+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bug or just bad luck?

Amateur

Default Bug or just bad luck?

My 'keeper (Victor Valdes) has gifted 4 goals this season to the opposition by coming out for the ball and either just standing there with the ball at his feet then getting tackled, mis-controlling the ball and getting beat or kicking it straight to the other teams RM who puts the ball into an empty net. I lost patience and dropped him then my reserve 'keeper did the exact same thing (mis-controlled) in his first game.

Is it just bad luck as this sort of thing never happens to the oppositions 'keeper and only my 'keeper makes these sort of howlers.

Third Team

Default Re: Bug or just bad luck?

What patch are you on?

Amateur

I'm on 9.3.0

Semi Pro

I think it is just a bad piece of animation. The ME says that their player wins the ball, but the animation shows valdes getting there first. Therefore it looks to you like he is just standing there while they tackle him.

Semi Pro

For 3d their is a graphics overlay for to interpret the ME, sometimes this messes up, so that could be it. Also Valdes has 14 eccentricity so that could also be a contributing factor.

Reserves
    www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk - the ultimate Football Manager Resource!

Seems like your tactics are messed up. Can you post up your goalkeepers instructions?

Amateur

Reserves

Personally I would lower his mentality somewhat. High mentality + high eccentricity is just asking for trouble.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    High mentality + high eccentricity is just asking for trouble.
    I immediately see Barthez before me .

Amateur

You're keeper's distribution is set to Defender Collects. Could be waiting for the defender to pick up the ball.
    Just a thought.

Third Team

Yeah, drop his mentality. I don't know his eccentricity attribute either. If it's high it may happen at times.
    On top of that there might be a small flaw in the ME, but I just see this once in a blue moon so I'd say individual instructions and eccentricity will play the more important role here.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by alimac View Post
    You're keeper's distribution is set to Defender Collects. Could be waiting for the defender to pick up the ball.
    Just a thought.
    I think that you are on to something here. I my game I wanted my keeper to play the ball to defenders instead of just hacking the ball away and I set him to defender collect and then this happened to me a couple of times as well.
    I found that the trick to get your goalie to play the ball to the defenders without just standing around and losing the ball is to set his passing style to short and as mentioned earlier in this thread lowering his mentality to defensive might not be a bad idea either.
    Good luck.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Fan View Post
    I think that you are on to something here. I my game I wanted my keeper to play the ball to defenders instead of just hacking the ball away and I set him to defender collect and then this happened to me a couple of times as well.
    I found that the trick to get your goalie to play the ball to the defenders without just standing around and losing the ball is to set his passing style to short and as mentioned earlier in this thread lowering his mentality to defensive might not be a bad idea either.
    Good luck.

So you want to give him two instructions that could easily contradict each other and lead to problems?

Reserves
    www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk - the ultimate Football Manager Resource!

Surely it would be easier to lower his Closing Down, meaning he wouldn't try and run to the ball? I always have all keeper stats set to mimimum, try doing the same

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_2111 View Post
    Surely it would be easier to lower his Closing Down, meaning he wouldn't try and run to the ball? I always have all keeper stats set to mimimum, try doing the same
    Does he still close down when an ST is one-on-one with him?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    So you want to give him two instructions that could easily contradict each other and lead to problems?
    Cougar, they are not 2 conflicting instructions, there is nothing contradictory in short passing style and a defensive mentality.

Amateur

Guys, really, do you seriously believe that tactical instructions should determine what a keeper does when he sees an opposing striker running towards him? I mean that players are supposed to have brains in real life and FM should mirror that somehow... I don't want my keeper to kick it out to the stands all the time but in these circumstances he should have the brain to do that without fine-tuning the instructions...

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by midlothian View Post
    but in these circumstances he should have the brain to do that without fine-tuning the instructions...
    A computer generated player should have the mental capacity to decide when to follow tactics and whent to think for themselves? That sounds very hard to code. Of course it would be ideal, but I don't think it's particularly likely.

