Inflated Transfer Fees

Does anyone else feel that the Transfer Fees paid by the clubs in FM (8.02) are totally over the top?

Is it Clubs having too much money (i.e. a lot more than they have in real life)?

I'll give you an example in Season 3 of my game. Man Utd paid £39M for Michael Johnson (from city). i know he's a hot prospect in real life but c'mon!

In Season 1 Liverpool paid £25M for Verdun Corluka (also from City).

Also in Season 1 Ac Milan paid £25M for Diarra (from Pompey).

I'm now half way throug my third season and it seems a lot of clubs who play European football all have a £25M-£35M signing in the last couple of seasons. Often for players who really aren't even world class.

I agree that some price inflation may take place over time but some of the transfer fees have been mystifying.

I dont know if anyone else has similar experiences...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone else feel that the Transfer Fees paid by the clubs in FM (8.02) are totally over the top?

Is it Clubs having too much money (i.e. a lot more than they have in real life)?

I'll give you an example in Season 3 of my game. Man Utd paid £39M for Michael Johnson (from city). i know he's a hot prospect in real life but c'mon!

I'm now half way throug my third season and it seems a lot of clubs who play European football all have a £25M-£35M signing in the last couple of seasons. Often for players who really aren't even world class.

I agree that some price inflation may take place over time but some of the transfer fees have been mystifying.

I dont know if anyone else has similar experiences...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yakubu22:

Does anyone else feel that the Transfer Fees paid by the clubs in FM (8.02) are totally over the top? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, many many people feel the same way and many many people have opened threads about the exact same thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it Clubs having too much money (i.e. a lot more than they have in real life)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, yes this is the major contributing factor in the size of transfer fees. If a club has a large transfer kitty then it stands to reason that the selling club is going to ask for as much as possible and milk the deal. Chelsea are a real life example; SWP was not worth 24m but they were forced to pay it because Man City knew they could afford such a ridiculous fee, likewise with Damien Duff.

In FM terms, I tried to sign Huntelaar from Ajax and had a transfer kitty of 109 million, Ajax said they wouldn't settle for anything elss than 30m, but were happy to accept 20 from Porto. IMO this was all based on the fact that I had enough money to pay over the odds and IMO that is totally realistic. Whereas the amount of money I had available for transfer was unrealisitic.

Obviously I understand that a selling cub will hold out for the best deal possible (especially if the Buying club are very wealthy).

But I'm not talking about the elite few clubs of Europe but teams in the Uefa Cup (like Ath. Madrid, Portsmouth, Villa, Everton, Getafe) all paying massive sums of money for players.

Yeh you are right with the Chelsea analogy but the ease at which some clubs generate money needs to be looked at. Arsenal offered me a budget of £120M to takeover after Wenger left. I cant see that ever happpening (being over stupid money to spend) in real life IMO.

A very well documented issue. About 3 posts a day at one point. It's trailed off a bit lately, though. I'd like to think it was the AI taking inflation into account, but I doubt that. I'd rather have loads like this than none at all though. Always gives me a smile when someone like Corluka goes for £40M+. He's good, but even on the game he ain't that good. Especially when, if you play as City, the chairman happily accepts £14M for him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yakubu22:

Obviously I understand that a selling cub will hold out for the best deal possible (especially if the Buying club are very wealthy).

But I'm not talking about the elite few clubs of Europe but teams in the Uefa Cup (like Ath. Madrid, Portsmouth, Villa, Everton, Getafe) all paying massive sums of money for players.

Yeh you are right with the Chelsea analogy but the ease at which some clubs generate money needs to be looked at. Arsenal offered me a budget of £120M to takeover after Wenger left. I cant see that ever happpening (being over stupid money to spend) in real life IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you've hit the nail on the head with the actual issue IMO. Clubs make money far too quickly and make far too much. One of the answers is given in your initial post.

You list Portsmouth as a small club spending outrageous amounts of money, the reason is they are selling players for outrageous amount e.g. Diarra. Man City in your game have sold £65m pounds worth of player so are istantly rich. So instead of a big four in England with huge busgets you now have a big 6, not to mention the amount Villa will generate by selling the likes of Barry etc.

IMO the transfer amounts aren't too big but their affect is too big. Whereas IRL a team like Man City (in previous seasons) would sell 65m worth of players but only get 15m or 20m to spend, in game they get all 65m and so become a big spender and a big hitter. There is scope in FM for nearly every team in the PL to become super rich because of player sales, whereas IRL the money generated would not necessarily be made available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

Yeh you are right with the Chelsea analogy but the ease at which some clubs generate money needs to be looked at. Arsenal offered me a budget of £120M to takeover after Wenger left. I cant see that ever happpening (being over stupid money to spend) in real life IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you've hit the nail on the head with the actual issue IMO. Clubs make money far too quickly and make far too much. One of the answers is given in your initial post.

You list Portsmouth as a small club spending outrageous amounts of money, the reason is they are selling players for outrageous amount e.g. Diarra. Man City in your game have sold £65m pounds worth of player so are istantly rich. So instead of a big four in England with huge busgets you now have a big 6, not to mention the amount Villa will generate by selling the likes of Barry etc.

IMO the transfer amounts aren't too big but their affect is too big. Whereas IRL a team like Man City (in previous seasons) would sell 65m worth of players but only get 15m or 20m to spend, in game they get all 65m and so become a big spender and a big hitter. There is scope in FM for nearly every team in the PL to become super rich because of player sales, whereas IRL the money generated would not necessarily be made available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

exactly.

becouse of that the game is totally unrealistic after a few transfer windows, for me.

i've not played many seasons outside the premier league, but prize money at the end of my sevilla game had little to no effect on my budget or finances. in fact, a lower mid table finish in the prem gives you more prize money than a top 6 finish in la liga.

the problem is, before the beta patch, finance issues were worse. my first game was Athletico Madrid, and even though they didn't have a massive amount of money, they were losing loads more money than they were making every year. winning a champions league group game win was very important, nearly £500K prize money paid wages, but nothing else had an effect.

and yet, buying a player from mallorca who was worth £1M (half the budget) would have cost about £7M-£9M. i refuse to pay stupid amount, especially when rivals get to bid much less for the same players.

i think more money needs to come out of the game in order to make it more realistic. agents fees, interest, reimbursing shareholders and other expenditure needs to increase. when this happens the amounts of money spent on players etc, will be more realistic over a longer period. at the moment a team that earns 50m in a season will have 50m to spend and that money will be redistributed to whoever they buy from. all teams get progressively richer extremely fast as almost all money generated stays in the game.

yep as discussed above..I dont feel the transfer valuations are realistic. A lot of clubs seems to become "Rich" very easily by selling good (but not world class) players at almost World Record breaking prices. Which is also unreaslistic IMO.

Hopefully in the next game/patch clubs wont be so stubborn when demanding ridiculous transfer fees. City turned down £42M for Micah Richards in my game. They wanted £62M. Well even in real life if he improves even more in the next year could you imagine a bid like that ever been made (OR consequently turned down) for him?

another example of clubs being too rich, i downloaded an italian save game from 2015 and chose roma, who finished 13th in 2014/15. they had over £250M and a transfer budget of £150M. it was fun spending it on good regens, but it put me off that game tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stokes_83:

It is the stupidest part of this game right now. How could anyone defend these marginal players being sold for amounts that would smash records IRL. I can't believe they didn't fix the issue in one of the patches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not something that can just be fixed easily with a patch though - they'd need to re-work the whole financial model in the game. The problem is with club's having too much money, and hence being able to afford to splash vast sums on players.

Obviously it starts with the big clubs signing top players from smaller clubs for vastly inflated fees (based on them having huge amounts of money) and then the knock-on effect being that the smaller clubs then become very wealthy themselves.

I dont know if anyone else has similar experiences... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the problem lies in the players desire to leave the smaller clubs for the truly top teams.

What tends to happen in real life is that when a top team declares an interest with a players agent, the player and the agent tell the club they want to leave for this bigger team. The selling club now has a unhappy player and much reduce bargaining power. This just doesn't happen in FM nearly often enough. You would see prices greatly reduced if agents were properly introduced!

