+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,700 of 7192

Thread: FM Careers Forum Discussion

Amateur

slightly different topic to what is being discussed above but...

Do you know if you can manage a team twice. What i mean is can i resign and then a few years later apply and get the same job or is it coded into the game so that you can't do that?

Third Team

What the hell is Fantastic (ironic name) going on about?! Put your toys back in your pram and show some respect to one of the forum greats!!!

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbird93 View Post
    slightly different topic to what is being discussed above but...

Do you know if you can manage a team twice. What i mean is can i resign and then a few years later apply and get the same job or is it coded into the game so that you can't do that?
    I've seen Mancini get rehired by Inter and sacked again so if AI can be rehired then Human Players should be able to!

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by B.W.G View Post
    I've seen Mancini get rehired by Inter and sacked again so if AI can be rehired then Human Players should be able to!
    ok thanks it was just a random thought of mine. Could do a Kevin Keegan style return to Newcastle kind of thing.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by iacovone View Post
    What the hell is Fantastic (ironic name) going on about?! Put your toys back in your pram and show some respect to one of the forum greats!!!
    Please stop assuming this me getting angry or upset over something as trivial as someone not being able to find the motivation to play a computer game. I respect people who earn it.
    Last edited by Fantastic; 02-11-2011 at 07:49.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Please stop assuming this me getting angry or upset over something as trivial as someone not being able to find the motivation to play a computer game. I respect people who earn it.
    Well its how youve come across mate

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbird93 View Post
    As I understand it, the game initially adds you as a 'disliked' person when you leave a job but on a temporary basis so that it will disappear over time. This usually prevents you from leaving a job and then getting it again straight away. This is how it has worked in the past and I can't imagine it has changed for FM12.

International jobs can be a bit different. In past versions, it has been extremely unlikely (in my experience) that you could get a second go at an International team, although I believe Dafuge did manage this once(?). This might well have changed though because International management has been a bit bugged in recent versions.

At club level though, I'm sure you can get the same job twice with a gap in between. Dafuge managed this in his career last year. I haven't done it myself but, on FM10, I remember being offered a job that I had already had in the past in one of my saves, so it is possible.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 02-11-2011 at 12:46.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    As I understand it, the game initially adds you as a 'disliked' person when you leave a job but on a temporary basis so that it will disappear over time. This usually prevents you from leaving a job and then getting it again straight away. This is how it has worked in the past and I can't imagine it has changed for FM12.

International jobs can be a bit different. In past versions, it has been extremely unlikely (in my experience) that you could get a second go at an International team, although I believe Dafuge did manage this once(?). This might well have changed though because International Management has been a bit bugged in recent versions.

At club level though, I'm sure you can get the same job twice with a gap in between. Dafuge managed this in his career last year. I haven't done it myself but, on FM10, I remember being offered a job that I had already had in the past in one of my saves, so it is possible.
    ok thank you very much. That makes a lot of sense

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Crouchy maybe you could have a go in South America if you want to work on the tactical side of the game...

Just load all leagues (or whatever reaches your player limit) and try an unemployed career game and dive into the unknown. And set some goals, it'll help out a lot to keep going.
    Thanks Rancer. I think I will load a decent number of different leagues to try out now that I have the computer to do so. I do intend to start unemployed and at the bottom.

I'll probably start something similar to SnakeXe and Iacovone, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    I can just about remember India, I thought of attempting rancers challenge with an Indian team.
    I had a lot of fun in India, although this was back on FM08.

I completed a season or two in India on FM10 (with Vasco) but I had my Saints save, the Calcio one and Fabio Crouchello going, so I was busy with those!

India is great fun for a long-term challenge. I've always wanted to do one of those long-term saves where you work on club and country. You know, try to bring through the best players from that country and eventually manage the national team too. I imagine it would be a pretty big challenge in India given the national team's current ranking!

But I'll probably focus on a journeyman career save this time around. I'm a bit like Dafuge was when he started FM11 in that I feel I've done the small club to big club thing a great deal, and I'm ready for a change for my next save.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 02-11-2011 at 12:48.

Semi Pro

This talk of India is tempting me. I have just started a new career. Good damn you all!

Youth Team

I have India loaded on my save, might have to pop over there one day to see what the fuss is about

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flamers View Post
    This talk of India is tempting me. I have just started a new career. Good damn you all!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    I have India loaded on my save, might have to pop over there one day to see what the fuss is about
    Expect poor players, no money, little interest from foreign footballers, appalling football at times, and a challenge to make any progress against the bigger clubs due to their overwhelming financial advantage and much superior gates. In other words, it's a lot of fun.

