Why don't our friends at Sports Interactive do this?....

Before SI get started with FM09, why not come onto these, their very own forums, and actually ASK US (the consumers) what we Actually want in the game?

With FM09 there is bound to be a whole host of new features (there was with '08) that, lets face it, nobody really wanted.

I'm sure before work begins on a new game SI have some sort of "Brain Storming" meeting (or whatever) where they bring up new ideas and suggestions for said new game.

So why not come on here before development begins and actually ask us which of the proposed "New Features" we would like to see in the game? (Who would have agreed with the face-gen feature over a better Ass-man, for example?)

It would certainly make sense to ask the consumer what they actually want to begin with.

Any thoughts?

I would especially like to hear from someone at SI what they think.

Before SI get started with FM09, why not come onto these, their very own forums, and actually ASK US (the consumers) what we Actually want in the game?

With FM09 there is bound to be a whole host of new features (there was with '08) that, lets face it, nobody really wanted.

I'm sure before work begins on a new game SI have some sort of "Brain Storming" meeting (or whatever) where they bring up new ideas and suggestions for said new game.

So why not come on here before development begins and actually ask us which of the proposed "New Features" we would like to see in the game? (Who would have agreed with the face-gen feature over a better Ass-man, for example?)

It would certainly make sense to ask the consumer what they actually want to begin with.

Any thoughts?

I would especially like to hear from someone at SI what they think.

• SI Staff

Starr_man5 - we look at the forums and the suggestions that are put here, and they go into our feature meetings just like our own ideas.

We wouldn't do a poll for a variety of reasons, the most obvious being that doing so would be commercial suicide, as it would give our competitors somewhat of an advantage if they knew what we were planning. There are eyes everywhere icon_wink.gif

Tbf, a lot of the fans disagree with each other anyway. For every half decent suggestion, there's a couple of people who want the ability to be a chairman, or control ticket prices, or see the stadium, or put hot dog stands in.

SI take the game in the direction the majority of the fans want. No matter what anyone says, if you want to see a real computer game disaster - have a look at what happened to Sim City when it was turned into the very poor SimCity Societies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it would give our competitors somewhat of an advantage if they knew what we were planning. There are eyes everywhere icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK then paranoid mods always a good addition lol icon14.gif

What would it matter if your competitors knew what extra feature you were planning. Its the actual match engine(which by the way is currenly rubbish) which keeps myself and every other player coming back for more.

The feature only enhance the experiance if your competitors knew which new feature you were planning outside of the match engine it wouldn't be commercial suicide as all I really care about it yourselves getting the match engine correct.

It would be nice if you conducted a pole if only to prove that you actually listen to your customers, it wouldn't make a shread of difference commercially.

Lots of people on here (myself included) were reccomending facegen before FM08 was released, after SI had included it sucessfully in OOTP.

It would be good if they brought back the suggestions forum which was here bfore FM05 came out, as it allowed for more in depth discussion and fleshing out of ideas, without threads dissapearing so fast under the general mass of GQ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

Any thoughts?

I would especially like to hear from someone at SI what they think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most FM players rarely or never use the forums,so most players would not have a say. There are plenty of threads full of ideas, SI don't need to ask,they just have to read,which they do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We wouldn't do a poll for a variety of reasons, the most obvious being that doing so would be commercial suicide, as it would give our competitors somewhat of an advantage if they knew what we were planning. There are eyes everywhere icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they're not out to get you icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Starr_man5 - we look at the forums and the suggestions that are put here, and they go into our feature meetings just like our own ideas.

We wouldn't do a poll for a variety of reasons, the most obvious being that doing so would be commercial suicide, as it would give our competitors somewhat of an advantage if they knew what we were planning. There are eyes everywhere icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thanks for answering Miles, good form as usual icon14.gif

And I guess I understand your second point, it's kinda catch 22.