The players mentioned above are all good players, but not world class. Man City should be looking to get around 10m for these players, not 30m. Yes world class players should go for 20-30m, but even when the player is unhappy that is greatly reduced, e.g. Owen to Newcastle, Parker and Dyer to West Ham, Henry to Barcelona.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LARulz:

Prices are over the top in the game, for example Kaka costs over £60 million in the game, when on a game such as Championship Manager 2008 you can get him for a bit more of a realistic price of £32 million </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that's a bad example. I'd be very surprised if Kaka left AC for less than £50mil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

what's even more frightening is that you guys talk in pounds not euro, icon_wink.gif

I'm not sure about this, but how many transfers were higher than 30M euro (about 20M pounds), in last couple of seasons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I read somewhere that in the calendar year, 2007, Torres was the biggest transfer anywhere in the world. His price was £20m-26.5m (depending on the source).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other players who've gone for £20m plus in the last couple of years, except for Shevchenko (£30m).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LARulz:

Prices are over the top in the game, for example Kaka costs over £60 million in the game, when on a game such as Championship Manager 2008 you can get him for a bit more of a realistic price of £32 million </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you say what a 'realistic' price would be for Kaka IRL? It would depend on a number of factors. Assuming Kaka has plenty of time remaining on his contract (3 years or more) I see no reason why Milan would sell him unless it was for a world record fee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

becouse of that the game is totally unrealistic after a few transfer windows, for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so right, after the 1st season:

Silva for 79M Euro to Inter

Raul Gacia 65M Euro to Inter

Denilson 58M Euro to A.C. Milan

Goran Pandev 41M Euro again to Inter.

I play as Arsenal and the offer for denilson was accepted by chairman.

Also in my game a lot of job hopping; Kompany to PSV in 2st season and second to newcastle, PSV only made 1 M euro on the deal same with Diego from Werder to Chelsea to Roma.

I have enough money to spend but I do not like it and start a new game after 2 - 3 seasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikado:

becouse of that the game is totally unrealistic after a few transfer windows, for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are so right, after the 1st season:

Silva for 79M Euro to Inter

Raul Gacia 65M Euro to Inter

Denilson 58M Euro to A.C. Milan

Goran Pandev 41M Euro again to Inter.

I play as Arsenal and the offer for denilson was accepted by chairman.

Also in my game a lot of job hopping; Kompany to PSV in 1st season and in second to newcastle, PSV only made 1 M euro on the deal same with Diego from Werder to Chelsea to Roma.

I have enough money to spend but I do not like it and start a new game after 2 - 3 seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you expect to see players go cheaply?

I mean Mikado , the transfers in your are high because do you think that a team will be willing to let their star players go on the cheap?

No, so expect to see teams pay a lot more than that specific player is worth, it's just happened in my game too, Real Madrid have just signed Vedran Corluka from Man City for £33M, not only that, but they also signed Ricardo Quaresma for £32.5M from Porto.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

How much was he worth originally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know - but defiantly not £28,000,000!

i refuse to pay an over-the-odds price for a player, on FM08 i vowed not to end up mkaing massive ***** signings as i have done before, as it is this season i got Luka Modric for £7m, sold van persie for £20m and i am happy with that business. i wont spend a record transfer fee, under any circumstances

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by llama3:

i refuse to pay an over-the-odds price for a player, on FM08 i vowed not to end up mkaing massive ***** signings as i have done before, as it is this season i got Luka Modric for £7m, sold van persie for £20m and i am happy with that business. i wont spend a record transfer fee, under any circumstances </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif that's the spirit

good job with modric. you can push up his PA slighltly without feeling guilty, he's a god icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

I'd say that's a bad example. I'd be very surprised if Kaka left AC for less than £50mil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've just signed him on a free. Granted he is 32 now but his stats are still pretty decent as a backup player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bridport_james:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

How much was he worth originally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know - but defiantly not £28,000,000! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for the double post. Isn't Gabby worth around £6.5m? Double that IRL icon_wink.gif

Yakubu,

What would you price your player at if you did not want to sell him? Lets say your star defender? 50mill? if someone bids, then i amsure you would sell.

Equally so, when you have money, you do not mind spedinging it. I just spend 60mill trying to get two decent english players.

Supply and demand icon_smile.gif

There will be players that go for prices far far lower than their true value if the team that owns them isnt playing them, so why not the other way round?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lam:

There will be players that go for prices far far lower than their true value if the team that owns them isnt playing them, so why not the other way round? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another good point. It can work in the opposite direction as well, I picked up a 26 year old Nani for 424k and Gourcuff for 1.3m.

I agree that there are a lot of irrational elements in the transfer prices in FM08; here. let me add an extra element into the discussion and see what you make of it.

I've used the editor to turn Spurs into a bit of a super-club. In the first season it was nip 'n' tuck between the Big 5 until the very last matchday. I was edging it, but my board were deeply unhappy since I'd been dumped early out of the League Cup, FA Cup AND EURO Cup by the same team every time - Liverpool. And every time I was scuppered by the same player - Torres.

Leaving the board confidence bug aside, in the close season I decided I really really wanted Torres (nb. Liverpool are not a rival team).

Now here comes the rub: I fired up FMM and saw his Sale Price (i.e. the 'secret' one) at about £60 million. From the prize money for winning the EPL I had that, so I bid. It was rejected. In FMM the sale price had immediately risen to over £100 million.

I left it a week and the sale price was back to £60M. I bid higher - same rejection, same leap to £100M+. Repeat ad nauseum.

So even the hidden stat is manipulated by the AI to up the price to beyond what you can afford. I couldn't test this, but my guess is that if A.N.OTHER had offered the £60M it would have been accepted.

So, what's going on?

IMO i think the transfer system is fairly accurate. When teams do not want to sell a player they put a high value on them. If there are teams out there rich and stupid enough to come in and buy them, then all to the good. Personally i believe it spreasds the wealth a bit more.

I think what does need looking at, is how some managers decide on who to buy. An example of this would be the player mentioned at the begining of this thread.

HOwever, that said, we do not know what motivates a manager to single out a player. As i mentioned previously i just spent 60mill on two decent english players. Now, there is no way someone out there AI or not, would have know that i was desperate to re-instroduce the rare species of 'the englishman' back into the wilds that are 'Tottenham' Sath lundon.

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

I agree that there are a lot of irrational elements in the transfer prices in FM08; here. let me add an extra element into the discussion and see what you make of it.

I've used the editor to turn Spurs into a bit of a super-club. In the first season it was nip 'n' tuck between the Big 5 until the very last matchday. I was edging it, but my board were deeply unhappy since I'd been dumped early out of the League Cup, FA Cup AND EURO Cup by the same team every time - Liverpool. And every time I was scuppered by the same player - Torres.

Leaving the board confidence bug aside, in the close season I decided I really really wanted Torres (nb. Liverpool are not a rival team).

Now here comes the rub: I fired up FMM and saw his Sale Price (i.e. the 'secret' one) at about £60 million. From the prize money for winning the EPL I had that, so I bid. It was rejected. In FMM the sale price had immediately risen to over £100 million.

I left it a week and the sale price was back to £60M. I bid higher - same rejection, same leap to £100M+. Repeat ad nauseum.

So even the hidden stat is manipulated by the AI to up the price to beyond what you can afford. I couldn't test this, but my guess is that if A.N.OTHER had offered the £60M it would have been accepted.

So, what's going on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's your relationship like with Liverpool?

I've noticed the same thing, a German regen striker called Proll was listed with 8.6m asking price, so I bid. Six bids later and it's gradually went up to 14m, yet they have accepted an offer of 8.6m from HSV. I'm Bayern btw and the selling team is Schalke, who are on my rivalries list.

It may have something to do with rivalries, but tbh any team IRL that turns down 60m for any player is mad and I sugegst that if Man Utd came in with 60m for Torres Liverpool wouldn't turn it down IRL, despite the rivalry.

The major irritation for me is valuation, I really don't see the point in it, considering it seems to have little impact on the actual selling price eventually. Surely as asking price goes up, valuation should as well??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> back into the wilds that are 'Tottenham' Sath lundon.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOH !!!!

spot the error.

What i meant to say was 'Norf lundun mate', init.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lam:

IMO i think the transfer system is fairly accurate. When teams do not want to sell a player they put a high value on them. If there are teams out there rich and stupid enough to come in and buy them, then all to the good. Personally i believe it spreasds the wealth a bit more.

I think what does need looking at, is how some managers decide on who to buy. An example of this would be the player mentioned at the begining of this thread.

HOwever, that said, we do not know what motivates a manager to single out a player. As i mentioned previously i just spent 60mill on two decent english players. Now, there is no way someone out there AI or not, would have know that i was desperate to re-instroduce the rare species of 'the englishman' back into the wilds that are 'Tottenham' Sath lundon.

Lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you can see from my posts above, I would tend to agree with you re: the buying club being able to afford over the top amounts. However, it is slightly laughable to see players like Corluka move for £25m, could the selling price and acceptance price not be directly linked to PA and CA, so avoiding huge transfer fees for below average players?

My biggest irritation with the transfer market is with the way bids are accepted/rejected differently for AI-controlled clubs or human clubs.

I was trying to sign Elano for Fiorentina from Man City and was getting quoted all manner of ridiculous transfer fees. Then City accepted £12 million from Lyon and were still quoting £29 million to me if I wanted to sign him icon_mad.gif (funnily enough I didn't want to sign him after that and signed Berbatov instead!)

Yakubu,

What would you price your player at if you did not want to sell him? Lets say your star defender? 50mill? if someone bids, then i amsure you would sell.

Equally so, when you have money, you do not mind spedinging it. I just spend 60mill trying to get two decent english players.

Supply and demand icon_smile.gif

There will be players that go for prices far far lower than their true value if the team that owns them isnt playing them, so why not the other way round.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh but how realistic is that, this is my point (spending £60M on two "decent" english players)?

I'm not talking about world class players -not even great players! Just very good players.

Look at my original post - Season 1

Lassana Diarra for £23M

Verdan Corluka £22M

Vincent Komapny £25M

Lets just think about how much their clubs (in real life) paid for them 6 months ago. Probably under 25% of this new value.

These are just two obvious examples in season 1 there is more!

Sure you have a your best player and you may not want to sell them. However every player has his price and in the real world its not as inflated as in FM.

Take for example Micah Richards at City who is a bright young talent who you may desperately want to keep hold of. Sure if you bid £10M or even £15M the bid would get rejected in real life. But how much after £20M or £25M would you need to go to get him. IMO not much more. In my game City demanded £62M and settled on £45M. Crazy since he isnt even world class.

Ask yourself - how many players in Rea life World football transfer for £25M+ a year? Then look at how many go for that price in FM. You can't pretend prices aren't inflated. Seville paying £34M for Chellini from Juve. I dont think so...

Its supply and demand on steroids!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

My biggest irritation with the transfer market is with the way bids are accepted/rejected differently for AI-controlled clubs or human clubs.

I was trying to sign Elano for Fiorentina from Man City and was getting quoted all manner of ridiculous transfer fees. Then City accepted £12 million from Lyon and were still quoting £29 million to me if I wanted to sign him icon_mad.gif (funnily enough I didn't want to sign him after that and signed Berbatov instead!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's the kind of scenario I'm alluding to with the evidence of the FMM editor.

Nomis07 - I have 0 relationship with Liverpool - no rivalry, no manager interaction.

I did earlier try to tap up an Arsenal youth and he refused on account of our rivalry which was fair enough; the Torres case doesn't fall into that territory.

More: I fiddled FMM to make Torres love me 100%. Result - he disliked his club and manager for blocking the move, but it made no difference to the club rejection of my offers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cypriotsoldier:

On my game, Juventus paid £34.5mill for Robin Van Persie. Class player tho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeh that is believable though cos he is top class and a proven international footballer. Whereas Arsenal selling Rosicky for £26M when he hasnt got the same potential (and is a lot older) as RVP just wouldnt happen

I think the RVP is just as ridiculous as the others. Consider that Thierry Henry cost £16m, Patrick Vieira £16m and £34m for RVP seems insane.

I think we are getting bogged down in the, how much for a "world class" player argument. If you consider how much it actually costs for a truely world class player and compare it to the prices paid for good or very good players;

Thierry Henry £16m compared to Owen Hargreaves £18m

Fernando Torres £24m compared to Shaun Wright Philips £24m

Michael Essien £24m compared to Paulo Ferreira £18m.

"Inflated" transfer fees are part and parcel of world football these days, but the real issue is that the transfer fees are so huge in FM. Forget the fact that the players aren't "World Class", when was the last time a team outside the Premiership paid over £30m for a player??

Paying over the odds for average players seems realistic but in the context of FM it's just how far over the odds it seems to go.

RVP is a bit of a red herring in this argument since he has age on his side.

Also, comparing Torres and SWP is weak because that latter was purchased in the heady early daus of the Roman/Jose empire.

But the main points are as follows:

1. Clearly less-than-world-class players are going for stupid fees, and world class players for fees far higher than is realistic.

2. The AI seems to treat human players and AI managers differently. Now I accept SI's case that there is no differentiation between human and AI in the match engine, but is it really the case when it comes to transfer dealings?

Archived