Closed Thread

Thread: The Team-Talk Options You Would Like To See Available:

Part-Timer

In my opinion, the team talks are one of the areas that need a major overhaul for FMO9.

Based on this I wondered what options people would like to see become available; whether it be for individual players, or for the team as a whole.

I will start:

Just keep playing as you are. - Kind of like the current 'Don't let your performance drop', but more clearly defined.

Try to hang on to the lead. - If you are a smaller club winning in a gme you are not expected to.

If we win this we'll get out of the relegation zone/ into the playoffs/ go top... - For if any of the scenarios apply.

I know you made a mistake, but focus on the rest of the game. - For if an individual makes a mistake in game. (half time)

Keep your head up after today. - If an individual makes a mistake in game. (full time)

I need a goal from you. - To a striker.

An expansion on this idea is the introduction of team talks for substitutes - like when a player is brought on, something could be said.

A few examples include:

Help protect the lead. - If you are in front in a game; more likely for defence or midfield.

I need a goal from you. - If you're behind and you bring on a striker, or perhaps a midfielder.

For the substitute teams talks of course some of the current options would be available, such as 'You have faith', or 'Expect a performance'.

The idea of this thread is just a collection of what fellow forumers would like to see available as options as I know the majority are discontent with the team-talk options available.

Part-Timer

In my opinion, the team talks are one of the areas that need a major overhaul for FMO9.

Based on this I wondered what options people would like to see become available; whether it be for individual players, or for the team as a whole.

I will start:

Just keep playing as you are. - Kind of like the current 'Don't let your performance drop', but more clearly defined.

Try to hang on to the lead. - If you are a smaller club winning in a gme you are not expected to.

If we win this we'll get out of the relegation zone/ into the playoffs/ go top... - For if any of the scenarios apply.

I know you made a mistake, but focus on the rest of the game. - For if an individual makes a mistake in game. (half time)

Keep your head up after today. - If an individual makes a mistake in game. (full time)

I need a goal from you. - To a striker.

An expansion on this idea is the introduction of team talks for substitutes - like when a player is brought on, something could be said.

A few examples include:

Help protect the lead. - If you are in front in a game; more likely for defence or midfield.

I need a goal from you. - If you're behind and you bring on a striker, or perhaps a midfielder.

For the substitute teams talks of course some of the current options would be available, such as 'You have faith', or 'Expect a performance'.

The idea of this thread is just a collection of what fellow forumers would like to see available as options as I know the majority are discontent with the team-talk options available.

Amateur

Defend your place in the first team this to a player before the game who has had bad recent performances

Your getting put on the transfer list if you get another yellow card or red

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Defend your place in the first team this to a player before the game who has had bad recent performances </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like it. Unfortunately this would apply to the majority of my tottenhma team...

Good idea though.

Amateur

If you score a hat-trick today...i will get AI to bum you!

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your getting put on the transfer list if you get another yellow card or red </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Slightly extreme, but a disciplinary one may be okay...

Such as: Watch your tackling today, this ref is strict.

Although for the time being, disciplinary related ones may be a step too far.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you score a hat-trick today...i will get AI to bum you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it works, i'll have one.

Part-Timer

Retire. Immediately. Please? - held in reserve for defenders who perform like titus bramble.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Watch your tackling today, this ref is strict. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> This is upto you as a manager to check out the ref before the game and set your players tackling to whatever deems necessary. Afew of the suggestions are good, but you can kind of do now using your tactics. I can't explain myself properly, i'm still hot under the collar at the thought of Stevie G getting bummed by AI!

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shefki2008:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Watch your tackling today, this ref is strict. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> This is upto you as a manager to check out the ref before the game and set your players tackling to whatever deems necessary. Afew of the suggestions are good, but you can kind of do now using your tactics. I can't explain myself properly, i'm still hot under the collar at the thought of Stevie G getting bummed by AI! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andre marriner red carded 2 of my players in the 2nd leg of the Championship Play Off Semis, lets just say 45 + 15 + 15 minutes of football 2 man down isn't really doable, and i got 4 red cards all season. So I'd love that option.

Part-timer
    Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

I don't mind the options that are available over all, but sometimes what I want to say isn't available to me

Wouldn't mind something like, "they are going to really have to come at us in the 2nd half,so stay focused"

the "don't get complacent" option is too general for my liking.

Part-Timer

Any form of Sir Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment

should include words: S**T & F**K

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:
    Watch your tackling today, this ref is strict.
    This is upto you as a manager to check out the ref before the game and set your players tackling to whatever deems necessary. Afew of the suggestions are good, but you can kind of do now using your tactics. I can't explain myself properly, i'm still hot under the collar at the thought of Stevie G getting bummed by AI! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, apart from the hot under the collar part over Stevie G, i'd much prefer someone of Carlos Tevez's attractiveness.

