+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 7061

Thread: FM Careers Forum Discussion

Semi Pro

I've added the group too .

Why don't you pick a club close to your heart DazRTaylor and see how far you can take them...a one club kind of save?

Semi Pro
    Best FMCU Fountain of Youth Career 2011, Minecraft username: aparke1

The search function seems to be a bit dodgy because I tried searching for you crouchy but it couldn't find you. Accepted your friend request now though

Third Team

I think I've added pretty much everyone in the group. Are we going to use the chat function?

Amateur

I've joined the group

Reserves

Ugh. Steam talk. The reason I don't own FM12 (and by the looks of things, never a future FM either)

Daz, are you getting tired of your career game?

I always have great fun building up a complete nobody side and see where I can take them, but that isn't for everybody. Most seem to enjoy the more typical career paths, where you move on every few years. The great thing about trying to take a small club upwards and onwards, for me, is that it usually takes a long time before you get anywhere, so there are many small targets you can have along the way.

Then again, maybe you play FM a bit like I do. Massive playing for weeks or even months on end, then I get completely fed up and need a few months off. If you're in a period like that there is probably only one thing to do; take a break.

Or I suppose you can start a new game somewhere you have never played before. Learning a new league can be fun. Most of us are probably based in Europe, so trying a game somewhere else might re-kindle the love.

On downloaded files, there is only one file I will ever try and that is the England down to level 8 by uncle ron. I've not tried it for FM12 for the above reason, but it works like a charm for FM10, and given uncle ron has worked on it for 3 versions now I'm sure it is just as stable on FM12. It's a great file, and bringing up a club from that level is fun. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried it before.

Semi Pro

I'll try and design a profile picture for the group, that's my area, my only area in fact! Does it have to be a certain size? Pixel wise.

My profile name is HotChocolate, I'll try and get people added now. Will join the group as well.

I wouldn't mind being an administrator either, if that's okay of course.
    Last edited by HotChocolate; 03-01-2012 at 01:41.

Third Team

Sounds good. I'm in the group chat all night if anyone's bored

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    Sounds good. I'm in the group chat all night if anyone's bored
    I'd love to, but I'm not bored: Watching Best of Glastonbury 2011, Beyonce's just come on, sorted ;)

Happy newyear guys.

Semi Pro

Sounds like its all going well Steam chat isn't that bad, there are far worse things that have been invented (I am looking and you MSN)

Youth Team

Just joined the Steam group, my name on there is Mr Derp, anyone who wants to inanely ramble at me on chat or have me inanely ramble at you feel free to add me to your friends list!

Going back to the books discussion, I didn't get any football books for Xmas (although what I did get was all excellent, so big my friends and family), but I did get the Steve Jobs biography which is an interesting read thus far. Whatever your loyalties regarding Apple/PC/whatever, he's had a very interesting life and you also get a feel for the development of the industry through the book. It's also certainly not blindly reverential, which could easily have happened with a weaker author, so I'd definitely recommend it.

I did, however, get my next maintenance grant from the lovely chaps at the EPSRC on 30th December so I'll be heading over to Amazon to order Inverting, Calcio, and Wilson's Clough book right now! Probably shouldn't go any further than that yet, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard at the moment so that lot will definitely keep me going. Plus I'm only halfway through Keith Richards' book as well which I started last Xmas - I'm usually pretty prolific at reading!

As for FM I've not played a lot recently as I've gotten into Skyrim. Also getting a bit bored with Arsenal to be honest so might have to make a move at the end of the season to freshen things up, despite my intention to fulfill my contract.

Semi Pro

Skyrim, your degrees worst enemy

Reserves

Keith Richards. Now there's a book I'd like to read. Apparently the book has P-ed off Jagger something unreal. Shame if they don't play again, but there must be some interesting stuff in there. How those people are still alive is a mystery.

Youth Team

I'm pretty sure he's somehow mummified/pickled himself whilst retaining motor function.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    Ugh. Steam talk. The reason I don't own FM12 (and by the looks of things, never a future FM either)
    I used to be the same about Steam, Pangaea, but I don't mind it now.

When I installed FM09 using it, I had a bad experience and wouldn't touch it again for a while. But last year, I tried putting FM10 on it when I got my new computer, and found the experience was quite different to the first time I had used it.

There are a few things I quite like about it now, to be honest. Maybe you'll come around eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post
    I'll try and design a profile picture for the group, that's my area, my only area in fact! Does it have to be a certain size? Pixel wise.

My profile name is HotChocolate, I'll try and get people added now. Will join the group as well.

