I want to be an Assistant Manager... (A new idea?!)

Something I've thought of fairly recently, is the lack of opportunity to start as an assistant.

Correct me if I'm wrong and have somehow missed this feature, but presently I believe you can only manage a club and not become an assistant.

A lot of people play this game for the realism of starting at a lower league club or unemployed, getting offered the position of manager and working up to the top. However an added element which would be a huge benefit to the game, would be the ability to start as an assistant manager.

That way, you could take control of Reserves, or U18's fixtures, and if you make a name for yourself, you could then progress into full time management.

At the same time, you would be able to recommend some of the younger players to your manager, and help groom some of the exciting youngsters (or unhappy reserves) at the club whilst using all the player interaction you would as a normal manager. Maybe expanding further, if the manager sacks or leaves for a different job you could get the opportunity to go with him (or be sacked too). Manager interaction could also become important as you build a rapport with someone who could potentially be a rival in the future.

The functionality is almost already there in the game for this to happen (ie taking control of reserve/youth matches), but of course there are many possibilities.

What do other people think?!

Something I've thought of fairly recently, is the lack of opportunity to start as an assistant.

Correct me if I'm wrong and have somehow missed this feature, but presently I believe you can only manage a club and not become an assistant.

A lot of people play this game for the realism of starting at a lower league club or unemployed, getting offered the position of manager and working up to the top. However an added element which would be a huge benefit to the game, would be the ability to start as an assistant manager.

That way, you could take control of Reserves, or U18's fixtures, and if you make a name for yourself, you could then progress into full time management.

At the same time, you would be able to recommend some of the younger players to your manager, and help groom some of the exciting youngsters (or unhappy reserves) at the club whilst using all the player interaction you would as a normal manager. Maybe expanding further, if the manager sacks or leaves for a different job you could get the opportunity to go with him (or be sacked too). Manager interaction could also become important as you build a rapport with someone who could potentially be a rival in the future.

The functionality is almost already there in the game for this to happen (ie taking control of reserve/youth matches), but of course there are many possibilities.

What do other people think?!

It's not a new idea for starters, but no, I don't agree. It's called Football Manager. Not Football Assistant Manager, Football Chairman, Football Scout or Football Kit Man.

However, kudos for an intelligent, well thought-out opening post. I disagree with your idea, but not the way you explained it. icon14.gif

Seen it before. Still a rubbish idea. There's simply nothing to do. I don't get why people keep coming up with these weird ideas.

An assistant will just do what he's told to do. He has no decisions to make.

Phil Neal was assistant to Graham Taylor for England. All he did was say "Yes Boss" for four years.

It's like the moron yesterday with his Football Chairman idea where you get to :

-watch training

-throw parties

-decide whether or not to go to games

Please stop!

I can see your point and do think you should be able to apply for U18, Reserve and U18/U21 International jobs but would there be enough to do as an assistant?

If it could be made possible it would be a great feature on a career game where you start in LLM and to enhance your reputation/CV, take an assistant job at a bigger club....Steve McClaren for example.

Interesting icon14.gificon_smile.gif

I don't care about my CV, I'd be bored out of my mind as an Assistant Manager!

And yes, as an option I could just ignore it, but it would require significant SI implementation time so I object to it on those grounds - that I'd rather that time be spent on something worthwhile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dar2000:

I can see your point and do think you should be able to apply for U18, Reserve and U18/U21 International jobs but would there be enough to do as an assistant?

If it could be made possible it would be a great feature on a career game where you start in LLM and to enhance your reputation/CV, take an assistant job at a bigger club....Steve McClaren for example.

Interesting icon14.gificon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Har. You just made a dull idea sound even duller by introducing Steve McLaren into the equation! icon_smile.gif

Day 1 : Organize training

Day 2 : Sort that silly hair-do out

Day 3 : Teeth whitening appointment

Day 4 : Game

Well the idea would be for it to be a stepping stone for those people who want a "career" in FM.

Thanks for the initial feedback.

In response to their not being enough to do, the only real element missing would be transfers.

However you would be responsible for:

Reserve matches / formations (unless the manager insisted using the same one as he is) / lineups etc.

U18 matches / formations / lineups / contract renewals

Player interaction for the U18s and Reserves:

"Tell player A that you are impressed with his development and if he applies himself well he will have a big future" or

"Tell player B that unless he puts more effort into training / improves his attitude, he may have to look for a new career".

Manager interaction - occasionally the manager may ask for reports on the youth or reserve team and you are presented with a list of options. You may also be asked for approval on certain signings or make your own recommendations etc.

