[FM09] "I am the Walrus" - A Liverpool Career

weeeman27bob

Patch: Started on 9.2 now on 9.3

Leagues: England ( Championship and above), Spain (La Liga), Germany (First Division)

Database size: Medium

Right, a little bit of background and information before I start. The title comes of course from the famous Beatles song, the famous sons of Liverpool, but I am not in fact the rather large creature but a normal person.

I started this game a while ago, but haven't got round to playing it much. The creation of this forum seems a good means to restart it.

I'll be going into quite a lot of detail, so it wouldn't be right for the Liverpool thread, and yet it wouldn't fit in the stories forum.

So, here we go!

Season 08/09

Transfers

transfers.jpg

Premiership: 4th

Champions League: Winners ( v Barcelona)

FA Cup: 3rd round (v Birmingham)

League Cup: Quarter Finals (v Man Utd)

League Table

leagu08.jpg

Chelsea walked it and we finished a disappointing 4th.

Season Review

Apart from great success in Europe, a very poor season. Some good players brought in, mostly for the future. I hoped we could get somewhere the next season.

Top Scorer

Fernando Torres - 20 goals

Season 09/10

Transfers

tanserrrrs.jpgw640.png

Concentrated on improving some of the weaker areas of the squad. But I love Aguero (probably in that way too!) and so I had to have him.

League: 1st

Champions League: Semi Finals (v. Arsenal)

FA Cup: Semi Finals: (v. Portsmouth)

League Cup: Winners: (v. Everton)

World Club Champ.: Winners (v. América)

European Super Cup: Winners (v. Dinamo Kiev)

League Table

league09.jpgw640.png

Overview

A much better season. Four trophies in all, but only one major one. The next task will be to try and win a double of major trophies and to start to dominate the Premiership.

Top Scorer

Fernando Torres - 17

Torres 20 and 17!!

Thats whats wrong!! :)

What on earth are you doing with that goalmachine thats is called your third transfer in your first season???????

Indeed.

Here are their season by season stats.

08/09

Torres: 35 games, 20 goals, 7 assists

Vagner Love: 26 games, 10 goals, 6 assists

09/10

Torres: 28 games, 17 goals, 8 assists

Vagner Love: 21 games, 8 goals, 3 assists

Aguero: 30 games, 16 goals, 8 assists.

So indeed much room for improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, don't think I've let this die, I've just been away for the last week.

The team

Goal keepers

Pepe Reina - First Choice for the last two seasons. Been good if not outstanding.

No real backup for him though has lead to the purchase of

Angelo Garay who looks a very exciting prospect and will rotate with Reina this season.

Centre Backs

Fredrico Fazio and Jamie Carragher are likely to be the main pairing in the centre of defence. With Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel as back up, things look very strong indeed.

Full Backs

The left side of defence looks very strong. Emiliano Insua and Joe Mattock, both extremely good prospects, compete for the left back spot.

The right is rather weaker and probably needs developing. Alvaro Arbeloa and the injury prone Philipp Degen are the only two choices.

Centre Midfielders.

The centre of the park is one of the strongest areas of the team. Captain Steven Gerrard will usually take the more attacking role. That leaves Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso and the rapidly developing Ignacio Camacho to fight it out for the other role.

Wingers

The wings are a shade weaker, but certainly shouldn't be sniffed at. Marquinhos is a wizard on the right flank, and can also play on the other wing. Albert Riera and Ryan Babel share the duties on the left. Backup comes in the form of John Fleck and Karl Barret who has lots of potential.

Strikers

Probably the strongest area of the team. Fernando Torres, Vagner Love and Sergio Aguero should be the most potent strike force in the league. I plan to rotate them this season, giving them two games then a game off.

If one gets badly injured, the policy can still be continued with Moises Duarte becoming the third striker. Duarte, picked up on the cheap, looks like he could become very good.

Preseason

Transfers

My Assistant suggested I needed a new Left winger, but I'm quite happy with Riera there for the time being. Instead I chose to spend money on a new Goalkeeper, Angelo Garay, and on a new right back.

There aren't millions of great right backs out there, so they come at a premium. I ended up paying nearly £30 million to bring in César Azpilicueta, but he is outstanding for a 20 year old and looks set to stay for a long time.

Friendlies

Our Friendlies weren't too challenging, and I'd have been disappointed if we came out with anything other than a 100% record.

FC Nantes (a)

Goals from Aguero and Camacho either side of halftime gave us a well earned victory in a comfortable game.

