netbook fmers

hey

Just wondering if anyone is playing football manager on a netbook? idealy 07 i'm thinking about getting a netbook but want to get one which will be able to run FM. So i'm just asking if anyone out there has fm running on a netbook and if so how does it run? also any recommendations on decent netbooks?

cheers

luke

Dell Inspiron 1525, runs FM'09 fine. You'll want plenty of memory and as high-end a processor as you can afford.

Note that the game, with the 3D pitch, now consumes quite a bit of graphical processing power; as laptop graphics cards aren't simple swap components the way desktop PCs' are, you'll want to get something beyond the default.

I didn't, and the only problem I've had on mine was occasional overheating (and system shutdown) during a match - basically because I am doing the 3D calculations in system RAM and on the motherboard rather than in a dedicated, specialized graphics card.

I solved that by purchasing an external fan which helps keep things to a manageable temperature.

hey

Just wondering if anyone is playing football manager on a netbook? idealy 07 i'm thinking about getting a netbook but want to get one which will be able to run FM. So i'm just asking if anyone out there has fm running on a netbook and if so how does it run? also any recommendations on decent netbooks?

cheers

luke

With an Eee901 I have CM03.04 working fine, but with a "scrolling" screen... the whole screen doesn't fit on the screen at the same time so you have to scroll down by moving the mouse to the bottom of the page. cm01/02 is the last to support that low a resolution naturally, as far as I know.

I may try out FM08/FM07 later on the netbook. Have to clear some memory out and get out the portable cd drive.

edit: May even try 09. The no cd nature of 09 wiuld be a lot easier. :p

EeePC 901. Free with mobile internet from Orange.

Shockingly, FM09 works... Okay. It's not lightening fast, but it's certainly playable. I've just got it installed (Via steam so no need to mess around with external cd drives)and tried a game. 6 leagues in 3 countries loaded, tried 3D and it... worked. Very juttery, but it played.

Switched the 3d engine off, and the 2d works beautifully. Now its cramped, and i have to move the cursor to the bottom of the screen to move my view down (the resolution is only suppported on this model via "not the whole screen visible at a time") but it works. It works as well as I could have dared hope. :)

edit: Obviously if you can get a slightly bigger screen that natively supports the resolution, and if you can grab 2GB ram rather than 1GB it'll be much smoother. I really need to upgrade mine and throw a memory card in for more hard drive space once I have some cash.

Archived