I wouldn't mind being an administrator either, if that's okay of course.
    Nice one HotChocolate. Post the image up here so we can check it out.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    Just joined the Steam group, my name on there is Mr Derp, anyone who wants to inanely ramble at me on chat or have me inanely ramble at you feel free to add me to your friends list!
    Mr Derp.

I did, however, get my next maintenance grant from the lovely chaps at the EPSRC on 30th December so I'll be heading over to Amazon to order Inverting, Calcio, and Wilson's Clough book right now! Probably shouldn't go any further than that yet, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard at the moment so that lot will definitely keep me going.
    Yes, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard too. BTW, great choice in the three books you are going to order!

As for FM I've not played a lot recently as I've gotten into Skyrim. Also getting a bit bored with Arsenal to be honest so might have to make a move at the end of the season to freshen things up, despite my intention to fulfill my contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamers View Post
    Skyrim, your degrees worst enemy
    I thought that was FM?

How is Skyrim? I'll probably wait until it comes down in price at some point in the distant future. I'd like to try it though.

Right now, I want to get some more FM time on FM12 under my belt. I have a real desire to play right now and have been thinking of tactics etc.!

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    I used to be the same about Steam, Pangaea, but I don't mind it now.

When I installed FM09 using it, I had a bad experience and wouldn't touch it again for a while. But last year, I tried putting FM10 on it when I got my new computer, and found the experience was quite different to the first time I had used it.

There are a few things I quite like about it now, to be honest. Maybe you'll come around eventually?
    Zero chance of that I think. Steam is way too much of a drag to have installed on my computer, and I hate the thought behind it and implementation of it. And what it does to the gaming industry. But as long as I'm enjoying FM10 I'm quite fine with not buying future FM games. Hopefully SI change their stance at some point in the future though.

First Team Squad Member

How is Skyrim? I'll probably wait until it comes down in price at some point in the distant future. I'd like to try it though.

Right now, I want to get some more FM time on FM12 under my belt. I have a real desire to play right now and have been thinking of tactics etc.!
    Skyrim is just about the best console game I have ever played, totally brilliant but not without it's faults.

Youth Team

Mr Derp.
    Also my Xbox Live name! And a bit of a nickname with one group of friends.

Yes, I'm an issue behind on The Blizzard too. BTW, great choice in the three books you are going to order!
    Well I've heard good reviews on all of them, from people on here as well as others I've spoken to. I have a feeling I may have gone a bit OTT though:

Code:
    Items Ordered Price 1 of: The Miracle of Castel di Sangro [Paperback] 
    By: Joe McGinniss
    Condition: New
    Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
    £9.41
    - 1 item(s) Gift options: None  
      1 of: Brian Clough: Nobody Ever Says Thank You: The Biography [Hardcover] 
    By: Jonathan Wilson
    £8.00
      1 of: Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics: A History of Football Tactics [Paperback] 
    £5.66
      1 of: A Season With Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusions, National Character and Goals [Paperback] 
    By: Tim Parks
    £5.49
      1 of: Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football [Paperback] 
    £5.73

I thought that was FM?

I'm really enjoying it, I know you're not much of a gamer other than Minecraft and FM but I think you would probably enjoy it as well!

Semi Pro

For PC the menu system is clunky (its based around a console so it's as good as it could be) but it's good. I nabbed it in the sale for £24 which is a bargain! If you want to see if you like the style get Oblivion, slightly better menu system (once you understand it!) and similar gameplay

Youth Team

Zero chance of that I think. Steam is way too much of a drag to have installed on my computer, and I hate the thought behind it and implementation of it. And what it does to the gaming industry. But as long as I'm enjoying FM10 I'm quite fine with not buying future FM games. Hopefully SI change their stance at some point in the future though.
    What it does to the gaming industry in terms of what?

It used to be quite rubbish but now it's a very well implemented IMO. Probably the best digital download based shop I've used (although I've admittedly not used many), the Xmas sale they just had has massively bulked out my PC game collection, and they're good (as far as I know) for indie developers in terms of offering a relatively cheap distribution platform. Also fewer physical copies of games is better for the environment of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    Skyrim is just about the best console game I have ever played, totally brilliant but not without it's faults.
    You got it on console? I've heard there's a few bugs that the PC version doesn't suffer from. With a game like that (same with the Fallout games for instance) I also like to get the PC version in order to have access to the command console to get around any bugs, and to be able to use third party mods if I want.

