[FM09] ATLETICO PARANAENSE - The Youth System Thread

WELCOME TO ATLETICO PARANAENSE

120px-Atletico_Paranaense_logo_svg.jpg

The Arena da Baixada

aerea02.jpg

untitled2-1.jpg

EDIT: this is a pure youth system save. Please see post #72.

Please let me welcome you to Atletico Paranaense. I hope this becomes a nice read, especially for those of you who haven't experienced club football in Brazil. The thread is not intended as a club guide, merely a record of the clubs path with me at the helm; however, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the club, or my save in general. I'll start by answering a few elementary questions in advance.

Why Brazil? - have you seen the female supporters here?!?! Seriously, I was bored with Europe. That doesn't mean Europe's not good, or I don't like it. Just that I've never played anywhere else and wanted a big change. So many of the club names conjur up pictures in my imagination and I want to experience what the country and continent has to offer.

Aren't the state championships boring? - many people find that. If you play a one dimensional game with a strong club you might too. However, these championships mean a lot to the supporters and you have a duty to them to do as well as you can. In addition, you can qualify for the national cup competition through the state games, so you don't want to chance things by not taking them seriously. My intention is to use these games, which happen before the national league, to evaluate youths I've produced and had out on loan to see if they can contribute to my first team. I won't be doing that at the expense of results though. It's important to keep a competitive team during this period, for reasons I'll mention in the next question...........

Is there a South American Champions League? - yes, there is; it's called the Copa Libertadores. This runs in the first half of your season, at the same time as your state championships. So, you need a team ready to hit the ground running - you can't use the state games exclusively as 'warm-up' matches! There's also the Copa Sudamericana and that's kind of like Europes UEFA/Europa Cup, and it's played in the second half of the season while the National league is being played.

Why Atletico? - I want a club where I have to create things in my own image to be successful; I don't want to step into a big club that challenges for honours straight away. Atletico are ranked around 11th-15th in the National so can be regarded as a fringe club. They have a modest stadium (25000) and a good set-up regarding facilities and affiliated clubs. As well as all that important stuff, I just like their colours and badge!

Don't your players leave for Europe all the time? - Unfortunately, yes, you will have to fight to keep some of your players; or if they're bent on leaving, to get the best deal you can. This is something you'll have to live with, it's up to you how you deal with it. My intention is to replenish with players from the youth ranks; maybe with bigger clubs you could just replace with players who are already good enough.

Are Brazilian clubs rich? - with European teams stealing your players you'd think so. But the reality is no, you're not rich. Most clubs have a lack of resources, and it's probably advisable to invest in players for the future. Bear in mind, you're only allowed three non-Brazilians, so really you won't be signing many players from outside the country.

I've scratched the surface here regarding the club set-up in Brazil; I'll go into more detail as we progress the save. Let me just say that, so far, the save has caught my imagination with football in that country, and sparked my interest in finding out more. If you've never managed there you should at least give it a fair try.

For my game I've used an edited database, from 9.2. All Brazilian clubs have had there debt removed, s. American clubs with a reputation of 6000 or more have no debt too, and I've changed Atleticos kits and the format of their name. I wanted the debt removed because the AI is poor enough in the transfer market, I thought them having a bit more to spend might at least help a bit. And for fairness, the clubs we might might in continental competition hav a clean slate.

I have around 35 DDTs loaded to keep the international scene lively. And a medium database should be sufficient. I have Brazil loaded down to division three, although only the top one will be on full-detail.

A bit more about Atletico

AtlticoParanaense-3.jpg

As you can see, Atletico don't have as many national titles as other clubs; they do however have a good record in the State Championship, competing successfully and regularly with Coritiba and Parana Club.

Here you'll see an overview of the club and where we figure in the big picture of Brazil.

Brazil.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled.jpg

And our affiliates. Luckily we already have a commercial link, although it might be a few seasons before it pays off. Two of them are in the top division (Nautico and Figueirense) and another (ABC) is in the second - they should all be useful.

AtlticoParanaense1-3.jpg

I'll end by saying I don't intend detailed match reports - simply because they cut down my playing time. Some people like reading/writing those, but I'm afraid i like to keep it simple.

