How do you create a depth chart for your team????????

I don't know if I'm too detailed with how I rank my players and keep track of them. But I'm curious to see how others go about ranking their players from one another. I feel I have to write all this down on a piece of paper to keep things organized. Plus I check every 6 months on the progress of all my players in case I have to make changes to the lineup. So how do all of you rank your players, which attributes do you use, how do you keep all this information organized, and how often do you monitor the progress and development of your players?

I sort of know who my best players are, you know...

At the end of each season I'll review, and naturally you keep an eye on player profiles. If I had a striker shortage, I'd use attributes like finishing and composure plus either pace/accel or heading/jumping depending on which role they were going to play, for example.

I don't think there is any other way than what you are doing. And, as I often find myself saying in FM forums, when SI had the rights to Out of the park baseball, they should have incorporated features such as this which already exist in that game.

In OOTP, you have your line ups and then the depth on each position, eg: first Base, Player A, Depth Player B, Utilise every 5th game etc.

It would be a brilliant system for FM, sellect Line up A with tactics, then Line up B and maybe C, and then select the rotation option, ie, Line up B every 3rd game, C every 5th.

This way, players could automatically be change pre game and replaced with their depth started if the first team player is below fitness level or suspended etc.

I used to keep a couple of different books by my computer desk where I stored all sorts of notes on various players in my team (and a plethora of other information taken from my FM world). Since FM09 I haven't used this method, and just keep an eye on the players I am interested in (in so far as potential and development goes).

Seeing as I only ever manage Liverpool, I'm pretty much au fait with all they have to offer anyway, so there's really no need for complicated and/or over-the-top methodology.

I don't think keeping track of your players is that difficult. I think everyone will know who fits where in their squad. Most people are probably only going to have squads of around 25 in the first team, with some promising youngsters in reserve or youth teams.

Since most people also probably use the same formation most of the time it's not even like you need to keep track of different players for different formations. IMO, if you're keeping track of more than 30 players you have too many.

I usually just do it with the contract thingy and the squad status. I usually just have the player I rate the most for one position on 'First Team', and then go down the statuses for how I rate each player in their position.

Mind you, I only really play in the lower leagues on 07. I don't know whether it would work too well with celebrity footballers!

my first team at udinese is made by only 20 guys (well,should be 19 but i can get rid of tafforeau,he's in our hearts and i dont want to send him in the reserve team),so it's not so hard..and have lots of good youngsters who make the first team when lot of injuries happen..

and yeah,i won three straight serie a,one europa league and made two champions finals..

and sold players for 500millions euro,i'm in february 2012 now..

I don't know if I'm too detailed with how I rank my players and keep track of them. But I'm curious to see how others go about ranking their players from one another. I feel I have to write all this down on a piece of paper to keep things organized. Plus I check every 6 months on the progress of all my players in case I have to make changes to the lineup. So how do all of you rank your players, which attributes do you use, how do you keep all this information organized, and how often do you monitor the progress and development of your players?

I do exactly the same thing (even with the 6 month progress) and even tried to get this feature into the game when I started at SI four years ago.

But I think we're in the minority as most people keep track in their head or probably aren't as methodical (or dare I say OCD) as us. I have numerous squad depth charts from past FM games hidden around my office desk for fear of getting ridiculed.

Yea I guess it's a good thing I'm detailed. I use the main attributes that a crucial for each position and rank them. For example. AMC I use Dribbling, Passing, Technique, Off the Ball, Creativity, Pace, Accel, and Agility and I take the total number of points between those attributes and compare each player. Thats the system I use and it's worked for me. The reason I think it's essential to use a depth chart is because the system I use sometimes ranks lesser known players ahead of a high profile player. Even though some player may have a bigger contract, if the attributes are better with someone else, they start ahead of the other. I run into problems occasionally on Defense with that system. For DC i use Tackling, Marking, Positioning, Jumping, and Strength and for example....Marco Russ is a player I signed for ROMA when he was 21 and with those attributes he was my 2nd best DC behind Mexes but at 21 I really didn't want to start him. So I guess my system works but I have make some gut decisions. Plus another way to show how valuable a player is, I offer them to clubs on loan and see the response I get. With Russ for example, I offered him and only got 2nd Division German teams interested so thats how I knew he shouldn't be starting at ROMA when hes 21.

To finally end this post, In my opinion if you just look at Value thats how you rank your players, I don't think you get your best squad that way. Maybe im wrong.

I would like to know other people opinion on the best way to rank players and how they compare players.

I'v got a piece of paper right next to the computer. I write down my expected first eleven, think match of the day graphics with the names spread out in the formation i will be using. Under each starter i also write down a backup. If i have any more players or a few youths to keep an eye on i write those down as well on either side of the "formation".

I am to lazy though to update it after 6 months. So i only do it in pre season.

The list really helps if i don't play FM for a while. So when i come back i just look at the paper and i can familiarize myself pretty quick.

I'v got a piece of paper right next to the computer. I write down my expected first eleven, think match of the day graphics with the names spread out in the formation i will be using. Under each starter i also write down a backup. If i have any more players or a few youths to keep an eye on i write those down as well on either side of the "formation".

I am to lazy though to update it after 6 months. So i only do it in pre season.

The list really helps if i don't play FM for a while. So when i come back i just look at the paper and i can familiarize myself pretty quick.

Ditto. I find it alot easier for me using this method too.

ive gone hi tech i used to write it all down, now i have excel open on my laptop next to my PC and i type it all into excel as i go along

Show off ;)

Any player notes i write in the notepad on my laptop. If i need to access them i just swith from FM to that. Which reminds me, I would use the in game notepad but cant be arsed to find it half the time, will this function be made more accessable in FM10?

I make my own depth chart using Excel or notepad or even writing it down sometimes. Eventually I start to get familiar with the players, and I tend to keep other notes in my head. Since my playing time can be scattered, though, the notes I do make are invaluable for remembering what I'm trying to do.

even tried to get this feature into the game when I started at SI four years ago.

And how did you get on? What are the chances of seeing this as a feature in the future? Personally I think it'd be a very useful thing to have.

Archived