+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 59 ... LastLast

Thread: FM Careers Forum Discussion

Youth Team

Default Re: FM Career Forums Discussion

Personally, it's monthly all the way. I find the seasonal updates incredibly boring and vague, anyone who thinks monthly updates are verging on a story must never have read a story or has the imagination/attention span of a child. That said, I like Terk's update, which is every half season.

PS: I don't agree that you need to type up what you have recently played or else you'll forget. It's very easy to save you game under various titles, every 4 months or so and then look back through matches or save screenshots, the screenies provide more info for fans of the thread and should jog your memory about interesting events that have taken place.

Youth Team

its a bit strange as i decide to go monthly then get a bit disconnected from the game as im trying to just keep playing, then i spot somthing that i like monthly and wonder if i can do that instead as id be easily able to do the monthly updates where its just one line about the game end of match report, but they could be a bit too vague, im just not sure which way to go with mine,
    i agree that none of the monthly update ive read are ANYTHING like a story,

its just im struggling to get a style im happy with,

Youth Team

Save a screenshot of each match, with scorers and team form, that way it's not too vague and you can talk briefly about who played well and who the goalscorers were. It's as simple as pressing Alt + F9 at the end of every match and you can carry on playing as normal, it doesn't disrupt your game.

Youth Team

thats the thing i did that the thing that disrupts the game is sitting for the 30+ minutes taken to type up the month properly

Youth Team

Do it when you're not playing the game. Like you said, it's 30 mins and you don't have to write as soon as you've finished playing. Save the screenshots and then when you get a spare 30 mins do the writing, don't feel obliged to type it up or it won't turn out well.

Youth Team

i dont normally got 30mins to do something like that if im not on fm or out, im on my xbox might have a go of it with this season ill see how it turns out

Reserves

Better to wait to the end of the season and spend an hour or so writing it up properly, instead of 6 hours during the season.

Youth Team

ideally id like to do a start of season (after friendlies + signings) update, a jan one, and an end of season one, but its trying to figure out how to do so it original and my own way, if you know what i mean, then there are regular updates, spaced far enough apart not for me to feel its impeeding my game, and anyone reading gets a decent review at how its going.

Youth Team

my other option would be these on a match by match basis:

CROOK TOWN 2
    WHITLEY BAY 0
    Millfield
    Tuesday, August 15th 2010
    Kick off 7.45pm
    Attendence: 132

MATCH SUMMARY

Crook town began their Norther league division one campaign with a comfortable home win over promotion candidates Whitley bay,

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Him, The other Guy
    WHITLEY BAY: None

As i could fill 90% of it out in advance and just grab the games as i play them fill them in and save them for the Monthly update, its just trying to get enough info in the match summary, when im not really a very good writer

if i decide which one to go with would a mod close my thread(When i ask! NOT YET!) and ill create a new thread and re do season 1 + season 2 in the same format and just stick to that format?

Last edited by acidmonkey; 26-02-2010 at 11:24.

Reserves

Personally, I like to spend my free time playing the game instead of writing up match reports.

Perhaps the lack of responses in my thread means the long seasonal updates is the wrong way to go. But it's the way I've always done it, and the way I'll probably keep going. I'm more likely to cur further down than to write even more tbh.

Youth Team

thats me but i also like to write a bit about the game as i play, which is why im stuggling to decide on the style,

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by acidmonkey View Post
    ideally id like to do a start of season (after friendlies + signings) update, a jan one, and an end of season one, but its trying to figure out how to do so it original and my own way, if you know what i mean, then there are regular updates, spaced far enough apart not for me to feel its impeeding my game, and anyone reading gets a decent review at how its going.
    This is how I do mine and how I prefer to read updates.

my other option would be these on a match by match basis:

CROOK TOWN 2
    WHITLEY BAY 0
    Millfield
    Tuesday, August 15th 2010
    Kick off 7.45pm
    Attendence: 132

MATCH SUMMARY

Crook town began their Norther league division one campaign with a comfortable home win over promotion candidates Whitley bay,

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN: Him, The other Guy
    WHITLEY BAY: None

As i could fill 90% of it out in advance and just grab the games as i play them fill them in and save them for the Monthly update, its just trying to get enough info in the match summary, when im not really a very good writer

if i decide which one to go with would a mod close my thread(When i ask! NOT YET!) and ill create a new thread and re do season 1 + season 2 in the same format and just stick to that format?

I agree with dafuge and in my opinion, this is far too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangaea View Post
    Personally, I like to spend my free time playing the game instead of writing up match reports.