Excelsior (a)

We went into the break six goals up thanks to one apiece from Camacho and Gerrard, and braces from Marquinhos and Vagner Love. Torres blasted everyone away in the second half scoring four times in twenty eight minutes. Further goals from Camacho and Fleck secured an impressive 12-0 Victory

VVV (a)

Torres obviously thought he hadn't scored enough in the last game, as he slotted two goals in before half time. Goals from Vagner Love, Gerrard (x2), Reira and Marquinhos secured a thumping 7-0 win.

NAC Breda (a)

All the big guns scored in this game, with Aguero netting a classy hattrick to give us an easy 7-0 victory.

Sparta (a)

A brace from Vagner Love was supported by goals from Marquihos and Torres to see us home in style.

New England (a)

A much tighter game than any of the others so far, but two cracking finishes from Reira and Aguero gave us the win.

Other News

I applied for the Argentina national team job, but didn't get the post

Reds cruise to Community Shield win

The Community Shield is not normally considered an important trophy, but anything other than a win for Liverpool manager Weeman Riley would have been a crisis considering they were playing inferior Portsmouth.

Liverpool came out with all guns blazing, and after Sergio Aguero scored in 23rd minutes it was effectively over for the team from the south coast. His mazy run was followed ten minutes later by a powerful finish from the edge of the box by Vagner Love.

The Merseyside team continued to dominate but couldn't get the ball in the back of the net again. That was until in injury time when Moises Duarte, Liverpools youngest ever player by one day, snuck in at the back post to convert John Fleck's cross. A goal on debut capped an impressive debut for the young striker. Would it be too much to assume he may become one of the world's greats? At this stage, probably so, but in the future, who knows.

Final Score: Liverpool 3 - 0 Portsmouth

MOTM: Sergio Aguero

Liverpool make hard work of Baggies

First games of the season don't get much easier than West Brom at home, but that didn't stop Liverpool making hard work of it.

The first goal came after near on thirty minutes, and boy it was one to remember. Aguero picked up the ball from inside his own half and beat six men on a carzy run, before calmly slotting past the keeper from inside the six yard box. It was a truly unbelievable goal.

Three minutes later he popped up again, this time poking the ball past Scott Carson at the far post after Camacho's free kick. All seemed to be going well for the Reds but when Ishmael Miller powered a shot into the Liverpool goal after a ball which eliminated the Liverpool defence. West Brom continued to fight back against a now uneasy defence. It was not to be though, as the defence held up well. When Leon Barnett was sent of for picking up a second yellow, it was clear that the points were staying with the home team.

Final Score: Liverpool 2 - 1 West Brom

Amazing Aguero

Sergio Aguero may have scored three goals in two games before this game, but he still hadn't hit his best form. The Stadium of Light would be wowed by his skills today.

A classic turn and shot from just inside the box buried itself in the far corner of the net, past the despairing dive of Craig Gordon, have him his first of the game. The second came after some tight control after a corner was sent low to the near post. The ball seemed to stick to his foot as he dragged it away from the defenders before passing it into the net.

He wasn't done there though. Just five minutes after half time, he headed home Insúa's corner to give him his hattrick in only 36 minutes. The crowd though were left wondering what might have been when Agureo had to go of injured in the 59th minute.

His departure seemed to give hope to Sunderland. Some sloppy defending left Jones to score a very route one goal after a goal kick. Vagner Love hit one back after a scrappy ping pong in the box. It was then left to Halford to slot in an easy finish.

Final Score: Sunderland 2 - 4 Liverpool

Liverpool win controversial victory over United

Liverpool won one of the most anticipated games of the first month as Manchester United traveled to Anfield to take on the reigning champions.

A goalless first half didn't lack excitement as both teams piled the pressure on, hoping to be the first to break though. There were no surprises who the first scorer of the game was. Some good build up play down the left gave Marquinhos the chance to cross. His low centre was met by Aguero who volleyed home at the near post to open the scoring.

Man United weren't going to give up though and after a corner was poorly dealt with Carlos Tevez managed to get a foot in to sneak it home. The game was nearly in injury time when Marquinhos again found himself space to cross. He sent the ball, for a second time, towards Aguero. Anderson, eager for there not to be a repeat of the first goal, got stuck in, but to his dismay was blown up for a foul. Penalty. Young Marquinhos stepped up to take it, and powered it past Van der Sar in the Man United goal to give Liverpool the win.

Final Score: Liverpool 2 - 1 Man Utd

MOTM: Marquinhos

Archived