Not playing FM2010 till the final patch is out?

I've been saying this for years but might actually do it this time: thinking of not actually getting the game till the final patch is out (February normally). That way it will be as bug free as its going to get, there will be a good choice of 3rd party skins and graphics and it will no doubt be cheaper then!

I'm loving my FM2009 save currently too so that should keep me going. It will be hard to resist until then though!

• SI Staff
I've been saying this for years but might actually do it this time: thinking of not actually getting the game till the final patch is out (February normally). That way it will be as bug free as its going to get, there will be a good chioce of 3rd party skins and graphics and it will doubt will be cheaper then!

I'm loving my FM2009 save currently too so that should keep me going. It will be hard to resist until then though!

You'll not be able to resist the "start as Man City" challenge. It's like a rich kid in a sweetshop!

You won't. Come October the 30th, you'll be feeling like a kid on christmas eve.

Hope nobody takes this the wrong way but there are always bugs/issues in every release (as in any software of course) and the majority of these are usually fixed along with a data update for the final patch. Of course i'll try the demo but i put blood sweat and tears into every save i play (14 days on my current save and counting) so i'd rather wait until the game is as good as they can get it to be..

Don't want to use the classic line 'i've played every version since the Amiga blah blah' but i have!! Heard it all before. The new announcements this time of year always sound great and get us drooling but it's a different story on here come release day!

Hope nobody takes this the wrong way but there are always bugs/issues in every release (as in any software of course) and the majority of these are usually fixed along with a data update for the final patch. Of course i'll try the demo but i put blood sweat and tears into every save i play (14 days on my current save and counting) so i'd rather wait until the game is as good as they can get it to be..

I definitely understand. Just download the demo, and see if you like it. That is the only thing you can judge on.

I might wait to buy it until the last patch is out. It all depends on the Demo really. If I am extremely impressed (or see it at a really good price) I'd buy it as soon as it came out but FM09 I didn't really enjoy until the feb patch was out.

There were some game ruining bugs before the final patch in FM09. The one a remember most was the one that affected some leagues (Spain in my case) where the assman was signing crap players behing your back on mega wages over 100k a week. Iirc this was in 9.0.2 and was a knock on from fixing something else from 9.0.1. Was indeed fixed for the final patch but meant i couldn't play my game for a couple of months as i'd saved my game with the 9.0.2 patch and my game wouldn't load when reverting to 9.0.1. It's this kind of stuff i can do without.

Initial forum rants will decide whether I buy this or not, although the past few releases have told me that waiting for at least 2 patches is kind of a must nowadays, such is the shoddy testing done with glaring bugs thundering through the cracks.

Of course, it's the jobs of the impatient guinea-pigs jumping in and buying it as soon as it comes out to find all those massive bugs to stabilise the game. I thank those impatient fans for this very reason.

Oh lol. Just grow up already. You'll be playing the game and complaining about the bugs 3 hours after the release.

Actually, no, I never get software the moment it's released. It's probably one of the stupidest things you can do unless you enjoy frustration and disappointment.

Plus if FM10 turns out to be stupid, then I'd've wasted my money.

I do the same thing for Firefox, for example, and I believe it has helped a load.

Hi

Yep sounds good the information I have read in my SI email this evening. Demo a deffo and feedback a must.

And this year we have another possible demo to test against it so all looking good.

K..:)

I was thinking the same thing actually, personally I accept the fact there is a possibility that there can potentially be bugs in games or software, but at the end of the day if you buy it when patches have been released then so be it. It's the buyers choice, at the end of the day, they can read/post on here, try the demo, read reviews.

I was contemplating this myself. But, then I saw the announcement thread and screenshots, day one purchase for me. I'll download the patches should they/when they arrive. I'm a patient enough fellow.

I just really hope this forum doesn't get bombarded with the usual nutters who don't read the game manual ask for help which is clearly in the manual, or just rant. It's nice when others are constructive, honesty in a contructive goes a long way. Idiots who complain in an un-constructuve just deters people from the forums especially this one, I lerked on here for ages before posted, just hope that doesn't happen again.

Well if everybody did what you do then there would be no feedback.

Obviously, but of course this is not going to happen. So this "if" clause is meaningless.

So I'd say it actually improves the game. but it makes sense if you use the selfish approach and then demand results. Oh well.

I'm not demanding results. Obviously people who run into bugs help the game, and it just happens that there are people who will benefit from not doing SI's testing for them.

