More african leagues

I would like to see the Egyptian League included.

If others could be included too, it would be great. But I think the Egyptian League is the easiest one to research and find info about it.

And Al-Ahly play there. icon_smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

I help Driss out with some African data occasionally. I'm in agreement with you that the research isn't that big an issue (at the moment).

I am confident that if SI were to create the Algeria, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia league for example then people from those countries would decide to help because it would be worth their time and effort. As it stands they don't see the point because if they create players for example the only time they will see them is using retain players.

Please have a read of http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5211026...2044063?r=9272044063 to see just how much we have improved the data over the past couple of months.

That countries like Belarus, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Slovenia are included before the likes of Egypt, Tunisia and Ghana is a huge insult to African football.

SI like to claim that they represent the world game but their claims are false.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by djvandyke:

That countries like Belarus, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Slovenia are included before the likes of Egypt, Tunisia and Ghana is a huge insult to African football.

SI like to claim that they represent the world game but their claims are false. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, I would imagine that the countries that the game is shipped to and sells well in are always going to be prime candidates, regarding playable leagues implemented.

It will always be nice to see more leagues and countries available over time. Give them chance icon14.gif

Stop blaming SI.

If the researchers were available for those leagues, they'd be included by now. However, the researchers are not available, so the leagues aren't there yet.

If researchers don't volunteer, then there will be no additional leagues added for FM09, FM10, FM11, etc, etc.

So, it is not SI's fault. They can only include what they know.

Si is already very good in researching the curent european and south-american leagues, they shouldn' weakenthis aspect by laying more focus on a contintent were clubfootball is not on the same level. The finale of the WC for clubs was between a S-american and an european team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Stop blaming SI.

If the researchers were available for those leagues, they'd be included by now. However, the researchers are not available, so the leagues aren't there yet.

If researchers don't volunteer, then there will be no additional leagues added for FM09, FM10, FM11, etc, etc.

So, it is not SI's fault. They can only include what they know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in many cases the players are already in the database, so it's just a case of fleshing out some of the smaller teams and making the league playable.

they could do this, or they could make the editor capable of designing new leagues without having to replace existing ones.

not sure how you can blame people from the countries in question for not volunteering. if si took steps to make the leagues playable, i'm sure they'd get a better response

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Stop blaming SI.

So, it is not SI's fault. They can only include what they know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, or maybe they could start paying people to do research. They can't be that short of a few bob.

Rather than being a research issue, I think it's more a case of balancing the time/effort required to add a new league against the number of people who SI think will play in that league. Perhaps they don't think there is enough demand for these leagues. Don't forget that adding leagues also increases database size and processing power required so it's not just about the initial research.

More african leagues are however a good idea, especialy Egypt as that is one of the primary leagues in Africa, with teams like Al-Ahly. However the next leagues to add would logically be in South America. Having already added leagues like Peru, Chile and Colombia, I don't think it will be too many years before places like Paraguay and Bolivia appear.

• SI Staff

I don't beleive this to be the case. In my opinion Africa is neglected by SI.

The African Champions League is in the wrong format.

The Confederations Cup was the result of a merge between the Cup Winners Cup and the CAF Cup.

This happened in 2004 and since then the Confederations Cup has remained in game with the wrong format with an incorrect past winners history (it contains another competition's history in addition to its own).

The Confederation Cup competition in game remains with the Cup Winners Cup format and the name still hasn't been changed - four years on! Matches are played on the incorrect weekday (CAF games are only ever played on Friday, Saturday or Sunday).

The African Super Cup final is played in the wrong month and on the wrong weekday.

The African Nations qualifiers are in the 2004 format (there is a qualifying group in game which does not exist in real life).

If these errors were to happen with a UEFA competition people on here would be baying for blood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">African leagues would make them game better, because the Africa teams would produce good youth for Arsenal to steal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean there are actually some African youth players left in Africa?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sad Git:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">African leagues would make them game better, because the Africa teams would produce good youth for Arsenal to steal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean there are actually some African youth players left in Africa? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. They all turn out to be Olympic long distance runners, im sure they could be the next Eto or Drogba, but somehow they think running 1500 metres is a better alternative

Year after year, I ask for more African leagues. As mentioned above, there are enough African internationals in the game to make up the bare bones of several clubs in several nations. The rest can be rated by "guesstimate."

