Bug or just bad luck?

My 'keeper (Victor Valdes) has gifted 4 goals this season to the opposition by coming out for the ball and either just standing there with the ball at his feet then getting tackled, mis-controlling the ball and getting beat or kicking it straight to the other teams RM who puts the ball into an empty net. I lost patience and dropped him then my reserve 'keeper did the exact same thing (mis-controlled) in his first game.

Is it just bad luck as this sort of thing never happens to the oppositions 'keeper and only my 'keeper makes these sort of howlers.

Yeah, drop his mentality. I don't know his eccentricity attribute either. If it's high it may happen at times.

On top of that there might be a small flaw in the ME, but I just see this once in a blue moon so I'd say individual instructions and eccentricity will play the more important role here.

You're keeper's distribution is set to Defender Collects. Could be waiting for the defender to pick up the ball.

Just a thought.

I think that you are on to something here. I my game I wanted my keeper to play the ball to defenders instead of just hacking the ball away and I set him to defender collect and then this happened to me a couple of times as well.

I found that the trick to get your goalie to play the ball to the defenders without just standing around and losing the ball is to set his passing style to short and as mentioned earlier in this thread lowering his mentality to defensive might not be a bad idea either.

Good luck.

I think that you are on to something here. I my game I wanted my keeper to play the ball to defenders instead of just hacking the ball away and I set him to defender collect and then this happened to me a couple of times as well.

I found that the trick to get your goalie to play the ball to the defenders without just standing around and losing the ball is to set his passing style to short and as mentioned earlier in this thread lowering his mentality to defensive might not be a bad idea either.

Good luck.

So you want to give him two instructions that could easily contradict each other and lead to problems?

Surely it would be easier to lower his Closing Down, meaning he wouldn't try and run to the ball? I always have all keeper stats set to mimimum, try doing the same :thup:

Does he still close down when an ST is one-on-one with him?

So you want to give him two instructions that could easily contradict each other and lead to problems?

Cougar, they are not 2 conflicting instructions, there is nothing contradictory in short passing style and a defensive mentality.

Guys, really, do you seriously believe that tactical instructions should determine what a keeper does when he sees an opposing striker running towards him? I mean that players are supposed to have brains in real life and FM should mirror that somehow... I don't want my keeper to kick it out to the stands all the time but in these circumstances he should have the brain to do that without fine-tuning the instructions...

but in these circumstances he should have the brain to do that without fine-tuning the instructions...

A computer generated player should have the mental capacity to decide when to follow tactics and whent to think for themselves? That sounds very hard to code. Of course it would be ideal, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

Cougar, they are not 2 conflicting instructions, there is nothing contradictory in short passing style and a defensive mentality.

Some of the tactics gurus would give you a better idea but I believe they are:

Short passing style with defender collect = don't clear the ball.

Defensive mentality = don't take risks.

Take the scenario - The opposition are pushing up and putting pressure on the defence. Ball is passed back to the GK who is being closed down. Does he try to pass it to a defender who is also under pressure therefore ignoring the mentality order or does he clear the ball ignoring the passing style order. Either way he has to ignore one order that has been given.

My 'keeper (Victor Valdes) has gifted 4 goals this season to the opposition by coming out for the ball and either just standing there with the ball at his feet then getting tackled, mis-controlling the ball and getting beat or kicking it straight to the other teams RM who puts the ball into an empty net. I lost patience and dropped him then my reserve 'keeper did the exact same thing (mis-controlled) in his first game.

Is it just bad luck as this sort of thing never happens to the oppositions 'keeper and only my 'keeper makes these sort of howlers.

If what you said is true, then it is somewhat unrealistic because no matter how you tweak your tactic, a player with such high calibre as Valdes should not behave like this.

You're keeper's distribution is set to Defender Collects. Could be waiting for the defender to pick up the ball.

Just a thought.

Defender Collect is a good thing. Help you play possesion football.

Surely it would be easier to lower his Closing Down, meaning he wouldn't try and run to the ball? I always have all keeper stats set to mimimum, try doing the same :thup:

I agree. Only set his passing to mixed.

A computer generated player should have the mental capacity to decide when to follow tactics and whent to think for themselves? That sounds very hard to code. Of course it would be ideal, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

Why do we have a "decisions" attribute at all, then? Surely it's useless if we assume that players rigidly adhere to tactical instructions all the time.

By that logic, the decisions attribute is the most important in the game. Why worry about finishing/tackling, if decisions has the power to not only guide a player tactically, but mentally. Placing such emphasis on one attribute is a risky business, does a poor striker become a good striker, regardless of finishing ability, because they make better decisions and as such can decide what way to hit the ball, whether to power it in etc? It doesn't hold up.

I never said decisions should be more important than finishing or tackling. I said that a keeper shouldn't regularly make stupid things like this because of tactical instructions because that is a flaw in the game. Decisions and all the other mental attributes should determine what he does in such a situation. You should not have to be a tactical expert to prevent your keeper standing with the ball at his feet and allowing himself to be tackled.

And yes, it's like when people here claim that other people should tweak tactics to stop their strikers missing one-on-ones. They might be right, I don't know, but if they are, that's a flaw in the game.

I never said decisions should be more important than finishing or tackling. I said that a keeper shouldn't regularly make stupid things like this because of tactical instructions because that is a flaw in the game. Decisions and all the other mental attributes should determine what he does in such a situation. You should not have to be a tactical expert to prevent your keeper standing with the ball at his feet and allowing himself to be tackled.

And yes, it's like when people here claim that other people should tweak tactics to stop their strikers missing one-on-ones. They might be right, I don't know, but if they are, that's a flaw in the game.

So you want decisions to count more than tactics, in certain parts of the game, but not others? How does the player work this out? I can't envisage SI coding a game that has Player A playing to tactics, but then switching to decisions as soon as a certain sceanrio occurs.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I don't think it could work.

The settings in that picture are awful for a GK.Remove his longshots and the most important:Match his Closing Down with his mentality

M:rolleyes::rolleyes::

I set everything to the lowest possible and he's just gifted 2 goals in 2 games by come out for the ball and not getting it. So much for my awful settings smart arse.....

Archived