Age that players decline

Been discussed a squillion times and loads of thrads about it already, but for me I usually start to get rid at 31. Think this might be a bit overhyped though as I also had Mexes as a star CB until he was 35, his pace etc had declined but he was still excellent.

When does a player decline? 31-34, generally. When do I get rid? 28+ usually, depending on how the contract falls. Around that age, players generally want 4/5 year contracts. While a 30 year old star might be worth £100k/week, it's highly unlikely to be economic in his 35th year.

The key is the economics of it all. They may still be a star at 35 but you'll get nothing for them, whereas if you sell them at 30 you get 10 million or more to go and get an equally good replacement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">anyone keep people on so they can sign them as coaches? or move them to reserves later on/train youngsters? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeash I did this with Man United. I put Scholes, Giggs, Neville & Van der Sar all in the reserves with the intention of keeping them for emergencies, european experience and tutoring the youngsters. I think Van der Sar will be retiring soon because he's now 39 in my game.

Archived