CPU v CPU matches, and goals per game

Do games between CPU sides in your own division use the same match engine, or do they use a much quicker method of calculating the result?

I ask because my Forest Green side have been in the playoffs for the last two seasons and are up there again early this season, yet our goals for/against tallies are much lower than the teams around me and my games tend to be lower scoring affairs. I've had big wins - 4-1 at the start of the season for example - but my goals per game ratio is about 1.25 for, 0.8 against. It's a good defence but the attack is pretty poor for a promotion chasing side - this is in contrast to what's on paper where my defence is the weakest aspect of my side.

I'm not looking for tactics or tips, I'm only looking for observations from other players on the goals per game "issue" (it may be just me), whether they are experiencing this or not, and hopefully input from SI regarding the nature of the non-human player matches in your own division.

Do games between CPU sides in your own division use the same match engine, or do they use a much quicker method of calculating the result?

I ask because my Forest Green side have been in the playoffs for the last two seasons and are up there again early this season, yet our goals for/against tallies are much lower than the teams around me and my games tend to be lower scoring affairs. I've had big wins - 4-1 at the start of the season for example - but my goals per game ratio is about 1.25 for, 0.8 against. It's a good defence but the attack is pretty poor for a promotion chasing side - this is in contrast to what's on paper where my defence is the weakest aspect of my side.

I'm not looking for tactics or tips, I'm only looking for observations from other players on the goals per game "issue" (it may be just me), whether they are experiencing this or not, and hopefully input from SI regarding the nature of the non-human player matches in your own division.

• SI Staff

Human teams always tend to 'buck' the trends in management games simply because humans tend to sit at the extremes of styling ... this is normally a more attacking style of play and less likely to 'ease off' and try and lock things down if leading a game than irl (and how CPU teams handle themselves).

However for some people like me it tends to be the other extreme and a happy run of 1-0 victories in dull circumstances (what can I say I'm George Graham in disguise icon_wink.gif ).

You'll notice this in all management titles to be honest to a greater or lesser extent.

There has been nothing out of the ordinary like this on my game Younger Crayola, although there are a few CPU teams who score/condcede a fair amount more/less.

For example Preston North End, a promotion chasing side on my game, have one of the worst scoring records but a great defensive record.

IMO it's just something that occurs to individual teams in particular.

Yeha as i have noticed that Chelsea keep a strong tight defensive record althought still winning games 2-0 3-0 etc.

M yrecord for Hinckley is shocking i conceed way too muh but always entertain.

Funnily enough Marc ive just watched on EPSN clasics Arsenal vs Parma in the GG eraicon_biggrin.gif

I guess my main concern is that I'm playing (generally speaking - I can't use the exact same tactics but I use similar ones) to how I'd play in FM2006 or CM01/02, but whereas in the old games I'd be hitting plenty of goals and conceding plenty, here I'm turning in different results.

Mind you, my strikers aren't getting enough shots on target so I'll be working on that for a while.

• 1 month later...

Marc.... I can't help noticing you didn't directly answer the question - "Do games between CPU sides... use the same match engine, or do they use a much quicker method of calculating the result?"

What is the answer?

Your comment that human teams tend to buck the trends doesn't really help (or make sense?) given that the poster experiences (as I do) CPU v CPU matches producing MORE goals, not fewer. I'm seeing a number of 3-4 and 2-5 type of results throughout the divisions.

Archived