The last two releases haven't gone smoothly at all so I do not know why it is in my interest to get it early and get my fingers burnt - especially as it is almost guaranteed to happen.

Selfish perhaps but I can give my own feedback in my own way without buying software immediately when it comes out.

I'll probably wait but the new changes look far more significant and essential than what 09 gave us. I just hope they work as intended and I hope we can turn off press conferences. And I mean proper turn them off, not giving it to the Ass Man who messes things up!

Either way, I'll probably go into this with bit more hesitancy than usual. FM09 was my first iffy experience so hopefully it was a one off.

Obviously, but of course this is not going to happen. So this "if" clause is meaningless.

I'm not demanding results. Obviously people who run into bugs help the game, and it just happens that there are people who will benefit from not doing SI's testing for them.

The last two releases haven't gone smoothly at all so I do not know why it is in my interest to get it early and get my fingers burnt - especially as it is almost guaranteed to happen.

Selfish perhaps but I can give my own feedback in my own way without buying software immediately when it comes out.

Wow, strong point of view, I hope thinking like that works out for ya.

From the sounds of it, considering the way they are currently dealing with bugs, I don't think there'll be much wrong with the released version.

I completely share your optimism.

In bizzare way. I hardly never notice any of the previous game bugs at all TBH.

Here's food for thought.

If I had FM 2009 and no internet connection......., I would of probably will have enjoyed the game as equally as I do with an internet connection, I would of never have seen threads, stating new bug found, oooh nooooOOoo this game is glitched, for one I probably will have never been concerned and will of blamed my own stupidity or rashness. To be frank.

But yes there are bugs, they happen, to make a bold statement in the announcement thread by SI/Miles, good for them I really mean it, coding a game to this extent is mind boggling as in my case a lot it was "It's your tactics" was probably the case most of the time. However these tweaks to how I create tactics, formations etc, etc, may help me configure a set of instructions, team talks, so when I click an action me <The end user> has the responce to the action I chose not, No... no...NooooOOOoo I never choice that making me confused and frustrated. By the game code, not wrong or bad, just leaving with the odd huh, that's not what I meant feeling.

In bizzare way. I hardly never notice any of the previous game bugs at all TBH.

This is a ridiculous statement. SI have even gone to a lot of trouble explaining the numerous problems which spoiled the 09 game, clearly you either dont have a clue how to play the game or dont understand football if you was happy with a game which was faulty, and the faults made the game unrealistic (which has been confirmed)...

This is a ridiculous statement. SI have even gone to a lot of trouble explaining the numerous problems which spoiled the 09 game, clearly you either dont have a clue how to play the game or dont understand football if you was happy with a game which was faulty, and the faults made the game unrealistic (which has been confirmed)...

No it isn't actualy I play the game my way and I am happy, with it.

I fully appreciate some of the games flaws which are more ever; evident on games forums, as all I was trying to state was, the bugs are noticed more, as of games forums, fan sites etc.

I am as pleased as you are I would presume that you are going to be looking forward to the flaws admited, have been worked on, bugs ironed out and so on, new game tweaks.

However... I will continue to enjoy the game, I still play Fm '09 and I have the previous game titles on the shelf, FM '09 is the best version yet, that's my opinion.

I am not an amazing football manager, but I enjoy the game and I make numerous mistakes, yes there bugs these are going to be worked out it seems from the statements, from SI it looks like the game is going to be even better again, I do understand football, but some bugs a will have over looked from how I play the game, the injury bug though that was annoying. But KUDOS to SI games. You have your view, I've mine.

Funnily enough last year was the first time I didn't buy on realise instead waiting for the final patch to ocme out (or rather when I saw everyone was happy). I think I got it in Feb/March in the end, £5 in the bargain bin at Game. Saved me a fair bit of cash and months of frustration at things not working quietly amused at everyone that, once again, decided to buy on release and realised they'd been done. I'll be waiting again. Of course if when the game is released everyone says it's a great game and no major bugs then I'll be more than happy to pop out and buy but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Fingers crossed though.

If I had FM 2009 and no internet connection......., I would of probably will have enjoyed the game as equally as I do with an internet connection, I would of never have seen threads, stating new bug found, oooh nooooOOoo this game is glitched, for one I probably will have never been concerned and will of blamed my own stupidity or rashness. To be frank.