Perhaps the lack of responses in my thread means the long seasonal updates is the wrong way to go. But it's the way I've always done it, and the way I'll probably keep going. I'm more likely to cur further down than to write even more tbh.
    My thoughts exactly. I prefer playing the game rather than spending just as much time producing write ups.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Raware View Post
    I prefer playing the game rather than spending just as much time producing write ups.
    Would it seriously take you as long to write 3-4 lines about each match in a given month as it would to play that month?

Reserves

I would hope there's room in this forum for people to write things out and present them in the way that they choose (within reason). Not everybody is going to like everyone's particular approach but I personally enjoy the more detailed threads and the match-by-match updates. I certainly enjoy writing mine that way.

I have a handful of people following, which I'm fine with. I have no great need of masses of followers. I'm just a bit anoraky and enjoy the detail.

Reserves

Hello Mike and Elrithral, thought I'd join you boys over here as we haven't spoken for a while.

It's all about the quick updates for me, but this is why I've decided to post my carrer in the anecdotes thread.

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Elrithral View Post
    Would it seriously take you as long to write 3-4 lines about each match in a given month as it would to play that month?
    Like I said...MY OPINION. I'm not going to argue the toss with you...again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike7077 View Post
    I would hope there's room in this forum for people to write things out and present them in the way that they choose (within reason). Not everybody is going to like everyone's particular approach but I personally enjoy the more detailed threads and the match-by-match updates. I certainly enjoy writing mine that way.

I have a handful of people following, which I'm fine with. I have no great need of masses of followers. I'm just a bit anoraky and enjoy the detail.
    This is why I wanted this forum created...to welcome all sorts of writing and threads. Other forums have strict rules and this provides an outlet for people who wish to do things differently. Like I said, I prefer writing and reading threads with 2 or 3 updates, but that's just me. You prefer writing and reading monthly updates which is just as acceptable. That's the beauty of this forum .

Youth Team

i dont mean every game post Raware, i was thinking more this:

BRANDON 1
    CROOK TOWN 2
    Welfare Ground, Durham
    Wednesday 12th August 2009
    Kick off 7.45pm
    Attendance: 190
    Northern League Division Two

MATCH SUMMARY

well we had the most possesion but we were outshot 7-3 most of Brandons shots coming from distance and in the last 5 or so minutes, we got lucky after the break as we took the league when Brandon defender Preston put through his own net but the goal was coming then and it was a deserved lead, on the hour it was all square as Brandon won and scored from the spot. only for Left winger Murray to clinch the win 4 minutes after the Equalizer and give us what i would say a slightly deserved victory as i think we just about edged it.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Own Goal, Jay Murray
    BRANDON: Hawksworth (Pen)

CROOK TOWN 3
    WHITEHAVEN 1
    The Millfield Ground, Crook
    Saturday 22nd August 2009
    Kick off 3.00pm
    Attendance: 224

MATCH SUMMARY

Well we went behind five minutes in as Howarth scored to give whitehaven a lead after that it was one way traffic but we took untill the 50th minute to get ourselves back into it when Rose stabbed home after a goal mouth scrable as we managed to to start gaining more momentum, and the result was more in our favour when Cooper managed to score from the edge of the area, at 2-1 and with 75mins gone i decided to try and protect the lead, and we sealed the win when we broke and Rose was hacked down in the area, Price stepped up to seal a 3-1 win in the 86th min from the spot.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Rose, Cooper, Price
    WHITEHAVEN: Howarth

THORNABY 0
    CROOK TOWN 1
    Teesdale Park, Durham
    Saturday 29th August 2009
    Kick off 3.00pm

MATCH SUMMARY

in a game we were expected to lose we managed to nick by sitting back and hoping for something on the break. and we were under heavy pressure from the start, but we survived till half time which im content with, and was hoping to get a draw but as thornaby pushed forward in the second half, we broke from a Thornaby corner and Abrhams managed to head home for a undeserved lead, we also had a fair number of scares in the second half and we were lucky to come away with the win:

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Abrahams
    Thornaby: None

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

League Table at end of August

But obviously Shorter Summeries of each game to allow me to write them as the game is processing
    Last edited by acidmonkey; 26-02-2010 at 14:37.