Team reports - compiling team reports and recommendations on a routine basis.

I'm not saying it would be an integral part to the game but the Football Manager series is forever expanding and this is just a natural continuation to that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dar2000:

Interesting icon14.gificon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can be international U21/19 manager already, but i certainly think that being able to manage club reserve teams and u19's would be a good idea, especially for those of us that like a career game (my record is 36 years with 7 different clubs).

In response to SWaRFeGa, i half agree about assistant managers being yes men but its also their job to suggest stuff to the boss. ALthough in terms of the game i cant see how this would be implemented.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richthehamma:

I like it, but I'd love to be a chairman, it'd be good, sacking and appointing managers and staff, recomending players, working with finances, having the oppurtunity to sell a player over the managment </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there's no football involved. What's the point? icon_confused.gif I wouldn't pay £25 for a game, just to click a button over and over again, making three decisions per year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukekarts:

Well the idea would be for it to be a stepping stone for those people who want a "career" in FM.

Thanks for the initial feedback.

In response to their not being enough to do, the only real element missing would be transfers.

However you would be responsible for:

Reserve matches / formations (unless the manager insisted using the same one as he is) / lineups etc.

U18 matches / formations / lineups / contract renewals

Player interaction for the U18s and Reserves:

"Tell player A that you are impressed with his development and if he applies himself well he will have a big future" or

"Tell player B that unless he puts more effort into training / improves his attitude, he may have to look for a new career".

Manager interaction - occasionally the manager may ask for reports on the youth or reserve team and you are presented with a list of options. You may also be asked for approval on certain signings or make your own recommendations etc.

Team reports - compiling team reports and recommendations on a routine basis.

I'm not saying it would be an integral part to the game but the Football Manager series is forever expanding and this is just a natural continuation to that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't the assistant managers job to look after the reserves or u18s though. They have reserve team managers and youth team managers.

Guest mikeytwigge

you could also take charge of the first team when the manager has a touchline ban and could be caretaker if the manager is sacked with the oppurtuniy to get the managers job if you impress

The closest I would go for this is further enhancement of the international sides.

I believe you can become manager of U-21's, U-19's currently in FM08, though I've not experienced it for myself, I have had the ability to "apply" for the positions.

As for implementing the ability to become an Assistant Manager, I just don't think there's enough possibilities with it to make it worthwhile pursuing.

I think most gamers want the top job and not to play second fiddle to an AI manager.

I agree with the opinion that a role as Assistant Manager would be a pointless one. Especially as whilst there wouldn’t be much to do within the confines of the game, there is also the problem that the Human player would not have the ability to perform that role/. Advising on tactics, training and signings requires an expertise that can only be gained through an actual management role.

As has been suggested before the Assistant Manager should be the cipher for the game’s Help Function, giving hints and tips as to where you’re going wrong as a manager.

There is a case to be made for being a Reserve Team or Youth Team Manager though. In both instances, the role could be used as a means of learning the game in regards to Tactics and Training. Almost a Training Level. Without the distractions of Transfers, Media and Pressure to win, you could get used to the way that tactics and training work in the game. Maybe with a touch of contracts for youth (With the possibility that your recommendations to extend or release could be countermanded by the board) and scouting for youth or back up players too.

You’d get the framework of having to develop tactics for the players with which you’re supplied and having to adjust them when a player is brought into the first team, or dropped from the same. You’d also have to get used to the idea of looking at the other team and adjusting accordingly, as you may suddenly be facing a superstar playing in the reserves to gain fitness. It could encourage an active approach that’d serve the player better when faced with first team management. Where you looked at your tactics to adjust for a First Team Player coming back to fitness, you’d be looking at them to accommodate your new signings. It would lay down the principles of FM Management (especially important I believe with the way the game changes from iteration to iteration), without the pressures of having to succeed with the First Team. You’d still have the full match day experience, from team talks to discipline, but in more in the form of a learning curve.

Though there wouldn’t be the pressures of the principle club team, there could be objectives, from the board or the club Manager. From the simple 'Bring Player X back to match fitness' to the more specific ‘Player X needs to improve the quality of their tackling before being considered for the first team’ to 'Get to Semi-Finals of Youth Cup' or 'Aim to finish well within the Reserve League'. Achieving the objectives would increase your personal reputation, leading to job offers ranging through Reserve Manager at a bigger club, National Youth Team Manager, Club Manager at smaller clubs or even the Club Manager of your Current club, as caretaker or permanent.

Naturally, any such roles should remain optional, so the players who just want to buy up the worlds greatest eleven and throw them on the pitch and hope could still play their way.

hmmmm, I think I agree with the assistant manager idea....they could use it possibly as a tutorial for the tactical side of FM, rather than an actual playable aspect...

Possibly the same way Pro Evo has a training aspect that gives players a chance to learn the basic skills to the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GillsMan:

It's not a new idea for starters, but no, I don't agree. It's called Football Manager. Not Football Assistant Manager, Football Chairman, Football Scout or Football Kit Man.

: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha ha best reply ever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Phil Neal was assistant to Graham Taylor for England. All he did was say "Yes Boss" for four years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All i can say is....do i not like that!!

Yeah, fantastic idea, I'd love the opportunity to apply for the job of Burton Albion's tea lady.

Just think, I could make important decisions about the mix of water and milk, whether or not to wear a hair net and pinny, and develop much better skills in slicing oranges.

You never know I might even get head-hunted by a Premier League team. Or even better I could serve such great tea that it would guide the lads all the way to glory from their lowly beginnings.

Add this feature right now. Meanwhile I'll go buy a flowery dress and call myself Mrs Haberdasher. (Please detect the note of sarcasm)

A flash of inspiration, how about being able to be the groundsman!!!

Still think this is a bad idea, but if you want to be an assistant then maybe it would appease you if you could just be a more hands-on manager with the opportunity to take training yourself? A far more sensible suggestion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Seen it before. Still a rubbish idea. There's simply nothing to do. I don't get why people keep coming up with these weird ideas.

Phil Neal was assistant to Graham Taylor for England. All he did was say "Yes Boss" for four years.

It's like the moron yesterday with his Football Chairman idea where you get to :

-watch training

-throw parties

Please stop! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, you think of something. anything...doesnt even have to be fm related.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nostromo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

-watch training

-throw parties

Please stop! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, you think of something. anything...doesnt even have to be fm related. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my point. People are thinking of ideas, instead of having ideas.

The only places I could see this working are in leagues where top teams have 'B' sides in lower divisions, i.e. Germany and Spain. Might be OK for Sunday-league footballers to start out coaching Werder Bremen II, for example, especially as you could then be in with a shout of a caretaker role should the first team manager get the chop. If nothing else, you would get LL experience within the overall structure of a big(ger) club.

Where it falls down is that it would apply to all leagues, meaning you could end up managing Accrington Stanley reserves for their big game against Bury reserves in Reserve League Group 6 or whatever - which just doesn't appeal at all.

I have to say I think the idea of a reserve / youth team manager would be a good idea. As mentioned earlier in the post the only aspect of the game you lose out on would be transfer dealings but I think there are a lot of other benefis that would cancel this out.

There would be a greater enphasis on tactics as you can't go out and buy new players so if you have no left back you have to either play someone out of position or adapt a new tactic to play 3 at the back. you would also have the responsibility to fit senior players into your squad when the manager has made them available for the reserves even if it means adapting tactics or breaking a winning team.

Over all I think this would be good fun and add another aspect to long term career games and will also give you a chance to develop young players rather than just buying the best team possible.

I like the idea but there a definetely two camps with this, those who agree seem to lean towards LLM and career games, and for those guys this is a perfect way to do this.Let's not forget Dennis wise just quit as a manager to effctively become newcastles No.2 so it is a realstic part of the game.

Those who like to pick their favourite club(or chelsea icon_smile.gif) are more likely to not want to see this feature, but te way in which this could be implemented means it could easily slot into the game and suit both camps.

I have no problem with posibility to start as ass man. IRL many managers started his carrer as ass man/coach. Why forbit this way in FM ?

As ass man you still manage teams - not senior, but reservers and/or U18.

And look at other posibilites which are in ass man repertoare - arranging training/friendlies, managing friendlis of senior teams.

And becoming of ass man in national teams are very good feature IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James.Clench:

How could you get sacked?

How could you get praise/promoted to be a full manager? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Sacking could easily happen, board restructuring, new manager are possibilities. or just simply being crap, simply have expectations for the reserves or u-18 like first teams have, if you do badly you run the risk of being fired.

2. You could still apply for jobs as an ass.man, IRL if carlos queiroz applied to be manager of a league two team i'm sure he would have a great chance of getting the job, and the same could happen here. You could also become caretaker manager if your teams boss is sacked, and if you impress enough you might have a chance of the job.

Archived