I didn't know what a bug was before I found these forums, so it would have been pretty unlikely I found any...

Initial forum rants will decide whether I buy this or not, although the past few releases have told me that waiting for at least 2 patches is kind of a must nowadays, such is the shoddy testing done with glaring bugs thundering through the cracks.

Of course, it's the jobs of the impatient guinea-pigs jumping in and buying it as soon as it comes out to find all those massive bugs to stabilise the game. I thank those impatient fans for this very reason.

Forum rants are notoriously unreliabe so there's no way you should base a decision solely on that. I'm sure there were many rants about cm2 but I wasn't in this forum so was blisfully unaware and enjoying the game

I usually pre-order football manager for a dirt cheap price, receive the game on release day, and then keep it on the shelf till the final patch has been released. I've done this for the previous 3 football manager games and I shall be doing so with fm2010.

The final patch is usually released at April, so it's a good few months of the game being on the shelf.

I usually pre-order football manager for a dirt cheap price, receive the game on release day, and then keep it on the shelf till the final patch has been released. I've done this for the previous 3 football manager games and I shall be doing so with fm2010.

The final patch is usually released at April, so it's a good few months of the game being on the shelf.

April? Been Febuary the last few years:D

Actually, no, I never get software the moment it's released. It's probably one of the stupidest things you can do unless you enjoy frustration and disappointment.

I don't enjoy frustration and disappointment, but I did enjoy FM09 on release day.

Initial forum rants will decide whether I buy this or not

That's very naive of you then. Some people rant for the sake of ranting, no matter how good FM10 is, there will be ranters who find something to complain about. You strike me as one of them actually; is it fun having such a negative outlook on everything even before you are able to give a proper judgement?

I don't tend to buy FM until the first patch is released, at least I haven't done that for FM '07 and '09 (didn't purchase 08). Unless it is an absolutely must have online game (I'm looking at you Modern Warfare 2) I'm happy to wait. For the majority of games I play on PC the game is much improved after the first patch as the level of scrutiny upon release is much more thorough than even the most thorough of beta tests.

To be frank I'v never purchased a AAA title on PC for it to be unplayable at release - although saying that America's Army 3 was unplayable but it was free.

That's very naive of you then. Some people rant for the sake of ranting, no matter how good FM10 is, there will be ranters who find something to complain about. You strike me as one of them actually; is it fun having such a negative outlook on everything even before you are able to give a proper judgement?

I believe I can tell the difference between trolls, whiners and genuine complaints. I've done it for multiple software programs before.

I don't think there's anything wrong with assuming things will go wrong considering the last two releases.

I think it is a very sensible approach to wait a while between the initial release of FM and purchasing it. Check out the demo, and if there are obvious bugs from that (e.g. tthhee ddoouubbllee lleetteerr nnaammee bbuugg) then you know that the game has not been properly tested.

As always I'll try the demo and base my decision on that. But if it has all of the stuff that is in the announcment, and existing features have indeed been polished and improved then I'll be without a doubt buying it on release day.

SI, please prepare yourselves to receive death threats from my fiancee, who I'm sure would love for me to not buy FM10 and instead spend the extra time talking to her :D

So SmurfDude will there be another of your famous Flex skins for FM2010? Please say it will be so! Why they don't employ you i don't know!

Probably not. I like the skin SI have made this year, but I'll probably edit the pitches again if they aren't drastically improved

I'm torn...I do enjoy the "kid on Xmas day" feeling that I get on release day, but having said that waiting for the patch and price to drop would probably be the sensible thing to do, and more importantly I've really gotten into a good long term (for me) FM09 save, I'm into 2016 now and while I'll probably get to about 2020 by the end of October, I wouldn't mind keeping it going for a bit longer after that.

Having said that - I just know I'm going to be eagerly stood in the line in GAME on that morning, probably having booked the next week off work...

Don't want to use the classic line 'i've played every version since the Amiga blah blah' but i have!! Heard it all before. The new announcements this time of year always sound great and get us drooling but it's a different story on here come release day!

and how is that going for you?

and how is that going for you?

It's simply a saying. You didn't take that literally did you?

The phrase "blood, toil tears and sweat" is from a famous Second World War speech by Winston Churchill. The phrase is often shortened to "blood, sweat, and tears," possibly because the bodily-fluids theme makes it more memorable.

Thanks for your useful comment though, internet forums need more people like you.

Archived