Youth Team

For PC the menu system is clunky (its based around a console so it's as good as it could be) but it's good. I nabbed it in the sale for £24 which is a bargain! If you want to see if you like the style get Oblivion, slightly better menu system (once you understand it!) and similar gameplay
    For me it's the opposite, Oblivion's menu system confused the hell out of me (no tooltips for buttons with obscure logos which all look quite similar?!). I also got it on sale.

Us

First Team Squad Member

You got it on console? I've heard there's a few bugs that the PC version doesn't suffer from. With a game like that (same with the Fallout games for instance) I also like to get the PC version in order to have access to the command console to get around any bugs, and to be able to use third party mods if I want.
    I got it on the ps3 first but the frame rate issues stopped me playing it after 50 hours. My mate works at a video game store and gets money off games so I traded it in and got him to buy it on the 360 for me. I have played for 60 hours and there has only been one bug with a daedric shrine mission not starting up apart from that I have not encountered a single bug that stops me playing.

The in game map is awful on Skyrim, I prefer the Oblivion map easier to see where you are going and how to get there.

Youth Team

The in game map is awful on Skyrim, I prefer the Oblivion map easier to see where you are going and how to get there.
    Again I find the complete opposite! Completely didn't understand the Oblivion map, whereas the Skyrim map is fine for me.

Good to hear it works well on the 360, one of my friends has it on that and was worried he was gunna run into trouble.

First Team Squad Member

Well I've heard good reviews on all of them, from people on here as well as others I've spoken to. I have a feeling I may have gone a bit OTT though

Great choices though. I mean, you are going to love every one of those books. They would all make my top 10 football books of all time, I think, although I haven't read the Clough book yet!

But did you miss off Calcio by accident? I thought you were ordering that one?

I'm really enjoying it, I know you're not much of a gamer other than Minecraft and FM but I think you would probably enjoy it as well!
    I'll wait until it gets cheaper and then give it a go. My mission now is to get into an FM12 save, so that's going to be my main time sink for now. I don't need another one atm!

Youth Team

Great choices though. I mean, you are going to love every one of those books. They would all make my top 10 football books of all time, I think, although I haven't read the Clough book yet!

But did you miss off Calcio by accident? I thought you were ordering that one?
    Good spot, I thought there was something missing! I even found it, thought I'd added it to the cart but obviously didn't. Here we go:

Code:
    Items Ordered Price 1 of: Calcio: A History of Italian Football [Paperback] 
    By: John Foot
    £6.99
    I'll wait until it gets cheaper and then give it a go. My mission now is to get into an FM12 save, so that's going to be my main time sink for now. I don't need another one atm!
    Sounds like a good plan, the forum's been missing a good crouchy thread!

First Team Squad Member

Yeah, will probably try that first. But for now, FM and Minecraft is enough of a time sink, plus I bought a bunch of cheap games in the Steam sales.

It used to be quite rubbish but now it's a very well implemented IMO. Probably the best digital download based shop I've used (although I've admittedly not used many), the Xmas sale they just had has massively bulked out my PC game collection, and they're good (as far as I know) for indie developers in terms of offering a relatively cheap distribution platform. Also fewer physical copies of games is better for the environment of course.
    I have to agree with this. My opinion massively improved when I tried it again more recently after my bad experience with FM09 on Steam.

I don't really know all of the counter arguments against Steam, although I know I originally found it invasive, annoying and resented having to install it. These days, however, it seems much better and I actually like having my games categorised on there, plus the ease of downloading patches etc. I've become a fan, especially since picking up a number of very cheap bargains in the Steam sale.

I'm a PC gamer fwiw. I'm not into consoles at all. Much prefer playing on a PC.

SnakeXe, I notice the Steam sale also bulked out your PC games collection. Same here! What bargains did you get in the sale?

Youth Team

I have to agree with this. My opinion massively improved when I tried it again more recently after my bad experience with FM09 on Steam.

I don't really know all of the counter arguments against Steam, although I know I originally found it invasive, annoying and resented having to install it. These days, however, it seems much better and I actually like having my games categorised on there, plus the ease of downloading patches etc. I've become a fan, especially since picking up a number of very cheap bargains in the Steam sale.

I'm a PC gamer fwiw. I'm not into consoles at all. Much prefer playing on a PC.

