of good draws and wins that saw us move quickly up to the top of the table. Our progress to the play-offs was far from certain though as two of the other teams in my group, Monterrey and Atlas, we doing well also and I still had to play most of the top teams. Starting with six games to go, we picked up three massive wins against Cruz Azul, Atlas and Veracruz, which secured our play-off spot. Our good form finally deserted us for the last three matches though as we lost to Pumas, America and Monterrey but I was happy to have made the play-offs and put the side in a position where relegation didn't even enter our thoughts.

Clasura Group Tables

In the play-offs, we were paired with Atlas. Unfortunately, the 3 defeats we suffered at the end of the regular season had hit team confidence a bit and we put in a poor showing in the 1st leg, losing 3-1. I then changed things about and gave the players a few stern words before the 2nd leg. We scored an early goal but despite constant pressure could not score the second that would have put us through as we were defeated 3-2 on aggregate.

There was good news however. Our 4th placed finish in the Clasura Overall Table had earned us a place in the Copa Sudamericana for next season! Hopefully, that will bring some more money in and increase our chances in the transfer market. :thup:

The standout players of the season were as follows:

Juan Moreno - continued his great form and deservedly won the Fans Player of the Year award along with the 1st Division Young Player of the Year. He was also nominated for the Player of the Year and Attacking Midfielder of the Year awards too.

Jose Ramirez - this player was my first signing ever at the club and has proved to be the best. He played consistently well at right back and, best of all, always says he is happy at the club whenever other managers praise him.

Jeronimo Barrales - topscorer again although he was inconsistent at times. I'll be looking for more goals next season.

Estudiantes Santander, 2012-13 Mexican 1st Division Apertura

This time round the first half of the season was action-packed as in all competitions we played 31 games compared to 17 at the same stage last year! We got through it all though with somewhat mixed results.

Copa Sudamericana

I'll start with our first foray into continental football as our top 4 finish in the clasura last season eanred us a spot in South America's answer to the UEFA Cup. Our 1st round match up against Libertad of Paraguay was a walk in the park. A 1-0 win at home was followed by a massive 8-0 victory away sending us into the next round to face fellow Mexicans Monterrey. I was apprehensive about the game as Monterrey were in fine form at the top of the table while we were struggling to find form at the time. However, league form was not a factor as we won the home leg with surprising ease 3-0. Monterrey scored two first half goals in the return game to make us sweat but a goal for us early in the second half effectively killed the tie and gave us a 4-2 aggreagte win.

Onto the quarter finals where we would face defending champions Internacional of Brazil. Playing away first we were completely outclassed and lucky to only lose by 3 goals. Nilmar and D'Alessandro were just too good for us. At home, I told the lads the pressure was off and actually fielded a slightly weakened side as I rested a couple of players for upcoming league games. A early goal from winger Moreno gave us a glimmer of hope and a second from the same player before halftime gave us a great chance. In the second half, Internacional were all over us as they sought to put the game beyond doubt. With 5 minutes left, I threw caution to the wind and went all out attack. It paid off as 7 minutes into iinjury time, the ball came to an unmakred Moreno in the box allowing the winger to complete his hat-trick and level the tie! There was no extra time and the game went straight to penalites. Unforunately, our luck then ran out as Internacional won the shoot-out 5-3. Still, I was impressed with the boys for coming back from 3-0 down to level the tie on aggregate.

We got a nice surprise a few gamesinto the season as a news item came that we had qualified for the NACL! We were entered into the prelim round to play Allianza. I took the home tie a bit lightly and only managed a 1-0 win but a 4-0 victory away secured our place in the group stage. Communicaciones didn't provide much opposition as we beat them 3-0 home and away. Victoria (HON) were slightly tougher as we drew 0-0 away but then won by 4 goals at home. The toughest ties were against LA Galaxy. At home, we took the game to them and went 2 goals up but they managed to level the match with their only two decent chances of the game. Away, we played out a dull goaless draw. In then end, the points dropped away to Victoria cost us the chance to top the group but qualificaiton was the goal and that was achieved. :thup:

NACL Group C Final Table

The competition resumes after the winter break with the quarter finals and, predictably, only Mexican and American teams are left. We will play LA Galaxy again and, based on the group clashes, I think we have a decent chance of making the semis.

Apertura

While all that continental action was going on, we still had domestic business to attend to. We got off to a slow start as injury problems coupled with 3 of my best young players being away at the Olympics led to poor form. Things started to pick up once everyone was available for selection again but it was difficult to get any momentum with all the continental games and fixtures constantly being rescheduled. Once we were out of the Sudamericana and done with the group stage of the NACL, we still had a chance of making the play-offs as one of the best third-placed teams. To do that, we had to beat Santos Laguna to 3rd in our group and get more points than Chivas to claim the last best-third placed spot. Going into the final game, we had acquired more points than Chives but we needed a win against Tigres to leapfrog Santos Laguna. An early goal set us on our way but in the second half, the players started to tire and we conceded 2 goals in the last 15 minutes meaning there would be no play-off appearance this time.

Apetura Group Tables

Apetura Overall Table - our overall position here means we miss out on the Interliga.

Onto the remainder of the season then. Hopefully we can find some form in the clasura and make the play-offs. I'll be aiming for a spot in the NACL semis too. Before that though, I need to make a couple of signings - a new GK is a must along with a left winger. An in-form striker would be a help too!

Estudiantes Santander, 2012-13 Season Review

Apertura: 4th in Group 1 | 11th Overall

Clasura: 3rd in Group 1 | 8th Overall | Play-off semi finals

Copa Sudamericana: Quarter finals

North American Champions League: Quarter finals

Quite an active season as we entered continental competition for the first time on two fronts. As already documented, we missed out on the apertura play-offs due to a horrendous fixture pile-up resulting from our involvement in the Sudamericana and NACL group stages.

When the clasura got underway, we were in poor form and struggled to get a run of decent results together. Our only in-form striker Francisco was ruled out for 2 months too and we just couldn't score without him. That left us low on confidence heading into our NACL quarter final clash with LA Galaxy. An injury to our 1st choice goalie didn't help matters and we got a good thumping in the away leg as we lost 6-2. We quickly went two up in the return game but two lapses in defence in the second half allowed LA to level the match and win 8-4 on aggregate.

That allowed us to concentrate on the league. Our best chance to reach the play-offs was to reach 3rd in our group by catching Santos Laguna. they were a few points ahead and had a game in hand but we got Francisco back and started to score and win again and gradually chipped away at their lead. A win over Monterrey followed by Santos laguna losing that game in hand meant we were ahead on goal difference with two games left. We had a tough task though as we had to play Pumas and Chivas away. It all looked to be over as we found ourselves 2 goals down at Pumas with Santos Laguna winning. We then staged an amazing comeback to win 3-2 and stay in contention. There was drama in the last game too as we drew 1-1 with Chivas. Santos Laguna were 2-1 up in their game but conceded an equliser in injury time, putting us through to the play-offs!

In the quarters we got America, champions in 4 og the last 5 play-off series. A 1-1 draw at home was respectable and we somehow managed to follow it with a 3-1 win away sending us into the semis. There we faced Monterrey once again but our luck ran out here as we were beaten 3-1 on aggregate.

Key Players

Juan Moreno was a standout performer again this year but missed quite a few games through injury. He got a call up to the Mexico squad at the end of the season too.

Francisco was a new signing last summer and turned out to be a great bit of business as he finished second topscorer in the league and was named 'signing of the season'. Had he stayed fit all season, we might have done even better in the league.

One to watch...

I picked up an interesting player in January: Chan Chun Kin has dual Mexican and Hong Kong nationality and is rated as a leading left back of the future and yet his former club, Atlante, lt me have him for free! :D

The Season Ahead

I'm not sure if I'm back in any continental competitions next season as it seems there is no way of telling for sure until the draws are made. If we're not involved, that will be the aim. I also need to find a better goalie and a reliable strike partner for Francisco.

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division Apertura, 2013-14 Season

Another half season done and time for another report. :)

Despite this being my 4th season in the top flight, the board again just asked me to attempt to avoid relegation (I've also noticed my team is still referred to as 'newly promoted' in news items :confused:). I sold more than I bought in the summer as a few players were unhappy and I've found that squad harmony is just as important as quality in this save. The sales (striker Barrales, DM Torres and left back Hernandez being the biggest departures) raised enough cash to put the club firmly in the black and I got the board to agree to improvements for next summer for the first time ever. :thup:

The apertura started well as we won our first 4 games and went top of the overall table. We then had a bad patch with a lot of injuries but we came through it and when the squad was fit again we started to move back up the table. Eventually we booked our spot in the play-offs with 3 games to spare, topping our group and coming 2nd in the overall table.

Apertura Groups | Overall Table

In the play-offs, we drew Jaguares first. Injuries hit us again with my 5 best strikers all out! :eek: Predictably, bıth games finished 0-0 but we advanced thanks to our higher league position. Atlas were up next in the semis. I was able to put a couple of half fit strikers on the bench but they would only be used in an amergency. That emergency came as we went 3 goals down. My super right winger Moreno (also just back from injury) then worked his magic as he pulled one back with 5 minutes to go and then hit the post 2 minutes later. As the players scrambled for the rebound, one of our players was tripped and we got the penalty and the match finished 3-2. In the home leg, we scored early to level the tie and then took the lead. Atlas scored late on but we held our nerve for a 4-4 aggregate score with us again advancing due to our league position.

All of a sudden, we found ourselves in the apertura final with America as our opponents. we were heavy underdogs and it showed as we went 2-0 down early on. That was how it finished and we would need a mighty performance in the home leg to come back. America scored early to extend their advantage but we manged to score twice before half-time to put ourselves in with a shout. We pushed for a third in the second half but it was not to be and in the last 5 minutes, America hit us on the break to make it 2-2 on the night, 4-2 to them on aggregate.

The first part of the season wasn't quite over though as we were entered into the Interliga for the first time. We got a tough group with Cruz Azul, Chivas and America again, all to be played in the space of 4 days. The opener against Cruz Azul finished in a fair 1-1 draw. In the next match, we managed to beat Chivas 1-0 despite only having 3 shots al game compared to their 15! That meant a draw against America would be enough. An early goal gave us hope but as America were in danger of going out, they rallied and easily came back to beat us 3-1. Chivas won their last game meaning we would bow out 3rd in the group.

Interliga Group A

Now the clasura is our focus for the rest of the season. It may be tough though as a lot of my first team players have become unsettled and/or unhappy due to transfer rumours to the point where the board is 'dismayed by the lack of harmony at the club' so I may be selling again to keep a good dressing room atmosphere...

Estudiantes Santander, 2013-14 Season Review

Season Overview

Apertura:Finalists

Interliga: Group Stage

Clasura: Finalists

After our successful apertura and first ever Interliga appearnce, I was optimistic about the rest of the season. That optimism evaporated though as several players became unsettled during the January transfer window, resulting in a poor start to the clasura campaign. My patience paid off though as three key players (Goriosto, my goalie, Moreno and Francisco) calmed down eventually and declared themselves happy with life at the club and our form picked up as a result. We started to catch Chivas, who were second in our group, and we overtook them with three games to go by beating them 4-0. In the next match, we got a measure of revenge over America for our apetura final and Interliga defeats as we won and secured our play-off spot. That run gave us enough confidence to produce this result in the final match and suddenly the confidence from earlier in the season was flowing again!