Semi Pro

Crouchy did you not read about me in the lower leagues of Iceland. It makes the BSP look like the EPL :|

Third Team

I've gone back twice, once on FM10 (to Albacete) and once on FM11 (to Leiria)

You really have to become either an Icon or Legend to be able to go back, in my experience.
    Last edited by Deisler26; 02-11-2011 at 14:07.

First Team Squad Member

Yeah, I did read your adventures in Iceland.

I suspect starting out in Iceland is probably a similar level to India, in terms of player quality.

Semi Pro

It really is. At the start a player with 3 stats 10+ is amazing for the league.

Semi Pro

Just got a quick question, does anyone know why I am not allowed to upload images? I'd love to have screenshots and stuff put onto the posts but it wont allow me, says I haven't got the rights or something? So I currently use links to Photobucket but I'd much rather have some images on the actual posts.

Semi Pro

You can embed the images from Photobucket (Guide)

Semi Pro

You can embed the images from Photobucket (Guide)
    Okay, thanks a lot Flamers!

Semi Pro

No problem

Reserves

It really is. At the start a player with 3 stats 10+ is amazing for the league.
    That's amazing in the Malaysian and the HK league!

Semi Pro

Rancer these teams enter into the CL :P

Amateur

I completed a season or two in India on FM10 (with Vasco) but I had my Saints save, the Calcio one and Fabio Crouchello going, so I was busy with those!
    Ahhhh, Vasco in India - one of my all time favourite clubs, thanks to FM. I've had long term games with them in FM10 and FM11 and I even visited them already in my FM12 journeyman career! I did even get to the point in FM11 of managing India as well, but I didn't manage to develop the national team too far.

I've actually found that if you can find the right players, it's not too hard to take a newly promoted team into the upper reaches of Indian domestic football - but it's a whole different matter taking them much further than that. You can eventually get some half-decent African and Brazilians (half decent as in - would never cut it in any European/South American league but way better than what's on offer domestically) but due to foreigner restrictions you're forced to mostly build your team around Indian players.

I'm getting all misty-eyed and reminiscent just thinking about it!

Amateur

Sorry for the double post - just to prove the awesomeness of Vasco SC, this is from the club's website:

The predominantly black jersey worn by players in away fixtures signifies darkness, evil and ignorance. The white sash running across from left shoulder to right hip signifies a ray of light that obliterates darkness and evil and brings enlightenment, learning and civilization.

At the heart of the white sash is the famous cross, which in the darkness and ignorance of away venues brings light and with it hope, learning and enlightenment.

The home kit is in the reverse and signifies that the away team is brining darkness and ignorance to the club’s ground that is already bathed in enlightenment and hope. The Cross of the Military order will vanquish and subjugate the visiting powers of evil.

Players and opponents alike bear testament to an ‘unknown’ force that seizes Vasco Sports Club players and propels them to perform better than they thought possible.

Reserves

Rancer these teams enter into the CL :P
    Malaysian and HK teams can enter the AFC Champions League through reaching the Final in the AFC Cup, otherwise no.

Semi Pro

By the way, since we were sharing twitter accounts a few pages back, here's mine: https://twitter.com/#!/noikeee. Some occasional FM updates, but mostly about football and formula 1.

First Team Squad Member

Right, I should have some spare time for FMing this evening and this weekend generally, so I'm hoping to start a proper FM12 save. I have a basic plan in mind but I'd like to hear your opinions, fellow FMCUers, especially as I'm struggling to make up my mind about certain things. If all goes well with this save initially, I hope to start a new career thread.

The basics are that I want to start a journeyman save, given that I now have a decent spec computer with which to load leagues (i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz and 8GB RAM).

I think I've decided to load something like the following:
    EUROPE: Denmark, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.
    AFRICA: South Africa.
    ASIA: Perhaps India and one other (?). Need Rancer's help!
    NORTH AMERICA: Mexico.
    SOUTH AMERICA: Argentina.

So, first question is for Rancer: which other Asian leagues would you recommend loading? I'm going to be sticking with the out of the box, 'vanilla' leagues, most likely, unless their is a compelling and intriguing suggestion from you guys to do the opposite!

Also, I'd appreciate any other advice from anyone who wants to tell me which other leagues I should load and why!