SnakeXe, I notice the Steam sale also bulked out your PC games collection. Same here! What bargains did you get in the sale?
    I went a bit crazy:

Bastion
    Bioshock 1 and 2
    Dead Space 1 and 2
    Demolition Inc.
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Fallout 3 (+ all DLC)
    Fallout: New Vegas (+ all DLC)
    From Dust
    Frozen Synapse
    Green Corp
    Heroes V Pack
    Homefront
    id Software Pack (inc. all Doom and Quake games plus Rage and a few others)
    Lego Batman
    Limbo
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    Portal 2
    Prototype
    Red Alert 3
    Skyrim
    Super Meat Boy
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tomb Raider Pack (inc. Legend, Underworld, Anniversary and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light)

I think apart from Skyrim and the id Pack they were all under £5.

Skyrim, and the two Fallout games alone will probably last me all year! Don't know what I was thinking (that's a lie actually, I was thinking "Wow I'm getting all these games I've wanted for ages for basically nothing"), but I've vowed to myself I won't buy another game other than FM13 until I've played all of them to completion or as good as.

First Team Squad Member

I smiled when I saw your list SnakeXe because I did pretty much the exact same thing. I have also vowed not to buy another game now until either the next FM or the next Steam Xmas sale!

My list is of a very similar size and went something like this:
    And Yet it Moves
    Back to the Future
    Bastion
    Garry's mod
    LIMBO
    Machinarium
    Portal
    Portal 2
    Sherlock Holmes collection
    SimCity 4 Deluxe
    Solar 2
    Sonic Generations
    Super Meat Boy
    Train Simulator
    Universe Sandbox

As you can see, I'm mostly into strategy, simulation, puzzle and sandbox types of games.

I'm pleased with most of these although I know that I went a bit crazy. I got a few more £2ish games that I can't recall now. Everything I got was extremely cheap though.

I think the Portal bundle was my best deal (although I was surprised by the quality of some of the very cheap indie games I got). I completed the original Portal just the other day, which I wanted to play before starting the new one. I thoroughly enjoyed it and more than I thought I would so I'm really looking forward to playing Portal 2 now.

The most mental game that I bought in the sale was Train Simulator, which I have no idea why or even how I bought it! It's fair to say that I had a fair bit to drink on the night when it was on sale and woke up with it and the Back to the Future game on my Steam account!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 03-01-2012 at 13:11.

Youth Team

Haha I was slightly tempted by Train Simulator I have to say! I used to love steam locomotives when I was younger, and my Grandad was a big fanatic - one year his birthday present was to drive one, which he absolutely loved.

Bizarrely considering I bought so many I don't think a single one of those was just bought on a whim, I'd either seen a good review, heard good things from friends, or (in the case of Duke Nukem, because noone gave that a good review) just wanted them for a while.

First Team Squad Member

Universe Sandbox looks interesting.

First Team Squad Member

Haha I was slightly tempted by Train Simulator I have to say! I used to love steam locomotives when I was younger, and my Grandad was a big fanatic - one year his birthday present was to drive one, which he absolutely loved.
    I'll let you know what it's like when I get around to trying it!

Bizarrely considering I bought so many I don't think a single one of those was just bought on a whim, I'd either seen a good review, heard good things from friends, or (in the case of Duke Nukem, because noone gave that a good review) just wanted them for a while.
    Train simulator was the only thing I bought on a (drunken) whim. The rest, I either played a demo, read a review, or watched a YouTube video.

AcidBurn - I love Universe Sandbox. That's totally my sort of thing. I've played with it briefly and it's really interesting, although I haven't got fully to grips with what you can do yet. I've mainly just tried out a few experiments in order to wreak havoc on our solar system.

Semi Pro

I only got Skyim, FM12 and Prototype

First Team Squad Member

Yeah but you've already got about a million games on Steam, Flamers!

Reserves

I went a bit crazy:

Bastion
    Bioshock 1 and 2
    Dead Space 1 and 2
    Demolition Inc.
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Fallout 3 (+ all DLC)
    Fallout: New Vegas (+ all DLC)
    From Dust
    Frozen Synapse
    Green Corp
    Heroes V Pack
    Homefront
    id Software Pack (inc. all Doom and Quake games plus Rage and a few others)
    Lego Batman
    Limbo
    Mass Effect 1 and 2
    Portal 2
    Prototype
    Red Alert 3
    Skyrim
    Super Meat Boy
    Thief: Deadly Shadows
    Tomb Raider Pack (inc. Legend, Underworld, Anniversary and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light)

I think apart from Skyrim and the id Pack they were all under £5.

Skyrim, and the two Fallout games alone will probably last me all year! Don't know what I was thinking (that's a lie actually, I was thinking "Wow I'm getting all these games I've wanted for ages for basically nothing"), but I've vowed to myself I won't buy another game other than FM13 until I've played all of them to completion or as good as.
    WTF Snake you went crazy with Steam shopping! How are you (and Crouchy) going to play all those games.