Clasura Group Tables | Clasura Overall Table

In the quarter finals, we drew America. We came from behind in the home leg to grab a 3-2 win. The second leg was all about America as they piled the pressure on but to no avail as we shut them out to advance 3-2 on aggregate. In the semis, we faced Santos Laguna and an assured performance in the first leg gave us a 3-1 win. We played tight in the second leg and, although they scored a late goal, we got the aggregate win and made the final! Atlas were our opponents there. A close fought away leg left us 2-1 down but I felt we could overturn it. Alas, an own goal and a red card in the first half of the second leg put us in a tough position. Early in the second half we were 2 goals down but somehow clawed two goals back despite being down to ten men. Any hopes of completing an amazing comeback were dashed as we were reduced to 9 men late on and so Estudiantes suffer the agony of losing the apetura and clasura finals in the same season. :(

Clasura Final

Key Players

Francisco Noreiga - this guy just gets better and better. He was a rock at the back and scored 11 goals at the other end too. We missed him for the play-offs though as he was called into the Mexico World Cup Squad. He was also runner-up in the Mexican Defender of the Year award.

Juan Moreno - He was still a key player despite his big sulk mid-season. he was chosen as the Young Player of the Year and was runner-up in the Player of the Season too. not sure how long I can hold onto him as clubs like Bayern Munich have started to register their interest. Still, if he goes, he won't be cheap ;)

Francisco - finished topscorer in the league, runner-up in Young Player of the Year and runner-up in Striker of the Year and scooped the FAns' Player of the Year too. Unfortunately he was injured for the clasura final and we definitely missed him.

The Season Ahead....

I'll be looking to challenge for domestic honours again but I'll need to strengthen the squad first, especially as I will probably be forced to part company with some players when the 'bigger clubs' start bidding. I expect I'll be back in the Copa Sudamericana, NACL and Interliga again so I will need to add depth just to cope with the number of games. The board has agreed to upgrade facilities for the first time too but they have ruled out any expansion to the stadium for now.

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division 2014-15 Apetura Review

Another half-season done and another update:

Apertura

We got off to a very slow start this year as some key players either left or wanted to leave and my new recruits and promoted youth players struggled to cope. We didn't get a single win in our first seven games but we managed to turn it around after some confidence boosting North American Champoins League wins (see below) and went unbeaten in the last ten games. That coupled with poor form from some of our rivals meant we were able to qualify for the play-offs with a couple of games to spare. :thup:

Apertura Group Tables | Overall Table

In the play-offs, we were paired with America once again. They ended our unbeaten run in the first leg as we lost 1-0. In the return leg, away from home, we really took the game to them but we just couldn't break through due to a combination of tight defending, great goalkeeping (Ochoa hasn't moved to Europe yet!) and poor luck (hit the woodwork three times!).

We started the competition in the preliminary round agin and gave Harbour View of Jamaica a good drubbing over two legs as we won 11-1 on aggregate with a team of youth and reserve players. In the Group Stage, we were placed into Group B along with FC Dallas (USA), Communicaciones (Guatemala) and Maraton (Honduras). We manged to top the group with ease as we won all 6 games and handed out some major beatings to our Central American opponents. We had two good wins against FC Dallas as well, beating them 2-1 home and away.

Group Stage Tables

The competition will resume at the quarter final stage in Febraury and we will return to Pizza Hut Park (love that stadium name :D) to play FC Dallas again. The board are expecting a semi final appearance so I hope we can repeat our performances from the group clashes.

Interliga

For the second year in a row, we were invited to the mid-season Interliga tournament with a chance to qualify for the Copa Libatadores. We scraped a 1-1 draw with Morelia in our first group game but we produced a much better performance in the next match as we upset all odds to beat heavy favourites Pumas 4-1. :D That meant a draw in the last match against Monterrey would be enough to see us through. An early red card for our opponents was a great help and we then strolled to a 3-0 win to top the group.

Group Table

In the final round, we played the runners-up from the other group, Tecos. We played very poorly though, going 2 goals down in the first half. We pulled one back just before the break but then went 3-1 down in the second half. We clawed one back after going all out attack but it wasn't enough. The Libatadores will have to wait for another season...

Interliga Final

As we head into the clasura, there will be major changes at the club as I have sold my star central defender Noreiga after he demanded to leave. He's off to Catania in Italy with 4mil + clauses coming the other way. A few squad players who were unhappy (either about lack of first team play or getting too big for thier boots) are on the way out too. I have a number of players coming in to bolster the squad. A few won't feature regularly for a season or two but they are classed as some of the best young players in Mexico so I hope I get the chance to develop them and win something with them before they want to leave. The transfers out have given the club a bank balance of 12 milllion as well and as we are filling our stadium for every game now, I'm hoping for a new home or at least an expansion at the end of this season. ;)

Estudiantes Santander, 2014-15 Mexican First Division Clasura

Clasura

A few new faces came in for the second half of the season and a few unhappy faces went out. It had the desired effect as we were in fine from, quickly rising to the top of the standings and jostling for position with Atlante and America. The goals came in plentiful supply as we scored more than anyone else (but also had one of the worst defensive records too ;)). In the end, America just pipped us to top spot but we qualified for the play-offs with ease.

Clasura Overall Table | Group Tables

Cruz Azul were our opponent in the quarter finals. Two solid performances resulted in 2-1 wins in both legs and we advanced to the semis to face Pumas. A poor performance in the away leg meant defeat and we were lucky that it was only by one goal. In the home leg, a terrible start saw us go 2 goals down. We managed to pull level in the second half and we had a great chance as we took the game to them in the last ten minutes and they were reduced to ten men. Unfortunately, our advantage didn't last long as my right winger Gomez elbowed a Pumas defender in the face and got a striaght red. Then, one of my strikers Hernandez argued with the ref and, as he was already on a yellow, was ent off as well. With 9 men for the last five minutes, we couldn't get the goal we needed and that was the end of our title bid.

Clasura Semi Final

After easy qualificaiton from the group stage, we resumed the competition against FC Dallas. An impressive performance at home was slightly spoiled by a late goal for Dallas, meaning we won 2-1. In the away leg, we took the lead twice but ended up drawing the match 2-2 to go through 4-3 on aggregate. In the semis, we faced old foes America. The first leg saw lots of action as both sides were decimated by international call-ups. The 4-4 scoreline put America in the driving seat and they sealed their passage to the final with a 1-0 win in the second leg, sending us out 5-4 on aggregate.

The Players

There were no real standout players this year as we relied on mainly good team performances to win through and had to rotate the squad a lot due to injuries and players leaving. The following three made a difference though:

Francisco - finished as topscorer in the league and won fans' player of the year. Narrowly missed out on the player of the year and striker of the year awards too. Suffered a few minor injuries though which stopped him making a greater impact.

Daniel Garza - came in as a replacement for Noreiga in January and made an immediate impact as he nodded in two headers on his Interliga debut and went on to score 10 goals and pick up 8 MoM awards, a new club record. :thup: Not bad for a defender! Was named as signing of the season too.

Robert Flores - this guy was available for free in January and his ability to play all over midifield was useful when we were going through an injury crisis. That eanred him runner-up in signing of the season and he has just gained Mexican nationality as well. :)

The Club

Work has begun on further improvements to the training and youth facilities but there is no sign of a new stadium yet even though we are filling the stadium for every game and we have sold 9,500 season tickets with a capcity of 12,000. there is plenty of money available for transfers, not that I can spend any of it. :p The board takeover looks like it will take longer than the transfer window but it is rumoured that the new guy will spend 11 million to buy controlling stake so I'm hoping he'll have some spare cash to pump into the club too!

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division Apertura, 2015-16

After good progress last season, the only word to describe this season so far is 'disappointing'.... First of all, despite finishing second in the overall clasura standings last season and reaching the play-offs twice, we did not qualify for any of the continental competitions (I still haven't got a clue how the qualification works as a few seasons ago, we missed out on the apetura play-offs, finshed 4th overall all in the clasura but were knocked out in the first play-off round and the next season we were in the NACL and the Copa Sudamericana :confused:).

The club became embroilled in a takeover saga as well which prevented transfers and ended up affecting team morale. I started to get messages saying the takeover was nearly complete only to see another message a few days later saying the deal was on the verge of collapse. This cycle continued for several weeks and the players' confidence started to drop. ıt showed in our results after a promsing start was followed by a run of seven games without a win. Somehow, we managed to stay in contention for a play-off place as one of the best-third placed teams from the groups. On the final day, we had to beat 2nd-placed Monterrey at home and hope Tecos lost at home to leaders Atlante. An early second half goal for us was followed by three for Atlante in the other game allowing us to scrape into a frankly undeserved play-off place.

Apetura Overall Table | Group Tables

A tough draw pitched us against Atlante in the play-off quarter finals. We took the lead in the home leg and it looked like we would grab an unexpected win until our opponents levelled the match with 5 minutes to go. We were outclassed in the second leg and ended up crashing out 5-2 on aggregate.

To add to the diasappointment, we were not included in the draw for the Interliga and, ust as the transfer window re-opened, the whole takeover saga started again. :rolleyes: Hopefully, it won't drag on so much this time...

Estudiantes Santander 2015-16 Mexican First Division Clasura

I'm not really sure what went wrong this season but, if the apetura was disappointing, the clasura was somehow worse as we failed to make the play-offs for the first time in 5 years. :( The main problem was inconcistency as we would win a couple and then lose a couple. I had a fair few unhappy players which didn't help either and I was unable to get any decent form out of my strikers as they either got injured or were too young to handle the pressure. Francisco, my star of the past few years, was particularly poor. Granted, he missed most of the apetura with a broken foot but he stayed fully fit throughout the clasura and didn't manage to score a single goal.... I made some changes to my tactical instructions which brought some better play and better results but I was unable to change our fortune away from home and that cost us as we finished 4th in our group, not even close to the play-offs. A season to forget.

Now, I need to set about rebuilding for next season. I'm going to sell most of the complainers as I feel they really disrupted the squad last season. I'm definitely selling an Argentine midfielder as I have a fantastic prospect from Guatemala in my reserves who is now ready for the first team. I need to replace my full backs and wingers and get a new AMC too. I have the money (20 million pound transfer budget :eek:); it's just a matter of finding players who can improve the team to spend it on.

Estudiantes Santander, 2016-17 Mexican 1st Division Apetura

Apetura League Stage

After taking a couple of steps backwards last season, I felt it was time to ring the changes in Altamira. Out went 4 first team members who were sulking about going to bigger clubs and they were replaced by younger players with the potential to be as good, if not better. I was hoping the new faces would bring back the good dressing room atmosphere we had thrived on in the early years and that is exactly what happened as we won our first 7 games and then stayed there or thereabouts at the top. Although we ended up losing two games, I never felt that we were outplayed and we were able to approach the play-offs with confidence.

Apetura Play-Offs

Pachuca were our quarter final opponents. A 0-0 draw away was a decent result and on our own turf, we were able to get the necessary result to advance 3-1 on aggregate.

Chivas, another team who had rediscovered form after a poor campaign last season, were up next in the semis. An assured home performance in the first leg earned us a good 2-0 win and a similar performance away got us a 1-0 win to send us into the final 3-0 overall.

Our old foes America provided the opposition in the final. A tight home leg finished all square at 1-1 leaving us with a bit of work to do away from home. A packed Azteca stadium (104,000 fans turned up! :eek:) didn't phase my boys though as we kept America at bay and scored the only goal of the game early in the second half, handing us a 2-1 aggregate win and our first ever 1st Division title! :D

Obviously, the title brought us all sorts of adulation from the board, the media and the fans, who will be talking to the mayor of Altamira soon. ;)

Interliga

After missing out last year, our good form saw us return to the Interliga. We had a tough group with Atlante and Pumas to contend with as well as Moreila. We outplayed Atlante in the opening game but we were denied a deserved win by a late goal as the match finished 1-1. In the next match against Moreila, we were simple brilliant as we destroyed them 5-0. We still needed a point to get through and that's just what we got as our match with Pumas finished goaless and we made it to the finals.