So I intend monthly updates, with some comments on important or interesting matches. I hope that suits people and the thread is interesting enough without being too fussy.

cooooool, look forward to reading
FM Stories isn't for career updates, there is no forum for careers at the moment. (See this thread)

Nice start Notwordsbutdeeds, will be following this :thup:

Thank you for the positive input chaps.

I want to say again how much I'm enjoying my first try in South America. I know both of you are 'old hands' and have probably tried it already - but if you haven't you really should :thup:

Are you a moderator? If yes - could you please move the thread to an appropriate forum? If not, you might want to direct your enquiries to someone who is. Thank you.

No I'm not a moderator. It seems there isn't a forum for this (see below) so good luck with your save and I hope you enjoy documenting it.

FM Stories isn't for career updates, there is no forum for careers at the moment. (See this thread)

Nice start Notwordsbutdeeds, will be following this :thup:

Fair enough I was just asking. I'm now a bit confused to what the stories forum is for?!

Fair enough I was just asking. I'm now a bit confused to what the stories forum is for?!

It's purely for story writing, nothing else really. If you were to go in there and post screenshots as the OP has, your thread would be good as closed

so good luck with your save and I hope you enjoy documenting it.

Thank you :thup:

I'm now a bit confused to what the stories forum is for?!

It's really for people who enjoy living their save in the first/third (I can never remember :o) person, and creating some characters around that - a fiction, but based around their actual save.

The threads in there are really good. Myself and others are either just not up to that standard, or don't have the time to commit to something like that.

Good luck on your own save/s.

To be honest, if you cut out the screenshots this could fit into FMS. It isn't "Rob Ridgway's Rat Pack", but it (and the United one) isn't/aren't far off this:

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=128924

And especially this, which is probabaly what you're aiming for (Terk even says so):

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=122402

Just to post what I posted in the Brazilian football thread:

-----------

Atlético Paranaense is NEVER called Paranaense

True, I didn't see that (I only had a quick view).

It's either Atlético Paranaense, or Atlético-PR for short.

In Paraná they call it just Atlético.

By the way, by doing well in the state league, you qualify for the Brazilian Cup, so that's another reason to take it very seriously.

I also don't agree with this part as you are playing down the state leagues:

As you can see, the trophy cabinet has plenty space for additions. The last, and only, title win was 2001, although there's been a few recent successes in the State.

And this is a stereotype:

So I intend monthly updates, with some comments on important or interesting matches. I hope that suits people and we all have fun in the Brazilian sun

And doesn't fit well in Curitiba.

-----------

But overall it's well-written and have relatively few mistakes.

Just to post what I posted in the Brazilian football thread:

It's either Atlético Paranaense, or Atlético-PR for short.

Sorted.

By the way, by doing well in the state league, you qualify for the Brazilian Cup, so that's another reason to take it very seriously.

Sorted.

I also don't agree with this part as you are playing down the state leagues

Sorry, I'll change that.

And this is a stereotype

And doesn't fit well in Curitiba.

I apologise, I'll change that too.

But overall it's well-written and have relatively few mistakes.

Thanks for your expert input :thup:

Nice to see you got your priorities right when choosing a club :thup:

:cool:

Nice work NotWordsButDeeds but should this not be in GPTG?

Well it's not intended as a team guide, because I won't be discussing players really. And I'll be continuing for a lot longer than a season, at which point it would really fail to be a team guide.

Hope that makes sense mate.

This is my proposed team and formation for this season, injuries and suspensions not withstanding.

AtlticoParanaense.jpg

The state championship provided no shocks really. In the first phase (15 games) we soundly beat rivals Pirana 2-0 at their ground, and just failed 0-1 away to Coritiba. It was a close run thing, but Coritiba deserved to top the table.

BrazilianParanStateChampionship.jpg

My first game in the dugout for Atletico. It's always nice to get a winning start.

firstmatchAtlticoPRvRioBrancoPR.jpg

The points system for the 2nd phase deserves mention - the team winning the 1st phase merits 2 bonus points in the new league, and the runner-up gets 1 point. Coritiba defied us by 1 point - their difference in the bonuses! Although without that point they'd still have won on goal difference, with both of us being equal on the first criteria of games won. Again, we were away to them in this phase too, with us having the better of the match without being any more lethal in front of goal. So another close run thing - maybe next year.

BrazilianParanStateChampionship-2.jpg

Whilst those championships were going on we had the Brazilian cup too. Confianca were beaten 2-0 to set-up a 2nd round tie with......you've guessed it - Coritiba! They beat us 2-1 over the two legs, but I have to say they were fortunate to do so.

Good luck, please dont turn this into a story.

If you read the one posted by the guy who is Havnt and waterloville, he is commenting in too much detail just for a carrear and he is making it a story

I had to come up somwhere :D

KUTGW NotWordsButDeeds this is good

Excellent work NotWordsButDeeds :thup: Very impressive, i shall be following this too :thup:

Just to clarify - There isn't a place currently for people to post about their careers. As already stated if this was to be posted in FMS it would be as good as closed and if it was posted in GPTG it would suffer a similar fate as it's tracking the life of a members career at a club(s) and isn't a guide as such. As for posting in the FM09 thread...good question. The only conclusion is that the thread isn't in a format in which people like to post in. I.E. Posted with other members careers in which their update becomes lost in between everyone else's...i presume that is your reason NotWordsButDeeds? It's good to see so many people following up their desire for a new careers forum by posting their careers. Maybe if a place was created (and the need seems to be there) then people wouldn't be posting "shouldn't this be in there...or shouldn't this be in here" comments.

Sorry, to go on in your career thread :thdn: Keep up the good work :thup:

Great start NWBD :thup: its good that each of the career threads follow a different style too.

Yep Me with my match to match coverage, NotWordsButDeeds Latin charm and Hursty's ability to make my thread look bad.

P.S I think a new career thread has popped up in FMH General Discussion.:eek: I shall check it out now.

I had to come up somwhere :D

You took the initiative on this forum so it was inevitable :(

But like I said earlier, everyone takes enjoyment from different styles - reading and writing them. Nobody is right or wrong, and we do what pleases us the most.

BTW I like the way the stadium is set out :thup:

Do you mean the picture? It looks strange to me at the moment. I think it's like that because it's getting reconstructed for the World Cup - expanded from 25k to around 40-45k. Apparently it's one of the most modern in South America - but I have to say, despite the running track, I like the look of Botafogos ground, the Engenhao.

May 08

The start of the Brasiliero! Looking at the fixtures, I was hoping/expecting for 7 points in the three matches this months - I was to be disappointed :(

We started well enough -

firstleaguegameAtlticoPRvFigueirens.jpg

a home win against one of our affiliates (no brown envelopes changed hands, honest!).

Next up a familiar face - Coritiba. Another close derby match ended in defeat. Followed by an unexciting draw against Goias.

AtlticoParanaense-2-3.jpg

I should mention that I use some LLM rules. Regarding transfers, I don't use player search or peek at profiles, and I use the job centre to find staff. The only profile I may look at is someone IRL who I'm interested in, but I have no hope/intention of signing. For example, I may look at Balotelli just to see how he's getting on in the gameworld. I think that doesn't compromise things because there's no way I'd hope to sign him.

I'd like to say to people who may be considering a Brazil game that you'll need to be aware of the financial set-up in the first season.

Be prepared to lose money, even without signing players. Balances are not too healthy when you start, and wages will soon eat away at them. I think Atletico started with around £500k and after the state games we were down to -£46k. After around a dozen games in the national we're at -£500k. I expect to generate around £3.2m in gates for the year, while my wages will run to £5.2m.

So, be prepared for this. You'll really need to wait to season two, when you'll see the impact of TV and sponsorship deals, before you return to a healthy financial state (and can start to make signings). This aspect didn't really bother me, as I never make many changes in personnel when I join a club; this season I've not signed anyone.

Copa Sudamericana - out of the blue I've noticed we're in continental competition this year! I think it wasn't in the club info because the tournament doesn't start until the second half the season. Either way it was a nice surprise.

I'm not sure of gates, prizes, and TV money for the Sudamericana - but it certainly won't do any harm to my finances!

June 08

After an uninspiring start, June looked like holding some tough matches in store, including Flamengo, Sao Paolo and Gremio! From the five matches to be played I though 4 points might be the outcome.

We kicked off the month away to Sao Paolo, who soundly beat us 0-2 - the pain begins! A 1-0 victory against Atletico Miniero in the next match lifted spirits, enough to see us draw 0-0 away to Flamengo in a close game.

The fourth game of the month seen us take a two goal lead on Gremio, only for them to equalise in injury time. And lastly, if a team can ever be lucky to win 3-0 - it was Santos! To be fair, a draw would have been the right result.

But, a couple of heartening results nevertheless. And we did OK to collect 5 points. Onwards and upwards, as they say.

AtlticoParanaense-2-4.jpg

July 08

After a mediocre showing in last months Brasiliero matches I was hoping for better consistency from the team. And in the four July matches I was looking for a few draws at least. In the end, I was to be pleasantly surprised.

In the opening match at Vitoria, we went down 1-2. This was disappointing, because if we're to perform to a reasonable standard this is the type of team we'll need to compete with. Gladly, better was to come.

AtlticoPRvVasco.jpg

OK, Vasco did only return to the top flight this season - but they're still a major player in the league. And another couple of goals from Aquino, who is fast becoming first choice striker, replacing Oldoni in my considerations.

comebackwinPalmeirasvAtlticoPR.jpg

The best result yet!! Palmeiras are a one of the top teams in the country. And not only did we beat them, but we did it away from home coming back from a goal down. A real shock result.

And we wrapped up July with an exciting 2-2 draw, at home to Botafogo. So, all things condiered, a good month - taking 7 points from a few tricky fixtures. Shouldn't be long until the Copa Sudamericana starts now.

AtlticoParanaense5.jpg

August 08

A busy month ahead! Starting with a bizarre match against Sport. A hat-trick (of sorts) for Netinho. He scored an own goal, then another couple in the correct net to win the game and collect the Man Of The Match award! And the Sport manager was sacked right after the match!

SportRecifevAtlticoPR.jpg

Next up, against Portuguesa, we threw away a two goal lead to finish with a draw. With around 15 minutes to go we received an injury with no substitutes left, so that didn't help with the late equaliser. Again, away to Cruzeiro, we got a draw because of another late equaliser when wwe were ahead - this would have been a good victory too.

Internacional away was another tough fixture. We were one down, but Oldoni (stepping in for a rested Aquino) bagged two to snatch the victory. Followed up by a home match against second placed Fluminense; that ended 0-0.

The draw for the Sudamericana threw up a few interesting ties. We got Palmeiras! Vasco have a Rio tie with Botafogo, Atletico Miniero drew Gremio, and Internacional got Sao Paolo.

Our home match with Nautico (another affiliate) resulted in an easy two goal victory. The next league fixture was exciting. We had the chance of going 7th in the league if we won against lowly Figueirense. They started well though and took the lead, only for us to go 2-1 up; but we conceded another late equaliser and held 10th spot.

The first leg of the Sudamericana gave us a lucky two goal lead to take back to our own ground next month.

PalmeirasvAtlticoPR.jpg

AtlticoParanaense-1.jpg

At the half-way point in the Brasiliero, I think we're performing above our level. The press certainly think so, as they predicted 13th for us. So I'm delighted with how things are going at this stage, and to be honest I'd still be happy even if we dropped a few places in the standings.

BrazilianNationalFirstDivision.jpg

Good luck to everyone :thup:

With hindsight, after showing the league table, I thought it might be advisable to do a brief summary of the contenders in Brazilian football.

It's A Competitive League!

One of the things that appealed to me about Brazilian club football is it's just so competitive. Since 2000, 6 different clubs have won the title and another 3 have been r/u. If we compare that to England - they've had 3 different winners and another r/u. So that should make for an interesting game, with different teams challenging, and more of them for you to beat to become successful. Taking the division as a whole, I think there's even more contenders. Because if we go back to 1995, there's actually 12 different teams been in the top two - and I think that's a better reflection on how many teams could win it.

