Players need a new challenge

Nothing much you can do in my experience. One of my key centre-backs at Derby in FM07 decided after 10 years at the club he wanted a new challenge. That was over a year ago and despite me offering him a contract that would more than double his wages as well as other big bonuses he won't sign and still wants to leave icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saware:

Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to appease players that need a new challenge?

I have two key players that now state they need a new challenge and I dont want to lose them, any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's just a "nice way" of saying they don't wanna be at the club anymore.

Getting relegated and trying to regain promotion would be a challenge, but I hardly think they'd be up for that! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rko7:

he went to blackburn and they were fighting relegation at the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thus, he gets his new challenge icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeathSpawn:

in FM i make the rules when choosing my team and my backups are also good players so if anyone from main team is unhappy because they want a new challenge then they can happily rot in reserve team until contract expires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a waste of good potential transfer revenue icon_biggrin.gif

Unfortunately though, when this happens to me, try to help them on their way with for best price I can get for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeathSpawn:

in FM i make the rules when choosing my team and my backups are also good players so if anyone from main team is unhappy because they want a new challenge then they can happily rot in reserve team until contract expires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, if a player had been at my club for five minutes and already wanted a new challenge, I'd be miffed enough to do something like that.

But if he'd given me ten years or more of loyal, committed service, I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to test himself elsewhere. Might still be miffed at losing a class player, though. However, nobody's bigger than the club.

Depends, if you suddenly win a major competition they'll want to stay (depending on what league you are in obviously). They normally don't sign new contracts though so if you don't have a chance of winning anything, I'd just cash in.

Keep trying new contracts though, they may be interested.....

the way to stop it happening in the first place is.....every couple of months check all your players profiles, if it says "may want a new challange in the future" offer him a contract and he will accept and become happy for a while.

If you leave him at "may want a new challange in the future" for to long he will then become permantly unhappy and will not accept a contract and you will lose him.

I know that doesn't help you in this instance but it will help in the future.

In my FM07 game this guy started wanting a new challenge after 6 seasons with us. True, I could have offered him a new contract, but the question is whether the player in question is worth more to you as a nice sum of money in your Transfer Fund or a large sum of money each week on your Expenses spreadsheet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

who are they, and which team are you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For my sins I am in my 3rd season with Man Utd, and the players in question are Foster & Vidic.

I have had success with a double and a treble in previous seasons but surely this doesnt mean that my players want to fight relegation?

While Vidic has been at the centre of defence for several seasons now Foster has only just stepped up to replace Van Der Sar, and was previously regarded as back-up for my team. He has only made 20-odd appearences, and hasnt won anything so far therefore to want a new challenge seems a little strange!

I like signing up 18-20 yr olds on the cheap, sending them to my affiliates for a few years, then gradually introduce them into the 1st team, and they are 1st choice for a few seasons.

Then they get to about 24 and they are just starting to look really good, and then they want to leave.

So I've wasted all that time & effort for another team to benefit from my nurturing, ok I usually make a profit, but I'm running a football club, not a bank!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bad_boy_ray:

the way to stop it happening in the first place is.....every couple of months check all your players profiles, if it says "may want a new challange in the future" offer him a contract and he will accept and become happy for a while.

If you leave him at "may want a new challange in the future" for to long he will then become permantly unhappy and will not accept a contract and you will lose him.

I know that doesn't help you in this instance but it will help in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's all very well, but players in my Derby team who were getting that message generally wanted a £3 million renewal fee to sign a new contract so that gets rather expensive every 6 months!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bad_boy_ray:

I know that doesn't help you in this instance but it will help in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's all very well, but players in my Derby team who were getting that message generally wanted a £3 million renewal fee to sign a new contract so that gets rather expensive every 6 months! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt mind paying the £££s to keep Foster & Vidic, I certainly dont want to fork out over £40m for replacements. While they are not the greatest of players they arent half bad & I try to keep it as realistic as possible.

Currently I am able to offer £125,000 as a basic wage, plus £6.25m signing-on fee as well as £25k each for appearences & goals/clean sheets yet neither will sign new contracts and still want a new challenge.

I have a feeling real life footballers would snap my hand off if I offered them that kind of deal even if they were sat on the bench for the reserves on a cold Decemember evening in Chesterfield!!!

i bought foster straight off the treatment table. he let in a few silly goals in his first three games, we lost one of them, but he played all 38 league games and we just lost the 1. took him about 10 games to keep a clean sheet, but his clean sheets eventually overtook his goals conceded column.

so my advice is to wait it out with foster and do your utmost to keep him happy.

as for vidic, best CB in the game imo, but if he leaves, check how much sergio ramos' release clause is. he didn't want to negotiate with me, so i offered him £125K p/w, like you can, without a yearly rise too, and he signed without a fuss.

I did that on 2007 with Atletico when torres got unhappy, even though he was my best player, i out him the reserves and transfer listed him, and his contract was ending at the end of the season, so it was looking like he was going to leave for free. but then,at the ned of the season, his happiness turned from 'expecting to leave the club in the near future' to, 'determined to prove his worth to the team

Archived