Semi Pro

i dont mean every game post Raware, i was thinking more this:

BRANDON 1
    CROOK TOWN 2
    Welfare Ground, Durham
    Wednesday 12th August 2009
    Kick off 7.45pm

MATCH SUMMARY

well we had the most possesion but we were outshot 7-3 most of Brandons shots coming from distance and in the last 5 or so minutes, we got lucky after the break as we took the league when Brandon defender Preston put through his own net but the goal was coming then and it was a deserved lead, on the hour it was all square as Brandon won and scored from the spot. only for Left winger Murray to clinch the win 4 minutes after the Equalizer and give us what i would say a slightly deserved victory as i think we just about edged it.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Own Goal, Jay Murray
    BRANDON: Hawksworth (Pen)

CROOK TOWN 3
    WHITEHAVEN 1
    The Millfield Ground, Crook
    Saturday 22nd August 2009
    Kick off 3.00pm
    Attendance: 224

MATCH SUMMARY

Well we went behind five minutes in as Howarth scored to give whitehaven a lead after that it was one way traffic but we took untill the 50th minute to get ourselves back into it when Rose stabbed home after a goal mouth scrable as we managed to to start gaining more momentum, and the result was more in our favour when Cooper managed to score from the edge of the area, at 2-1 and with 75mins gone i decided to try and protect the lead, and we sealed the win when we broke and Rose was hacked down in the area, Price stepped up to seal a 3-1 win in the 86th min from the spot.

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Rose, Cooper, Price
    WHITEHAVEN: Howarth

THORNABY 0
    CROOK TOWN 1
    Teesdale Park, Durham
    Saturday 29th August 2009
    Kick off 3.00pm

MATCH SUMMARY

in a game we were expected to lose we managed to nick by sitting back and hoping for something on the break. and we were under heavy pressure from the start, but we survived till half time which im content with, and was hoping to get a draw but as thornaby pushed forward in the second half, we broke from a Thornaby corner and Abrhams managed to head home for a undeserved lead, we also had a fair number of scares in the second half and we were lucky to come away with the win:

GOAL SCORERS

CROOK TOWN:
    Abrahams
    Thornaby: None

League Table at end of August

But obviously Shorter Summeries of each game to allow me to write them as the game is processing
    You can write it however you want acidmonkey. Which ever way you choose will be more than fine, it's whatever you feel most comfortable with. That's the great thing about this forum . I was just giving my two cents as everyone else has .

Youth Team

my other way for monthly updates:

Game 1
    Game 2
    Game 3

Brief thoughts on the month

League Table

Youth Team

i know Raware im just getting thoughs on what others think is the best way to go about monthly updates, see if theres something i can be bothered to do

otherwise its updates 3 times a season from me

Semi Pro

i know Raware im just getting thoughs on what others think is the best way to go about monthly updates, see if theres something i can be bothered to do

otherwise its updates 3 times a season from me
    My thoughts are : I prefer the 2 or 3 updates. The other option you posted would be a different approach. I know there's a thread on here that has a similar approach (my apologies, I can't remember whose off the top of my head ) but i'm not sure about how people feel about having to to click on a lot of links in a thread. Personally, I don't mind it...I know some prefer to see the screenshots in the thread so they can take a quick glance.

Youth Team

3 it is then

Youth Team

my other way for monthly updates:

Game 1
    Game 2
    Game 3

Brief thoughts on the month

League Table
    links dont work for me m8

Youth Team

Like I said...MY OPINION. I'm not going to argue the toss with you...again.
    Again?

Didn't realise it had to be an argument though, no chance for discussion, how very depressing.

Hi Chopster, how's the form lad?

Semi Pro

Again?

Didn't realise it had to be an argument though, no chance for discussion, how very depressing.

Yes, again. I seem to remember having a heated discussion about this forum when it was first set up and how I asked a geniune question about the continuation of your thread. It soon turned into 'arguing the toss' about this forum being nothing more than...how did you put it..."backslapping and well dones" not the discussion, as you phrased there, which I had hoped for. As you say, very depressing.

Youth Team

You bold "my opinion" in one post and then lament MY previous opinion of this forum in another and deem it not worthy of debate. How very peculiar.

Reserves

Again?

Not too bad mate. I'm getting to play a fair bit of '09 at the moment due to working from home, and I'm just looking for a decent section of the forums to have a bit of banter and discussion about the game on.

Youth Team

Not sure you'll get much discussion about the game anywhere FMS is a nice, talkative community.

Semi Pro

Your previous 'opinion' was a clear attempt to 'fuel the fire' of disagreement to a cause in which I was pretty adament about, which you knew. Funny how you stay around a forum in which you have an unfavouravble opinion about. That's peculiar.

This is fast becoming another slanging match between you and I and something i'm not willing, and to be honest, don't have the energy to pursue.

