Good Squad Size?

A lot depends on what club you are playing as and how many comps you are entering.

As a guide I usually aim for: GK*2, DL*2, DR*2, DC*3, MC*3, MR*2, ML*2 & ST*3 as an absolute minimum in a 442 system.

Moving on from there I would add another MC & another ST if I could afford it and I would also make sure some of those players could play other positions so I had a 3rd choice fullback or winger.

As you move up the leagues and can afford more players I would look to have a reserve player for each position and this could be a promising younger player or just an older backup.

As a lower league manager i'm happy if i have roughly 2 players for each position on the field, then i just make up the mnumbers with youth players. If you were a premiership side you'd need a lot more depth

Not always.

If you are in Europe then I would tend to agree but for a midtable side you are looking at 38 league games, a max of 6 League Cup matches and a max of 6 FA Cup matches. Thats only 40-50 games a season which you can cope with a much smaller squad.

I like to keep a squad size of around 25 strong players, two for each position, an extra spare goalie and couple of utility players. I try and sell any good players who don't fit into this group and use my youth team to back them up instead.

As a lower league manager i'm happy if i have roughly 2 players for each position on the field, then i just make up the mnumbers with youth players. If you were a premiership side you'd need a lot more depth

I disagree, anything more than 25 is just overkill and will lead to unhappy players and low squad harmony. Even if you are playing in all competitions, 25 players is more than enough. If you have any emergencies you can recruit some of your more talented U21s. It helps having versatile players though.

I sometimes try to keep my BSN/S squads to 18 players with all my outfield players being able to play in two different positions in most cases, but in jan i'll bring in any players released from irish clubs just to bolster the squad and maybe to im prove in certain areas

I think the key is having players play on both side on a couple of positions.

like midfielder who can pay across the board etc.

I do tend to have loads of payers and have to cut down hugely. when I see good players i make an offer and possibley and up with 3 or 4 good players in the same position :(

I'm just about to start a Championship campaign and have a mamoth squad of 53 players!! A few are dead wood who I will let go, but I do have a tendency to sign up a large number of youngsters released from bigger clubs who look quite promising. I'm going to loan a lot of these out this year hopefully to see them develop.

I also find it hard to release the players who come through my youth ranks, instead giving them "just one more year" to see if they can make the step up. They rarely do, though I do have three players who came all the way through my youth set-up to break into the first team squad. I would say my first team squad is probably about 25 players strong enough to compete regularly, with the rest youngsters (up to 22 years old) who I'm trying to develop (either in the reserves or by loaning out).

I usually have 2 Goalkeepers, Four full backs (2 Left 2 Right) Four CB's, Five MC's (Two DM's Two AM's One Natural Centre) Four Wingers (Two Right Two Left) then Four Strikers! Then maybe one player who plays left right cente in midfield then one in defence.

23. 2 for each position and a third keeper.

Same here, also try and have players that can cover more than one position eg MRC DLC AML/ST as it means i can concentrate on bringing through youth that little bit more knowing i can play 1 of the other players in other positions if needed

I like to keep a squad size of around 25 strong players, two for each position, an extra spare goalie and couple of utility players. I try and sell any good players who don't fit into this group and use my youth team to back them up instead.

I do what this man does, but with 23/24.

It depends on which competetions you are playing in. Lower league clubs playing domestically only need around 20 players. Big clubs trying to win multiple competetions need 25 and I also like to have a few 18 year olds that you can bring in if you need to.

GK.Ochoa Akinfeev

DR .Alves Santon

DL. Evra Traore

DRC. Vidic Ferdinand

DLC. Sakho Bassong

AMR. Ronaldo Wijnaldum

AML. Messi Fleck

MCR. Hargreaves Schneiderlin

MCL. Anderson Vukcevic

FR. Aguero Paloschi

FL. Rooney Tevez Adriano

LOAN. Sneijder Santonocito Ljajic Assulin Petrucci Macheda

This is my Manchester United squad in 2012, I believe its of a relatively good size. 2 main players for each position altho a number of my players are versatile, my attacking midfielders are capable on either flank. This leaves me covered incase of injury.

Archived