Interliga Group Stage

History repeated itself as we faced Tecos in our final, just as we had done two years previously. We had lost out that day and would be looking for revenge this time. The match got off to a bad start for us though as we went 2 goals down before halftime. I got the hairdryer out during the break and it worked as we drew level and forced extra time. There was only going to be one winner from there on as we dominated the 30 minute period and were unlucky only to score one more.

Interliga Final

Phase one of the challenge is complete then as Estudiantes Santander become Mexican 1st Division Champions! Our victory in the Interliga gives us a shot at Phase 2 as well - the Copa Libatadores...

The Players

I was really impressed with so many of my players over the last 6 months and all of the following deserve a mention:

Daniel Garza - he thought about leaving in the summer but I persuaded him to sign a new deal and it's a good job he did. A rock at the back and a threat from set pieces too.

Chan Chun Kin - initially requested a summer transfer but changed his mind once he returned from the Olympics. Consistent and mature beyond his years at left back.

Robert Flores - the experienced winger is having the best season of his time at Estudiantes just as he turns 30. As one only two players aged over 23, his experience is a key asset.

Victor Riveros - after being forced to sell my first choice left winger in the summer, this guy stepped off the bench and made me wish I'd sold the other guy sooner! He has started to attract attention from elsewhere though and dissappointingly requested a transfer the day after we won the title.

Roberto Mendez - I promoted this guy from the reserves after freeing up some spots in our foreigner quota and he slotted straight into the heart of midfield.

Maynor Chinchilla - I took a gamble here by excluding out of sorts Francisco so I couıld put this Guatemalan striker in. After taking a few games to settle, the gamble paid off as he scored some vital goals towards the end of our league campaign and in the Interliga as well.

Oscar Herrera - this guy was something of a surprise. ı only played him initially due to injuries but he ended up holding down a place in the side and providing plenty of assists from right back even though my coaches only rate him as a decent 1st Division A player.

Roberto Santibanez - all summer this guy was being chased by America and Atalante as well as the likes of Bayern Munich and Ajax so I thought as I had the money, I may as well try to sign him. to my surprise, he chose us and immediately became a key meber of the midfield.

Fernando Martinez - even better than the above, I beat a whole host of clubs to this guy when his contract expired. With 35 caps fro Mexico, he is by far the most experienced international in my squad but at just 23, has many years ahead of him too.

A monster update there! But this season has been such a huge turnaround from the last one that I thought it was worth it. ;)

Estudiantes Santander, 2016-17 Mexican 1st Division Clasura

Clasura

We just picked up where we left off in the apetura here as we quickly rose to the top and stayed there. We secured our place in the play-offs with 4 games to spare and we guaranteed top spot with a game to go as Atlante, despite having games in hand, couldn't catch us.

Clasura Play-offs

The quarter final draw paired us with Veracruz (who, due to the average points system, bizarrely secured a play-off spot and escaped relegation on the last day of the regular season!). They were easily dispatched by a second string side, 3-1 on aggregate.

We faced America (MEX) in the semis. In the past they had been something of a bogey team for us but we showed how times had changed as we walked all over them in the first leg and ran out 6-0 winners!! :eek: I then fielded a weak side in the second leg and lost 4-1 but the board and fans were still full of praise for the 7-4 aggregate victory.

Onto the final where we faced our main rivals for honours, Atlante. An excellent performance in the away leg saw us earn a 2-1 win. Unfortunately, all our hard work was undone in the second game as Atlante scored two early goals. We rallied in the second half and pulled one back to level the scores on aggregate. Extra time produced no further goals and so the clasura title would be decided on penalties. Both sides showed nerves of steel as the first 12 penalties were all scored. Atlante missed the unlucky 13th kick though and captain Daniel Garza kept his cool to score and give us the title!

Clasura Final

Copa Libertadores

All this went on in tandem with our first appearance in South America's premier competition. The group stage was surprisingly easy with only Gremio offering a real challenge while Bolivar and Atletico Nacional just made up the numbers. In the end, we topped the group with our only dropped points coming in a 1-0 loss away to Gremio.

Group B Table

We faced San Lorenzo of Argentina in the 2nd round with the first leg away from home. In a great perfromance, we played them off the park and won 3-0 without giving them a shot on goal! :eek: San Lorenzo went on the attack in the second leg but we held them off for a 1-1 draw and advnced 4-1 on aggregate.

If the away win against San Lorenzo was unexpected, our 1st leg performance in the quarter finals was absolutely unbelieveable. When Boca came out of the hats as our opponents, I thought "that's it for this season" but we pulled off an outstanding performance to send them packing 4-0!!! :D (This rout included a great goal by Riveros, which will be appearing in the CSE Goal of the Month thread soon. ;)) I stuck with my attacking formation for the away leg and it worked as we dominated them in the first half and were unlucky to go in level at 1-1. Boca gave us a scare in the second half as they scored 3 goals in quck succession but we regained control after that to hold onto the 5-4 aggregate win (I think the match stats show the scoreline didn't reflect how well we played).

So here we were in the semis and suddenly it seemed that the challenge could be completed. We were drawn with fellow Mexican outfit Atlante. I would have rather faced foriegn opposition but at least this was team we knew we could beat if we played well. We did play well but so did they and an even home leg finished 2-2. That meant we had to go for the win away but we got off to a terrible start, going behind after just 6 minutes. We manged to level the match and the tie in the second half but we were still behind on away goals. Despite lots of pressure and chances, we couldn't get the goal we needed and we suffered the agony of being eliminated on away goals. (To make it worse, 3 days we later we would come back to the same stadium and get the win we couldn't manage here in the clasura final....)

Nevertheless, this was a fantastic season for the club as we won both the apetura and clasura tournaments and exceeded expectations in the Libertadores. As we won both titles domestically, we don't have to play the Champions Trophy or Interliga next season - we qualify direct for another crack at the Libertadores! However, we will have to contend with the fixture pile-up brought about by being in the NACL as well.

Star Players

As I went into a lot of detail on my squad in the last update, I won't mention too many players this time.

Daniel Garza deserves another mention as he captained the team so well and won the Mexican Defender of the Season award. He also scored an amazing 15 goals, including 12 in the league enabling him to finish as 8th highest scorer - not bad for a central defender!

Jorge Romero became a first team regular after my first choice left winger Riveros demanded a transfer and lost form. He made sure we didn't miss the Paraguayan though with some great performances in the league.

Adolfo Figuero was a revelation in the second half of the season on the right wing. He was brought into the side when Fores broke his foot but slotted straight in like a seasoned pro. By the end of the season, he was being tracked by AC Milan and Bayern Munich but he has expressed his loyalty to the club and signed a new contract.

The Season Ahead

I'll be looking to retain at least one of my titles and I think we can win the NACL too. Another good run in the Libertadores would be nice and, who knows, maybe the challenge can be completed....

Estudiantes Santander, 2017-18 Mexican 1st Division Apetura

Apetura

Our easiest league campaign yet with the only defeat coming to a jammy injury time winner from an America side reduced to 10 men :rolleyes:

Apetura Play-offs

After breezing through the league stage, we made a bit of a meal of the play-offs. Pachuca were our opponents in the quarter finals and two draws left the aggregate score tied at 3-3 but we advanced as the higher seeds. In the semis, we got a good 2-1 away win at Monterrey followed by a 1-1 draw at home to go through to the final 3-2 on aggregate.

Pumas were the other finalists. A tight away leg finished 1-1 thanks to a late goal from sub Rotondo. I gave him a starting berth for the return match and it paid off as he scored twice in the opening half hour to give us the advantage. Pumas pulled one back but never looked like getting back into it as we kept our lead and secured the 3-2 aggregate win and ur third successive championship! :D

Apetura Final

The shock elimination of Salt Lake in the qualifying round meant we had a super easy group with no MLS opposition. My reserves and youth players strolled past Alajuelense (Costa Rica), Motagua (Honduras) and Panama Viejo (Panama) scoring 21 goals without reply. Kansas City Wizards await in the quarters when the competition restarts in February.

Group C Table

Star Players

Gerado Gonzaléz - worth every penny of the 8.75mil we splashed out on him in July. :thup:

Elvio Rotondo - this Argentine has been here for a year already but struggled to settle at firsdt and then had bad luck with injuries. Once he found fitness and form though, he was invaluable especially in the play-offs. I'll be looking for more of the same in the second half of the season.

The Rest of the Season

We will be competing on three fronts as we have the clasura, the remainder of the NACL and the Copa Libatadores to contend with. I just hope my squad can cope with the inevitable fixture congestion...

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division, 2017-18 Clasura

Clasura

We started the second half of the season well as we chased a 4th successive title but in the run-in we started to play like Liverpool and my formerly tight defence started to leak goals and we ended up invloved in a few high-scoring victoires, draws and defeats. That meant we ended up 2nd in our group behind Pumas and 3rd in the overall table.

Play-offs

We drew America in the first round of the play-offs and lost out 1-0 in a tight away leg. the return was not so tight with the lead changing hands several times before a late goal handed us a 4-3 win and tied the aggregate score at 4-4. We advanced due to our higher league position. The semi pitted us against Pumas, who had been in great from all season. We scraped a 1-1 draw away but that meant we had to win at home as Pumas had the favour of the higher league poisition this time. We went a goal down early on but staged a dramatic comeback to win with another late goal and go through to the final 3-2 on aggregate. We faced Cruz Azul for the title but, in the home leg we put in one of our worst performances of the season and lost 1-0. I gave the players a good dressing down and it worked (just ;)) as we leveled the tie with 9 minutes to go and then won it in the last minute of extra time. The fact that ex-Estudiantes player David Perez got sent off was a great help too of course. :D

Clasura Group Tables | Overall Table | Clasura Final

We resumed the competiton at the quarter-final stage with a tie against Kansas City Wizards. 2-1 wins home and away sent us through to the semis with ease, where we would face America once again. A 1-1 draw at home left us in a difficult position for the 2nd leg but a goal midway through the first half of that game gave us hope. However, America came out fired up for the second half and got the two goals they needed to go through at our expense.

NACL Semi Final

Copa Libertadores

With the disappointment of missing out on the NACL, I concentrated all my efforts on the Copa Libertadores and a chance to complete the challenge. The group stage was a breeze as we thrashed Bolivar (Bolivia) and Maracaibo (Venezuela) home and away, racking up a new record win in the process. Palmerias (Brazil) provided tougher opposition and two clsely fought matches ended up with each side taking a 1-0 win at home. Our goal gluts against the other teams meant we topped the group on goal difference.

Group G Table

Our group stage form gave me confidence heading into the second round, where we faced fellow Mexican team Morelia. A poor performance away resulted in a 1-0 loss and I told the players I would expect much better in the second leg. I got much better but a combination of bad luck and great goalkeeping meant we only got a 1-0 despite completely dominating the game and so the tie was decided by penalties. Unfortunately, my players bottled it while Morelia continued to ride their luck and we were eliminated.

2nd Round

Key Players

Daniel Garza - the centre back was solid at the back and deadly from corners again as he finished 8th topscorer in the league! He was also voted as Mexican Defender of the Season and was part of the Mexico side that finished as runners-up in the World Cup.

Adolfo Figueroa - an amazing 17 assists in the league helped this guy earn the Mexican Player of the Year award. Interest from Europe is high though and I doubt I can keep him for much longer.

Elvio Rotondo - this guy was a little inconsistent, going several games without scoring a few times during the season, but when he was on form, he was unstoppable. Won the Young Player of the Season award and was runner-up in Striker of the Year and the Topscorer charts. I'll be looking for more consistent goalscoring from him next season.