I would have to say Steam is an amazing platform. It's not really a fuss as everyone says it IMO. Not sure about the UK, but I can get games on Steam a lot cheaper than in a store, where 90% of the space reserved for games is reserved for consoles and handhelds.

Semi Pro

I only have 105 games Crouchy...

Rancer games can be found cheaper on Direct2Drive or Amazon compared to Steam but the sales steam have are insane.

Reserves

Rancer games can be found cheaper on Direct2Drive or Amazon compared to Steam but the sales steam have are insane.
    I don't think I even one fifth of that amount.

Direct2Drive - I've bought games on there before but only ones that I can't find on Steam. The last time I went back on the site was when they were moving websites.

Amazon - Ugh, the Canadian store has absolutely nothing so I don't bother buying games there.

Didn't actually buy a lot from the Steam sales, partly because I bought so many other things and the stuff I bought during the sale weren't as cheap as some of the other stuff!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    WTF Snake you went crazy with Steam shopping! How are you (and Crouchy) going to play all those games.

I would have to say Steam is an amazing platform. It's not really a fuss as everyone says it IMO. Not sure about the UK, but I can get games on Steam a lot cheaper than in a store, where 90% of the space reserved for games is reserved for consoles and handhelds.
    Added it up and it was £150.

Works out at less than £3.75 per game though, so that's not so bad

105!!

I'm going to count my console games now, I bet you've got more than I have on every platform put together.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    The way I see it is that Steam has basically sorted me out for games for the whole of 2012 this Xmas. I won't have to buy another game for a long time!

Is that all?

;)

First Team Squad Member

105!!

I'm going to count my console games now, I bet you've got more than I have on every platform put together.
    To be honest, I think that's probably more games than I have ever owned on every single format in my entire life!

Semi Pro

Rancer try GamersGate thats good for Indie games

Amazon is really good here (especially with pre order guarantees!)

I know Crouchy I am disappointed in myself too!

Semi Pro

I have joined the group

Semi Pro

I didn't want to spend ages doing a profile picture for it not to be what we were looking for. It would be nice and handy if we could get some ideas flying about, we've already had 'An Icon' but for now this was a quick 5 minute mock up. Like the idea of the picture? Be great if I could get some good ideas flying about, give me more to play around with!

It was the first idea that popped into my head 'fireworks as the background' and I managed to find a great picture from last years Champions League final. Then obviously write FMCU, could change 'Football Manager Career Updates' to a slogan? I could also play around with the colors as well, if that's what people want.

Youth Team

That's good for a 5-minute job! Perhaps make it circular or shield shaped like a club badge?

Semi Pro

Thanks SnakeXe, that's not a bad idea but remember the Steam profile pictures are Squares so whether it would look as good once up as a PP I'm not too sure, but I'll change it and keep both

Youth Team

Well I just counted all my console games, and let me tell you, 80 games does not look like a lot. Mind you, that includes PS2, PSOne, original Xbox, Gamecube, and PSP, as well as 360 and PS3, so it's pretty much all the games I've ever bought.

Except the 30+ PS2 games in my parents' loft.

And I actually have 102 games on Steam now.

Crouchy, your Inbox is full by the way.

First Team Squad Member

That's looking good HC!

Inbox cleared now, Signor Serpente.

First Team Squad Member

Seems to be quite a few people who know about games in here. Anyone know a good game similar to Masters of Orion?

Reserves

Don't think it's wise for me to get into that debate because this thread will quickly turn into a yes or no to Steam and then SI might bust in here and close the thread for discussing Steam in anything but the most euphoric of terms.

When it comes to digital distribution, however, I much prefer GOG.com. You won't find Skyrim there, but they have a lot of great games and will apparently start to release newer games now (but not totally new). Love their philosophy ahead of Steam's any day of the year. Then there is of course the added bonus of no DRM and no container app to muck up things.

Youth Team

If you can be bothered to, drop me a PM about it, I'm interested to know what you think.

Reserves

Seems to be quite a few people who know about games in here. Anyone know a good game similar to Masters of Orion?
    Not tried that game, but if you like roleplaying games then there is one, and only one, champion: Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (with expansions). Okay, so that's four

If you haven't tried them you ought to. I have not really played BG2 yet, only a little in the start, but Baldur's Gate 1 is probably my best ever gaming experience, even if I played it a couple of years ago and the games came out a decade ago.