Semi Pro

I want to be able to comment on my players getting yellow cards. You can't really fine them for yellows as they and probably rest of the team will go balistic if you do. Therefor it would be nice if something about dicipline could be in the individual teamtalk. Especially when a player do something really stupid like picking a fight after the whistle has gone.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wouldn't mind something like, "they are going to really have to come at us in the 2nd half,so stay focused" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good.

Amateur

Throw Cup Of Tea at useless striker.... Kick shoe at star player....'pet' defender......erm....

Part-timer
    Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morag:
    Throw Cup Of Tea at useless striker.... Kick shoe at star player....'pet' defender......erm.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Throw Cup Of Tea at useless striker.... Kick shoe at star player....'pet' defender......erm.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

Part-Timer

if the captain is injured for a long time then you could say Do it for XXX

AND if at half time agaisnt better opposition, and it is a draw a draw wouldnt be too bad but try and nick it!

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if the captain is injured for a long time then you could say Do it for XXX

AND if at half time agaisnt better opposition, and it is a draw a draw wouldnt be too bad but try and nick it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good ideas

I like them both... the captain one as like inpsirational moral boost.

Youth Team
    Wembley, Block 133, Row 23, Seat 296 - COME ON YOUR SPURRRRS!!!!

I want it more tactically based- teamtalks are not jsut about motivation.

For example if my MC is set to tight marking but hasnt done this well- then I want to tell him to improve in this area, or for example if he is not tracking runs.

Same goes for any area- maybe my wingers crossing is poor or a striker isnt busting a gut to get on the end of chances.

Maybe if a player is on a yellow- Id like to tell him not to get a second, as even on the lowest tackling mentality players will tug shirts etc.

Most of all I want to be able to tell players they have X minutes to impress or theyre coming off.

Oh and talks for subs too- when they come on I want to give them a pep talk too.

Amateur

This is your chance, prove your point..... for those guys that are demanding first team football

Amateur

YOU ****** *****!!! THEY'RE COMING 20TH AND THEY ****** BEAT YOU! FOR ***** SAKE! I THINK YOU SHOULD ALL TRY GOLF!!

but seriously. I'd like to be able to tell a player he'll only be playing the first half or the last 20 minutes which will make him put everything into that period. Also more options on what to tell the captain, so he can have more effect on the team during play.

Reserves

here's one to make to a sub when things aren't going as well a they should:

"Show those bunch of (Insert suitable insult here) how its done"

or generally when things aren't going too well:

"In my day, you'd get shot for playing like that, not a bad idea now"

or even in a deadlock:
    "I'll buy a pint for whoever scores the winner"

and to the goalie

"concede again and you'll be sent on loan to Baghdad"

Third Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:
    I want it more tactically based- teamtalks are not jsut about motivation.

For example if my MC is set to tight marking but hasnt done this well- then I want to tell him to improve in this area, or for example if he is not tracking runs.

Same goes for any area- maybe my wingers crossing is poor or a striker isnt busting a gut to get on the end of chances.

Maybe if a player is on a yellow- Id like to tell him not to get a second, as even on the lowest tackling mentality players will tug shirts etc.

Most of all I want to be able to tell players they have X minutes to impress or theyre coming off.

Oh and talks for subs too- when they come on I want to give them a pep talk too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on here, a combination of motivational and tactical would be superb. Definitely agree that an overhaul is needed, we need more options for team talks and I think it needs to be less defined what effects occur from each option. ie. say if I'm winning away and say I'm pleased, I fully expect to concede within the next 5 minutes. This seems to relax players too much. Just my thoughts.

Amateur

Great comeback.

How did you let them back into the game?

Amateur

For ****s sake! How did you miss that! My gran could've scored that! - To your striker after he's missed from 3 yards earlier on in the half.

It's alright lads, I've nipped into the referee's changing room and I've given him a few quid to give every decision our way - If you decide to manage an Italian team, this should definitely be an option.

Great finish xxxxx, now I want you to do that in the right end in the second half - To a player who has scored a peach of an own goal.

Amateur

How about the option to kick a football boot at your star players head during the half time talk.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morag:
    Throw Cup Of Tea at useless striker.... Kick shoe at star player....'pet' defender......erm.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what are you guys talking about? who would do this to their own players?

Amateur

I want the option to give individual team talk to players who are coming on as substitue after halftime.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fonchocp:

what are you guys talking about? who would do this to their own players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a joke- do people always have to use emoticons to signal obvious jokes?