Antonio de la Torre - this defender was not really a star this season but he is one to watch. I signed him in January after my scouts said he was already a good 1st Division player despite only being 17. I splashed the cash, paying 6-5 mil for him, but I think he will be worth it.

The Season Ahead....

Missing out on the NACL and Libertadores this season was a big blow as I don't think I can keep my current crop of players together with the signs of unhappiness and desire to leave already showing in some key players. The next season is likely to be one of consolidaiton as I sell off the want-away players and try to bring through some youngsters. We will have plenty of games to blood the new talent though as top spot in the apetura table gets us into the NACL again, 3rd in the clasura table gets us into the Copa Sudamericana and winning both titles gets us straight into the Libertadores group stage! Time for a trophy hunt!

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division, 2018-19 Season Review

Apertura

With the now routine summer saga of players wanting to leave, we made a slow start while the transfer windows came to a close and I waited for the players to settle down. I shipped out some squad players and a couple of strikers who weren’t living up to their earlier potential. The only incoming players were signings for the future so my first remained largely the same. Once the unhappy players had clamed down, we found form and started to work our way up the table and into the play-off spots. We eventually finished 3rd, but we were some distance behind Cruz Azul and Atlante at the top.

Apertura Play-offs

Still, the great thing abıout the Mexican league is that league form gets thrown out of the window as the play-offs come round to decide the champions. We drew Toluca in the first round and easily dispatched them 5-2 on aggregate. Our semi-final opponents were Atlante but they were in the midst of a fixture pile-up due to their involvement in 4 concurrent competitons. We took advantage and, despite losing the first leg 3-2, reached the final 5-3 on aggregate. Cruz Azul stood between us and a 5th consecutive title but a 4-0 home win for us in the first game effectively ended the tie. We lost the return game 2-0 but the title was secured 4-2 on aggregate. :thup:

(Forgot to take a screenshot of the final)

Interliga

I was surprised to be drawn in the Interliga tournmament (to determine which teams go to the Copa Libertadores) as I thought winning both titles the previous season qualified me automatically (guess I still haven’t figured out the Mexican qualificaiton process :confused:). We got off to a good start by beating America in our opening group game. A draw with Toluca and a win over Pachuca ensured we topped the group.

Group Phase

In the final, we faced Cruz Azul again in a real end-to-end game. We came from behind twice before going 3-2 up only for our opponents to equalise and force extra time. We ran out of steam in the extra period and Cruz Azul were able to score a 4th meaning the Copa Libertadores would have to wait for another year...

Interliga Final

Clasura

I lost some more unhappy players in January with Chinchilla, Figueroa and Romero all leaving. They all went to rival clubs in Mexico and I think they were unsettled as, despite our recent success, the club rep is still ‘national’. Nevertheless, sqad harmony improved and we performed much better in the league, staying in the top 4 throughout the league phase and eventually coming 2nd behind Atlante.

Clasura Play-offs

Tecos were first up and a 5-1 aggregate win put us into the semis to face Cruz Azul (again!). A 2-1 away defeat put us in a tough position but an assured home performance saw us win 3-0, 4-2 on aggregate. Atlante were our opponents in the final. They had been the team to beat all season but I knew we had a chance as the final clashed with the Gold Cup and Atlante were missing 6 first team players (compared to my one ;)). A good performance away earned us a 1-1 draw. Although we conceded early on in the return leg, we came back to win 2-1 and clinch a 6th consecutive title 3-2 overall

Clasura Final

Copa Sudamericana

We had started the season in this competiton after a 6-year absence. A tough draw paired us with Atlante in the first round. At the time, my team was unsettled and hit by injuries. The situation wasn’t helped by a redcard for my playmaker Gonzalez in the first 5 minutes and we ended up losing 5-2.The return leg was always going to be a struggle and a 2-2 draw meant we crashed out 7-4 on aggregate with the board not best pleased.

The group stage was the usual walk in the park as we won all 6 games and scored 19 in the process, using reserves and youth players throughout. Houston were surprisingly poor and Maraton of Honduras were able to beat them to second place, which was great for us and we were drawn against them in the quarter final.

Group D Table

Maraton were easily beaten 6-1 on aggregate setting up a semi-fianl clash with Pumas. We played at home first and took advantage with a 2-0 win. The second leg finished 1-1 allowing us to advance to the final for the first time. Our opponents there were.... Atlante (that meant we played them 10 times over the course of the season :eek:). In the home leg, we played well but conceded a late goal and tied the game 1-1. In the second leg, we were two goals down by half-time so the second half was all about attack. We pulled one back but as we chased the second, we got caught on the break and lost 3-1 on the night, 4-2 overall.

NACL Final

So, we were able to continue our dominance domestically but I would have happily swopped the play-off wins over Atlante and Cruz Azul for success in the NACL and Interliga...

Key Players

Daniel Garza – a rock at the back once more. He was voted as Mexican Defender of the Season or the second year running.

Juan Manuel Lomeli – I’ve spent the last three years gradually increasing this player’s first team exposure and this season he really came to the fore, forming a great partnership at the back with Garza. Finished the season as part of the Mexico side that reached the final of the Gold Cup and 3rd in the Copa America.

Robert Flores – rolled back the years to have his finest season for the club yet. The oldest player in the first team by 7 years, his experience is invaluable.

Jadson – one of the many great Brazilians my scouts have found. He stepped in after Romero left and started to fufill his potential. Hopefully, he’ll stay for a while.

Jaime Morales – I signed this striker on a free as one for the future. He was in great form in the reserves though and I brought him into the first team for the clasura and he out-performed his more experienced teammates. I’ll be looking for more from him next season.

The Season Ahead....

Our rep went up to continental at the end of the season and it seems players are generally happy to stay as a result. Again, we have the NACL to look forward to and I’ll be hoping for better performances in the Copa Sudamericana and Libertadores (if we qualify of course).

And the board have finally announced plans for a new stadium with a capacity of 18,000. Sadly, when naming the venue, they overlooked their ‘club legend’ of a manager and opted for the somewhat boring ‘Estudiantes Santander Stadium’ instead.

Estudiantes Santander, Mexican 1st Division, 2019-20 Season Review

Domestic Round-up

Apetura: Semi-final

Interliga: Winners!

Clasura: Final

Best to keep this part brief: in the league, we were in good form and stayed up near the top in both the apetura and clasura league phases. We came unstuck against Pumas in the apetura semis as they scored twice in the last 10 mins to beat us 2-1 in the home leg and espite dominating in the return match, we couldn’t score.

Apetura League Table | Group Tables | Semi-final

We got a measure of revenge over Pumas in the Interliga as we played them in the final after topping our group. A 3-2 win ensured we would enter the Copa Libertadores at their expense.

Interliga Group B | Final

We were in great from during the clasura but Pumas were even better and we finished 2nd in the standings behind them. Toluca were easily dispatched in the play-off quarter-finals before we faced Atlante in the semis (we would face Atlante 8 times overall during the season!). A 1-0 away loss was overturned by a composed 2-0 home win to set up a final clash with Pumas. All started well as we scored an early goal in the first leg but once again we got caught out late in the game and ended up with a 1-1 draw. The second leg came just a couple of days before another game of vast importance (see below ;)) and despite taking an early lead, we ended up on the wrong end of a 5-2 thumping. Fair enough though as Pumas were the better team thoughout the league campaign.

Clasura League Table | Group Tables | Final

Continental Round-Up

Copa Sudamericana: Quarter-final

North American Champions League: Winners!!

Copa Libertadores: Winners!!

All the continental action made for a busy season but it was worth it in the end. We started the year in the Copa Sudamericana. An easy first round tie with Emelec of Ecuador was followed by a tougher tie with Botafogo. A 2-0 home win coupled with a 1-1 draw away sent us through to the quarters to meet River Plate of Argentina. We played at home first and gave our opponents a good match but in the end the 1-1 scoreline was fair. In the return we stunned the home support by taking an early lead but after that it was all about River Plate on the attack. We held out until the 70th minute and then it seemed like we would hold on for penalites but another cruel late goal meant we went out 3-2 on aggregate.

The NACL group stage was the ususal breeze as we won all 6 games with our squad players and youngsters getting plenty of run-outs.

Group C Table

Chivas USA were our opponents in the quarters but were no threat as we won 7-0 at home, 4-2 away, 11-2 on aggregate. That set up a semi with Atlante, who had beate us in last year’s final and knocked us out of continental competition on no fewer than 4 previous ocassions. Time for revenge then as we won 2-0 away and 2-1 at home to reach the final for the second year running. The final pitted us against Monterrey, a good side but one I knew we could beat. A 1-0 win away in the first leg was the perfect start. We had a slight moment of worry as Monterrey took the lead early in the second leg but we were ahead by half-time and a second half penalty gave us a 4-1 aggregate win and our first NACL crown. That also means we go to the Club World Championship next season. :thup:

NACL Final

But of course, the NACL does not mean the challenge is over. For that, we needed the Copa Libertadores crown. The preliminry round was a breeze as we dipatched Monagas of Venezuela 13-0 on aggregate. That put us in a group with Cobreloa (Chile), Milionaros (Colombia) and River Plate once again. It was always going to be about us and River battling for top spot. A 3-0 loss in Argentina put us at a disadvantage but a 3-0 win at home levelled things up. Crucially, River dropped points Cobreloa but we didn’t meaning we topped the group.

Group F Table

The second round pitted us against Velez and the pressure was on as the matches were scheduled for the same week as the NACL final. We lost 1-0 in Argentina but we were NACL Champions by the time Velez came to Mexico and that wave of confidence gave us a 2-0 win on the night to advance to the quarter finals.

2nd Round

There we faced Cruzerio and a 1-1 draw at home was a huge blow as our away form against the Brazilian and Argentinian sides was not good. The away leg was one of those nights to remember though as we scored early on to take the lead. Cruzerio equalised in the second half and just as it seemed extra time would be needed, up popped Rotondo to score and give us an unexpected win!

Quarter final

That gave the players the belief that we could go all the way. We faced a tricky task against Atlante (again!) though, with these matches coming at the same time as the clasura semi-final. An error from the goalie saw us go behind early in the first leg but we took control after that and came back to win 2-1. Still, our opponents had an away goal and were out for revenge for their clasura and NACL losses by the time the return leg came around. They were all over us until the 22nd minute when ex-Estudiantes player Fonseca did us a big favour by getting sent off. We used our man advantage well and won 1-0 to go to the final for the first time!

Semi Final

Boca were the team standing between us and glory and I knew the home leg would be key as Boca were poor away from home (in fact we had beaten them 4-0 in the quarter finals 3 years previously). We were all over them in the first half and a hilarious own goal plus a lucky rebound gave us a 2-0 lead to take to Buenos Aires. Boca predictably came at us on their own patch and took the lead but we reamined calm and managed to snatch an equaliser before half-time. That took the fight out of Boca and we were able to dictate the tempo in the second half. A second goal on 70 minutes pretty much sewed it all up and we took the trophy 4-1 on aggregate and completed the challenge in style!

Copa Libertadores Final

Key Players

Juan Manuel Lomeli – This guy really excelled this season in defence. He did an amazing job up front too scoring an amazing 20 goals as he went up for corners and free kicks. Even turned down a ₤14mil move to Real Madrid in January. Won all sorts of accolades including Mexican Defender of the Year, Mexican Young Player of the Year, and Fans’ Player of the Year. I wonder how long I can keep hold of him.

Francisco Javier Blanco – I couldn’t belive my luck when this guy turned down a host of top European sides to join us on a free at the end of last season. He was in great form domestically and in continental competitions and I’m sure we wouldn’t have done as well without him.