I realise that I can add and remove leagues in the future, so it's maybe not so important at the start on this new FM, but I want to get the bare bones of my set-up sorted from the start.

Moving on to the main dilemma now. This mainly concerns my ideas of where I start out in my managerial career. I will be playing a journeyman save, starting in one of the bottom playable divisions as a 'Sunday League' reputation manager, and attempting to move from club to club and eventually trying to make it to the big time. I have two ideas of the narrative I would like to take in my save, as follows.

1) 'Non-League to the Champions League' - I'll download Uncle Ron's edited database and start out on my managerial adventure at Step 4. The idea will be to start out my career in Non-League football and initially to build some sort of reputation in English football before I move abroad, rather like SnakeXe is doing in his current save, or Dafuge did last year.

2) 'Crouchy's Lessons in Calcio' - I will start out my career in Italian football at a Serie C2 club and build my initial reputation in Italy before moving abroad, hopefully to apply some of the lessons from calcio that I will have learnt along the way!

So you see, it really only has an effect on the initial part of my save, the foundation of my managerial adventure! In the long-term, my intention would be to move around into different countries anyway and I do eventually want to go outside my comfort zone on this save and try some new places for me personally.

On the one hand, I'm very tempted by the Non-League start, as I love Non-League football and I'm intrigued by trying out Uncle Ron's update. It would also allow me the opportunity to manage some other English clubs that I have a soft spot for, as normally I nearly always manage St. Albans City. Starting in England would mean 'earning' a move abroad.

On the other hand, the Italian leagues are my home away from home on FM. I had such fun on FM10 with my Calcio Journeyman save. Italy tends to be more tactically interesting, even at the bottom, than England is, which would mean more experimentation. It also takes me away from my usual stomping ground of Non-League clubs, which I've maybe done quite a lot over the years. I would effectively start higher up in Italy but I would make it more difficult initially by playing as myself (an Englishman) therefore allowing a greater difficulty at the start as I learn the language etc. Having said that, I was tempted to create an Italian alter-ego or maybe use one of my old players, a bit like Iacovone does in his games. I'm not sure about this!

I decided to make a list of pros and cons.

'Non-League to the Champions League'

PROS:
    - Get to use Uncle Ron's database edit
    - Step 4 could be a real challenge as a starting point
    - My usual favourite stomping ground - I love Non-League football
    - I could manage some lower league clubs in England that I've always wanted to try whilst I build my reputation

CONS:
    - Too much in my comfort zone?
    - Tactical variety won't be as interesting (mostly 4-4-2!)
    - It always feels a bit wrong starting in Non-League football when I'm not managing my favourite club!

'Crouchy's Lessons in Calcio'

PROS:
    - More potential for tactical experimentation
    - I enjoy managing in Italy
    - Chances of a return to Hellas Verona (a favourite club for me on FM) are possible
    - I could keep my game vanilla in terms of edited leagues

CONS:
    - Start at a higher level (C2) than I would do in England effectively
    - I want to play as myself (an Englishman in Italy) so realism issues in my mind (maybe I could be like the managerial equivalent of an intrepid Brian Glanville? Or maybe an alter-ego or ex-player?)
    - Would potentially miss out on a couple of interesting lower league jobs in England

Not sure which to go for right now. I'm leaning towards Calcio, though, I think, maybe, sort of, kind of.........................

Any opinions or ideas will be gratefully received!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 04-11-2011 at 18:32.

First Team Squad Member

With all of those leagues loaded just start unemployed and go where ever you get offered a job first.

Reserves

I'd load South Korea Crouchy, definitely a fun league imo.

First Team Squad Member

With all of those leagues loaded just start unemployed and go where ever you get offered a job first.
    Call me strange AB, but I like to have a clear narrative in my head before I go into a save. It helps me to get into it and to stick with it during the initial stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham Forest View Post
    I'd load South Korea Crouchy, definitely a fun league imo.
    Yeah, that was the one I was leaning towards.

Amateur

I also recommend South Korea. China is a fun place to manage as well.

Youth Team

I've got China, Australia, India and South Korea loaded in Asia. Couldn't really recommend any of them as I've been nowhere near, as you know!

I think you'd probably enjoy the Calcio one, playing as an alter-ego. Or another twist is starting off as an Italian in the English basement - Catenaccio for Tiverton Town?

Third Team

Go for the Calcio. I love reading about non-UK careers!

