FM has slowed down all of a sudden

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me. I have been running FM09 (and before that, FM08) totally fine on my laptop since release day. The spped has not been an issue at all. However, for the last few days, speed has become an issue - it takes an age to the mouse to register (like, when I hover over a player's position in the tactics screen) so selecting my team tages ages. Or when I try to click over "filters" in the Player search screen, it again takes a while to react.

Every other programme runs on a good speed, and like I said, FM was fine until the other day. any ideas what may be causing this and what I can do?

FYI - I am just half a season into a new game.

I'd still do a virus and spyware scan to be on the safe side. How many leagues are you running on your game and how long have you been playing it? It might just be that things have slowed down because of the size of your savegame file. Finally can you tell us how much ram you have and what speed your processor is?

I'd still do a virus and spyware scan to be on the safe side. How many leagues are you running on your game and how long have you been playing it? It might just be that things have slowed down because of the size of your savegame file. Finally can you tell us how much ram you have and what speed your processor is?

Am running all English leagues and La Liga. I am only 6 months into a new game (all previous games with same leagues and large database were fine). 2GB Ram and processor in intel core duo 2gb.

The same has happened to me fm was working fine then all of a sudden it takes ages just clicking on a players name or going to the tactics screen but when i play matches it is always quick. I have tried everything posted on footballmanagerwiki and nothing has changed has anyone got any more ideas.

My pc is a AMD Athlon 7850 dual core processer

4gb Ram

Nvidia Geforce 8500GT

Thanks

This is really annoying now everything is quick apart from clicking on a players name or tactic screen which takes about 10-15 seconds each time and is making the game unplayable anybody got some ideas ?

The same has happened to me fm was working fine then all of a sudden it takes ages just clicking on a players name or going to the tactics screen but when i play matches it is always quick. I have tried everything posted on footballmanagerwiki and nothing has changed has anyone got any more ideas.

My pc is a AMD Athlon 7850 dual core processer

4gb Ram

Nvidia Geforce 8500GT

Thanks

You havent said how long you've been playing your current game so it might just be that the game is so big now that everything has slowed down because of the size of the file. But do as I suggest above and look at what other stuff you have running at the same time as fm that can be stopped and this should help speed up the game a bit.

You havent said how long you've been playing your current game so it might just be that the game is so big now that everything has slowed down because of the size of the file. But do as I suggest above and look at what other stuff you have running at the same time as fm that can be stopped and this should help speed up the game a bit.

Coming towards the end of season 3 (may 2011) I am only using firefox and fm

I have the exact same problem, especially when clicking on player profiles (have to wait for multiple seconds). I've installed the game on my work laptop (Windows XP 32-bit SP3) which has far inferior specs to my desktop (which I have build myself about 6 months ago and is running Windows Vista 64-bit SP2) and there the problem does not occur :confused:

I've also noticed that on my desktop the CPU usage sky rockets to 50% on simple queries like this (showing a player profile) but never utilizes both CPUs whether threading is enabled or disabled.

All drivers and all software on my computer is up to date. I've tried using compatibility mode (Windows XP), I've disabled my virus scanner for all FM directories used. I've moved the User data directory to the FM directory (so they are both on the same harddisk), I've tried disabling Threading, I've tried various skins.

It seems to me either FM just doesn't utilize 64-bit or multiple cores correctly. It also seems to perform very poorly on simple database queries.

Since no other software runs as poorly or not at all I don't feel like downgrading to Windows XP 32-bit just so Football Manager 2009 will work properly. And even then it might turn out to be some compatibility issue with one of my computer's components.

For now I've given up and shelfed FM2009 as it just seems to be suffering from severe performance problems due to poor optimization.

Archived