The leagues of several nations that are minor football powers, at best, are already in the game. The number of researchers for some of those nations is quite small, which leads me to believe that quite a bit of "guesstimation" goes on in rating players in those leagues.

Does anybody really believe that some researcher has seen every single player on every single team in FM often enough to rate him accurately???

Approximate ratings for non-top tier player can and should be done for African countries.

The potential number of players who would love to play more African leagues is quite large, certainly larger than the market for some nations already included in the game.

Not everybody who would want to play an African league lives in Africa or is of African descent.

Not everybody of African ancestry who would love to play an African league lives in Africa.

Africa is a lot more than South Africa.

It's long past time for more African leagues to be included in FM.

Nevertheless, it doesn't help to say that SI is neglecting Africa, as someone mentioned, all they need is to add the smaller teams.

But the problem here is, where are the researchers who can write the stats of these players in smaller teams? Surely SI can't just grab stats out of the air and claim that it's correct? Multiple researchers are needed and it doesn't help that African games are rarely shown outside of Africa.

So it all boils down to 2 points.

1) Lack of researchers.

2) If anyone is neglecting African football, it's the world.

• SI Staff

Passer-by, it seems to be catch 22. SI don't want to add more leagues without research and the African researcher can't find more researchers without an active playable league.

There is absolutely no reason why the African continental competitions in game have remained the same since the 2003-2004 season.

Asia has the Olympic qualifiers fully playable and under 17 and under 20 youth championship history in the game, Africa doesn't. They should be in there for Africa too.

Because of this neglect, people who could potentially be researchers are put off because they don't think that it is worth their while as there is no end product.

Certain people forget that the researcher is a voluntary service for both SI and the customers, they use their own free time and effort and try to ensure that the game is of a high standard. The sole benefit of being a researcher is a free copy of the game (which was selling for £5 in PC world this week, this begs the question; does a free £5 game make it worth spending all of those hours refining data - only to be told that it is completely wrong because someone saw him on the youtube once).

• SI Staff

Sorry I don't understand your argument (if it was one), what has that got to do with having more than one African country's league playable in the game?

The likes of Algeria, Egypt, Morrocco and Tunisia are better supported than the Asian leagues with the exception of Japan, South Korea and maybe China.

To be honest when you spend as much time playing with the data as I do you get to see the true picture of what is actually there.

African Data - Pretty much spot on for a) the limited people involved and b) the limited coverage it gets.

South American - there's a few places where there's neglected data but on the whole pretty sound.

Asia - see above

North America - Al does a grand job

Central America - Never notice it, which in my book means it's a good thing icon_wink.gif

Europe - Europe would be the perfect continent if they threw the Finish and Turkish data out completely - by god does it suck in so many ways.

so to summarise - Boot out the likes of Turkey, Finland, Bolivia, South Korea and throw in more African leagues and my data updates would become a whole lot easier!!

Some people who post here have no clue.

First of all I saw someone saying researchers should get paid...they do. I am not sure if all do but the ones that are in charge of a whole country's research do.

Next thing someone said that the problem is not SI but the researchers. Thats wrong also. SI dont want to waste there programmer's time on making new leagues playable unless there is enough interest in them. This includes lower divisions in countries.

Last thing people are saying Egypt and other African leagues should be in ahead of India and Indonesian leagues. Maybe in terms of the quality of the league but SI are looking at what leagues there is most interest in and where they could make more money. India has 1 billion people and Indonesia has a enormous population as well and in Indonesia I believe its there national sport. So they get more sales by including those leagues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Q2thaz:

To be honest when you spend as much time playing with the data as I do you get to see the true picture of what is actually there.

African Data - Pretty much spot on for a) the limited people involved and b) the limited coverage it gets.