Reserves

Crouchy, I'll go with South Korea, China, and Hong Kong. Firstly, because South Korea and China each have 4 teams who enter the ACL (and gives you a more realistic chance of winning it). As for HK, it's because I'm just from there , and it's a fun little league to manage in.

And also because I usually load leagues together in which dual nationalities are common (like China/HK, USA/Mexico). If you asked me Crouchy, I would obviously say start in Asia...

Bar Australia and India I have managed in all the other countries for at least a couple seasons so if you want any assistance in any of them then ask away.

First Team Squad Member

Call me strange AB, but I like to have a clear narrative in my head before I go into a save. It helps me to get into it and to stick with it during the initial stages.
    You are slightly strange lol but I get what you mean.

All those leagues all those continents are you going to try and win every champions league?

International Squad

Start in England Crouchy and load up the Scilly Isles League.

Amateur

I would like to second, or third, or whatever number we're up to, South Korea, had a lot of fun there - and I'm glad you're already set on loading up India! Personally I'd like to see you do the Calcio version - I think it's just a little more interesting initially, which is important if you're expecting the two versions to effectively converge after a few years. But I'll follow either one!

Semi Pro

My thread isn't enough to vent my frustration. Anyone else here ever managed to lose 4 promotion playoffs in a career spanning 14 seasons?

Part-Timer

Crouchy, I would say start your career outside of Europe (South Korea, perhaps?) and work you on to the continent, where you can then lead a team to club glory!

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by noikeee View Post
    My thread isn't enough to vent my frustration. Anyone else here ever managed to lose 4 promotion playoffs in a career spanning 14 seasons?
    Ive lost in the play-offs two seasons running if thats any help

Youth Team

I have so I know how you're feeling. No consolation to you I know but at least you know you're not alone!

Semi Pro

I have just found a club in India that I want to start a career with. I might do a season more with Bury Town then give it a rest for a little while. I feel so much less motivated in England for some reason...

First Team Squad Member

Back on FM07, with St. Albans City playing in the Championship, I lost in the play-offs three times in a row!

For the third and final play-off loss, I remember that my Saints side had accumulated enough points to be promoted in any other season, but they just couldn't keep up with the top two, who were in extraordinary form all season. And then we lost in the play-offs against a side who we'd beaten twice previously during the season, not to mention a side who had finished 16 points below us in the table!

I remember how frustrated I was the third time in a row that I lost in the play-offs. You know the handy tips that come up when the game is processing? Well they quite wonderfully told me that 'to resign as manager of your current team, click on manager and resign' just after I had lost yet another playoff final. Ah, it was so tempting! And yet, I stayed on at the Saints and eventually won the Championship title and secured Premier League football for my club. Happy days.

So yeah, I know how you feel Noikeee, but the glory will come in the end, I'm sure!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 05-11-2011 at 11:57.

Semi Pro

Its worse when you come 3rd 3 seasons in a row, no playoffs. Top 2 promoted. That hurts.

Twice I was 3rd on GD....

First Team Squad Member

Thanks for all of the comments helping me out with my career choices guys. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by roganp View Post
    I also recommend South Korea. China is a fun place to manage as well.
    Yeah, I think South Korea is definitely going to be loaded now.

I've got China, Australia, India and South Korea loaded in Asia. Couldn't really recommend any of them as I've been nowhere near, as you know!

I think you'd probably enjoy the Calcio one, playing as an alter-ego. Or another twist is starting off as an Italian in the English basement - Catenaccio for Tiverton Town?
    So you reckon an alter-ego then SnakeXe? I was thinking maybe of bringing Davide Vangi (my regen trequartista from past Hellas Verona days) into management!

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    Go for the Calcio. I love reading about non-UK careers!
    Thanks Deisler. I thought you might say that!

Having said that, I find it strange how some English FMers really don't like playing in England on FM. Never tempted by a bit of Non-League? Or maybe even managing Arsenal, your favourite club?

Crouchy, I'll go with South Korea, China, and Hong Kong. Firstly, because South Korea and China each have 4 teams who enter the ACL (and gives you a more realistic chance of winning it). As for HK, it's because I'm just from there , and it's a fun little league to manage in.
    I think South Korea is going to be in, for sure. I'll have a think about the others. Thanks for the recommendations!

And also because I usually load leagues together in which dual nationalities are common (like China/HK, USA/Mexico). If you asked me Crouchy, I would obviously say start in Asia...
    I think I'm pretty set on a European start, preferably in England or Italy, but I'm not ruling anything out. I will load up a save and make some decisions!