Of newer RPGs, The Witcher is great too, and right up there with my best gaming experiences. Not tried Witcher 2 as my PC can't handle it, but I've heard the overall experience of Witcher 1 was better.

I also loved Mafia. Fantastic story! When the credits rolled I was sat back in my chair with wet eyes. Great stuff.
    (Not tried Mafia 2 as my PC can't handle it, but I've heard it's pretty weak compared with Mafia).

Thought the story of Mass Effect was brilliant too. Such a fantastic story and universe (in more than one way), so was really disappointed when they botched it all up in Mass Effect 2 and turned it into a shooter. Know many still like it, but I hated what they did to it.

In those four games are probably my best ever gaming experiences outside of FM (and at least some top FM, although I put much more time into FM).

Also honourable mention of the 10 year anniversary edition of Settlers 2. Wonderful game to just tick away at and watch those wee fellas do their thing. Bioshock 1 was also really good, if only for the original story and gameplay. Not tried 2, but I've heard it's much the same.

Semi Pro

I won Witcher just before Christmas and am still yet to play it but from what i here it's a hell of a game!

Semi Pro

Don't think it's wise for me to get into that debate because this thread will quickly turn into a yes or no to Steam and then SI might bust in here and close the thread for discussing Steam in anything but the most euphoric of terms.

When it comes to digital distribution, however, I much prefer GOG.com. You won't find Skyrim there, but they have a lot of great games and will apparently start to release newer games now (but not totally new). Love their philosophy ahead of Steam's any day of the year. Then there is of course the added bonus of no DRM and no container app to muck up things.
    The DRM especially is what irks me - Not just Steam but in general. One reason why I will never purchase another Ubisoft game as long as I live (even though they claim to have disabled it all).

First Team Squad Member

I found Mass Effect to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. It started off well enough and the story interested me but it just kept using the same thing over and over again fly to a planet drop down in the stupid buggy thing, drive somewhere and then get out and shoot something. I gave up after about 5 or 6 hours.

Anyone played the Fable games? I have not played them as I get t he impression they are linear and not open world.

Youth Team

I absolutely loved Fable at the time it came out, I had it on the original Xbox. Fable 2 I enjoyed as well although felt it was slightly weaker than the original. Fable 3 sounded ridiculous, so I didn't buy it.

Youth Team

So four of the five books in my first Amazon order have been dispatched. Guess which one hasn't? That's right, Inverting the Pyramid, the one I was planning on reading first.

Third Team

I adore Fable. All of them. Skyrim is awesome. The end.

Semi Pro

I've not read many, in fact any, proper football books as such. Depending on if you count Autobiographies? Neil Warnock, Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and I was half way through Mottys before I got into reading Blades Days Out which I stopped reading when I got Ant and Dec's autobiographies which I may stop reading to read Gary Linekers account on the 2010 World Cup (Still Dreaming). I will have to sort out which ones I should read and when, they are all great books and will definitely get round to reading them.

On the games side of things, I have FIFA and FM that my time is spent on although I do like F1, yet to get this seasons, might wait a year then get it on the cheap. I'd also love to get into more role playing or shooter games. I've had a few COD's before but got rid of them, however I am tempted to go back and get one of the newer ones. I'll probably have a browse at some point and buy one or two if I can get a good deal. Although they wont be through Steam, I'm just not a fan of games on the computer unless it's Football Manager, Xbox all the way. Then again, the odd ones like Rollercoaster Tycoon which you can't get on Xbox 360 are brilliant fun on the computer!

Reserves

I found Mass Effect to be one of the most boring games I have ever played. It started off well enough and the story interested me but it just kept using the same thing over and over again fly to a planet drop down in the stupid buggy thing, drive somewhere and then get out and shoot something. I gave up after about 5 or 6 hours.

Anyone played the Fable games? I have not played them as I get t he impression they are linear and not open world.
    Those were the negatives about the game. But other than that I found it an excellent game. I didn't like that ME2 sort of turned into a full-blood shooter with some dialogue now and then, but ME1 had more RPG elements, which is what I liked about it -- in addition to the excellent story. Also had a bit of a crush on that blue alien, Liara I think she was called, which I guess doesn't hurt

Here is an analysis of Mass Effect 2 that is both an interesting and funny read, describing some of the main plot holes and down-right annoyances with the design.Of course, don't read if you haven't played the game as there are spoilers galore!!