South American - there's a few places where there's neglected data but on the whole pretty sound.

Asia - see above

Central America - Never notice it, which in my book means it's a good thing icon_wink.gif

Europe - Europe would be the perfect continent if they threw the Finish and Turkish data out completely - by god does it suck in so many ways.

so to summarise - Boot out the likes of Turkey, Finland, Bolivia, South Korea and throw in more African leagues and my data updates would become a whole lot easier!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turkey and South Korea? Surely not! 2 in every 5 threads would be about their leagues disappearing.

Stop blaming SI.

love it when people make bold statements like this. how do you know? maybe they never advertised for researchers from those countries...and they do as i just read an ad looking for researchers for couple of english clubs.

FM series is mainly developed for european and english speaking countries or at least with the ability to speak some form of english.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Passer-by:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Q2thaz:

Asia - see above

so to summarise - Boot out the likes of Turkey, Finland, Bolivia, South Korea and throw in more African leagues and my data updates would become a whole lot easier!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Turkey and South Korea? Surely not! 2 in every 5 threads would be about their leagues disappearing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was basing it on current data, not popularity icon_wink.gif

Last year there were plenty of queries in regard to leagues people had edited and researched themselves.

People had done updates for Egypt, Jordan, Jamaica, Cuba, Bosnia and I'm sure there was Ghana or Tunisia as well. Changing match days, competitions, etc.

The big question was that if people had pulled the effort to do that much work, why couldn't SI include an update for the following year based on what these people had done?

As far as I know isn't Bosnia and/or Macedonia going to be added to FM09? I'm sure that's what the people who did the update for FM07 said.

If their update's making a future game why not the other leagues people made?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nostromo:

maybe they never advertised for researchers from those countries...and they do as i just read an ad looking for researchers for couple of english clubs.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting point, I've never seen a post on SI explicitly asking for people to assist the head researchers with data.

• SI Staff

Somebody called Amr Fekry created another Egyptian patch based on mine. He's added clubs and hundreds of players.

http://www.fmafrica.net/index.php?topic=128.0

He's a little biased towards the reputation of the Egyptian league (he gave it a 15, thats more than the African Nations cup!) and some kits are incorrect but other than that it's good.

personally i think SI should forget about african leagues for now and concentrate 100% on getting what we have already, right.

Maybe start talking about expanding the game when the one we already have is working properly,then,maybe think about expanding?

im not having a pop at SI as im enjoying another version of FM. icon14.gif

• SI Staff

My fellow bluenose - are you suggesting that the WPL and Scot's third division are of a higher standard than the domestic leagues of Algeria, Egypt, and Tunsia's etc?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Lou:

Somebody called Amr Fekry created another Egyptian patch based on mine. He's added clubs and hundreds of players.

http://www.fmafrica.net/index.php?topic=128.0

He's a little biased towards the reputation of the Egyptian league (he gave it a 15, thats more than the African Nations cup!) and some kits are incorrect but other than that it's good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blue Lou -- Are you using this Egyptian patch? Is it legit? Any problems? No viruses?

It looks interesting, but am very careful about downloading things from sources I don't know very well.

• SI Staff

Antonin, it is legit. I checked it out icon_smile.gif

It's based on the Egyptian league patch I made a while ago but he has updated transfers and created real teams (some kit colours are wrong but that's the only gripe I have with it!)

Snowblind - in the editor's hideaway there is an Egypt / Tunisia patch that I made ready to download.

Thanks Blue Lou! I will download it and see what's what.

I assume this is a patch for FM08? I had stopped playing WSM 2008, but maybe for a chance to play in Egypt I will give it a go once again.

My usual practice is to have the leagues of perhaps 2 neighboring countries active, such as Germany and Austria, so I can seek career options in both.

Is it possible to run Egypt and South Africa at the same time, and recruit players from both?

I'll do a search for this, but I wonder if there is a single thread for African patches for other FM versions (05, 06, 07...).

Also, would African patches for FM work in WSM?

Archived