Reserves

Cougar, they are not 2 conflicting instructions, there is nothing contradictory in short passing style and a defensive mentality.
    Some of the tactics gurus would give you a better idea but I believe they are:

Short passing style with defender collect = don't clear the ball.

Defensive mentality = don't take risks.

Take the scenario - The opposition are pushing up and putting pressure on the defence. Ball is passed back to the GK who is being closed down. Does he try to pass it to a defender who is also under pressure therefore ignoring the mentality order or does he clear the ball ignoring the passing style order. Either way he has to ignore one order that has been given.

Amateur

The settings in that picture are awful for a GK.Remove his longshots and the most important:Match his Closing Down with his mentality
    M[B][I]:

Amateur

Go to Set To --> Goalkeeper
    I had that problem mentality high and he runs from goals to pick up ball and attackers come and they lob him :@

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by pires29 View Post
    My 'keeper (Victor Valdes) has gifted 4 goals this season to the opposition by coming out for the ball and either just standing there with the ball at his feet then getting tackled, mis-controlling the ball and getting beat or kicking it straight to the other teams RM who puts the ball into an empty net. I lost patience and dropped him then my reserve 'keeper did the exact same thing (mis-controlled) in his first game.

Is it just bad luck as this sort of thing never happens to the oppositions 'keeper and only my 'keeper makes these sort of howlers.
    If what you said is true, then it is somewhat unrealistic because no matter how you tweak your tactic, a player with such high calibre as Valdes should not behave like this.

Third Team

Just a thought.
    Defender Collect is a good thing. Help you play possesion football.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal_2111 View Post
    I agree. Only set his passing to mixed.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Elrithral View Post
    A computer generated player should have the mental capacity to decide when to follow tactics and whent to think for themselves? That sounds very hard to code. Of course it would be ideal, but I don't think it's particularly likely.
    Why do we have a "decisions" attribute at all, then? Surely it's useless if we assume that players rigidly adhere to tactical instructions all the time.

Youth Team

By that logic, the decisions attribute is the most important in the game. Why worry about finishing/tackling, if decisions has the power to not only guide a player tactically, but mentally. Placing such emphasis on one attribute is a risky business, does a poor striker become a good striker, regardless of finishing ability, because they make better decisions and as such can decide what way to hit the ball, whether to power it in etc? It doesn't hold up.

Amateur

I never said decisions should be more important than finishing or tackling. I said that a keeper shouldn't regularly make stupid things like this because of tactical instructions because that is a flaw in the game. Decisions and all the other mental attributes should determine what he does in such a situation. You should not have to be a tactical expert to prevent your keeper standing with the ball at his feet and allowing himself to be tackled.

And yes, it's like when people here claim that other people should tweak tactics to stop their strikers missing one-on-ones. They might be right, I don't know, but if they are, that's a flaw in the game.

Amateur

It's more a case of the graphics not representing the match engine as has been said before.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by midlothian View Post
    I never said decisions should be more important than finishing or tackling. I said that a keeper shouldn't regularly make stupid things like this because of tactical instructions because that is a flaw in the game. Decisions and all the other mental attributes should determine what he does in such a situation. You should not have to be a tactical expert to prevent your keeper standing with the ball at his feet and allowing himself to be tackled.

And yes, it's like when people here claim that other people should tweak tactics to stop their strikers missing one-on-ones. They might be right, I don't know, but if they are, that's a flaw in the game.
    So you want decisions to count more than tactics, in certain parts of the game, but not others? How does the player work this out? I can't envisage SI coding a game that has Player A playing to tactics, but then switching to decisions as soon as a certain sceanrio occurs.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I don't think it could work.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    The settings in that picture are awful for a GK.Remove his longshots and the most important:Match his Closing Down with his mentality
    M[B][I]:
    I set everything to the lowest possible and he's just gifted 2 goals in 2 games by come out for the ball and not getting it. So much for my awful settings smart arse.....

+ Reply to Thread