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by breaker:
    YOU ****** *****!!! THEY'RE COMING 20TH AND THEY ****** BEAT YOU! FOR ***** SAKE! I THINK YOU SHOULD ALL TRY GOLF!!

but seriously. I'd like to be able to tell a player he'll only be playing the first half or the last 20 minutes which will make him put everything into that period. Also more options on what to tell the captain, so he can have more effect on the team during play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id like an option to do nothing but that quite obviously is ****ed off- eg "Glare at players in silence, then leave players in dressing room".

I know we can say "nothing" but I want to know its received in that way.

Maybe even in the future we could see players saying things back like:

"Boss, Im trying to stay tight but he's too quick/strong for me".

"I am marking, it x who isnt helping"

etc.

Would be a very transparent way of giving tactical feedback.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ferthepoet:
    This is your chance, prove your point..... for those guys that are demanding first team football </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny thing is - this is in there, but it never shows up when you want it too!

Third Team

"I've slept with your wife - now how d'ya like dem apples!"

An attempt to get a player fired up befire the game, with an after match comment of....

"Only joking sunshine, I wouldn't touch her if it was on a plate."

Third Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:
    "Boss, Im trying to stay tight but he's too quick/strong for me". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a football team talk right

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ferthepoet:
    This is your chance, prove your point..... for those guys that are demanding first team football </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want that one.

Always annoys me when a player demands first team football then has a terrible game. Be good to be able to say 'come on then, show me what you can do' and 'you need to do a lot better than that to stay in the first XI.

Youth Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:
    "Boss, Im trying to stay tight but he's too quick/strong for me". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a football team talk right </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope your joking.

Amateur

YOU COULDNT FINISH YOUR DINNER YOU USELESS BAG OF S~#T to Huntelaar after missing a sitter again just before he's injured again
    or
    YOU'D HAVE HIT YOUR DOG HARDER YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF S#@T to Huntelaar after missing a sitter again just before he's injured again

A pep-talk to the subs would be great and especially if its contextual.

You can change this game. Go get them.

This is your chance, go out there and show me what you can do.

Go in there and run at the opponents, they are drained.

We want this game. Get yourself behind the ball and defend with your life.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A pep-talk to the subs would be great and especially if its contextual.

You can change this game. Go get them.

This is your chance, go out there and show me what you can do.

Go in there and run at the opponents, they are drained.

We want this game. Get yourself behind the ball and defend with your life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the whole contextual idea, and the options you've given sound good.

Substitute team talks would be awesome if they were implemented right.

Third Team

When 1-0 up:

Try to get another goal, but watch it at the back.

or

We have the lead now, so we must hang on to it. (if you're the Mourinho-type)

When 2-0 up:

We have a good lead. Just don't concede and we're home and dry.

When many goals up and at home:

Okay, that was fantastic. Let's keep going and give the fans a great show. (if you want to aim for double figures)

or

That was great. Now just relax and see the game out. (if you're the forgiving type)

I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals.

Amateur

if u dont win il sell all u f***ers

Amateur

I believe a good change would be to mould it around the Manager Interaction feature, where the options are categorised. This way you could have "Angry", and then a few varying options. "Disappointed" and, again, a few different choice, and so forth.

Should make it that little more entertaining, and provide extra choices so it's not the same thing over and over

Amateur
    Chicago, Illinois/ Naples, Florida, United States

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BenArsenal:

Okay, that was fantastic. Let's keep going and give the fans a great show. (if you want to aim for double figures)

Yes, I'd love to be able to say something like this: "Great first half. Now, crush them in the second". Right now, there's really not a good option when you're up two at halftime. You either say you're happy, which makes some players go soft, or you're not, which angers some players.

[quote]I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I almost always go with "encourage". It seems to work pretty well.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe a good change would be to mould it around the Manager Interaction feature, where the options are categorised. This way you could have "Angry", and then a few varying options. "Disappointed" and, again, a few different choice, and so forth.

Should make it that little more entertaining, and provide extra choices so it's not the same thing over and over </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So long as there would be enough variance in this idea, it sounds like something that would not be too difficult to implement.

Third Team

Show them how to play football!
    Just as the Chasetown team talk was against Port Vale.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BenArsenal:

Yes, I'd love to be able to say something like this: "Great first half. Now, crush them in the second". Right now, there's really not a good option when you're up two at halftime. You either say you're happy, which makes some players go soft, or you're not, which angers some players.

[quote]I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals.

I almost always go with "encourage". It seems to work pretty well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always go with encourage too, but more options would be better.

Like: Hold onto the lead.
    You can grab another goal.
    Another goal will make certain of the win.
    Just keep playing as you are and we should have it.

Etc...

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Show them how to play football!
    Just as the Chasetown team talk was against Port Vale. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This could be used either in no pressure, huge underdog situations, or in clear favourite situations.

Part-Timer

I don't want any other team talks, the ones available first need an effect. If i get the rapport from my assistent, it says with 9/10: "No effect/ wasn't listening"

There is no use in adding new speeches if they aren't going to have any effect.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't want any other team talks, the ones available first need an effect. If i get the rapport from my assistent, it says with 9/10: "No effect/ wasn't listening"

There is no use in adding new speeches if they aren't going to have any effect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you not prefer a successful overhaul?
    Where new options were made available, and all of them had a sufficient effect.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show encouragement, works most of the time.

Amateur

How about :

"Ignore the bugged match engine, and when you go 1 on 1 with the keeper try not to float the football into the opponents goalkeepers hands"

Works a treat!!

Semi Pro
    People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people.

I'd like to be able to tell my fullbacks that insist on being much further up field than my cb's when the AI go 4 2 4 despite having forward runs set to rarely.

If I see you even thinking about going past the half way line I will transfer list you at full time.

Amateur

none, I hate team talks!

I see how they are relevant but I don't like that or the media feature which I think is crappy anyway. It should either be totally awesome or not in at all, at the moment it's pants.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">none, I hate team talks!

I see how they are relevant but I don't like that or the media feature which I think is crappy anyway. It should either be totally awesome or not in at all, at the moment it's pants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd prefer it if they were totally awesome, because I like the feature, and if it was improved, it would be really good.

Amateur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bRAzIL:
    none, I hate team talks!

I see how they are relevant but I don't like that or the media feature which I think is crappy anyway. It should either be totally awesome or not in at all, at the moment it's pants. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree i left mine to my AM who clearly wasnt even watching what was happening...

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Totally agree i left mine to my AM who clearly wasnt even watching what was happening... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you use them if they were better though?

Part-timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bRAzIL:
    none, I hate team talks!

Agree. There just isn't enough options, and two or three matches into a season and you reach that "Didn't Seem to be listening" tedium.

Team talks seem completely pointless, and it's just a game of avoiding the auto-lose button. (As pointed out many times by Serpico)

Would you actually be stupid enough to say "You've got one hand on the cup" whilst leading a final at half-time?
    You just know you're almost guaranteed to turn the players into jellied eels with 50p heads.
    It's a totally useless option to have.

(In fact, thats probably what Carlo Ancelotti said to the boys at half-time in Istanbul)

Third Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saumyajit:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    I seriously have no idea what to say when I go a goal up at half time. So many times I've said I was 'Pleased' and they go all complacent and concede goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show encouragement, works most of the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow when I encourage them while leading by a goal, it results in either:

Confused - "What do you mean we can do better? Aren't we leading already?"

or

Angry - "What? Not good enough for ya? Huh? HUH?!"

I'm exaggerating of course, but usually that is what happens. I only encourage when we're level or trailing narrowly.

Part-Timer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(In fact, thats probably what Carlo Ancelotti said to the boys at half-time in Istanbul) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!

Amateur

Totally agree with all. Some amazing suggestions in there, and summat i will definitely in favour of. SI definitely need to look at it and re-vamp the media engine, as it gets BORING after about the fifth match!! always the same scenarios and questions. On one occasion, i was sochaux and it was down to the last game, Lyon were 2 points ahead of me. One of the players said "determined to win the league" there was nothing else!!1 i mean, last couple of games of season, going down to the wire, itchy bum time n'all, and no hype in press or anything, this is what its all about, passion and glory, but nothing in media.... so definitely needs a look at. By the way, i won my last game 3-2 and Lyon lost 2-1, i won, yay.

Amateur

yea could be more variety in high importance matches like derby games.

i think a few seasons ago newcastle were 1-0 down at sunderland and won 1-4 scoring 4 in the second half

im sure half time team talk had somthing to do with it.

Amateur

This was one of my biggest disappointments in 08, that there was no serious update of team talks. FM is clearly heading in a more tactical direction (which I like), which makes the actions of the manager more important, and success less about buying the obvious star players. But with this in mind, surely the team talks would be an absolute priority? My main points would be:
    - More options and more realistic options needed, what we have now is far too generic and simply gets boring (and bordering on pointless) in no time at all
    - The ability to have a word to subs as they come on is an absolute necessity and it is ridiculous in the extreme that it has not happened yet
    - There is an almost total absence of ability to involve the captain in any real way in the game. There should be an ability to give specific messages to the captain, and even for the captain to give talks to the rest of the team (isn’t this what having a good captain is all about?)
    - There needs to be an overhaul of the effect of the team talks. I like the idea that diff players respond in diff ways depending on situation/personality, but this area of the game is still far too random and results are not clear enough.
    In summary, SI, if you are going to include team talks, make them worthwhile in both a tactical sense and a gameplay sense (neither applies at the moment). Give us substance, not fluff. This is not FIFA!
    Phew, that feels better!

Blackburn Rovers Researcher

What makes me laugh is that one of the 'Offical FM Tips' from the loading screens is be careful not to keep repeating your team talks or they may have less of an effect.

If I had more than 5 to choose from then they might not be so repetitive!

When you finally become a good team my team talks pretty much consist of the following:

Home Games - I expect a win

Away Games - You can win today

I'd like to see more tactical orientated ones as some have mentioned like,

Try and keep hold of the ball

Get rough with them

Get balls in the box

Run at them

Play your natural game

Shoot on sight

Command your area more, push the defenders out

Amateur

For me the issue is not what the words are it is what effect they have on the players - for example is "why can't you play like this everytime" meant to be a compliment or a criticism.

i tend to think comments are rated fro bad to good in the drop down box so this says it is a good comment but my team always thinks that I am criticsing them when i say this - what I am trying to say is youi did brilliantly

so some idea of the effect of the wordw ould be useful - I know it depend son the player's attitude but a matrix would help to unpick the meaning.

Amateur

Pleased with the win, but expect a better performance next match

When winning a game by the odd game against weaker opposition...

The one my assman recommends for this scenario is "why don't you play like this every week?", which just baffles me.

Semi Pro

Once, I was in the lead of the premier division and needed only one win from four matches to win the title. I drew twice (Norwich and Wigan) and lost once (to Boro!!). The "Angry" team talk passed to deaf ears, and three times (before the matches) two of my players made a comment about "rallying the troops" and I was like "oh ****in' useless"

Amateur

I wish in the match engine there was something more indicative of a players morale so it's easier to see if the half-time team talk or pre-match is having any effect. After looking at the CM08 I like how each player has a morale indicator that updates real time.

I also wish the post-match report from your Assistant gives a summary of how your team talks were received by the squad. It's annoying to have to keep going to the squad page and then select Assistant Advice &gt; Team Talk Feedback.

Blackburn Rovers Researcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powermonger:
    I wish in the match engine there was something more indicative of a players morale so it's easier to see if the half-time team talk or pre-match is having any effect. After looking at the CM08 I like how each player has a morale indicator that updates real time.

I also wish the post-match report from your Assistant gives a summary of how your team talks were received by the squad. It's annoying to have to keep going to the squad page and then select Assistant Advice &gt; Team Talk Feedback. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an excellent point, in fact a key one. Your assistant manager will tell you after a game, if you look at his feedback, of how players reacted to your team talk.

Now lets say one player is, 'Angered, seemed demotivated'

Wouldn't that be more use to you at the time instead of after the final whistle?

Imagine Alex Ferguson giving the hairdryer treatment to his players and then both strikers go on to struggle they lose the game.

After the game Ferguson is chatting to Queiroz and he says yeh they were both angry at your team talk thats why they were rubbish.

Feruson would be like, well why the hell didn't you tell me that at the time!!!! I could have said something else to them afterwards.

E.g. Queiroz tells Fergie that Rooney is angered by his teamtalk of expecting more from him, he could call him across early in the second half when the ball goes out of play and give a quick comment of I only expect more from you Wayne because I know you have it in you, now go play your natural game.

Also its all well and good the assistant spotting a few things but surely if we are giving the team talks then we would have a good indication of how they reacted.

I guess it could be solved in a way by giving your team talk, clicking confirm and getting immediate responses similiar to the ones in the Assistant Feedback section of how the players reacted.

Amateur

Losing by 2+ goals at half time and playing poorly against similar/slightly better opposition:

Forget about the first hald lads, Let's win this half and restore some pride.

There is the "expect to perform better" one, but putting pressure on people to do something is different than positively encouraging them. In this situation the "encourage" option isn't available either.

I'd like the option to just turn the whole module off. It makes little sense to me and I'd rather that my tactical decisions have more influence than choosing one of five options from a drop-down menu.

Amateur

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=3185825

If I'm really ****ed off, I'll actually not even bother with a team-talk at half-time / full-time. Actions speak louder than words.

Amateur

How about the option to resign at half-time like steve bleasdale did at peterborough!!!!!

Closed Thread