There were parts of ME2 I liked too, but overall that game showed more than anything else that Bioware went after the shooter market, and IMO their games since have been worse for it. At least for me who like roleplaying games more than "shoot everything that moves" games.

First Team Squad Member

I read the next DragonAge game could be open world, this would be brilliant. To be honest the freedom you get to explore in the Fallout games and Elderscrolls as well as GTA to an extent make it hard for me to play other games. I love the Uncharted series and have the third one ready to play once I am done with Skyrim. I don't get much chance to play any other games on the PC mainly because when I am on the PC the missus is watching TV while we chat so I don't have any sound on.

I bought a Sims game for xmas for the missus but the CD drive won't read it so I am stuck with a game that doesn't work. I wish we had a legal option to download a game once we had bought the physical copy. Also got an older game that will not work with 64-bit windows which is just as annoying.

The blue alien was pretty nice from what I remember.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by DazRTaylor View Post
    The DRM especially is what irks me - Not just Steam but in general. One reason why I will never purchase another Ubisoft game as long as I live (even though they claim to have disabled it all).
    The DRM irks me a lot too, which is why I prefer GOG over Steam. Completely DRM free and no container application to restrict access and watch what's on your computer. That's not a Steam-only thing of course, as mentioned above somewhere Ubisoft is a devil on that, and EA isn't much better either.

What I like with some of the old classic games is that unlike today when there is such an emphasis on great graphics in games, often compromising other aspects of the games, back in the day there was more emphasis on proper game design with good stories and interaction. Although the graphics won't blow you away in Baldur's Gate or Planetscape Torment, the games themselves are incredibly enjoyable.

Not played it yet, but Skyrim is probably an exception to this as there is a lot of emphasis on other aspects too.

Semi Pro

It is worth point out the two games you mention were developed by Bioware.

First Team Squad Member

I just wish there was a game like Civilisation but in space.

Semi Pro

I just wish there was a game like Civilisation but in space.
    Alpha Centauri 2 if it was ever made?

Semi Pro

That's good for a 5-minute job! Perhaps make it circular or shield shaped like a club badge?

Any comments welcome
    Last edited by HotChocolate; 03-01-2012 at 21:27. Reason: changed the size of the picture

First Team Squad Member

Alpha Centauri 2 if it was ever made?
    The results on Google say it was never made.

Semi Pro

The results on Google say it was never made.
    I know.

I mean if it ever gets made.

Third Team

Bioware also did Jade Empire on the old Xbox.. It was one of the best and most beautiful games I ever played. Definitely in my top 10 games ever,

Third Team

I've started logging onto the group's chat every time I'm on now. Bloody Steam!

First Team Squad Member

I am not used to having people on my steam turn my PC on in the morning go out to get breakfast come back and have a message it looks like I ignored for an hour lol.

Reserves

I am not used to having people on my steam turn my PC on in the morning go out to get breakfast come back and have a message it looks like I ignored for an hour lol.
    I know how that feels . What's this group then?

First Team Squad Member

Should be able to see it through my profile.

Reserves

Joined, I like Raware's picture as well.

Reserves

It is worth point out the two games you mention were developed by Bioware.
    Oh yes, I know that. Or rather it was a sub-company or some such thing of Bioware, Black Isle Studios. They made the most excellent games back then. But the Bioware that existed then doesn't exist any more. They still make good games of course, but very different games with a different focus aiming for a different segment of the market.

To throw in a little FM again, figured I'd post this here too as it would probably get lost in my career thread. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just figured it out today

I've just been struggling with this on FM10, and got there in the end!

Don't know if it works for FM12, but hopefully it does. It was actually quite simple. I kept looking at files to locate the national pool (unsuccessfully), but it could be done within the game.

I hired some coaches to the national team and sent them out scouting the top leagues and such, and requested match reports on everybody in the national pool. Then I made a new custom view in the national pool, where I added scout opinion of current and potential ability. I've just gotten a few match reports so far, but it certainly seems to work

This is what it looks like.
    Attachment 0

Youth Team

That's a nice idea Pangaea

Great job with the logo HC, I really like it! If it looks half as good on Steam we're on to a winner

Speaking of retro gaming, I was playing this a while ago. It was actually quite nice to go back to "navigate the level, find the keys, kill the boss" in a way.

Third Team

I've joined the group for FMCU!

For the logo, how about a background of loads of different screenshots from everyone's games dotted with some trophies around the place, then a 3D font saying FMCU.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotChocolate View Post

Any comments welcome
    Very good HotChocolate. I've added it!