Bar Australia and India I have managed in all the other countries for at least a couple seasons so if you want any assistance in any of them then ask away.
    Cheers. Appreciate it!

First Team Squad Member

You are slightly strange lol but I get what you mean.
    AB, you should know me and my eccentricities by now, my friend!

All those leagues all those continents are you going to try and win every champions league?
    Possibly. I don't have any goal at the moment apart from to have an excellent adventure and to try to get as high up in the footballing world as I can. I guess one little thing I have in mind is that I would really like to try to win titles in the major European nations and do the 'Mourinho' grand slam. But who knows how my career will go. It might be lower league mediocrity for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobby_McDonald View Post
    Start in England Crouchy and load up the Scilly Isles League.
    Sounds like fun Nobby!

Quote Originally Posted by iseemonsters1 View Post
    I would like to second, or third, or whatever number we're up to, South Korea, had a lot of fun there - and I'm glad you're already set on loading up India! Personally I'd like to see you do the Calcio version - I think it's just a little more interesting initially, which is important if you're expecting the two versions to effectively converge after a few years. But I'll follow either one!
    Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards starting off in Italy. Which do you think is best: playing as myself or as an Italian alter-ego?

Quote Originally Posted by abulezz View Post
    Crouchy, I would say start your career outside of Europe (South Korea, perhaps?) and work you on to the continent, where you can then lead a team to club glory!
    I'll look into it. I think I'm pretty set on Italy as a starting point but I could see an interesting narrative for my manager to start in Asia instead. I'm not ruling it out!

Thanks again for all of the advice so far guys.

First Team Squad Member

I have just found a club in India that I want to start a career with. I might do a season more with Bury Town then give it a rest for a little while. I feel so much less motivated in England for some reason...
    Which club Flamers?

Semi Pro

KFK I was stuck in the 2nd tier for years :'(

Semi Pro

Yeah, I lost 4 promotion playoffs in 5 seasons (with the same club) in my FM11 career.
    It was one of those "group of 4, play each other twice, top team promotes" type playoffs though. They're not very difficult to lose.

Amateur

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards starting off in Italy. Which do you think is best: playing as myself or as an Italian alter-ego?
    I always play as an alter-ego, so I can definitely get on board with that idea. I think as long as you're attached enough to the "character" that you're playing that you can engage fully with the game, it's a lot of fun.

International Squad

Yes, possibly even more.

International Squad

Sounds like fun Nobby!
    If you moved to manage in the Scilly Isles you would finish no worse than second.

Third Team

Thanks Deisler. I thought you might say that!

Having said that, I find it strange how some English FMers really don't like playing in England on FM. Never tempted by a bit of Non-League? Or maybe even managing Arsenal, your favourite club?
    Definitely no interest in taking over Arsenal, they do well enough without me. As for non-league, maybe when Stevenage were there, but now, not really.

Third Team

Ok Crouchy, here's the iacovone LOW DOWN:
    1. You will load Italy down to C2.
    2. Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible
    3. You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible
    4. You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.
    5. You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start
    6. You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)
    7. You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)
    8. You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain
    9. Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.
    10. FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.
    Hopefully this doesn't come across as too condescending (I feel like I can post in this style to you only really!) but I'm as desperate as you are to see you get into a file and find your passion for FM again. Some of the above might be useful, it might not be, but it might kick you into gear

Look forward to seeing you start

First Team Squad Member

2. Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible
    3. You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible
    4. You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.
    5. You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start
    6. You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)
    7. You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)
    8. You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain
    9. Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.
    10. FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.
    Hopefully this doesn't come across as too condescending (I feel like I can post in this style to you only really!) but I'm as desperate as you are to see you get into a file and find your passion for FM again. Some of the above might be useful, it might not be, but it might kick you into gear

If this place had a like button on posts I would click it for this.

First Team Squad Member

If this place had a like button on posts I would click it for this.
    Me too!

Will reply in full shortly Iacovone.

Third Team

I agree with the post

First Team Squad Member

Ok Crouchy, here's the iacovone LOW DOWN:[*]You will load Italy down to C2.[*]Your first job will be in Italy but you'll start unemployed with the lowest reputation possible[*]You will NOT have an alter ego - you will be Crouchaldinho, an Englishman taking a sabbatical in Italy that turns into a job offer. More than plausible[*]You will set a challenge at each club you go to. You are not allowed to leave unless that challenge is complete or you receive an obscenely good offer elsewhere.
    What about if I get the sack?