Remind me to place you back on my ignore list. I have no idea why I removed you .
    Last edited by Raware; 26-02-2010 at 15:24. Reason: spelling

Youth Team

I changed my opinion of it once a few users stopped posting, nothing peculiar, just moving with the times. It's no slanging match, just a conversation, sorry that you felt the need to drag it down to the depths of petty point scoring, I thought the conversation regards post length and update style might help acidmonkey.

Reserves
    Granada, Spain @GranadaCdeF_en & @HeathISF Editor: InsideSpanishFootball.com

Your previous 'opinion' was a clear attempt to 'fuel the fire' of disagreement to a cause in which I was pretty adament about, which you knew. Funny how you stay around a forum in which you have an unfavouravble opinion about. That's peculiar.

This is fast becoming another slanging match between you and I and something i'm not willing, and to be honest, don't have the energy to pursue.

Remind me to place you back on my ignore list. I have no idea why I removed you .
    I changed my opinion of it once a few users stopped posting, nothing peculiar, just moving with the times. It's no slanging match, just a conversation, sorry that you felt the need to drag it down to the depths of petty point scoring, I thought the conversation regards post length and update style might help acidmonkey.
    Perhaps agree to disagree then and leave it at that eh? No need to get petty. ;)

World Cup Winner

I'm the same, I like to put my time into playing the game rather than writing about it. During a normal working week I am pretty much restricted to weekends only, so I like to make sure I spend that time playing rather than writing, as that is what I enjoy more.

Saying that though, I do tend to be quite flexible. If I've had a busy transfer window I might do an extra update for that and international tournaments always get the 'match by match' treatment. My rule of thumb is to post things that I think others will be interested in, I doubt people would want to hear about my 2-0 league win over Everton in November.

That's not to say that there is anything wrong with doing it the other way, I think it is good that we have a variety of styles here. It would get a bit dull if we all had identical looking threads and updates. I would encourage people to choose their own style, please don't think there is a right and wrong way of doing it.

Reserves

I don't know how many people have looked at my thread but my posts take me half an hour at the very longest to write. I actually find that breaks up my playing time nicely because I don't like long sessions. I also find that writing the way I do helps me digest what's been happening.

What's worrying me now, though, is that my thread is somehow against the etiquette of the forum. It feels as if the place was set up for short, sharp updates and I don't like that. As I said before, and Raware seemed to concur with, can we not have space for different styles. I mean, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back.

I just feel the style I've adopted (which, incidentally, was inspired by my thorough enjoyment of Elrithral's thread) needs a little defending here. It may not be what some prefer to see because you don't get to find out instantly how I've been doing. But I do think it adds colour to a save and it gives you a real insight into every single twist and turn that the writer is going through. Personally I really like that. I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.

World Cup Winner

What's worrying me now, though, is that my thread is somehow against the etiquette of the forum. It feels as if the place was set up for short, sharp updates and I don't like that. As I said before, and Raware seemed to concur with, can we not have space for different styles. I mean, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back.

I just feel the style I've adopted (which, incidentally, was inspired by my thorough enjoyment of Elrithral's thread) needs a little defending here. It may not be what some prefer to see because you don't get to find out instantly how I've been doing. But I do think it adds colour to a save and it gives you a real insight into every single twist and turn that the writer is going through. Personally I really like that. I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.
    As I've mentioned, I think a variety of styles is good. I don't want this forum to become too rigid in the styles people use.

Reserves

I'll shut my big mouth then.

Reserves

Oh dear. I haven't been here for a whole week, and there's all this bickering!

Honesty, I really don't care how people write out their updates. Some can write their long updates, some can write short updates. Some prefer writing only end-of-season updates while others like writing monthly. The main thing is that: We all don't have to be the same!

TBH, I prefer the shorter updates more, just the matches and standings, and then a post with the latest news about my team, transfer grumblings, and such. Like a team 'beat' reporter. It doesn't take me that long and I even add my little bits to make a little interesting.
    • quick updates mean I don't have to spend forever writing
    • less time for writing = more time for playing!
    In other news, can someone save my game save. It's March and I don't see the new fixtures in the Chinese leagues (the season reset date is December 28) but there have been youth intakes. I'm asking this because the USL leagues in my career game do not simulate properly and all the players there don't play any games. It's going to ruin my career game if the Chinese players don't play any games.

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    Honesty, I really don't care how people write out their updates. Some can write their long updates, some can write short updates. Some prefer writing only end-of-season updates while others like writing monthly. The main thing is that: We all don't have to be the same!
    Brian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.
    The Crowd: Tell us! Tell us both of them!
    Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
    The Crowd: Yes! We're all individuals!
    Brian: You're all different!
    The Crowd: Yes, we ARE all different!
    Man in crowd: I'm not...
    The Crowd: Sch!

Sorry, couldn't help it

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post
    Brian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!

Sorry, couldn't help it
    daf! You gave me a chuckle. Good thing I didn't LOL at that in my lecture...

Anyone know how to save my career game?

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by dafuge View Post

Sorry, couldn't help it
    Python!! \o/

Youth Team

Just to chip in my tuppence on the updates debate: I go for monthly/bi-monthly updates mainly because (especially at the moment), my playing time is limited and it takes me forever to complete seasons. If I tried an end-of-season updates, I'd struggle to remember the start of the season and to post, I'd probably have to dig my thread up from somewhere near the bottom of the forum. ;)

Whatever the style/frequency, quality is what counts. To give a few examples (there are more of course), iacovone's monthly updtaes, rancer's game-by-game updates, crouchy's more detailed 'essays' () and raware's season reports are all well-written and good to read.

Sorry to hear about your fixture issues rancer. Did you find anything in the bugs forum about it?

Amateur

If I wanted to begin a Career Thread would this be an acceptable way of posting the all important links? Example Update:

Sat, 18.07.09 1860 Munchen 0-3 Liverpool (Pre-Season)

Pre-Season Review

------------------

Looking through a few threads people do not seem to post thumbnails so maybe this is not allowed. I am hampered though by not being able to link text to my pictures. I'm sure that I can do this (positive in fact) but imageshack does not seem to like the link button with the little green globe. Also something about 4 images being the maximum?

Line Ups Take three.. ffs lol.
    Last edited by OceanDean; 26-02-2010 at 22:07. Reason: Second attempt

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by OceanDean View Post
    If I wanted to begin a Career Thread would this be an acceptable way of posting the all important links? Example Update:

Sat, 18.07.09 1860 Munchen 0-3 Liverpool (Pre-Season)

Pre-Season Review

------------------

Looking through a few threads people do not seem to post thumbnails so maybe this is not allowed. I am hampered though by not being able to link text to my pictures. I'm sure that I can do this (positive in fact) but imageshack does not seem to like the link button with the little green globe. Also something about 4 images being the maximum?

Line Ups (link not valid, can someone please tell me why?
    Thumbnail image links are fine, although as you have already found out, there is a limit of 4 images per post which does restrict that method.

I don't use imageshack, but I'm guessing that you are using the direct image link that they provide, rather than the direct link. Maybe someone that is familiar with imageshack can help you on this one?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post

Anyone know how to save my career game?
    click the save button usually helps lol

Amateur

Quick switch to Photobucket..

Line Ups Test

WOOT!

Semi Pro

I hope there's a place for that kind of thing around here.
    I hope you don't feel that way Mike. Hopefully this forum caters for all kinds of threads. As you said, if you look in a thread and it's not for you, you don't have to keep going back. As dafuge mentioned, it would get a bit dull if we all had identical looking threads and updates .

Youth Team

well ive started writing update for each game as im playing that game, so ill see how that goes this season

Reserves

What I'd like to know is why certain people feel that it is up to them to try and dictate what should be considered a worthy career update? Why is it up to you? I can understand a moderator having these powers, but surely the rest of us are all equals round here?

First Team Squad Member

I don't understand why this debate even started I mean the whole idea of this place is for people to post updates as they see fit without too many restrictions. Monthly, weekly, match by match, yearly or every ten years it doesn't matter. That's the whole point of this place isn't it?

Youth Team
    Irish people like football, they just dont like Irish football

Cant we all just get along ? ( and read my bloody thread so it isnt just me and Nobby )

Youth Team

awww do i have too

Youth Team

awww do i have too

Its just getting good

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeeD View Post
    crouchy's more detailed 'essays'
    We all know that detailed essays are the way forward.

On a serious note, my opinion is that it doesn't really matter, as long as the writer succeeds in getting us interested in their career!

Personally, I love the monthly update format and that's what I've ended up doing in my thread. I've tried to use some embedded pictures and used text tables and stuff to make it look interesting and to provide a 'quick glance' for those who aren't too interested in reading my essays. ;)

I don't think it takes too long to write out a monthly report actually. I think you only need the scoreline, what the match was for (league or cup), a couple of lines indicating how it went (and this can be very informal and to the point) and then some details about the scorers. You can cut back on some of this by using screenshots. Really, it doesn't take much longer for me to write my monthly update than it does for me to write a post like this.

I find that I tend to connect better with more regular updates because I get to know the challenges the manager is having, their favourite players and so on and so forth. I tend to use repetitive adjectives in the Homeric style to, hopefully, make my players stick out for the reader (e.g. like deep-lying playmaker Daniel Philiskirk, 'the next Pirlo' Davide Vangi, or legendary journeyman striker Umberto Eusepi ). For me, adding a bit of life to the career is the key. That's why I quite like posting the pictures as well and trying to create an atmosphere in my thread.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I think it's clear that we all have different views and that all approaches are welcome.

And look, it's another essay from Crouchaldinho.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by MeLikeFM View Post
    Cant we all just get along ? ( and read my bloody thread so it isnt just me and Nobby )
    I read your thread. For some reason I never seem to comment. Probably goes I usually view it at work.

I read your thread. For some reason I never seem to comment. Probably goes I usually view it at work.
    Changing the topic, does anyone else find that they can't think of things to comment. I read quite a lot of the threads on here and have them bookmarked but on some of them, I rarely comment.

I don't want to put 'KUTGW' or whatever because I know that is frowned upon and is one of the forum rules. But at the same time, sometimes I can't think of what to say and I haven't got any questions to ask them at the time, however I sort of want to post 'hey, I'm reading this but can't think of what to say right now!'

Anyone understand what I mean?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by crouchaldinho View Post
    Changing the topic, does anyone else find that they can't think of things to comment. I read quite a lot of the threads on here and have them bookmarked but on some of them, I rarely comment.

I don't want to put 'KUTGW' or whatever because I know that is frowned upon and is one of the forum rules. But at the same time, sometimes I can't think of what to say and I haven't got any questions to ask them at the time, however I sort of want to post 'hey, I'm reading this but can't think of what to say right now!'

Ye I am the same but if I find I have been reading something for a while without commenting then I will say " really enjoying this, KUTGW " or something like that.

Yes, maybe it would be acceptable to write that once in a while, as long as you're not doing it all of the time. Perhaps that's what I'll do from now on when I can't think what to say but want to give encouragement etc.

Youth Team

Yes, maybe it would be acceptable to write that once in a while, as long as you're not doing it all of the time. Perhaps that's what I'll do from now on when I can't think what to say but want to give encouragement etc.
    I know that I really appreciate comments and they give me a boost knowing people are enjoying it.

Semi Pro
    Wishing he was at Fenway Park watching his beloved Red Sox

I know I enjoy having the comments there. It lets me know that people are reading and that there is a point to updating my career.

Amateur

I know what you mean. I read the majority of threads every so often but like you say sometimes there isn't really anything I want to ask/find out, I just find it interesting to read and see how the different games are going etc. I guess I'm more a silent reader but I can see how receiving comments can add extra enthusiasm for you to continue playing/updating so I do comment occasionally depending on mood.

Semi Pro

What I'd like to know is why certain people feel that it is up to them to try and dictate what should be considered a worthy career update? Why is it up to you? I can understand a moderator having these powers, but surely the rest of us are all equals round here?
    I think so too. There is no right or wrong way to post a career update. Obviously people have their own preference in how to read/write updates but this should in no way dictate to others how theirs should be presented.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidBurn View Post
    I don't understand why this debate even started I mean the whole idea of this place is for people to post updates as they see fit without too many restrictions. Monthly, weekly, match by match, yearly or every ten years it doesn't matter. That's the whole point of this place isn't it?
    That is the point of this place and I totally agree with your points. As you know, this debate started with acidmonkey asking how his new thread should be presented, just to give him an idea of all possible avenues. It's when people start to impose their preference in a dictating manner which is what annoys me. No way is better than an another...just what people prefer.

Youth Team

but what to people prefer reading? Matchly? Monthly? End of Season?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by jackripper View Post

That was exatly the reason why i asked, not to start an argument

World Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jackripper View Post
    It looks like people like a variety of styles, there isn't a 'best way' of doing it.

I would go with whatever you feel comfortable writing, but I think the speed you play at is also a factor. I tend to play very quickly, completing a couple of seasons a week on average, usually compacted into the weekends/holidays. For me, an annual update is regular enough as I will be doing at least one a week, sometimes more. For those who play slowly and more regularly, a monthly update may be much more appropriate.

Youth Team

im in your scenario where i play it a lot but i might refer to month to month updates on my next save

Reserves

I concur with not always having something to say. And also that it's encouraging to see comments in your thread. It's nice to know that somebody else are following it, otherwise it's basically just writing for the sake of writing. Though I have found it fun to read my own earlier updates too, as it takes me back to how it was playing those saves.

Wasn't the KUTGW rule taken out of the forum btw? I seem to remember reading the updated rules and that one was gone.
    /goes to re-read the rules.

World Cup Winner

Wasn't the KUTGW rule taken out of the forum btw? I seem to remember reading the updated rules and that one was gone.
    /goes to re-read the rules.
    I took it out.

When we set up the forum we were a little concerned that people would use it as place to spam and boost post counts, which just hasn't happened. I'm all for encouraging people posting in other people's threads, it is often nice to know which people are reading.

Semi Pro
    And here's to you, Jimmy Gannon, Stockport loves you more than you will know!

I prefer monthly, I do monthly

I don't think it takes too long to write up a monthly report

My updates are OK i think

Competition Type: Score (Scorers)
    1 or 2 lines describing the game, or more for a big game like play offs or cup finals

e.g

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Ashington AFC (Cook, Lucketti)
    Well, we've finally won a league game, but it was still a shaky performance against very poor opponents, and it's not looking too good for the future. We're 6th in the league, but still have more chance of going down than up if we continue to play like this

Seems to work well enough, and get regular enough updates to keep people interested

Amateur

I do monthly, I've got a format that I feel comfortable with. I do try to make it presentable as possible, with colours, bold etc. but like others say, it's all about the actual game

I wouldn't mind some "KUTGW" comments, the only comments I've had are people accusing me of cheating! ;)

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by ism-scfc View Post
    I prefer monthly, I do monthly

I don't think it takes too long to write up a monthly report

My updates are OK i think

Competition Type: Score (Scorers)
    1 or 2 lines describing the game, or more for a big game like play offs or cup finals

e.g

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Ashington AFC (Cook, Lucketti)
    Well, we've finally won a league game, but it was still a shaky performance against very poor opponents, and it's not looking too good for the future. We're 6th in the league, but still have more chance of going down than up if we continue to play like this

Seems to work well enough, and get regular enough updates to keep people interested

yup ive pretty much ripped you off regarding the layout i dont name scorers though

Youth Team

how do you put colours in?

Youth Team

highlight the text and hit the button that is a letter with a coloured bar underneath it (defaulted as black)

Youth Team

where is that button lol

Youth Team

ok when you look at the quick reply box its 5 in from the left

Semi Pro

This is my first post in the Careers forum. I'm starting up a proper career save for the first time (I've been waiting for 10.3) so I thought I'd chip in with my thoughts on the 'how often to update' debate.

I've been reading a few of the threads in the Stories forum and really like the style that Faramir uses - I may have to pinch it but cut down the entries to maybe three reports per season: The end of Pre-season, sometime in January (end of transfer window/winter-break), End of season report. Hopefully that way it will remain interesting to the viewer and convey the sense of progress, without being too bogged down in uneccessary detail.

I hope my effort won't be too noobish! I just need to get on with playing the game now!

(I've started the save to the point of being given a job and the Gods of Footballing Fate have landed me at FC Blied in the Division 3B of the Belgian Leagues. Wish me luck - first real career save, first career write up.)

Youth Team

get the ink on the page mate or should i say finger to the keyboard.

Amateur

Just out of curiosity, have I got any followers? ;)

Amateur

I think i dived into my first attempt at a write up too fast

Youth Team

i read virrtually all of them so i follow

Semi Pro
    Gundo's FM14 European Adventure Challenge™ (CSE Forum)

I have a question... As I'm new to these journeyman type saves, I would like to know how job offers work or your chances of getting certain jobs. Is it purely on a reputation bases? So as an example if I was managing a club in the Norwegian second tier (rep. 9) would I have a chance of getting a job in the English League Two (rep. 8) for instance? I know many other factors are taken into account of course, just that I wanted to get an idea of the jobs I can realistically apply for in my save.

Cheers.

Youth Team

I think luck may play a role. After leaving Tai Po in Hong Kong, I was laughed off by a couple of teams in India and the 2nd tier in China before landing a job in the Argentine 2nd Division. A chairman willing to give you a break is always useful!

Youth Team

After a crazy week of work and study, I may actually get time for some FM tonight! Question is: should I download 10.3 while I have my dinner? Or just leave it as is? Have there been major ME changes? I only ask as I wouldn't want to find my tactics suddenly stop working mid-season (not that they were doing that great anyway! )

Charlton Athletic Researcher

10.3.0 did the opposite for me, started playing really well (as explained in my thread). So well that we won the league.

I think it's worth getting, not had any problems with it myself.

World Cup Winner

Unless your tactics were based around exploiting the ME, you shouldn't really noticed too much of a difference. I think the ME does look a lot better though.

The only thing I've really noticed is the distribution of goals amongst my team is different, but that could just be down to changes in players.

Youth Team

Given the run of defeats I had in my last playing session, I'd say the ME was exploiting my tactics more than the other way round.

I'll download it I think - mainşy because I always like to have the latest patch more than anything else. Plus, at some point I will start a new game with the 10.3 update ;)

Semi Pro

I downloaded 10.3 'cause I had to as my save was experienceing crash dumps and I couldn't get past a certain date. 10.3 sorted that out. I have noticed an improvement with the ME and that is pleasing but there are issues I have with it, those being : Contract offers : I offered my existing players some new contracts and a few of them wanted less than what they were already on e.g. my striker, Charlie Sheringham was on £750 p/w, new contract offer he wanted £375 p/w. Not that i'm complaining and

Injuries : The reason I stopped playing FM09 was due to the unbelievable amount of injuries I had in 9.3. For me, 10.3 has similar problems and i'm experiencing 4-5 injuries per game. This for me is a game breaker but i'll persist with it for a while as i'm only halfway through a season. If it continues though I'll have no choice but to knock FM10 and probably the FM series on the head .

Hopefully you have more luck DodgeeD with 10.3.
    Last edited by Raware; 08-03-2010 at 06:01.

Third Team

I am enjoying 10.3, it's a struggle and there are a lot of deflections leading to opposition goals.

I'm wondering if my thread needs some pics or if it's good enough for just text?

Amateur

10.3 has brought injury after injury for me i dont think ive had a point this season im in without an injury

Amateur

10.3 has improved the ME leaps and bounds. At first my defensive setup didn't work as well, but after a bit of tinkering and our keeper making some 4 or 5 top notch performances I managed to sort it out.

What I've enjoyed the best is complacency kicking in big time in our last ten league matches as we neared the end of our domestically unbeaten season. By the end of it they played complacent even against Olympique Marseille Get Stuck in! Press More! It's been an exciting and nerve wrecking end of a season here

Banned

For me season or half season updates are the only ones i read, Pre-season and end of season with maybe a short January update. i follow a few threads, but I'm interested mainly in your signings, where u finished and your goals and if you achieved them, I dont really wanna read through 40 match reports of someones save i dont see the interest there, good season updates for me. Is it possible to use that code you all use for history and achievements? and where is it
    Last edited by Fountain of youth; 13-03-2010 at 07:52.

Semi Pro

You mean this?
    Code:
    Acheivements...
    Just type [code*]...then what you want to write, then [/code*] (minus the *'s)

Banned

Thanks m8

Third Team

I take it the game by game style isn't very popular?

Youth Team

some people not keen others are, you write it how you want to i suppose and if people want to read they will otherwise they wont

Semi Pro

some people not keen others are, you write it how you want to i suppose and if people want to read they will otherwise they wont
    Perfectly summed up

Youth Team

i learnt off when i asked and it turned into a war lol

Semi Pro

Lol, I just didn't want someone else's opinion forced on to me that was all. As you say, this forum caters for all different kinds of styles.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Deisler26 View Post
    I take it the game by game style isn't very popular?
    Fraid so, i've had private discussions with a couple of people who have been put off using CU because of certain users attitudes and they told me that they were considering giving up their update. Unfortunately, sicne then, they have, but it's not for me to point the finger of blame.

It's especially disappointing considering the fact that said threads were 6th and 7th most viewed active updates, so it was obvious that the negative opinions of thsoe types of threads were in the minority. Just goes to show how bullying and negativity can affect a forum.
    Last edited by Elrithral; 15-03-2010 at 09:20.

Youth Team

Whats "certain" users attitudes got to do with anything hes asking if the game by game stlye is worth doing?

Deisler26 post however you feel comfortable posting, which ever way it enhances the enjoyment of the game. If people are going to read it, it doesnt matter what style its in, personally i read alot of other peoples threads and its varies from the game by game to the end of season posts only. if people find it intresting enough they will read it

Youth Team

Whats "certain" users attitudes got to do with anything hes asking if the game by game stlye is worth doing?
    You don't think people's attitudes towards a certain style have anything to do with the opinion of a certain style i.e. whether it is popular or not? The fact that people who used that style gave up and questioned whether they should continue using it or not is perfectly pertinent to a discussion on whether or not said style is frowned upon and seems to indicate that it is frowned upon.

Youth Team

No i dont, as there are successfull threads featuring both styles. and people should be writing it for their own enjoyment not for the benefit of others to read.
    As has been said before if its intresting enough people WILL read it regardless of style

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 59 ... LastLast