Victor Riveros – was a key player in the knockout phase of the NACL and our Copa Libertadores campaign. Would have done even better had he not picked up so mnay injuries early in the season.

Jadson – a great season especially in the league with 12 assists. Meant we didn’t suffer when Riveros was injured.

Elvio Rotondo – didn’t really have a great season as he was in poor form for two-thirds of it. However, if you look at the screenies of our NACL and Copa Libertadores games, you’ll see that he scored some key goals once he found his form, including winning goals against Cruzerio, Atlante and Boca in the Libertadores and goals at turning points in the games against Velez and Monterrey.

2020 Best XI | Overall Best XI

What next?

I want to see how we fare at the Club World Championship plus I still have the Copa Sudamericana, SuperLiga, Recopa and Mexican Champions Trophy to win. Wouldn’t mind a shot at the Mexican national side either ;)

Domestic Competition History

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]  [i][u]Apetura[/u][/i]        [i][u]Clasura[/u][/i]         [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  1st A     Winners        Quarter-final   Promotion play-off winners[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  1st       Semi-final     Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  1st       10th           Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  1st       11th           Semi-final      N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  1st       Final          Final           N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  1st       Quarter-final  Semi-final      Interliga Group Stage[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  1st       Quarter-final  11th            Interliga Final[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga Winners[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  1st       Winners        Winners         N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga final[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  1st       Semi-final     Final           Interliga Winners[/font][/color]

Continental Competition History

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]NACL[/u]          [u]Lib[/u]        [u]Sud[/u]            [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  Quarter-final -          Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  Semi-final    -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  -             Semi-final -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  Semi-final    2nd Round  -              N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  Final         -          1st Round      N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  Winners       Winners    Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color]

[font=Courier New]NACL = North American Champions League; Lib = Copa Libertadores; Sud = Copa Sudamericana[/font]

The Mexican Youth Project – Estudiantes Santander

The Club

I took over at Estudiantes Santander at the start of the 2009/10 season and we immediately won promotion to the top flight in Mexico. The training and youth facilities started out as ‘adequate’ but we were unable to get any improvements for a long time as the club struggled financially. Following a few seasons of sustained success, the board has approved upgrades so training facilites are now ‘top’ and youth facilities are ‘excelllent’. Further upgrades are still possible but have been rejected so far. We’ve had a youth academy since the beginning though. :thup:

The Youth Projects

Prodigy 1 (DL, Mexican)

Enrique Chavéz Initial Profile (July 2010)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2011)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2012)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2013)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 7 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 8 Profile (June 2018) - missing

End of Season 9 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – None

Left foot – Very strong

Right foot – Very weak

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]        [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2010/11    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2011/12    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13   12(5)   1      2    -    6.72[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15    5      -      4    -    7.36  Released at end of contract[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Tecos ‘B’              N/A             2015/16    13     -      3    2    6.76  [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Tecoman                N/A             2016/17    3      -      1    -    6.27[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Morelia ‘B’            N/A             2017/18   22(1)   3      3    -    6.26  Signed on free transfer[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mérida FC              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2018/19    9      3      3    -    6.57[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Morelia                Mexican 1st     2018/19   5(3)    1      2    -    6.44  Released at end of contract[/font][/color]

Initially rated as a potential good 1st Division ‘A’ player, his chances were limited at first as we were promoted immediately and, due to relegation being settled by average points over three years, there were few opportunities to give him a run out. He got more games once we started to qualify for continental competitions as the early rounds commonly feature amateur Caribbean sides. I eventually released him as it was clear he wouldn’t ever become a first-teamer but he had a chance to compete in the second tier. Initially, he was picked up by Tecos and placed in their third-string team Tecoman before moving up to their ‘B’ team. He similarly went through the ranks at Morelia following a free transfer but his inclusion in their first team came about through injuries to 3 other left-backs. He has just been released again and is looking for a new club.

Achievements

· 2019 Morelia Best XI

Prodigy 2 (MC, Mexican)

Josué Ramos Initial Profile (July 2011)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2012)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2013)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 7 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 8 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – runs with ball through centre, gets forward whenever possible, tries killer balls often, shoots from distance

Left foot – Very Strong

Right foot – Very Weak

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]        [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2011/12   3(14)   -      2    -    6.33[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13   4(14)   3      -    -    6.48[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14   7(9)    3      3    -    6.96[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15   3(16)   3      3    1    6.99[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2015/16    20     9      5    2    7.13  Transferred for ₤900k[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2016/17    41     10     7    3    7.08[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2017/18   32(1)   7      5    3    6.89[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2018/19   13(1)   1      1    1    6.88  Transferred for ₤925k[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2018/19   10(5)   2      2    1    7.02[/font][/color]

This guy was rated with potential to become a good 1st Division player and I tried to get him into the first team early on. Unfortunately, after a few seasons, he started to complain about competition for places. He then went off the rails a bit constantly missing training and being spotted out on the town late at night. I reluctantly sold him as a result and he dropped down a division to Querétaro, where he performed well and was instrumental in their promotion in his second season there. I kept track of his progress and tried to re-sign him last season as his contract was up in July but he chose a January transfer to América instead. They are one of the top sides in Mexico so it will be interesting to see how he does there.

Achievements

· 2012 Estudiantes Santander Best XI

· 2016 Querétaro Best XI

· 2017 Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Champions

· 2017 Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Young Player of the Year

· 2017 Querétaro Fans’ Player of the Year

· 2019 América (MEX) Best XI

Prodigy 3 (FC, Mexican)

Adrian Ramires Initial Profile (July 2012)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2013)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2016)

Retired July 2016

PPMs – none

Left foot – very weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13    1      -      -    -    6.30[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14    2      -      -    -    6.70[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15   1(3)    1      -    -    6.93  Released at end of contract[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Real de la Plata       Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2015/16   2(7)    -      -    -    6.34  Released from contract & retired[/font][/color]

It was clear from the start that he was never going to make it in the top flight and he couldn’t do much better a division lower either.

Achievements: N/A

Prodigy 4 (MRC, Mexican)

Juan Carlos Valdés Initial Profile (July 2013)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2013/14    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2014/15   4(4)    3      4    2    7.51[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2015/16    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.90[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2016/17   18(1)   1      4    -    7.33  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2017/18   17(1)   1      2    2    7.78  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    1      -      2    -    8.20[/font][/color]

On the face of it, his ratio of goals and assists for Estudiantes Santander looks impressive but bear in mind that most of those came in the North American Champions League against sides from Trinidad, El Salvador, Jamaica and Guatemala. The coaches don’t rate him very highly and I may release him when his contract is up.

Prodigy 5 (AMR/ST, Mexican)

Enrique Chavéz Initial Profile (July 2014) - missing

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2015)

Retired July 2015

PPMs – none

Left foot – very weak

Right foot – very strong

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2014/15  0(1)     -      -    -     -    Released and retired[/font][/color]

One of those where the ass man says there are no stand out players but this is one of the better ones. Released at the end of the first season and retired soon after.

Prodigy 6 (D/WBR, Mexican)

Ricardo Sanchez Initial Profile (July 2015)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – tries to play way out of trouble, dives into tackles

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2015/16    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2016/17  16(1)    1      4    -    7.35[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2017/18  12(5)    1      2    -    6.72[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19   2(1)    -      -    -    6.93[/font][/color]

Rated as a potentially ‘decent’ first division player. So far, he’s been loaned to my feeder club (in the unplayable 2nd Division) but I’ve just acquired a new feeder club in the playable 1st Division ‘A’ so he will go there next season.

Prodigy 7 (DRLC, Mexican)

Humberto Rodriguez Initial Profile (July 2016) - missing

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – none

Left foot – strong

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.80[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2017/18  28(3)    5      5    1    7.47[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2018/19   37      3      5    2    7.40[/font][/color]

Had a good season on loan at Oro in his second season, so much so that they asked to extend it for another year. After doing well there and acheiving success with the Mexican U-20 side, I’ll be looking to give him a run in the first team next season.

Achievements

· 2019 U20 World Cup Winner

Prodigy 8 (AML/ST, Mexican)

Francisco Arias Initial Profile (July 2017)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – runs with ball through centre, places shots, plays no through balls

Left foot – very strong

Right foot – weak

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2017/18    4      1      3    -    7.38[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    2      1      2    -    7.60[/font][/color]

Only rated as a potential good 1st Division ‘A’ player by the coaches, he’s been restricted to NACL games so far. I’ll be sending him out on loan next season.

Prodigy 9 (DC, Mexican)

Mario Maldonado Initial Profile (July 2018)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2019)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19  9(5)     1      1    -    6.78[/font][/color]

His current ability was rated as good for the 1st Division ‘A’ when he first came to the club and he has the potential to be a leading 1st Division player. For that reason, he got first team football early on and coped well. Walked straight into the Mexican U-20 team as well. Look for more from this one next season.

Achievements

· 2019 U20 World Cup Winner

The New Guy

Prodigy 10 (D/WB, MR, Mexican)

Damian Banos Initial Profile (July 2019)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

Same as YP9, immediately rated as a good 1st Division ‘A’ player with the potential to be a leading 1st Division player. I’ll be giving him run outs in the NACL and easier league games this season before making a decision on loaning him next year.

Summary of Prodigies 2018/19 Season

First Team Squad Prodigies1 (Prodigy 9)

Youth Team Prodigies1 (Prodigy 8)

Reserve Team Prodigies 2(Prodigies 4 & 6)

Prodigies Out On Loan 1 (Prodigy 7)

Released Prodigies2 (Prodigies 1 & 2)

Retired Prodigies2 (Prodigies 3 & 5)

The Mexican Youth Project – Estudiantes Santander (2019/20)

Summary of Prodigies 2019/20 Season

First Team Squad Prodigies0

Youth/Reserve Team Prodigies1 (Prodigy 10)

Prodigies Out On Loan 4 (Prodigy 6, 7, 8 & 9)

Released Prodigies2 (Prodigy 2)

Retired Prodigies4 (Prodigies 1, 3, 4 & 5)

Youth/Reserve Team Prodigies

Prodigy 10 (D/WB, MR, Mexican)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2019/20  4(4)     -      3    -    6.99[/font][/color]

Got his run outs in the NACL Group Stages and a couple of meaningless league games and handled himself well.

Prodigies Out On Loan

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2020)

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2015/16    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2016/17  16(1)    1      4    -    7.35  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2017/18  12(5)    1      2    -    6.72  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2018/19   2(1)    -      -    -    6.93[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2019/20  18(1)    -      2    -    6.78  *On loan[/font][/color]

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones Best XI x1 (2020)[/font][/color]

A decent season on loan in the 1st Division ‘A’.

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – strong

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.80[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2017/18  28(3)    5      5    1    7.47  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2018/19   37      3      5    2    7.40  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2019/20   29      -      -    -    6.57  *On loan[/font][/color]

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Medals[/font][/color][/u]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup (2019)[/font][/color]

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u]

Got the regular first team football I wanted for him but only performed averagely.

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2020)

Left foot – very strong

Right foot – weak

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2017/18    4      1      3    -    7.38[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    2      1      2    -    7.60[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2019/20  27(1)   10      4    2    7.21  *On loan[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apetura[/i] (2018)[/font][/color]

A good season out on loan but I think his future lies below the 1st Division.

Prodigy 9 (DC, Mexican)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19  9(5)     1      1    -    6.78[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2019/20  36(1)    3      6    1    7.48  *On loan[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup (2019)[/font][/color]

For some reason, refused the chance to join Halcones in the 1st Division ‘A’ on loan opting for Oro in the unplayable 2nd Division instead. :confused: Excelled at that level though and will be a part of the first tem squad next season.

Released Prodigies

Prodigy 2 (MC, Mexican)

Josué Ramos Initial Profile (July 2011)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2012)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2013)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 7 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 8 Profile (June 2019)

End of Season 9 Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – runs with ball through centre, gets forward whenever possible, tries killer balls often, shoots from distance

Left foot – Very Strong

Right foot – Very Weak

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2011/12   3(14)   -      2    -    6.33[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13   4(14)   3      -    -    6.48[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14   7(9)    3      3    -    6.96[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15   3(16)   3      3    1    6.99[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2015/16    20     9      5    2    7.13  Transferred for ₤900k[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2016/17    41     10     7    3    7.08[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2017/18   32(1)   7      5    3    6.89[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2018/19   13(1)   1      1    1    6.88  Transferred for ₤925k[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2018/19   10(5)   2      2    1    7.02[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2019/20   30(5)   10     2    2    7.06[/font][/color]

[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ [i]Clasura [/i]x1 (2017)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Championship Play-offx1 (2017)[/font][/color]

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Achievements[/font][/color][/u]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Young Player of the Year x1 (2017)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Fans’ Player of the Year x1 (2016)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander Best XI x1 (2012)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Best XI x1 (2016)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Overall Best XI (2019-present)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Best XI x2 (2019, 2020)[/font][/color]

Definitely the one who got away. Now firmly established at the heart of the America (MEX) midfield.

Retired Prodigies

Prodigy 1 (DL, Mexican)

Enrique Chavéz Initial Profile (July 2010)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2011)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2012)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2013)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 7 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 8 Profile (June 2018) - missing

End of Season 9 Profile (June 2019)

RETIRED June 2020

PPMs – None

Left foot – Very strong

Right foot – Very weak

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2010/11    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2011/12    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13   12(5)   1      2    -    6.72[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15    5      -      4    -    7.36  Released at end of contract[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Tecos ‘B’              N/A             2015/16    13     -      3    2    6.76  [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Tecoman                N/A             2016/17    3      -      1    -    6.27[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Morelia ‘B’            N/A             2017/18   22(1)   3      3    -    6.26  Signed on free transfer[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mérida FC              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2018/19    9      3      3    -    6.57[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Morelia                Mexican 1st     2018/19   5(3)    1      2    -    6.44  Released at end of contract[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]No club                -               2019/20    -      -      -    -      -     RETIRED[/font][/color]

[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Achievements[/font][/color][/u]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Morelia Best XI x1 (2019)[/font][/color]

Spent the whole season looking for a club before deciding to retire.

Prodigy 4 (MRC, Mexican)

Juan Carlos Valdés Initial Profile (July 2013)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2014)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2015)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2016)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2017)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2018)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2019)

Retired (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2013/14    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2014/15   4(4)    3      4    2    7.51[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.90[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2016/17   18(1)   1      4    -    7.33  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2017/18   17(1)   1      2    2    7.78  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    1      -      2    -    8.20    Released at end of contract[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]No club                -           2019/20    -      -      -    -      -     RETIRED[/font][/color]

I decided to release him and see where he would go and he went absolutely nowhere, retiring at the end of the season.

The New Guy

Prodigy 11 (AMRC/FC, Mexican)

Sergio Rojas Initial Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

After two potentially very useful youth products, this year doesn’t look as good. Has the potential to be a ‘decent 1st division winger’ or a ‘good 1st Division A forward’. The usual combination of youth team football and NACL group matches await.

So that's everything so far. The First Division A titles have been won, as have the First Division, Interliga, NACL and Copa Libertadores. That leaves me with the Champions Trophy, Superliga, Copa Sudamericana, Recopa and CWC and the international trophies as well. :p I also hope to bring more homegrown youth players into the first team.

Miguel Herrera, former Tecos and Santos Laguna manager is the current national team boss and he has been in charge since June 2018. Not much chance of him vacating the job soon as he has won the Copa America and taken Mexico to 3rd at the Olympics. They also currently lead the way in the 2022 World Cup Qualifiers by some margin. Still, a poor showing at the Gold Cup would do nicely.... :D

In the meantime, I may see what other national jobs are available and amuse myself with a 'side project' ;)

Thanks Purefun. :thup:

My updates will be done after each half season but those will be like a full season anyway due to the sheer number of games. Between August and December, I have 17 league fixtures (and hopefully some play-off games), the group stage of the NACL, the Copa Sudamericana and the Club World Championship to play! :eek:

Thanks for the feedback Raware. :)

I've dabbled with the South American leagues on past versions but never managed more than a couple of seasons. I'll definitely return to Mexico at least on FM10, possibly as part of a wider South/north American career.

Just two things to bear in mind:

1) The league set ups and rules can be complicated. I've worked out the Mexican league system as I've gone along but other players from the South American challenge have said rles work very differently in the other countires!

2) It not the place to play if you like quick seasons. If I reach the final of all the competitions I'm involved in this season, I will have played almost 90 games :eek:

But for me, the fun I've had on this save has been worth it. ;)

Thanks for the feedback Raware.

I've dabbled with the South American leagues on past versions but never managed more than a couple of seasons. I'll definitely return to Mexico at least on FM10, possibly as part of a wider South/north American career.

Just two things to bear in mind:

1) The league set ups and rules can be complicated. I've worked out the Mexican league system as I've gone along but other players from the South American challenge have said rles work very differently in the other countires!

2) It not the place to play if you like quick seasons. If I reach the final of all the competitions I'm involved in this season, I will have played almost 90 games :eek:

But for me, the fun I've had on this save has been worth it. ;)

90 games!!!??? :eek: Wow, that's a lot of games in one season! I think that's probably what's deterred me from playing in South America, my lack of knowledge about the leagues :o. But i'm always up for learning and reading threads like yours give me that extra insight to maybe spur me on to trying a league there.

Estudiantes Santander, 2020-21 Mexican 1st Division Apertura

Apertura

Having missed out on the domestic titles last season, it was time to get back to winning ways. No major changes took place as I was able to keep my first team squad together. There was a new face at the club though as my long search for a second quality keeper ended when I secured the signature of a 34 year-old Francisco Guillermo Ochoa for free! My scouts and coaches all say he's still at the top of his game and he will be number 1 for the next couple of seasons and he will be charged with mentoring my hot prospect keepers.

As for the league, our involvement in continental competitons (see below) wreaked havoc with the fixture list and we often ended up playing no league games for three weeks and then having 4 games in 7 days. However, I have a large squad and I was able to rotate sufficiently so that nobody was over-tired. The squad was lacking in cohesion a bit though so we were always in the top 5 but never really pushed the top two. In the end, we topped our group to qualify for the play-offs and came third in the overall standings.

Overall Table

Apetura Play-offs

After much delay (again, see below) the play-offs began with a tie against Cruz Azul. A 2-1 win away was followed by a comfortable 5-2 win at home to set up a semi final clash with Atlante.

Atlante had topped the standings so we had to beat them (a draw would see them go through as hgher seeds). A great performance in the first leg earned us a 2-1 win to take back to Altamira. All was going well until Atlante scored just before half-time to take the advantage. The scoreline remained in their favour until the 4th minute of injury time when Daniel Garza came up from the back to head in a free-kick and send us through 3-2 on aggregate.

Pumas were our opponents in the final but I encountered a bizarre flaw in the game. The two legs of the final were scheduled for the same day at the same time! :confused: I assume the game code dictated that the play-offs had to be settled by a certain date and we had run out of time but who knows... Anyway, a very strange pair of matches ocurred in which the 2nd leg was played first and then the 1st leg began with exactly the same line-ups and at the same time but in a different stadium! To confuse things more, the first match that ran on my computer finished 1-1 with a man on each side sent off. Those players were still available for the other game (technically they couldn't be suspended as they hadn't been sent off yet :p). We won the game 2-0 and I had another player sent off (should he have been suspended for the game that had already been played?!?). At least it wasn't a 1-1 draw as I think the game would have crashed if it had had to resolve the tie with penalties. After the game, I wasn't able to look at the match overview again but luckily I took screenies before doing the team talks so you can see the utter nonsense of it all for yourselves:

Final Leg 1 | Leg 2

Nevertheless, we had recaptured the title and board and fans were happy.

Copa Sudamericana

The Copa Sudamericana provided our first continental action of the season. Bolognesi of Peru and Cerro Porteño of Paraguay provided little resistance in the early rounds, getting beaten 12-0 and 10-0 on aggregate respectively.

Gremio should have provided tougher opposition in the quarter finals but they didn’t as we won 4-0 in Brazil to give ourselves a huge advantage. I fielded a weakned side for the home game as I needed plyers fit for some big league games and we lost 2-1 but a 5-2 aggregate win was more than satisfying.

It was back to Brazil for the semis, this time Palmeiras providing the opposition. We got off to a great start, going three goals up before half-time. However, in the second half we slipped up allowing our hosts to pull two back. We still had the advantage as we returned to Mexico for the home leg but Palmeiras made us work hard. We survived a couple of scares but still managed to grab a 2-1 win on the night to send us into the final.

Familar opposition in the final as we played Atlante (around the same time of the apetura play-offs to boot). An unbelieveable first leg saw the lead change hands a few times before an injury time goal earned us a 4-4 draw. Back at our stadium, an even game finished 1-1, which meant the cup would be decided by penalties. We held our nerve to win the shoot-out 4-3 and claim our first Copa Sudamericana title!

The NACL kicked off in late September and added to our fixture pile-up. Luckily, the quality of opposition was as poor as ever so we were able to breeze through the group stage while our first teamers took a break. For some reason, despite being defending champions, we started in the Prelim Round where we faced Trinidad & Tobago’s Joe Public. A 10-1 aggregate win was only remarkable for the fact that thye managed to score a goal!

Our group was starightforward as Isidro Metapan (El Salvador), Tauro (Panama) and Real Salt Lake (USA) were all soundly beaten with us scoring 38 goals and conceding only 2 in the process.

Group D Table

The competition resumes in the spring, when we face New York Red Bulls.

Club World Championship

We weren’t quite done there as last year’s NACL win had earned us a spot in the Club World Championship. We entered in the second round African Champions Sundowns our opponents. They held out well against us early in the game but we soon took control and demolished them 5-0.

That set up a semi final with Boca (a bit annoying as they were only here as losing finalists because Mexican sides can’t qualify for the CWC through the Copa Libertadores, meaning the team we had beaten to win the Libertadores got a bye to the semis insted of us!). We brought back memories of our previous wins as we scored three without reply and strolled into the final.

We got our big glamour tie against Barcelona, aside with a 33 year-old Messi still going strong. I was expecting a tight game in which our best chance would be to sneak a goal on the break but that the unexpected happened as we won quite comfortably. A big thank you must go to Miteb Abbas, a Saudi full back, who somehow managed to score not one but two own goals to give us a 2 goal lead at half-time (he was injured later in the game, possible by one of his team mates :p). We added two more in the second half as Barcelona couldn’t recover and we became World Champions!

The Rest of the Season

That’s 44 games already but we are only halfway done! Despite being the Copa Libertadores holders, we have been entered into the Interliga (the Mexican qualifying tournament) so that means another 4 games and the possibility of enetring the Libertadores in the Prelim Round. We also have 6 more games to play if we want to win the NACL and another 17 league games followed by the play-offs! Oh, and we will play Boca again in the Recopa but that isn’t until August...

I have some new signings coming in January too, mainly youngsters but I’m bringing in a Colombian striker who my scouts reckon is the business (I beat Real Madrid and AC Milan to his signature – pretty chuffed with that). He will definitely get a lot of games!

Estudiantes Santander, 2020-21 Mexican 1st Division Clasura

Interliga

A week after winning our first ever Club World title at the Rose Bowl, Pasedena, we found ourselves in California again to play in the Interliga as we sought a spot in the upcoming Copa Libertadores. With new signing Miguel De Los Santos upfront, we destroyed the opposition in our group with the Uruguyuan scoring in each group game as we topped the tabled with maximum points.

Interliga Group Tables

That set up a match with Chivas for a place in the Libertadores. Again, De Los Santos got on the scoresheet before two more second half goals meant that Chivas’ late strike was nothing more than a consolation. South America: we are coming back for more!

Interliga Final

Clasura

The fixture list was kinder to us in the second half of the season as we didn’t have to play more than twice a week. That meant I was able to field a stronger side in the league and it showed as we topped the table early on and never looked back. With only one defeat on the way and my defence playing very tightly, we secured our qualification for the play-offs with 5 games to go and top spot shortly after that.

Overall Table

Clasura Play-offs

We faced Pumas in the quarter final round. Thay had had an awful clasura campaign and had only qualified for the play-offs by virtue of being in an easy group. Nevertheless, they are tough to beat and that showed as we ground out a 1-0 win away and earned a hard fought 1-1 draw at home, sending us through 2-1 overall.

Monterrey awaited in the semis. We played well at home scoring 4 but a couple of slips at the back let them score 2 meaning we would still have to be cautious in the return game. An early goal settled our nerves and when Monterrey had a player sent off, it was all but over. Our opponents equalised in the second half but we kept the game under control to win 5-3 on aggregate.

In the final, once again, it was us and Atlante. We took the lead in the first leg just before half time and added a second after the break. All was going well until Atlante scored twice in 6 minutes to level the match. We regained our composure after that to win 4-2 but, yet again, we would have to be careful in the away game. That was a very tight affair. We had a great chance to kill off the tie with a penalty on 70 minutes but it hit the post. Atlante then piled on the pressure and scored with 5 minutes left, meaning one more goal would give them the title. Late drama ensued as we had a defender sent off and they hit the bar. However, come the final whistle, we were celebrating another championship win, 4-3 on aggregate.

After blitzing through the group stages earlier in the season, we resumed this competition in similar fashion as we thrashed New York 6-1 at home before playing out a 1-1 draw away to go through to the semis 7-3 overall.

The semis is always where this competition really begins for the Mexican teams and we were drawn against Atlante (bringing our total games against them this season up to 10!). A narrow 1-0 win at home left me concerned it was not enough. That proved to be the vase as they levelled the tie in the return leg and then snatched a winner in injury time to end our title defence.

Copa Libertadores

Our Interliga exploits meant we entered this year’s competition at the group stage. It was like the Copa Sudamericana again as we faced Palmeiras and Cerro Porteño. El Nacional of Ecuador made up the numbers. Just as in the Copa Sudamericana, Cerro Porteño were soundly thrashed home and away and Palmeiras were duly dispatched. EL Nacional went the same way and so we topped the group with 6 wins out of 6.

Group B Table

Penarol of Uruguay were our 2nd Round opponents. A 3-1 win away set us up nicely before a 3-0 win at home sent us through to the quarters to face River Plate, a repeat of last year’s quarter final. Last year River gave us a tough match but it was not so this time as we stunned them with a 3-0 away win. River came at us hard in the return match and took the lead but we came back to win 2-1 and advance to the semis 5-1.

Surprise package Veracruz, a team we had beaten in the First Division A promotion play-off all those years ago, were our semi final opponents. We raced into a two goal lead in the first leg but we got sloppy and allowed them to score twice late on and level the match. No such errors were made at home though as we hit them for 6, winning 6-2 on the night and 8-4 on aggregate.

And so we had the chance to retain out Libertadores crown. All that stood in our way was two games against Cruzerio. We played in Brazil first and we were heavy underdogs. We soon showed the bookied they were wrong to doubt us again by taking a 3-0 victory. Two early goals in the home leg put the tie beyond reach for Cruzerio. They managed to level the match but it did not matter as a 5-3 aggregate win gave us back to back Libertadores titles!

The Season Ahead...

We move into our new 18,000 capacity stadium when the new season begins. Hopefully, that will enable the club to sort it finances out as heavy spending on youth talent has resulted in the club being aout ₤1million in debt.

We get the chnce to add a new trophy to the cabinet this season as we play in the Recopa against our old friends Boca Juniors. Hopefully, we can get a similar result to the last few times we’ve played them.

I’m happy with the squad at present but I will be looking to sell a couple of bits of squad deadwood. Lomeli wants to leave again as Real Madrid and Barcelona are bidding for his services but I’ll try my hardest to keep him. ;)

Estudiantes Santander, 2020 -21 Season Review: Awards and Key Players

Awards

Here’s a summary of all the awards which involved players, staff or the club itself from this season:

Mexican Player of the Season a clean sweep with Blanco, Riveros and Jadson showing just how effective my wingers were.

Mexican Young Player of the Season Jadson gets a deserved nod.

Mexican Goalkeeper of the Season Ochoa shows age is no barrier as he wins the award aged 35. That’s the 4th time his won it and with a 3rd different club.

Mexican Central Defender of the Season Lomelli retains his title with Garza 3rd.

Mexican 1st Division Team of the Season plenty of Estudiantes Santander players there!

Mexican Manager of the Season a pat on the back for me from the FMF. ;)

Club World Championship Best Player a well-deserved win for Riveros with Blanco 3rd and a Mexican taking 2nd just for good measure!

The Team

Fans’ Player of the Year Francisco Guillermo Ochoa. Surprised they didn’t go for Lomeli, Riveros or Blanco but deserved nonetheless.

2020/21 Best XI pretty much reflects my first choice XI but I was a little surprised to see my back-up right back Rodriguez sneaking in there.

Overall Best XI Morales and Jadson were added this year.

Key Players

Francisco Guillermo Ochoa the missing piece of the puzzle. Now we finally have a great keeper for a great team.

Juan Manuel Lomeli just gets better and better. I’ll have a battle over the summer to keep him.

Daniel Garza the ‘old hand’ at the back. Club captain and always solid in defence.

Antonio de la Torre improving as he gets older, he will fill Lomeli’s boots should he leave.

Hector Prado an unsung hero and Mr. Consistency at left-back.

Francisco Javier Blanco a great season for the Mexican international finishing the season with a club record 31 assists.

Victor Riveros had provided plenty of goals in previous years but this year started knocking them in with many great free kicks and a few penalties too.

Jadson supposed to be Riveros’ back-up but had a great season, battling Blanco for the assists records in the latter part of the season and just missing out.

Carlos Humberto Ramirez another solid, consistent performer in te middle of the park with an eye for long range goals. Why he isn’t in the national side is a mystery to me.

Jorge Ramirez as above, a reliable midfielder who knows how to lay on a goal.

Miguel De Los Santos I have lacked a consistent striker for this team but this guy may be the answer. He didn’t get that many in the league but his goals in the Libertadores were vital in our eventual triumph. Hoping for more of the same next season.

Estudiantes Santander 2020-21 Season Overview

Another great season with 89 games played and 6 trophies! The only slight disappointment was our semi-final elimination in the NACL, which means we can’t defend our Club World Championship title next year.

1st Division Apetura: Winners

1st Division Clasura: Winners

Interliga: Winners

NACL: Semi-finalists

Copa Sudamericana: Winners

Copa Libertadores: Winners

Club World Championship: Winners

Domestic Competition History

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]Division[/u]  [i][u]Apetura[/u][/i]        [i][u]Clasura[/u][/i]         [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  1st A     Winners        Quarter-final   Promotion play-off winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  1st       Semi-final     Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  1st       10th           Quarter-final   N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  1st       11th           Semi-final      N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  1st       Final          Final           N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  1st       Quarter-final  Semi-final      Interliga Group Stage[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  1st       Quarter-final  11th            Interliga Final[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga Winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  1st       Winners        Winners         N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga final[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  1st       Semi-final     Final           Interliga Winners[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2020-21  1st       Winners        Winners         Interliga Winners[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

Continental Competition History

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Season[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]   [u]NACL[/u]          [u]Lib[/u]        [u]Sud[/u]            [u]Other Competitions[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2009-10  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2010-11  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2011-12  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2012-13  Quarter-final -          Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2013-14  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2014-15  Semi-final    -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2015-16  -             -          -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2016-17  -             Semi-final -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2017-18  Semi-final    2nd Round  -              N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2018-19  Final         -          1st Round      N/A[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2019-20  Winners       Winners    Quarter-final  N/A[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]2020-21  Semi-final    Winners    Winners        Club World Champions[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana] [/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]NACL = North American Champions League; Lib = Copa Libertadores; Sud = Copa Sudamericana[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

The Mexican Youth Project – Estudiantes Santander (2020/21)

A busy season in Mexico saw some more playing time for the YPs.

Summary of YPs 2020/21 Season

First Team Squad Prodigies1 (YP7)

Youth/Reserve Team Prodigies2 (YPs 10 & 11)

Out On Loan 3 (YPs 6, 8 & 9)

Left The Club1 (YP 2)

Retired Prodigies4 (Prodigies 1, 3, 4 & 5)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Team YPs

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2021)

PPMs – none

Left foot – strong

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]        [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2016/17    1      -      -    -    6.80[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2017/18  28(3)    5      5    1    7.47  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2018/19   37      3      5    2    7.40  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2019/20   29      -      -    -    6.57  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2020/21  16(14)   3      6    -    7.07[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Medals[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apertura [/i]x1 (2020)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Sudamericana x1 (2020)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Copa Libertadores x1 (2021)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Club World Championship x1 (2020)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup x1 (2019)[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander Best XI x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]

A breakthrough season at the club for YP7, especially in continental competition where he played the bulk of his games and appeared in 3 different finals. Now established as the second choice right back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youth/Reserve Team YPs

YP10 (D/WB, MR, Mexican)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2021)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2019/20  4(4)     -      3    -    6.99[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2020/21   7       -      2    -    7.07[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

Got some playing time in league matches this time but was limited by the fact that his natural poistion (DR) is also the natural position of YP7.

Prodigy 11 (AMRC/FC, Mexican)

Sergio Rojas Initial Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 1 Profile (June 2021)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]    [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2020/21  1(1)     -      -    -    7.00[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

Just a couple of NACL games but doesn’t seem to have what it takes for the first team. Maybe a loan spell will give him a better chace to show his stuff.

Prodigies Out On Loan

End of Season 5 Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 6 Profile (June 2021)

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]        [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2015/16    -      -      -    -     -[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2016/17  16(1)    1      4    -    7.35  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A             2017/18  12(5)    1      2    -    6.72  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2018/19   2(1)    -      -    -    6.93[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2019/20  18(1)    -      2    -    6.78  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones*              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2020/21   2(1)    -      -    -    6.70  *On loan; left on a free transfer[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Acheivements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Halcones Best XI x1 (2020)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

For some reason, he stayed at Halocones on loan but didn’t do well and was overlooked. Shortly after his return to Estudiantes, his contract expired and he decided to leave, immediately joining Moreila’s B team.

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 4 Profile (June 2021)

Left foot – very strong

Right foot – weak

[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2017/18    4      1      3    -    7.38[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st 2018/19    2      1      2    -    7.60[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A         2019/20  27(1)   10      4    2    7.21  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Dirigén*               N/A         2020/21   28      8      4    1    6.96  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Medals[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division [i]Apetura[/i] (2018)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]

A bizarre loan offer from a Nicuraguan team was accepted and he did well there. Now out of contract tough and looking for a new club for next season.

Prodigy 9 (DC, Mexican)

End of Season 2 Profile (June 2020)

End of Season 3 Profile (June 2021)

PPMs – none

Left foot – weak

Right foot – very strong

[/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Club[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Courier New]                   [u]Division[/u]      [u]Season[/u]   [u]Apps[/u]   [u]Goals[/u]  [u]Asts[/u]  [u]MoM[/u]  [u]AvRat[/u]  [u]Notes[/u][/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2018/19  9(5)     1      1    -    6.78[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Oro*                   N/A           2019/20  36(1)    3      6    1    7.48  *On loan[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st   2020/21   4       -      -    -    6.88[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Cutidores*             Mexican 1st A 2020/21  20       3      -    1    6.80  *On loan[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Under 20 World Cup x2 (2019, 2021)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New] [/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Achievements[/font][/color][/u]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Cutidores Best XI x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]code][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana]Started the season in the first team but went on loan to a 1st Division A side at the end of the transfer window. Did well there and added another U20 World Cup medal to his collection at the end of the season. Will be on rotation in the first team next season.[/font][/color]

[center][center][color=black][font=Verdana] [/font][/color][color=blue][font=Verdana][b]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b][/font][/color][/center]
[/center]
[b][u][color=#ff6600][font=Verdana][i]Released YPs[/i][/font][/color][/u][/b]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana]Prodigy 2 (MC, Mexican)[/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2011MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]Josué Ramos Initial Profile (July 2011)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2012MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 1 Profile (June 2012)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2013MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 2 Profile (June 2013)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2014MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 3 Profile (June 2014)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2015MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 4 Profile (June 2015)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2016MexicanProdigy2.png"][color=#22229c]End of Season 5 Profile (June 2016)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2017MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 6 Profile (June 2017)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2018MexicanProdigy2.png"][color=#22229c]End of Season 7 Profile (June 2018)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2019MexicanProdigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 8 Profile (June 2019)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2020Mexicanprodigy2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 9 Profile (June 2020)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana][url="http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn64/DodgeeD/Mexican%20Youth%20Projects/2021YP2.jpg"][color=#22229c]End of Season 10 Profile (June 2021)[/color][/url][/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana]PPMs – runs with ball through centre, gets forward whenever possible, tries killer balls often, shoots from distance[/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana]Left foot – Very Strong[/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[b][color=black][font=Verdana]Right foot – Very Weak[/font][/color][/b][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Verdana][code][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2011/12   3(14)   -      2    -    6.33[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2012/13   4(14)   3      -    -    6.48[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2013/14   7(9)    3      3    -    6.96[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander  Mexican 1st     2014/15   3(16)   3      3    1    6.99[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2015/16    20     9      5    2    7.13  Transferred for ₤900k[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st ‘A’ 2016/17    41     10     7    3    7.08[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2017/18   32(1)   7      5    3    6.89[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro              Mexican 1st     2018/19   13(1)   1      1    1    6.88  Transferred for ₤925k[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2018/19   10(5)   2      2    1    7.02[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2019/20   30(5)   10     2    2    7.06[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]América (MEX)          Mexican 1st     2020/21   23(1)   5      3    1    7.06[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ [i]Clasura [/i]x1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Championship Play-offx1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[u][color=black][font=Courier New]Awards & Achievements[/font][/color][/u][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Mexican 1st Division ‘A’ Young Player of the Year x1 (2017)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Fans’ Player of the Year x1 (2016)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Fans’ Player of the Year x1 (2021)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Estudiantes Santander Best XI x1 (2012)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Best XI x1 (2016)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]Querétaro Overall Best XI (2019-present)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Best XI x3 (2019, 2020, 2021)[/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Courier New]America (MEX) Overall Best XI (2021 – present)[/font][/color][color=black][font=Verdana]

Still going strong but incrwasigly unhappy at America’s recent underperformance. The time may be right for a new club. ;)

The New Guy

YP 12 (ST, Mexican)

Luis Manuel Leal Initial Profile (June 2020)

PPMs – none

Left foot – reasonable

Right foot – very strong

Described as having potential to be a ‘leading 1st Division striker’ by my ass man, I like the look of this kid. I’ll be using him in easy league and continental games and he’ll be tutored by my top strikers.

Estudiantes Santander, July/August 2021 Update

Transfers

Not a lot of action in the transfer market this summer. Juan Manuel Lomeli stated his desire to move on but no formal offer from Barcelona or Real Madrid came and he didn't hand in a transfer request so he stays. I sold off some fringe players to get the club back into the black and had enough left over to bring in two not-so-new faces:

Josue Ramos, a product of our youth system, returns to the club after becoming frustrated by America's recent underachievement and has started the season well.

Also returning is Aldofo Figueroa, who originally came to the club aged 18 but was gone within 18 months after making a name for himself. However, now our club has grown and he wanted back in. As I didn't have an experienced back up on the right for Blanco I brought him back and he's started in great form so far. :thup:

Apertura

We have started the season in great form and, after 5 games, we have a 100% record. There have been no big wins or matches against the top sides yet but the media are already touting us as champions elect. :cool:

Current Standings

Recopa

We also picked up our first trophy of the season as we took on Boca in the two-legged Recopa (South American equivalent of the Super Cup). A fantastic home performance earned us a 3-0 win with De Los Santos and Lomeli on target along with Jaime Morales, a young Mexican striker who seems set to make a breakthough this year. That meant we had a strong lead going into the away game but we were perhaps a little over-confident and Boca gave us a scare as they scored on 79 minutes and again just before injury time. We survived an onslaught in the final added on minutes though to claim yet another trophy. :)

Recopa Leg 1 | Leg 2

That means the only trophies we are yet to win are the Champions Trophy (we would have to win either the apetrua or clasura to enetr that, not both :rolleyes:) and the Superliga, an annual contest between 4 Mexican and 4 MLS teams. We have never been invited to participate though and I've got no idea how we could be entered!

Copa Sudamericana

The draw for the first round has been made and we will start our defence with a tie against Caracas from Venezuela. The Venezuelan sides are generally among the weakest in the competition so we will be hoping for a big win.

Other News

As I said before, I would like to take on the Mexico job at some point but that seemed to be a way off as the national side have been successful in recent years (runners-up at the last World Cup, winners of the last 3 Gold Cup, Olympic Gold medalists) and the manager showed no signs of retiring or quitting. However, at the 2021 Gold Cup, after blitzing the group stage, Mexico were stunned by Panama in the quarter finals as they lost on penalties. Soewhat harshly in my view, the manager was immediately sacked and I was asked to replace him. I gladly accepted meaning I can now start chasing international glory starting with the 2022 World Cup!

A great season last year, nearly a clean sweep, just the NACL missed out on. An amazing result in the CWC :eek: Great progress there.

Also, congrats on getting the Mexico job. A high pressure job that hopefully you can succeed with. I look forward to seeing Mexico as World Champions in 2022 ;)

Great read :thup:

Cheers Raware. :thup: The own goals in the CWC certainly helped - Barcelona dominated before the first one and after the second, the team morale seemed to plummet so we were able to wrap the game up easily. :)

I have another monthly update for the club side coming up later (due to the volume of games, I'll be doing smaller updates throughout the season from now on) and I'll give a progress report for Mexico once the World Cup Qualifiers are finished.

Estudiantes Santander, September/October 2021 Update

Apertura

4 games this month. 3 good wins against Chivas, Tigres and Moreila were spoiled by a poor performance and loss away to Atlante. That win allowed Atlante to take top spot away from us. We have a game in hand but it will be a long time before we get to play it as the continental competitions start to cause a major fixture pile-up.

Current standings

Copa Sudamericana

An easy 1st round draw against Caracas played out as expected. We returned from the away leg with a 6 goal advantage and added 8 more goals at home for a comprehensive aggregate win.

1st Round

A tougher task faced us in the second round as we were drawn against Brazilian side Gremio. An accomplished performance in the home leg gave us a 2-0 lead to take to Brazil. An early goal there set us up nicely. Even though Gremio pulled level immediately, we re-established our lead before half time. Gremio pulled level again in the second half but we soon killed off any hopes of a comeback with two more goals to secure a 4-2 win on the night, 6-2 on aggregate.

2nd Round

All 4 Mexican sides have progressed to the quarter finals but have all avoided each other in the draw, meaning the possibility of an all-Mexican semi-final line up is there. If we are to make the semis, we will have to get past Argentinian side Indipendiente.

Most of our focus in October will be on this competition as the group stage takes place. We haven't got the usual easy draw as we face two MLS sides in the shape of D.C. United and Canadian qualifiers Toronto FC. Aguila of El Salvador should be very worried. ;)

NACL Group Draw

The months ahead...

It's going to be quite a month as we play 5 NACL games, the first leg of the Copa Sudamericana quarter final and just the one league game. November will be hell as we face 8 games between Nov 1st and 15th with the apertura play-offs to follow! :eek:

Because Mexican sides can't qualify for the CWC through the Copa Libertadores as they are technically from the North American Federation (CONCACAF). We have to win the North American Champions League to get to the CWC.

Didnt know that, thanks

With a very large squad! :D

The early rounds of the Copa Sudamericana are usually easy games, even with youth players. In the group stages of the NACL and Copa Libertadores, there will be 1 or 2 very weak teams so youth and reserve players can get the job done there.

The main problems fixture wise come in Novemeber when all my league fixtures for the opening half of the season pile up and May when my team can find itself in the latter stages of the league play-offs, the NACL and the Copa Libertadores. Then I just have to rotate and hope I don't get too many injury problems. On the plus side, I never have players asking to leave because of lack of first team football! ;)

Great stuff Dodgee D :thup: I really enjoy managing in Mexico, doing Razer's challenge there is definitely one of the first things I'm going to do on FM10 (well, maybe 2nd to Indonesia of course ;)), and I recently started a game with Tigres of Mexico. I love the fact that there's so many games to play and so much to win.

That was the attraction for me (although I heard as of 2010/11 Mexican teams won't be allowed into the Copa Sudamericana so that may be dropped for F10). The competiveness of the league and the quality of the regens makes it viable for a long-term game too. :thup:

Hope to see you in the challenge on FM10!

Which teams qualify for the Copa Sudamericana currently? I've not got that far yet. I guess it's the Opening Stage winner and the 2 Interliga winners that go into the Libertadores.

The competitiveness is good, although 4 times already this season I've scored 5 in the league, including against Chivas! Won the opening stage, top in the closing stage :D And a MC has 22 goals in 37 games. I've not managed that many goals in poor leagues on FM09, must be my tactics ;) Which formation works for you?

I might actually go for Mexico before Asia, as you can actually get world class Mexican youngsters. Not many of those in Indonesia!

I may be wrong, but I think the qualification process works like this

- the top 4 teams from the clasura go to the Copa Sudamericana

- the Champions Trophy (opening stage v closing stage super cup) winner and Interliga winners go to the Libertadores

- the two play-off winners and the two teams at the top of the league standings go into the NACL (with the places going to the 2nd/3rd placed teams in the event of those qualifiers being the same).

However, I have absolutely no idea how to get into the Superliga! Every year, different teams enter but never mine. :confused:

Formation wise, I play 4-4-2 and I rely on my wingers a lot. They set up 80% of my goals, either for the strikers, the attacking midfielder or the defenders coming up on set plays.

Once I've got through a couple of seasons I'll check and try to clarify the qualification rules. It's strange that you've never been in the SuperLiga, as in the first competition on the game the 4 Mexican teams are the last 4 winners of the league. Obviously that isn't the case after that though as you've never been in it.

My 4-5-1 is working brilliantly, I'm shocked! 21 goals for the lone striker so far, 23 for a forward-thinking central midfielder, and plenty of assists for the wingers, and full backs to a lesser extent.

Archived