Loving it so far!

[*]You will take full advantage of your new computer and load at least 15 nations from the start[*]You will ensure that England, India, Argentina, Mexico, South Africa and Sweden are loaded (minimum)[*]You will load England only down to the 4th tier (or not until you have a job in Italy - this was a problem for me on FM11, you are overlooked for anything other than 5th/6th tier jobs in England or suitably woeful reputable leagues such as South Africa)[*]You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain
    Really like this last one. Has to be done!

[*]Most importantly (and I know you of all people will adhere to this), play the game realistically and at your own pace. By this I mean, take a job that would be as close to a realistic career move as possible. i.e. if a club is doubling your money, you'd take it. If the club are in the Champions League year after year, you'd probably take it. But don't jump ship at the very sight of a job offer. If you have a good thing going, I'd hope you'd reject approaches until that stage of your time at said club is complete or over.
    Absolutely.

[*]FINALLY get a goddam career thread started. This will compel you to keep us updated. And having that kind of pressure will make you play your file even through the spiky early days of adjusting to FM12.
    Not at all condescending. The Iacovone 'low down' is just what I needed!

Thanks for this post. It has helped immeasurably!

Youth Team

SnakeXe likes this

Third Team

iacovone likes that people like this

Pleased you found some value in it Crouchy

Third Team

Hey Crouchy! I picked up a copy of Calcio today. Hopefully, it will inspire me to run an Italian career when the (first?) second patch comes out!

Third Team

Imagine if we all took a career as Crouchy in Serie C2, in a Sparticus/Brian kind of way...

Third Team
    Perth Australialand PSN: Saxonaitor XBL: AngloSaxx

When you aint in this place for more than a month, it's intimidating to come back due to all the new threads that just pop up

Third Team

Hey Crouchy! I picked up a copy of Calcio today. Hopefully, it will inspire me to run an Italian career when the (first?) second patch comes out!
    Calcio is one of the best football books I've ever read. If you have a penchant for Italian football you'll love it Deisler

First Team Squad Member

I started my career last night as manager of AS Magenta in New Caledonia, the players are horrendous but my side does have a newgen striker called David Hay got to be plenty of puns in there. Loaded as many leagues as I could find from Oceania and will hopefully make my way to New Zealand and then to one of the nations I add later on.

Semi Pro

[*]You will load and experiment in as many Eastern European leagues as possible, before hitting the big time. Time to dust off Jonathan Wilson's Beyond the Iron Curtain
    Freaky coincidence, that's been my bedtime reading this week.

Third Team

It's great isn't it? And obviously called "Behind the Curtain", poor typo from myself there

First Team Squad Member

As Iacovone says, Calcio is a fantastic read. Glad you picked it up and I would recommend it to anyone else on here who likes their football books too.

Calcio is one of the best football books I've ever read. If you have a penchant for Italian football you'll love it Deisler
    What are the others, out of interest Iacovone?

If there is some interest, maybe we could have a discussion thread on FMCU about football books that might inspire careers on FM!

I started my career last night as manager of AS Magenta in New Caledonia, the players are horrendous but my side does have a newgen striker called David Hay got to be plenty of puns in there. Loaded as many leagues as I could find from Oceania and will hopefully make my way to New Zealand and then to one of the nations I add later on.
    Nice one AB! Good luck!

It's great isn't it? And obviously called "Behind the Curtain", poor typo from myself there
    Agreed, it's a great book.

Have either of you read Jonathan Wilson's recent offering, The Anatomy of England: A History in Ten Matches? I have it but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

First Team Squad Member

If there is some interest, maybe we could have a discussion thread on FMCU about football books that might inspire careers on FM!
    That would be great.

Third Team

What are the others, out of interest Iacovone?

Have either of you read Jonathan Wilson's recent offering, The Anatomy of England: A History in Ten Matches? I have it but I haven't got around to reading it yet.
    I've read a couple of great football books in the last month. Vertigo by John Crace and Paul Lake's autobiography. I'm not usually a big fan of autobiographies, but his is truly great. I'd recommend it to anyone. Vertigo holds much more appeal to Spurs fan as Mr Crace is one himself but I think any football fan can relate to the emotions and stress being a fan can provoke. Crace writes very well (as you'd expect being a writer) and it really is a nice easy read.