In my opinion, SI should concentrate on getting the basic fundamentals of the game right (look how many annoying bugs there were this time around). I would gladly accept a new game that worked perfectly (or at least to have much less obvious bugs) rather than a game flush with a million new features.

Get the gameplay right, then add on enhancements.

They should also include a very basic editor, but the in-depth editing such as creating leagues, etc should not be SI's responsibility and they shouldn't waste time creating additional software. Let the editing community do that with unofficial programs later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

In my opinion, SI should concentrate on getting the basic fundamentals of the game right (look how many annoying bugs there were this time around). I would gladly accept a new game that worked perfectly (or at least to have much less obvious bugs) rather than a game flush with a million new features.

Get the gameplay right, then add on enhancements.

They should also include a very basic editor, but the in-depth editing such as creating leagues, etc should not be SI's responsibility and they shouldn't waste time creating additional software. Let the editing community do that with unofficial programs later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the first point. Adding on enhancement, by their very nature, will create more bugs. It would be impossible to create a "perfect" game, so attempting to do so would probably just waste time. I'd rather see commonly requested features added, followed by extensive testing (i'm sure there are plenty of teenage kids without nothing else to do all summer).

For the second point. I agree...leave it to the editing community to get the details right. But give us the structure to do so! The editor, as it stands, is not good enough for the editing community to add new leagues (you have to destroy an existing league first of all, and secondly the game will do outrageous things, like put Al-Ahly in the Champions League, or Singapore in the Copa America). Using Pro Evolution Soccer as an example, they have very few licences for real players and teams, but everyone who plays that game has the real EPL running within 30 minutes of installing the game. If FM's editor were powerful enough to set up a new league structure, sticking the winners into some sort of continental competition, there would be an update with 35 new playable leagues within a week of the game being released.

(i guess i miss playing TCM 2004 with 192 nations selected as playable icon_biggrin.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Get the gameplay right, then add on enhancements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, I'm of the opposite opinion and believe SI aren't putting in enough enhancements into the game, concentrating too much on minor changes instead of making or introducing fundemental changes. The game is getting stale, it needs an injection of life because staring at the same old screens, statistics and data, release after release is getting tiresome.

• SI Staff

There isn't really any way to ask EVERYONE who plays the game what they would like to see in future versions. We get a lot of ideas from various sources and they all go into our feature meetings and are discussed.

At the end of the day we are only able to do so much and can't do everything, even everything that we want to do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

There isn't really any way to ask EVERYONE who plays the game what they would like to see in future versions. We get a lot of ideas from various sources and they all go into our feature meetings and are discussed.

At the end of the day we are only able to do so much and can't do everything, even everything that we want to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should be ashamed of yourselfs, not being able to keep everyone happy icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

At the end of the day we are only able to do so much and can't do everything, even everything that we want to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WE all agree that you at SI cant do everything for everybody. One good point would be to let the forum know any suggestion that was never going to be implemented for whatever reason, to stop the continual asking year after year. There have been many ideas, which would appear to be easy to implement, that are brought up time and again are are never mentioned again. Let us know if they are not being considerd and we can forget that idea.

• SI Staff

There aren't that many ideas that are dismissed like that though except for things like hooliganism, offering bungs and stuff like that. When discussing an idea we'll often take the positives out of it if it isn't very good and it sometimes becomes a good idea after discussing it.

Just because we aren't interested in implementing something at this time (for whatever reason) doesn't mean that is going to be the case in the future.

Like Miles said, there are eyes everywhere and it would be pretty silly to open up and let the whole world know what we are (or aren't) working on for the next version of the game.

SI, why not set up a pre-determined survey on your website.

You could ask for the user to login meaning just one vote per user. Then make it clear that the results will not be shown but will be used by SI for future development purposes.

I'm sure game players would be happy to complete the survey if they felt their opinions mattered and could influence future game direction.

As far as I'm concerned you have nothing to lose and so much to gain from doing this.

I expect a cheque in the post...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kevsback:

SI, why not set up a pre-determined survey on your website.

You could ask for the user to login meaning just one vote per user. Then make it clear that the results will not be shown but will be used by SI for future development purposes.

I'm sure game players would be happy to complete the survey if they felt their opinions mattered and could influence future game direction.

As far as I'm concerned you have nothing to lose and so much to gain from doing this.

I expect a cheque in the post... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alternatively they could set up a general discussion forum so that people can put their ideas forward and everyone discusses the good points and bad points.

Oh, wait... they have.

Even in it's current state, this forum is much better than a poll with no qualified opinions or reasoning.

Valid point Playmaker, but I still think SI could learn a lot from it. These forums get bombarded everyday with new topics and points.

Sometimes it can help to have some more concise feedback.

Both methods have merits, I'd suggest a combination of the two. I wasn't suggesting they just look at the survey in isolation.

Well you can sense the trully good (and in the same regard the trully awful) ideas simply from the number of rerplies a topic gets. The better an idea, the more responses it gets and the more likely hood that it stays on the first page of the forum and catches the attention of someone from SI when they visit the forums.

Dont forget, some of the SI staff started out as fans before working at SI. Ter for instance used to just do skins for the old CM's and was a member on the forums before he was an employee.

I think he has just been promoted from Tea Boy to Vending Machine now icon_biggrin.gif

love you really Ter icon_biggrin.gif

Again, thank you for the reply.

Miles pretty much cleared up the obvious for me. (I couldn't see the wood for the trees)

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dont forget, some of the SI staff started out as fans before working at SI. Ter for instance used to just do skins for the old CM's and was a member on the forums before he was an employee.

I think he has just been promoted from Tea Boy to Vending Machine now Big Grin

love you really Ter Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to have my own website as well and made CM3 menubars and background packs as well as playing the game every chance I got icon_wink.gif

I wish we had a vending machine icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dont forget, some of the SI staff started out as fans before working at SI. Ter for instance used to just do skins for the old CM's and was a member on the forums before he was an employee.

I think he has just been promoted from Tea Boy to Vending Machine now Big Grin

love you really Ter Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to have my own website as well and made CM3 menubars and background packs as well as playing the game every chance I got icon_wink.gif

I wish we had a vending machine icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I remember waiting patiently for the Ter's latest product! Was it really as far back as CM3, I am getting old!

But to the actual thread itself. The idea of a poll or whatever is nothing new, it gets brought up around every six months and Miles' and Ter's rationale for not not doing one is quite sound. Why give competitors an inkling of what you are going to be including next. Now to be fair to competitors, I am sure they are already going through the forums and pulling out the various ideas that people have suggested, much like the guys at SI are, so whilst you won't get a poll, the good ideas (not the barking nonsense suggested by some) will get discussed. Undoubtedly competitors will also pick up on the good, we all just hope they implement the bad!

Regarding the comment, that the game should be freshened up, cos looking at the same screens every incarnation, well go back to CM1 through to the 2d engine, and then see what you think. And we were as addicted than as we are now. Graphically the game has moved way forward since then, and I think I am right in saying, that at the introduction of the 2d engine, people were clamouring for the ability to "play" the game, something that SI have consistently refused to do, as FM would become yet another arcade game, and that's not what it is.

My tuppence worth, for what it's worth. Oh Ter, any chance of some new Ter skins? icon_wink.gif

If I can suggest something its important to have playability. Its better that there are a little bit more good regens then less.

I would be very happy with less bugs and less new features. And also more indepth financial stats without becoming a joke I don't want to sell hotdogs.

But I want to know where all the money goes to and how it evolves trought the years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chilliconcarnie:

Well you can sense the trully good (and in the same regard the trully awful) ideas simply from the number of rerplies a topic gets. The better an idea, the more responses it gets and the more likely hood that it stays on the first page of the forum and catches the attention of someone from SI when they visit the forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This used to be true, but sadly these days there are a lot of decent ideas that get very little response from other forum members.

Archived