My strikers couldn't finish a can of coke!

Im manager of Manchester United playing on the 9.03 patch first season, i have 3 world class strikers in the form of Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov, the problem is that none of them can score. They all have massive goal droughts and i have to rely on my midfield and defence to score my goals, is there a way to fix this?

How many chances are you creating each game? If you are creating loads, turn your tempo down so you create better chances. If you are not creating many chances, speed up your tempo.

Check out the tactics forum for more detailed help on how your strikers can get more (or better quality) chances

I'm having a similar problem with Fleck (now world class) and Laurito aaaaaand Tafer (not world class)...however, Fleck and Tafer seem to go hot and cold...they wont score for a month then score 5 goals in 2 games...then go cold again...and poor Laurito couldn't score to save his life. The only reason he has a respectable 15 goals last season is I played him as the first striker against all of the poor games and in the cup, so to stop the fans hating him.

I'm having a similar problem with Fleck (now world class) and Laurito aaaaaand Tafer (not world class)...however, Fleck and Tafer seem to go hot and cold...they wont score for a month then score 5 goals in 2 games...then go cold again...and poor Laurito couldn't score to save his life. The only reason he has a respectable 15 goals last season is I played him as the first striker against all of the poor games and in the cup, so to stop the fans hating him.

If you’re a purist and don’t want to know bout the ‘inner workings’ or hidden stats stop reading

Fleck is inconsistent because his virtual self is coded that way. Tactics will never make a difference. The only way to combat this (from other posters on here, not personal experience) is via player interaction (team talks, form comments) but I’m not sure how much of a difference this can make.

Don’t know about the others.

Try playing 4-5-1 with the wingers further up, have the two wingers on swap positions with each other, with ronaldo starting on the right, and someone like ashley young on the left (because I don't think theres many players as good as ashley young for being able to swap sides and being consistant in getting goals and assists, ronaldo will be an exception though), then rooney is the perfect striker for that that formation and him, ronaldo and your other upfront-winger should share the goals between them. I moved to roma in like 2013 and had the same problem, heres the team I play

-----------FW Guiseppe Rossi---------------

AML Ashley young ---------AMR Alexis Sanchez

--------MC Lisi (regen) MC Barreto/Aquilani----

-------------DMC Daniel Di Rossi/Camacho-----

DL Antunes DC Mexes DC N'Koulou DR Zapata--

Won 2 serie A's in a row so far with that formation, and theres actually a formation available in the tactics forum called jose mourinho inter 4-5-1 or something thats nearly the same, but instructions must be different because he seems to not need to score loads because he doesnt concede much (hence jose mourinho in title I guess) whereas I score lots of goals but do concede more (still one of the lowest conceders in the league though), I think it would work pretty well for man united though.

As a lone striker I got Tevez to score 34 goals in 40 games forward runs often, run with ball mixed every thing else rarely. 17 mentality, 13 creative freedom, low closing down. Rooney played as good at AML as he did as a striker for my Barcelona side got a goal every other game, when he playd upfront I had him set as targetman with ball to feet.. I think overall FM09 is the most realistic for strikers scoring rates appart from a few exceptions. FM08 it was too easy for your striker to get at least a goal a game. Try the tactics forum for some help on setting up strikers.

Tevez is a god on my game, he has finished player of year 6 years in a row, top scorer in prem nearly every season, and scoring like 28/30 goals a season on 40 odd games, and all this still at the ripe age of 34. needless to say im not the manager but he is still scoring like a god

The only way to combat this (from other posters on here, not personal experience) is via player interaction (team talks, form comments) but I’m not sure how much of a difference this can make.

I'm pretty sure that it can make a difference.

I had my two first-choice strikers both out of form for an extended period (800, 1000 minutes respectively) and finally, in desperation, had a bit of a go at them.

First, I gave them "Angry" as a post-match team talk.

Then, I gave the Determined one a negative Form comment in the media and dropped him for a game.

The other, I told I was giving a week's rest, and dropped him for two matches.

When they came back, I told the Determined one "I expect a performance", and I told the other "No pressure", with "I have faith" at halftime, two matches in a row.

My Determined guy scored in his first game back; the other broke his duck in his second game back (the fifth game in this sequence, counting the "Angry" post-match as #1).

. . .

The generic advice I'd give is to remember that team-talks, etc, are context sensitive. You may have team-talks solved for when your team is winning, but not for when they are losing. You may have individual team-talks solved for when your striker is on-form, but not for when he's in a goal drought.

Don't keep repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!

Archived