Other than those two, I enjoyed "Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life" by Alex Bellow. It's about 75% football related but 25% about the Brazilian culture and how football ties into their way of life. It's particularly interesting with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on the horizon.

Finally - I have a book I'm yet to start called "Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan. It tracks the rebirth of the great 1939 Dynamo Kiev side who were captured by the Germans in WW2. They reformed as FC Start and it's a kind of historical recount of the story. Looks very interesting.

As for Jonathan Wilson - I haven't read that. I'd debated buying it but haven't got round to it yet. The National team aren't my favorite topic at the moment... I'm very excited about his next release - a book on Brian Clough due out in the coming months I believe. That's all for now

Semi Pro

Nope. What I've read from Wilson is "Inverting the Pyramid", top stuff for us FM tactic nerds. Better than "Behind The Curtain" I reckon. Wondering if I should order his new Clough biography, but the sheer weight of it is putting me off, over 600 pages.

Youth Team

I assume people are subscribed to The Blizzard as well?

First Team Squad Member

Nope. What I've read from Wilson is "Inverting the Pyramid", top stuff for us FM tactic nerds. Better than "Behind The Curtain" I reckon. Wondering if I should order his new Clough biography, but the sheer weight of it is putting me off, over 600 pages.
    Yes, Inverting is pretty awesome.

Didn't even know about the Clough biography! Will take a look now.

Damn, I totally forgot about this. I think I've probably missed an issue. Ah, yeah, looks like an issue with Gianni Brera discussed as well. Must get it!

Might well get the digital version, actually. A bit cheaper and I have an Iliad e-reader.

Semi Pro

Yep. Good stuff too, of course being from various authors some articles are going to be more interesting than others, but it's usually highly entertaining.

Youth Team

Yeah I get the digital version for my Kindle, I get through a couple of articles a day on the bus. I've not read Inverting the Pyramid yet but I definitely would like to - might have to ask the missus for it for Xmas!

My favourite football book I've read was Sir Bob's autobiography. The warmth of the man just shines though, fantastic. I'm glad I read it before he passed as well, might get a bit emotional if I read it now - massive respect for the man, a true gent and his passion for the game was unmatched.

First Team Squad Member

I've read a couple of great football books in the last month. Vertigo by John Crace and Paul Lake's autobiography. I'm not usually a big fan of autobiographies, but his is truly great. I'd recommend it to anyone. Vertigo holds much more appeal to Spurs fan as Mr Crace is one himself but I think any football fan can relate to the emotions and stress being a fan can provoke. Crace writes very well (as you'd expect being a writer) and it really is a nice easy read.

Other than those two, I enjoyed "Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life" by Alex Bellow. It's about 75% football related but 25% about the Brazilian culture and how football ties into their way of life. It's particularly interesting with the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on the horizon.
    I've read the Brazilian one, some time ago now. I remember it was an interesting read. I've not read the other two books though.

The next football book I will read will probably be Ian Ridley's book (the St. Albans City chairman).

See here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Golde...0618188&sr=1-1

Finally - I have a book I'm yet to start called "Dynamo: Defending the Honour of Kiev" by Andy Dougan. It tracks the rebirth of the great 1939 Dynamo Kiev side who were captured by the Germans in WW2. They reformed as FC Start and it's a kind of historical recount of the story. Looks very interesting.
    Sounds good.

As for Jonathan Wilson - I haven't read that. I'd debated buying it but haven't got round to it yet. The National team aren't my favorite topic at the moment... I'm very excited about his next release - a book on Brian Clough due out in the coming months I believe. That's all for now
    Yeah, I'm definitely up for this new Clough book. I'll be getting that, for sure. Sounds amazing.

BTW, I currently have Calcio and Behind the Curtain sitting next to me at the moment, for FM career inspiration!

First Team Squad Member

Yeah I get the digital version for my Kindle, I get through a couple of articles a day on the bus. I've not read Inverting the Pyramid yet but I definitely would like to - might have to ask the missus for it for Xmas!

My favourite football book I've read was Sir Bob's autobiography. The warmth of the man just shines though, fantastic. I'm glad I read it before he passed as well, might get a bit emotional if I read it now - massive respect for the man, a true gent and his passion for the game was unmatched.
    You have to get Inverting. Absolutely have to! You'll love it, my friend!

Amateur

The posts in here have persuaded me to order Inverting the Pyramid . Sounds like a great read judging by the reviews on amazon.

Going to have a look at some of the other books mentioned in here as well.
    Last edited by roganp; 06-11-2011 at 23:04.

Youth Team

I know we can't say too much about this, but has anyone else noticed the return of the 'Grey Germans' in their save? I definitely 'fixed' this before I started my save. Not a huge issue I know, as it's unlikely that I'll be their national coach anyway, but it is irritating me. I think its only happened since the last update.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    I know we can't say too much about this, but has anyone else noticed the return of the 'Grey Germans' in their save? I definitely 'fixed' this before I started my save. Not a huge issue I know, as it's unlikely that I'll be their national coach anyway, but it is irritating me. I think its only happened since the last update.
    I know and I forgot to 'fix' it before the 2014 World Cup...

Third Team

I've read the Brazilian one, some time ago now. I remember it was an interesting read. I've not read the other two books though.

The next football book I will read will probably be Ian Ridley's book (the St. Albans City chairman).

See here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Golde...0618188&sr=1-1

Sounds good.

Yeah, I'm definitely up for this new Clough book. I'll be getting that, for sure. Sounds amazing.

BTW, I currently have Calcio and Behind the Curtain sitting next to me at the moment, for FM career inspiration!
    I have Behind the Iron Curtain near me but Calcio's upstairs I think. I did forget one book that I'm making slow but steady progress through.

"The Ball is Round" by David Goldblatt. It's basically the history of football in 900 pages. An absolute beast of a book and such an impressive undertaking. As I said though, making slow progress...

Third Team

Damn. I 'fixed' it before I started too. That's really irritating. Is there a way to fix it mid-save? That will really bug me otherwise

Reserves

Damn. I 'fixed' it before I started too. That's really irritating. Is there a way to fix it mid-save? That will really bug me otherwise
    Check your PM iacovone.

Part-Timer

Rancer, I have the same question if you have a bit of magic. I've taken to maintaining a spreadsheet that maps the grey players to the real ones, but it's a lot of work for not a lot of payoff, and career totals are all wrong. Grrrr.

Amateur

Check your PM iacovone.
    Is there any chance I could get a copy of that PM? The 'issue' kind of destroyed my reporting of the 2014 WC...

I read this a while back, and would recommend it to anyone. Absolutely superb, very well researched and written

Youth Team

Check your PM iacovone.
    Would you mind forwarding that to me too?

Youth Team

Would you mind forwarding that to me too?
    Actually, I think I've 'fixed' it again myself. Just need to wait for the next international call-ups to check

Youth Team

I also would like a taste of the PM action

First Team Squad Member

And me!

First Team Squad Member

I have Behind the Iron Curtain near me but Calcio's upstairs I think. I did forget one book that I'm making slow but steady progress through.

"The Ball is Round" by David Goldblatt. It's basically the history of football in 900 pages. An absolute beast of a book and such an impressive undertaking. As I said though, making slow progress...
    Yeah, I love the Goldblatt book. I mostly dip in and out of it.

Reading it from page to page is one serious undertaking Iacovone! It's absolutely huge and encyclopaedic.

Reserves

Sent you all something.

Third Team

To be honest, Calcio is my first step into football books. As much as I love FM, my interest in football in general has waned somewhat in the last 5-6 years. But I will pick up 'Inverting the Pyramid' and 'Behind The Curtain'

Third Team

Sent you all something.
    Me too? Aw, gwan.

Youth Team

Hooray, no more FCP for me thanks, rancer!

Amateur

Sent you all something.
    Legend, cheers rancer!

Youth Team

Sent you all something.
    Thanks a lot rancer, much appreciated! Wouldn't have expected anything less from FMCU Poster of the Year though

Third Team

rancer = hero

Third Team

This is a brilliant feature article I came across today about the Danish Dynamite team of the early 80s. A very good read. And Crouchy - you'll recognise the name Preben Elkjaer I hope!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...-denmark-1980s

Reserves

Legend? \o/ Hero?? \o/

Very flattering.

Me too? Aw, gwan.
    Check your PM too.

Youth Team

Hey guys,

So far on FM12, I've rekindled my love for 'small to big club challenges' over in CSE but I still feel the lure of FMCU.... No time to run a full-on journeyman alongside a challenge save though so I've decided to make my FMCU 'bit on the side' an international management career game. Found a thread in the Editors' Hideaway full of additional competitions (regional African and Asian championships plus a few youth championships) - once the remaining comps are added, I'll get my 'International Journeyman' career on the road.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast