Why are 19 Year Olds Retiring?

I just dont get why theres so many youngsters who have retirement dates set? One guy here is 19 years old, he's french plays for his country, is infact the captain of Wallis & Futuna Islands, yet he's retiring.

Can anybody explain why, it doesn't make sense.

It's realistic for young players who are never going to make it to quit football at 19, but far too many talented players retire far too early. I'm playing in Finland and Inter were dominating at one stage, mainly thanks to this Czech striker they'd signed called Jiri Jeslinek. He was ripping apart every team, finished top scorer, won player of the year etc.

He refused to sign a new deal as he (understandably considering his ability) wanted to move to a bigger club and play in a better league. So he became a free agent, and 6 months later aged 24 he announced his retirement because no AI team wanted him, or he kept refusing contracts.

I remember on FM2007 whilst playing in Norway trying to sign this brilliant 18 year old striker from Finland who had 7 star potential. He was a free agent, but turned down a deal worth over £1000 a week and retired. What other job did he have lined up that was better paid than that?

An part of the game that needs fixing for FM2010.

They are youngsters who chose football as their careers and couldn't find clubs. Captain of Wallis & Futana is not really something that captivates Sir Alex's attention.

Plenty of youngsters, not just in Wallis & Futana, sometimes choose to simply not play football any more.

this is a problem i see many times which SI may need to fix, i often have a look at countries which are not "Incredibly good" and see if i can find some rare talent without clubs, i'll come across a few which are pretty good so ill decide to shortlist them, when i do fancy signing them, they wont join or fail to obtain a work permit and retire, i think it would be better if they just greyed out or leave for a home country club (if there are any!)

I remember on FM2007 whilst playing in Norway trying to sign this brilliant 18 year old striker from Finland who had 7 star potential. He was a free agent, but turned down a deal worth over £1000 a week and retired. What other job did he have lined up that was better paid than that?

You should try offering him a trial first then.

Archived