+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 2,000 of 7074

Thread: FM Careers Forum Discussion

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    I can't say I'm a big fan of the Italian leagues, I think I'd prefer to manage in Germany.
    Why's that Dafuge?

First and foremost, I prefer English football. However, there is something about the big names in the Italian leagues and the whole culture around football in that country for me personally. I grew up idolising Roberto Baggio and watching the Italian national team in 1990 and 1994 and found it intriguing, I guess because it was so different to what I knew from English football and I probably found it exotic etc. Also, I remember Football Italia was always on Channel 4 when I was a kid, and I used to love watching all of these amazing stars and teams in Italy, again so different in terms of tempo and tactics to what I was used to. Then there was books like the one on Hellas Verona by Tim Parks, and the book on the miracle of Castel di Sangro, which caught my imagination. I've also visited Italy several times and just found the whole culture around football really interesting. I guess it's a case of romanticising something that I don't really know that well but have glimpsed and probably filled in some of the details myself!

I always get more of a kick out of FM when involved in what I know in real life. I don't know German football very well at all. I've never watched it in depth in the same way as I have Italian football. Same with Spanish football. Thus, I don't find them as interesting. That said, I remember managing in Germany on FM08 during a career save I had running and enjoying my time there a great deal.

At the moment, a few factors are making me desire a return to Italy. First of all, I loaded up an old save in Italy on CM03/04 on a bit of a nostalgia trip the other day and remembered how much I had enjoyed it. Secondly, I'm keen to try something very Italian-style in terms of my tactics, probably involving a 4-3-1-2/diamond midfield. Finally, I've been dipping in and out of John Foot's Calcio, so my imagination is fired up by Italian football right now. I should add to this that SnakeXe's career with Messina has me keen to try a similar adventure!

I'm also a little miserable with English football right now and my Saints save is feeling a little sad for me to play at the moment. It's been a miserable season for me as a fan and so I think I desire an escape to somewhere different to forget and to enjoy something different for a change.
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-04-2011 at 23:28.

World Cup Winner

I was thinking more in terms of FM than real life. I've found that the rules/style in Germany suit me far more than those in Italy.

I also grew up with Football Italia, but the recent state of that league and my introduction to Sky and the Spanish (and German) leagues has swayed me more towards those. Despite visiting Italy and having access to the matches (via ESPN) I just don't find it anything like I remember it as a kid.

First Team Squad Member

I was thinking more in terms of FM than real life. I've found that the rules/style in Germany suit me far more than those in Italy.

I also grew up with Football Italia, but the recent state of that league and my introduction to Sky and the Spanish (and German) leagues has swayed me more towards those. Despite visiting Italy and having access to the matches (via ESPN) I just don't find it anything like I remember it as a kid.
    Nothing is as good as when you are a kid though, is it? Pretty sure that no football these days is as good as when I was a kid! I think maybe there is just something purer about watching football as a child though. Everything is new and exciting, our tastes are simple and uncomplicated, and our love and excitement for players or clubs is much, much purer. We have to justify nothing and just enjoy what we like!

But I know what you mean about the state of the Italian league these days but, once again, my over-active imagination comes in with the hope that my manager and my club can restore some former glory to the Italian game!
    Last edited by crouchaldinho; 29-04-2011 at 23:42.

First Team Squad Member

Regarding the rules, is that just the one non-EU player rule that I saw you are struggling with in your thread?

Probably if I had Sky and watched more German or Spanish football, I would develop more interest for those leagues too. I could see myself getting quite into German football but, for some reason, I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Nothing is as good as when you are a kid though, is it? Pretty sure that no football these days is as good as when I was a kid! I think maybe there is just something purer about watching football as a child though. Everything is new and exciting, our tastes are simple and uncomplicated, and our love and excitement for players or clubs is much, much purer. We have to justify nothing and just enjoy what we like!
    Absolutely!

As a kid I was obsessed with players like Van Basten, Romario, Baresi, Maradona, Batistuta, Baggio etc. I used to study teams and leagues and suck up football knowledge like a Hoover (because Dyson wasn't around back then).

Now I'm just 'yeah, that Messi's alright'

World Cup Winner

Regarding the rules, is that just the one non-EU player rule that I saw you are struggling with in your thread?

Probably if I had Sky and watched more German or Spanish football, I would develop more interest for those leagues too. I could see myself getting quite into German football but, for some reason, I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).
    The non-EU rule is killing me, but I also think my tactics might be struggling. I like an attacking style but it just doesn't seem to be clicking in Italy. Maybe I need more time but I have a feeling that my style just isn't suited to this league.

A few years ago I watched a lot of Spanish football, it seemed pretty good then. Now it just seems to be all about Madrid/Barca.

Semi Pro

...I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).
    I feel the same way C. I'm not quite sure why but it doesn't hold my interest either. I'm like you and daf in that the Italian leagues really hold my interest, probably due to the fact that I also grew up with programs like Football Italia and idolised players such as Gazza, Maradona, Baggio, van Basten, Batistuta, etc.

All this talk about Italian football is making me want to start an Italian save too !

Amateur

Like the rest of you I guess football italia influenced me quite a bit as I've spent many a version of CM/FM playing in Italy and I always looked forward to italian teams playing in the champions league, didn't have sky until I was much older so it was basically that and Motd for footy on tv. Now I'm finding other places more attractive in game particularly once I've read books about them such as the Netherlands or Germany, but there are still things I'd like to do in Italy in my game such as win Genoa a golden star with a 10th scudetto or restore Torino simply because I've read Calcio.

Guess I'm odd in that I've never really played in England in these kind of games, foreign leagues have always interested me more and there is less of a 'oh I hate team X can't manage them', outside of ending up at Barca or Madrid in a game occasionally I can't say Spain has pulled me in yet though, maybe once I read Morbo it will.

Youth Team

For me, for nostalgic reasons, Italian football will always have a place in my heart. 15/20 years ago it could be debated that Serie A was the best league in the world with the stars of Maradona, Baggio, van Basten etc on show. I remembered being enthralled by it, watching on Channel 4 with the Gazetta programme on a Saturday morning and then a live match on the Sunday. It was something completely different to what was on offer in the UK, the Premier League had only just started and I didn't have Sky at the time. The only other live football on the TV were the England internationals and some of the domestic cups matches, which were not on weekly, unlike the Italian football.

However, since the match-fixing scandals, Italian football has really lost it's shine to me. I think it really tarnished it's image, and I doubt the league quality will ever get to the heights that it was in the early 90's. Nowadays, I love the excitement and competitive nature of the Premier League, and to a lesser extent, the Bundesliga. As much as I admire the tactical 'cat and mouse' that still goes on in Serie A, the draw to watch it isn't there any more. I can honestly say that from watching the Premier League religiously over the last 3/4 seasons, I have never enjoyed watching live English football as much as I do now. It is so unpredictable, and even though the majority of the big names are now in Spain, the competitiveness of the league and the entertainment value makes it unmissable viewing.

For these reasons, I also enjoy playing FM in England the most. That being said, I agree with dafuge when saying that Germany is fun, due to the short seasons and lapse rules and regulations. However, due to my cautious tactical approach, the Italian leagues always suit my style of play and I tend to enjoy a fair bit of success there.

Third Team

Well i'm rather happy. Just ordered a brand spanking new custom pc. Won't be with me for a couple of weeks but when it is...I think I'll be switching from my current game to a career with all leagues loaded...HUGE. Can't wait. New pc has been a long time coming for me

First Team Squad Member

I'm jealous Iacovone!

Third Team

Really good set up and paid a fair whack for it so should last me to at least FM16

Amateur

Really don't know what to do at the moment, starting the 5th season of my career game and my manager reputation is 'Regional' having started with Sunday league experience. Nationality is English but I got my first job in Germany's 5th tier (editor file) and having worked miracles there I just can't seem to be able to move on, even to clubs in lower divisions or regional reputation. Did get linked with a few English blue square n/s or prem jobs in season 3 but nothing the last year in game and never get linked to any german jobs... really want to start my career thread but now worried I'm never going to get to leave this team thanks to the oh so wonderful reputation system.....which as I wanted a journeyman career would make it fairly pointless continuing.
    On 11.3 patch, should I find it easier to move if I ever get to national reputation? if that ever happens

World Cup Winner

I've found that with a low reputation there was very little chance of moving clubs while under contract. I had to leave the club before anyone else would hire me.

Amateur

I've found that with a low reputation there was very little chance of moving clubs while under contract. I had to leave the club before anyone else would hire me.
    Have attempted that and I just get laughed off of pathetic jobs miles below the one I left in divisions and reputation... also put it on holiday/apply for anything and got nothing....

First Team Squad Member

Iacovone, how much is your new laptop setting you back? May be time for Crouchaldinho to think about making a new purchase too.

My laptop seems to be ******!

Last night, my laptop was working fine. This morning, I go to power on and it gives me the old black screen routine. Just wouldn't boot up.