To throw in a little FM again, figured I'd post this here too as it would probably get lost in my career thread. Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just figured it out today
    Yes, I figured this one out too on FM10. I also added the columns into the squad screen. Very helpful!

Youth Team

Gah first time I'm on Steam and FMing since adding a few FMCU'ers and the chat servers are down for maintenance!

Semi Pro

Irony huh? Maybe you should come on more ;)

Semi Pro

Cheers SnakeXe and crouchaldinho

hursty2, I'll get working on your idea! Not quite sure how to implement it but I'll have a look!

Youth Team

Irony huh? Maybe you should come on more ;)
    £150 spent in a month and you're saying I should come on MORE?!

Semi Pro

3 of us in the group chat if anyone wants to join!

Semi Pro

Default Possible FMCU Quiz?

Just had an idea after talking to B.W.G about quizzes, if I get enough interest I could start a 'weekly' quiz on here?
    • 10 Weeks long
    • 10 Questions per week
    • Football based questions or general knowledge questions?
    • League table, a point for every correct answer...
    • As many people can join at the start
    You get the idea. So yeah, would it be alright to start a new thread for the quiz? Get some interest going?

Youth Team

I like the idea! Perhaps have 5 football questions and then 5 random general knowledge?

Reserves

Maybe have the winner of each round decide the new questions. Or someone would have to sit out permanently.

Third Team

5 football and 5 random general knowledge is a good idea and the winner each week gets to decide the new questions.So just mix SnakeXe and Nottingham Forest ideas.

Semi Pro

I like the idea! Perhaps have 5 football questions and then 5 random general knowledge?
    That sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham Forest View Post
    Maybe have the winner of each round decide the new questions. Or someone would have to sit out permanently.
    I really don't mind sitting out permanently, it would benefit the league as then everyone would answer the same amount of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    5 football and 5 random general knowledge is a good idea and the winner each week gets to decide the new questions.So just mix SnakeXe and Nottingham Forest ideas.
    I'll work it all out tomorrow and get the thread up and running!

We will try and get as many people interested as possible! Seen as there is no limit!

Third Team

Excellent! The main thing is timing!

Part-Timer

And a bonus question about something in a thread written by last week's winner ...

Part-Timer
    Champions League prediction winner 2013/2014

I like the idea, you can put my name down.

Semi Pro

I can see me getting 5/10 every week Good job I know nothing about that sport with the white and black chequered thing

First Team Squad Member

Couldn't people just cheat and google the answers?

Semi Pro

They could AB so either we have to do it "live" or we just have to trust people

Semi Pro

DERP, double post, my bad

Part-Timer

Imagine it would be difficult to do live due to peoples other commitments. I works shifts and usually only around when other people are at work or tucked up in bed. Would have thought we could trust each other not to be using google. Sad state of affairs if someone feels the need to cheat to win a quiz thats just for fun.

Semi Pro

Who said this is fun, THIS IS SPARTA! (Sorry )

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBaldBuddhist View Post
    Imagine it would be difficult to do live due to peoples other commitments. I works shifts and usually only around when other people are at work or tucked up in bed. Would have thought we could trust each other not to be using google. Sad state of affairs if someone feels the need to cheat to win a quiz thats just for fun.
    It would indeed be a very sad state of affairs but it could happen. I won't be taking part but it will be fun to see who is the winner.

If this place had a like button I would use it for this post.

Part-Timer

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by ShyBaldBuddhist View Post
    I'm with you. I work nights so my shifts are off with usual timings

Semi Pro

It would be to hard to do it live almost impossible, whereas if I give everyone a week to get their answers to me then it will be fine.

On the 'cheating' aspect, technically they could do it even 'live' but other wise, it's just a quiz for pure fun, nothing more, you wont win anything (apart from having that great feeling, which you wont get if you cheat your way to victory) so yes, it would be a very sad state of affairs if someone did cheat as AcidBurn and ShyBaldBuddhist said.

For the layout, I will do 5 General knowledge questions and 5 (football or general sport? I personally think general sport would be better, more variety, but I will go with the majority). I will take Makonnen's great idea of a bonus question every week from the winners thread (the first week will be from my thread and if we get nearly the same winner every week I'll go to the runner up). You can look at there thread for the answer, but I will NOT make it easy at all. But, obviously, you can't look for any other answers and you can't ask the person who writes the thread for the answer.

The questions them self will range from easy to hard, I'll make them as general as possible and as fair as possible. Looking to get this thread up and running tonight, will put ShyBaldBuddhist's name down and anyone else that definitely wants to join in.

Looking forward to this!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast