READ BEFORE POSTING - The MEGA Football Manager 2009 F.A.Q

• Administrators

If your question isn't answered below, please use the search function on the forum before posting a new thread. You can also find a copy of the forum rules here.

I’ve been playing my game happily enough, but now it’s asking me for my activation code again – help!

We’re aware of an issue that sometimes occurs when your activation code becomes ‘unstuck’ – details on how to run our fix to solve this issue can be found here.

Where can I get the latest patch?

Details on where to get the patch, and the changes within are here.

I want to discuss the latest patch, provide feedback and give my experiences!

While it is tempting to start a new thread, please use the existing Feedback thread, unless it is about a specific issue that has not already got a thread for it.

I'm forced into TV View or Classic View every match and I don't want to be! How can I stop this?

Before kickoff there is a 'View Match' option in the action buttons. Simply select which view you wish to start the match in. Please note that this option is not present on some custom skins.

Why have my coach star ratings dropped?

Information on this is available in this thread.

I'm getting a lot of injuries. Why?!

This thread discusses the injuries in FM09 9.3.0.

I don't agree with the data in the game! I have issues with player stats, teams and factual information!

Please do not post in this forum. There should be a relevant thread in the Data Issues Forum. Most major teams have their own thread, as do countries etc. Make sure you have a look before posting, there is a good chance it may have been brought up already.

I'm having technical problems running Football Manager 2009

Check the Known Issues Thread. This thread contains a lot of information about fixing the most common types of error message you may encounter.

Is my PC good enough to run Football Manager 2009?

The minimum system specs are:

Mac:

The game is currently only being supported on Intel Mac's only, and the minimum requirements are - OSX 10.5.5, Nvidia Geforce 7300 / ATI X1600 Radeon. 1GB RAM.

PC:

OS - Windows Vista or XP

Processor Speed - Vista - 2.0GHz, XP - 1.4GHz Memory - Vista - 1GB, XP - 512MB Videocard - 128MB Nvidia FX 5900 Ultra, ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater.

More RAM is recommended for a smoother gameplay and faster load.

Do I have to use Steam to authenticate/install?

No, Steam is just one method of authenticating the game and/or buying the game. You do not have to use it if you don't want to.

I've installed though Steam, do I have to run the game through Steam each time I want to play?

No you don't, you can create a shortcut to Football Manager 2009 without having to use Steam. Go to:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\

and right click the fm.exe file and choose "send to desktop (create shortcut)"

Where is the database editor?

If you installed or authenticated your game through Steam, you will find the editor at:

C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

if you didn't use Steam at all it will be at:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

I have found something that I think is a bug, what do I do?

Search the forums to see if it has been raised before (try a couple of different terms to make sure), if not then post in the bugs forum with some evidence (screenshots, .pkm match files or saved game) you can find out information how to upload evidence to the FTP server here

I'm finding the game too hard!

Check out the Tactics & Training Forum for some helpful advice on where you might be going wrong

I want suggestions on who to buy and to discuss players and staff in the game"

Check out the Good Player & Team Guide forum for some advice on recommend purchases

I want to play the game online or over a network with my friends!

Hope over to our FM Online/Network Forum. Your questions should already be answered in existing threads, so search before posting.

I have ideas on how to improve the game in the future!

Feel free to post constructive suggestions in the Wishlist thread.

How do I Post a Screenshot?

* While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

* Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

* Save the file as a JPEG

* Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket

* Post the direct Url to the image here.

How do I transfer my saved game to another computer?

Useful thread here explaining what you need to transfer

Struggling with Tactics?

Tactical Theorems and Frameworks : A thread in which some of the best tacticians around explain how to create a successful tactic for your side. Everything is covered here, and there are 72 tactics available to download from the opening post.

The Sheffield United Project : Cleon, managing, surprise surprise, Sheffield United, shows you how to set up a tactic, and then, more importantly, how to tweak it from match to match. He wins promotion from the Championship as Champions, and is top of the Premier League after 18 matches when the project ends. Tweaking tactics will be much easier with his help.

Wolfsong's team talk guide was originally written for FM08, but it works just as well with the version either side of it. Particularly useful with half time team talks and inspiring individual players.

I'm bored/I want a new challenge!

Then try CSE : The Challenges, Sign Ups and Experiments forum. Here are some of the better known challenges:

dafuge's challenge : Holiday for a season, and take over one of the clubs promoted into the Blue Square North/South. Get as far as you can- the Ultimate Aim is the World Club Championship and Premier League title!

Gundo's challenge : Exactly the same as dafuge's challenge, except for one detail- you take over a side promoted into the lowest league of a small European nation. This is even harder, as players are more likely to come to England than to Serbia...

We also have a FM Wiki page up, which acts as a useful guide to most areas of the game. It has been constructed by our loyal and knowledgeable regular users, so there are a whole bunch of useful tips and information. You can find it here, with the thread for it here.

Thanks go out to Glenn Wakeford and Captain Planet for the majority of the FAQ.

If you have a specific error you just cannot find a solution for after searching everything linked, send me a PM or contact me via neil.brock[at]sigames.com and I'll try to help. But please, do a search first as the majority of issues are just a couple of clicks away from an answer! Thanks.

Archived