The national cup reinforces this. Albeit a rule may aid this - whoever wins the cup can't play in it the following year. This may give false indicators over a 2 or 3 year period, but over 10-15 years it definately doesn't. So in the cup, over the last 10 years, there's been 8 different winners and another 5 different runners up.

This is purely my personal opinion, but the teams who are or could be contenders are Sao Paolo, Corinthians, Flamengo, Palmeiras, Vasco, Internacional, Gremio, Santos, Fluminense, Botafogo and Cruzeiro (11). And those just behind are Atletico MG, Atletico PR, Coritiba and Sport.

So, if you consider the 3 foreigner rule, moderate (at best) finances, and a continuous player exodus to Europe, you can see how difficult it could be to dominate the league.

Its a good thread this one

Thanks mate.

its your career game and a history lesson in one:D

LOL

Because S. American football is alien to me I'm finding it all really interesting. And I'm guessing there's a few more Brits/Europeans like that too - so I thought some background stuff would be good.

I've just started unemployed and got the Gama job. Brazilian Second Division...It's harder than I thought! 0-1-2 is my record so far! So I'll be following this closely to see how you do! :thup:

Did you edit them into the 2nd division to reflect real life, or did you start in December 08? I started in December 07 and there in Serie A - it's Corinthians who are in B. There's some decent sides in there - but I hope you stick with them, there a famous club. Good luck.

Brazil seems to be popular among managers these days. A very impressive thread indeed NotWordsButDeeds and I hope your Copa Sudmerica run can continue! :thup:

In a couple of words - it didn't :( but more about that later. I'd obviously rather be in it, but I'm not too bothered, as it was a surprise to be included in the first place, and it'll place less demands on my squad.

Yeah, it's maybe popular because the whole set-up is totally different from Europe, where people normally play.

Good luck to you too Sax.

Did you edit them into the 2nd division to reflect real life, or did you start in December 08? I started in December 07 and there in Serie A - it's Corinthians who are in B. There's some decent sides in there - but I hope you stick with them, there a famous club. Good luck.

No, I started in July 08! As I wanted to start unemplyoed...So am 10 games into the season already! I didn't realise they were so famous? They have only ever won State Championships? Either way, I'm relegation cadidates this season...Corinthians are in my league as well.

No, I started in July 08! As I wanted to start unemplyoed...So am 10 games into the season already! I didn't realise they were so famous? They have only ever won State Championships? Either way, I'm relegation cadidates this season...Corinthians are in my league as well.

They've won 5 national titles and a Libertadores amongst other things!

Hmmm....I don't understand that, especially with Corinthians being in the same league. Last season Corinthians were in Serie B, and this year it's Vasco with Corinthians back in the top tier (and doing well in 5th).

September 08

September.......promised so much, after a successful August, but delivered little.

Ipatinga away was a sign of things to come; 1-1 with them scoring a late equaliser - has anyone else noticed a pattern forming here?!?

Then we had old foes Coritiba visiting the Baixada. They conducted a smash and grab (well 3 of them!) and I was 3 behind without hardly being out of there penalty box! I had 'a little word' with the lads at half-time and made a few tactical changes. To my surprise they came back to snatch a draw, with Netinho making all three of them and winning Man Of The Match! But a point was really more than Coritiba deserved.

AtlticoPRvCoritiba.jpg

The return leg of the Sudamericana with Palmeiras was quite painful. They soundly beat us 0-3, to go through 2-3 on aggregate. I can have no complaints overall with that one.

Goias (away) was next, and it produced a dull 0-0. Followed by more of the same against Sao Paolo; another dull 0-0. Then Flamengo dealt us a blow - they got a lucky goal whilst we were battering their goal without breaking through. So their one goal victory and a terrific run of 15 games unbeaten in the league for us. We ended the month with a decent performance away to Atletico Miniero, taking all 3 points.

To be honest, it wasn't a terrible month - it could just have been better with a bit of luck. And we did struggle with injuries too. So I should really be satisfied.

AtlticoParanaense-2.jpg

Archived