I've spent all morning trying to find out what's wrong with it. Eventually, I tried removing the RAM as a last resort. Found out that one of the RAM slots appears to be the issue. It'll boot up fine when one particular RAM slot is empty.

I've no idea how this has happened. It was working absolutely fine last night.

Both sets of RAM appear to be fine (they both work separately in the working slot). The dodgy RAM slot in question actually doesn't feel right. When I go to click the RAM into place, there isn't that satisfying 'click'. Something isn't quite right. The RAM slots in but there is no 'click' into place.

This could be the beginning of the end for my laptop. I've had it since 2007, so it's not even really that old.

To be honest, I think the fan is broken as well. It seems to be constantly whirring. Sometimes the whirring can be quite loud and it can buzz a bit too. This tends to be when I've got a few applications open or when I am doing several things at once. If I have a few things open, it sounds a bit like an aircraft taking off! I do get out the hoover see if I can suck up any dust from the bottom of the laptop on a fairly regular basis though. Lately it has been making less and less difference. Maybe the bearings in the fan have gone or it's just broken.

I use my laptop a lot, esp. for FM, so I wonder if I have just knackered it! Could the fan issue be related to the RAM slot thing?

Would appreciate it if people could advise if it is just time for a new laptop or if this one is salvageable in any way (i.e. is it possible to fix the RAM slot or the fan?)

Pretty gutted right now. Can't really afford a new laptop. If anyone in this thread has some technical help to offer, that would be awesome!

Hellas Verona save might be on hold while I get this sorted.

Third Team

This will sound really insensitive mate, and it really isn't but that description of your laptop issues really tickled me! Sorry to hear that you have issues though, that's a real *******. Kind of similar to my problems too - had my laptop since 2006 and it was great at the time but we've since had a couple of fan replacements, battery replacements, etc.

I'm actually purchasing a desktop rather than laptop as I really wanted something top of the range. I can PM you details if you'd like?

First Team Squad Member

I bought a new pc a few months ago an i7 overclocked to 4gHz with 6gb of ram although I think fm only uses 4gb of ram. It runs like a dream but I prefer to play fast and do not load lots of leagues.

Got no internet apart from my phone for a few weeks so gutted that I can't update my thread or even read some threads because of the pictures.

Third Team

Sounds a similar set up to the one I'm getting AcidBurn. Have you tried a game with lots of leagues loaded? I'm getting rather excited about being able to run a truly huge spectrum of leagues

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by iacovone View Post
    This will sound really insensitive mate, and it really isn't but that description of your laptop issues really tickled me!
    Harsh and so insensitive! :mad: ;)

To be honest, I see the funny side.

My wife has been teasing me for months now, saying that maybe my laptop has actually evolved and now has developed artificial intelligence. It is unhappy with being a laptop and wants to be a coffee percolator (the sound it makes is not dissimilar to a coffee machine)! We expect that one day, my laptop will finally deliver a cup of black coffee and will then terminate its own life having achieved its objective.

Sorry to hear that you have issues though, that's a real *******. Kind of similar to my problems too - had my laptop since 2006 and it was great at the time but we've since had a couple of fan replacements, battery replacements, etc.

I'm actually purchasing a desktop rather than laptop as I really wanted something top of the range. I can PM you details if you'd like?
    Yeah, PM me the details please Iacovone. I was thinking maybe desktop actually as you get more for your money.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    I bought a new pc a few months ago an i7 overclocked to 4gHz with 6gb of ram although I think fm only uses 4gb of ram. It runs like a dream but I prefer to play fast and do not load lots of leagues.
    How much AB, roughly? Need to start counting those pennies, I guess.

First Team Squad Member

I spent around 900 quid on mine and that was just the tower. I just got advice on which to buy from acidmonkey and my brother in law having two computer geeks to ask made it easy.

All this football Italia talk is making me want a career in Italy now. Probably as Pro Vercelli the ultimate sleeping giant.

Reserves

Yeah get a desktop Crouchy..it's more value and you get a lot more out of your hard earned money.

I'm looking at new desktops here and they're around $1000US, for just the tower though. I got a monitor earlier.

Just don't ever ever in the history of mankind get a Dell system...

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Yeah get a desktop Crouchy..it's more value and you get a lot more out of your hard earned money.

I'm looking at new desktops here and they're around $1000US, for just the tower though. I got a monitor earlier.

Just don't ever ever in the history of mankind get a Dell system...
    +1 Dell are awful.

Find someone who knows a bit, get them to build you one. Twice the performance for half the price.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeXe View Post
    +1 Dell are awful.

Find someone who knows a bit, get them to build you one. Twice the performance for half the price.
    Too bad it took me $2000CDN, 2 laptop batteries, and 3 adapters to learn that lesson...I can probably write an essay on why Dell sucks.

It's best to get one custom built. Check some brands from .uk computer sites. I'm thinking of buying from iBUYPOWER unless I can get someone to help me build it...the towers they got pretty nice specs at a pretty good price (I don't need a monitor. I have a 23 inch one already)

Amateur

Harsh and so insensitive! :mad: ;)

To be honest, I see the funny side.

My wife has been teasing me for months now, saying that maybe my laptop has actually evolved and now has developed artificial intelligence. It is unhappy with being a laptop and wants to be a coffee percolator (the sound it makes is not dissimilar to a coffee machine)! We expect that one day, my laptop will finally deliver a cup of black coffee and will then terminate its own life having achieved its objective.

Yeah, PM me the details please Iacovone. I was thinking maybe desktop actually as you get more for your money.
    It's not happy because you promised it a trip to Venice and instead you're in Verona ;) hope you get it sorted soon.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valin View Post
    It's not happy because you promised it a trip to Venice and instead you're in Verona ;) hope you get it sorted soon.
    That could be it.

Semi Pro

Well it it helps you can build something pretty awesome for under £500.

I am currently running:

AMD 965 @3.4Ghz
    4GB 1333Mhz RAM (It is not only the amount but the speed it counts!)
    2 500GB HDD's in RAID 0
    GTX 460
    ASUS Motherboard
    3 Case fans 80mm+
    700 watt PSU (this was given to me)

It cost me £400 without the PSU so £70 for a decent one and your set IMHO Intel are too overpriced. They are fast but not that much faster than AMD

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    I spent around 900 quid on mine and that was just the tower. I just got advice on which to buy from acidmonkey and my brother in law having two computer geeks to ask made it easy.
    geek?

and Flamers i built a i7 i just prefer the intel chips over AMD now for the last few just feel im getting more bang for my buck, i built this for think it was £560ish

i7 930 (OC to 4GHz)
    6GB of DDR3 Ram
    2x 500GB HDD's (reycled from old machine)
    ATi 5770
    new PSU but blew that up got a refund on it and im using an older one again.
    ASUS board
    Antec 1200 case
    dvd writers are recycled from my old machine again

Semi Pro

i7's don't offer it that much better than i5's let alone Phenom II's and Phenoms are far cheaper.

I did spend £100 on HDDs and DVD drive...

Youth Team

the phenoms were a flop, way to inefficient with power, the Phenom IIs were better they wernt worth the price comparison i do a fair bot of 3D editing and rendering the 4 hard cores and 4 virtual ones make life so much easier, the i7 i got was £130 for the CPU whilst you can pick up AMD machines for cheaper i just made the switch to intel with the i7 and find it much more stable temp wise when under heavy load than any of my AMD's were. all the reviews i read leant heavily in favour of the i5/i7 so i went with the i7 and i havent regretted it yet.

Semi Pro

Fair enough. Even under continual 100% load I get max of 45 degrees, stock speed and fan.

My machine was built to run high end games and it does just that so I'm happy

Youth Team

thats the main thing its your machine as long as you happy everyone elses opinion means squat

Semi Pro

I'm thinking of adding an SSD soon but I'm not sure. They still seem quite expensive.. Your opinion?

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by acidmonkey View Post
    geek?
    lol, I am a comic book geek which is probably geekoer than a pc geek.

Semi Pro

I have been playing computer games for over 2/3rds of my life.. and I'm not even 19...

I don't know why but I just like computers, everything about them really...

*NERD*

Reserves

All this computer talk makes me want to get a new one asap...

If you can afford an SSD Flamers...go for it.

Youth Team

go for it Flamers it will make booting up a whole lot easier i dont think it makes much difference in FM but thats beacuse i dont have one so not sure.

Semi Pro

I CAN afford it but I will have no money left to eat and stuff :P Are they really that good? As in how much better than RAID 0 7200RPMs?

Youth Team

i think the average boot times for windows 7 on a solid state is between 11-22 seconds

First Team Squad Member

Windows takes about 12 seconds to boot up with the ssd on my pc. Loading and saving is also quicker.

I wish I knew more about computers and all the technical talk. At least then I could get a job that does not involve heavy lifting lol.

Semi Pro

It's really sad that I know how an SSD works...

This about sums it up:

I am getting convinced.. Also do I have to do a clean install of windows or what if I install an SSD or can I leave it somehow on my old RAID setup?

Youth Team

you can have it in a raid but if you do it will be throttled to the speed of the slowest drive, but you can do a mirror of ya main disk on to the SSD so no need for a full install

Semi Pro

Well my main disk is the RAID 0 and that has 200GB on it... :S

Youth Team

ahh right, new install needed then, the speed from the SSD will more than cover the minimal gains from from a RAID 0 so you will significantly increase your space too

Semi Pro

Space is not a problem :P 1TB What size do you think? 64GB or 90?

Youth Team

id say 90gb if ya can afford it

Third Team

I was looking at getting a laptop built for me.

i7 Dual Core, 2.70gHz, 4MB cache
    8Gb DDR3 Ram
    750Gb HD, (7,200rpm spin) for £715

Any good?

The dream is

i7 Quad Core, 2.30 gHz, 8MB cache
    8GB DDR3 Ram
    320Gb HD (7,200rpm spin)

for £989

Semi Pro

ERGH Don't get a laptop :P

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Flamers View Post
    ERGH Don't get a laptop :P
    I'll never use a desktop.

Semi Pro

In which case look at last years top models. You can often find them at 50% off

Amateur

This may have been asked before, but what is the difference between Sunday League automatic when starting unemployed? Would it technically be the same, or is one of higher rep than the other?

Semi Pro

They are the same. Automatic means if you start at a Premiership club you get a higher rep

First Team Squad Member

I think that 'Automatic' has been broken for several versions now actually. Not sure if it is fixed for FM11 though.

Automatic used to give you the lowest reputation suitable to the lowest level you had loaded in the game. Since FM09, something went wrong and 'automatic' now seems to give you a higher reputation.

Sunday League is the safest option if you want to start with the lowest rep possible. All of the CSE challenges recommend it, for instance.

I, personally, would never start unemployed with automatic, as it always seems to give me a reputation much too high. I always start with Sunday League and have done so since FM09 came out and seemingly ruined the old system.

Amateur

Ah right, OK. Because I started unemployed with intention of being Sunday League, and then looked at my profile and saw it said Automatic. I've gone from Newport County to Sheff Wed to Newcastle in about 7 seasons, which seems a bit quick to me given the move to Wednesday was finalised before the end of the first season, in which I was only in a playoff position when offered. Seems a bit soon to be bypassing L2 straight to L1.

But at the same time I will end up talking myself into starting again if Automatic gives you a higher rep..

First Team Squad Member

If you're planning a career starting at the bottom then Sunday League is the only way. It gives you an 'unproven' rep.

With automatic, I think it gives you quite a high rep, something like maybe 'regional', which means you can walk straight into FL jobs.

I've no idea why they changed it. It was fine as it used to be. They've never explained why. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Amateur

Well I started my current game on Sunday League and got a job in the German 5th tier, now I've been promoted a few times and am in my sixth season my reputation is regional but I never get linked with any german teams, only very very rarely get linked with any english teams (my manager's nationality) and can seemingly only get a job in the blue square leagues despite having gotten my tiny team into 2. Bundesliga. Tbh I'm wondering whether I should keep going in the hope of being able to move or just delete it now before I waste more time.

World Cup Winner

Isn't the German 5th tier a custom league?

I'm wondering whether reputation built up in custom leagues seems to be affected.

Amateur

I'm wondering whether reputation built up in custom leagues seems to be affected.
    Yes it is a custom league which is why I'm wondering like you said... at the same time Acidburn has his game with New Zealand etc and managed to move, so annoying.

First Team Squad Member

I'm afraid that the time has come for me to 'unhook' from FM for a period of time. So I won't be about as much, certainly won't be playing the game at all, although I will probably pop in here occasionally (I'll be playing the game vicariously through you guys ;))!

At the moment, I'm in the process of producing a piece of academic work (a postgraduate research project) that represents the culmination of quite a few years of study. It's going to be an important few months for me and I need to dedicate myself to my work. I think this means that I will have to give up the game in order to focus 100% on my studies for a small period of time. I'm thinking of giving my FM disc to Mrs Crouchaldinho to hide somewhere in the house! St. Albans City and Hellas Verona will have to wait for their managerial saviour while he finishes off his MA!

I have to admit, and I am slightly ashamed to admit, that the game, even after all of this time, still has the power to impact upon my mood, make me grumpy and frustrated etc. However, it's not always negative, and quite often the game can make me feel uplifted and positive, but I think I have to face the fact that FM is probably a game that I can never just 'pick up a play' casually. When I'm feeling addicted and I have that 'one last match' feeling, I have to play most days and, at the moment, I really need to use that time for work. FM also occupies way too much of my thoughts during the day at times! When I'm not playing it or thinking about it, I can often be found on here talking about it with like-minded souls and fellow addicts! I think I probably play too often and it definitely has an impact upon my work at times.

I think that I probably have a quite addictive/obsessive personality. I absolutely love narrative (I'm a bit of a book worm) and FM always provides a compelling narrative in so many different ways! At its best, FM has the feeling of being a 'page turner' and that's why I love it so much. When I'm really into a save, I often get that 'must play one more game' or 'must just tweak my tactics' or 'must just make that one last signing' feeling! I love FM to bits and find it great fun etc., but sometimes I get too obsessive and need a break. Pretty bad when you think about it like that! So definitely a need to 'unplug' for a while! In this case, I probably need to ask my wife to hide my FM CD for a while so that I can complete my studies without distractions involving getting the best out of my talented young striker or attempting to win that elusive missing trophy! As I said above, the mighty Saints and the Gialloblu will have to wait!

Semi Pro

We will miss you Crouchy, please come back after?

Amateur

Weird... resigned and holidayed to try and get another job, got a job in Australia (also a custom league), my reputation immediately jumps to national and my knowledge of germany immediately vanishes.... guess I'm going to bin this game.

Also, good luck with the studying crouchy, what area is it you're working in?

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flamers View Post
    We will miss you Crouchy, please come back after?
    No doubt, I'll be back. I've never been able to stay away from CM or FM for long!

Quote Originally Posted by Valin View Post
    Also, good luck with the studying crouchy, what area is it you're working in?
    English Literature (more specifically Modernism).

Amateur

No doubt, I'll be back. I've never been able to stay away from CM or FM for long!

English Literature (more specifically Modernism).
    Nice, good luck, and time away from this game can be good, I generally go through periods of playing for a few months then a longer period without touching it and always enjoy things more when I come back.

Semi Pro

Yay, we await the return of Crouchy!

Youth Team

as ive got all the achivements on Steam for FM10 id like the last few on FM11 any idea what ive got to do to get these?

Value for money - self explanitary will hit this in three years of my sunderland save
    Take over survival - just gotta assume ill get a takeover at some point
    The Professor - got 65% knowledge i need 75% but got max scouts and best scouts money can buy any tips?
    Continental King - is this to win the Champions League on 3 different continents? or is it to win the Copa America, african Nations, Euro champs?

Semi Pro

The Proffessor easiest way is get feeder clubs in different countries, you get "free" knowledge then ;)

Continental King it's easiest to do Copa America, ACL and CL ;)

Youth Team

the Contintal king i should be able to do with sunderland then as ive just taken over Brazil so can add to the African Nations and the Euro championships, ive got plenty of feeder clubs i think the highest ive had is 67% so going to overhaul my scouts in the summer and try and fill in the "gaps"

Part-Timer

jesus, out of the frying pan...

I left Woking as I felt that league 1 was about their level, joined PNE, also in league 1...what a mess...no morale, not much cash, an unbalanced squad..

You can see why the last boss got the push, just terrible results and form. Gonna be a lot of hard work in the summer.

Youth Team

all part of the fun love the full on rebuilding of a squad and staff on a budget

Amateur

If you're planning a career starting at the bottom then Sunday League is the only way. It gives you an 'unproven' rep.

With automatic, I think it gives you quite a high rep, something like maybe 'regional', which means you can walk straight into FL jobs.

I've no idea why they changed it. It was fine as it used to be. They've never explained why. Not to my knowledge anyway.
    Is this the case since 11.3? Because I can assure you that 'automatic rep' doesnt get you into FL jobs at all when you started your career when the game was released. I'm struggling to get any interest from clubs higher than the lowest rep leagues I've loaded. I was 'forced'to start out in the lowest rep league, and after 10 seasons I still was. I've never been spontaneaously asked to take over somewhere, and I've even had to wait a full season of 'apply to all' to get my first offer after I quit a job. And the new job again in the lowest of the lowest rep league. In my case that would be dutch 4th tier or english 8th tier. After ten seasons of struggling I now managed to get a job in the scottish 2nd division, which isnt much, but still a big step up from where I came from. It's actually the first sign that suggests that automatic rep didn't ruin my career save after all. But it surely didnt make things easy.

I don't know how automatic rep works, it's a vague term to start with. In previous FM's (I thought) it meant the lowest possible rep, although the term suggests some sort of random rep being assigned to you. Back then sunday league rep made a career much easier.
    Last edited by ommerson; 09-05-2011 at 10:39.

Youth Team

i always thought Automatic Rep. was a reputation based on the club you choose to manage first so your rep will be higher if you take on a prem side and lower if at the bottom etc...

Amateur

But I started clubless, would that then give me no rep at all? The first job I got was with a club with a rep below 1000 (FMRTE).

Youth Team

thats where my theory falls down

is a auto rep and unemployed start you with a rep too allow you to get a job in the lowest leagues you have loaded?

Amateur

Yeah, that's what I thought. And that's what happened. I got a job in the lowest league loaded of my domestic Holland. IMO the most realistic way to start a career as a total nobody in the footballing world. I just commented on crouchaldinho's remark that automatic made things easy. When you start unemployed it actually makes things really hard. And that's the way I like it ;-)

Youth Team

whereas if you start with a auto rep at a lower club you have a slightly higher rep as it will be based on the club you take on which is normally a bit higher to me its so a no body manager wont get the sack after losing 3 games etc..
    this is just the way i understand it so may not be right

Amateur

Probably, but luckily the first couple of seasons seem more easy then later on in the game as there are some quality clubless players available that dont mind playing in the dugeons of football for next to no money. So doing poorly in the first two seasons is more of an achievemant than doing well. Maybe that was the problem in my career save, I quit the first job after the second season (the season I actually got the club promoted). Only then did the real struggle begin..

Youth Team

My understanding of 'automatic' experience is that it sets your reputation in-line with the lowest league reputation that you have loaded. For example, if you have English loaded down to the BSN/BSS, your reputation will be set to the level of an average BSN/BSS club. If you only have the Premier League loaded, your reputation will then be set to the level of an average Premier League club.

That being said, I don't think automatic works as well as it should do and sometimes will make it too easier to get a job from the 'in box' leagues.

When using edited add-on league such as lower levels of England/The Netherlands, it will set your reputation ridiculous low (lower than what Sunday-League experience would), which means you will need to do incredibly well to increase your reputation enough to be recognised for a better job.

For all of these reasons above, I always start with 'Sunday League' experience and have seen my reputation grow as I would have expected and receive job offers at regular intervals

Amateur

That was what I thought, but as I said earlier, I moved from BSP to L1 within 1 season. I mean, I'm OK at the game but not that good!

I have since started a couple of new games and set it to 'Sunday League Footballer', and then checked my profile after loading and it has reverted to 'Automatic'. So not sure what to think...

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by AK22 View Post
    When using edited add-on league such as lower levels of England/The Netherlands, it will set your reputation ridiculous low (lower than what Sunday-League experience would), which means you will need to do incredibly well to increase your reputation enough to be recognised for a better job.

For all of these reasons above, I always start with 'Sunday League' experience and have seen my reputation grow as I would have expected and receive job offers at regular intervals
    On the other hand: How much interest would you expect as a manager with no history in professional football what so ever. And I guess not many former professionals play this game, so while in one way it frustrates the hell out of me that I dont get offered higher rep jobs, on the other hand: which foreign club would ever want to gamble on a dutch no-experience manager to lead their club to success (or failure) unless he has proven himself in a fair number of seasons at some level. In my case it took me untill after the 21/22 season to get into an in-box league (being SD2). That is frustrating and sort of realistic at the same time, although the first 4th tier dutch manager with no name in football that gets a job in Scotland has yet to be born I guess. So maybe automatic rep isnt so bad after all.
    And if the game was really realistic no player would ever get a job anywhere, would he?
    "So sir, what teams have you managed so far?"
    "Well, I took Leek Town into europe in FM07, and did a pretty good job at Sundsvall and Siena in FM10. Ah wait, I also won the Champions League with Coventry and also qualified for the world cup with Malawi, but that was back in the CM years"
    "Well that's some cv you got there. I gladly leave the fortunes of this club in your hands. You've got the job!" ;-)

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by acidmonkey View Post
    all part of the fun love the full on rebuilding of a squad and staff on a budget
    Very true, if I was given money now I wouldn't know what to do with it

Amateur

Haha, so true. I actually spent a staggering total of €9k on players (one in this case) in 12 seasons worth of FM11. I hardly ever buy a player, all on free transfers. Larger wage-budgets are welcome by the way, I often like to sign players I cannot afford salary-wise..

Amateur

I think it would be cool if you were interviewed for jobs by the chairman. They could have specific criteria they're after, whether it is attractive football, working well within financial constraints etc, and then you get the job based on what you say. Then, if you didn't deliver they could give out warnings and what not and eventually sack you if it turned out you were talking ****.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
    jesus, out of the frying pan...

I left Woking as I felt that league 1 was about their level, joined PNE, also in league 1...what a mess...no morale, not much cash, an unbalanced squad..

You can see why the last boss got the push, just terrible results and form. Gonna be a lot of hard work in the summer.
    Is that why the thread got locked ?

I knew you'd be out of there before me. :mad:

Youth Team

strange ive got maximum scouts and in total with my feeders have 75% scouting knowledge but the achievment hasnt unlocked any ideas?

Semi Pro

It might be over 75%, it could be 74.99%

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Kelly View Post
    Is that why the thread got locked ?

I knew you'd be out of there before me. :mad:
    yeah, sorry about that..thinking back I should have wrapped the thread up before getting it closed, ut i was up to my neck with Preston...

The seaon ended thus...

(All from memory) with about 11 or 12 games to go i recieved the job offer, Woking hovered at around 20th place, PNE around 15th. obviously PNE are a bigger club, better stadium, etc so I took them up on it.

After a rocky start of 3 losses and a draw everything clicked and we went on a 6 win streak, which was ruined by a promoted huddersfield last game off the season.

We finished 9th i think, Woking stayed up finishing 19th iirc. So good stuff.

Now in pre-season, with an overhaul. if you are fused i'll post the last table.

you'll get out of there in the end, whats your rep? Mine was national at time of leaving.

Amateur

Is it possible to go from sunday league footballer to world class manager reputation within a normal lifetime without cheating (on 11.3)? If so how many seasons would it you guess to take with good management skills?

I've started career game as unemployed sunday league rep taking over ballymacash rangers (n.ireland) and wondering what is possible from here on in.

Amateur

Is it possible to go from sunday league footballer to world class manager reputation within a normal lifetime without cheating (on 11.3)? If so how many seasons would it you guess to take with good management skills?

I've started career game as unemployed sunday league rep taking over ballymacash rangers (n.ireland) and wondering what is possible from here on in.

Semi Pro

I started with Sunday League (it says automatic now??) and I am a "Legendary Manager" after 20 seasons, I got it after about 15-17 so it's possible

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post

It's definitely possible, but will take several seasons to get there when starting at the bottom and working your way up. Winning trophies and exceeding expectations are the ways to do it

Semi Pro

Definitely! I started off with Sunday league footballer and now have a World class rep in my Asia save

Amateur

Hi all,

I'm hopeing you can help. I usually only load 1 country but want to start a save with a number of leagues loaded. I was wondering, how many leagues/nations do you think i could load with the below laptop:

Acer Aspire 5542
    AMD Athlon II X2 M300 (2.0Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache)
    ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics Up to 1919MB HyperMemory
    4GB Memory

Not really sure what this means (useless with computers lol) but the laptop is over a year old and FM rates it at 2.5 stars.

Any help would be most appreciated

Semi Pro

I might be able to get away with 3-4. It depends how slow you can cope with it being

Amateur

Thats great thanks. I'll start with 4 and see how slow it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I'll hopefully be getting a new laptop in a couple of months and then i might be able to start a huge journeyman career

Youth Team

ok just been told on twitter that the two achievments "The Professor" and "Continental King" actualyl work, funny that as no body has them and ive got 76% scouting knowledge in my FM game and no achievment, and ive messed about with a different save and won three versions of the champions league and dont have that either

Third Team

Been reading my old Savona AI thread today - http://community.sigames.com/showthr...za-Savona!!***

Brings back such great memories :*)

Part-Timer

RE automatic rep - I swear I started as an unemployed Sunday League Footballer, but now the rep says "Automatic" - maybe because I went to a Swedish 2nd division side rather than an English BSS/BSN side? (they were the first to offer me a job).

I've been linked to a couple of League Two sides but have yet to get any offers, nor have I been linked to any bigger clubs in Sweden or had any offers.

Part-Timer

Life with Preston in the first full season is ...interesting..

Second in the table behind a relegated Sheffield Utd who are also the top scorers with 33, we have 32 but have conceded 10 more with 17! Gung ho football ftw!

record is now (iirc!)

P13 W10 D0 L3 F32 A17 Points 30

Very pleased with a free transfer I picked up, a young regen striker with a few decent stats, fairly poor technically, but with good aggression, determination and 17 pace. he seems to have a goalscoring ability that his stats do not indicate!

He's a Portuguese U19 international, scored something like 10 in 13 for them!

Third Team

People of FMCU!

I'm at Leiria, with some good young players and a chance to crack the traditional domination of the big Portuguese 3. HOWEVER, I've been offered a job by Porto... Do I take it??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 70 ... LastLast