Closed Thread

Thread: Basketball manager???

Default Basketball manager???

Has any company every created a basketball manager simulation game of similar depth to football manager?

Im mainly a fan of NBA but I know Euroleagues are pretty popular as well, and I could be wrong, but I think basketball is the second most popular team sport world wide after football.

It would be quite brilliant in my opinion. SI programmers reading this? Get it done

Amateur

Default Re: Basketball manager???

Rugby is more popular then Basketball?

Subs Bench
    Future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwhitearmy View Post
    As much as I love rugby, I think basketball is more popular, just.

Although not that big in the UK, it's big in much of the Americas, Central and Eastern Europe and the Far East. Rugby is on the increase though.

Cricket's bigger than most people think too, and probably the second biggest if going on sheer number of followers.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwhitearmy View Post
    I dont think so, basketball is popular in balkans, spain, eastern europe including Russia, and spain and russia are two of europes biggest nations, basketball is also popular in Australia and the most popular sport in china-as well of course as having a huge fan base in the United States. In South America, basketball is the second most popular sport after football.

So pretty much all over the world it is popular and gaining popularity in Africa

Rugby is played mostly by ex nations in the british empire isn't it, and is mostly only popular in Britain, Australia and South Africa

Cricket is popular in Australia, Britain, India Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa, so again some of those nations have a huge population but basketball has a more widespread fanbase all over the world, I think a basketball manager game would be extremely successful, the only problem is unlike football manager where italian, spanish, and english leagues are all elite leagues, in basketball only NBA would be elite and every other league would be below that.

I dont know how many scouts football manager has, but they wouldnt need as many for basketball manager, there are much less teams
    Last edited by HELP ME WITH FM PLS; 20-06-2009 at 16:42.

First Team Squad Member
    Usually found in Southend stalking RickyButton

I watched a documentary on this a few months ago, worldwide Football is the biggest. Cricket was second, Hockey was third and Tennis was fourth.

Banned

Your analysis of rugby would only work if you could explain why its so big in France and why Italy and Argentina have top sides and whats going on in Japan, Georgia, Romania and other places that play quite a bit.

Subs Bench

Quote Originally Posted by HELP ME WITH FM PLS View Post
    I dont think so, basketball is popular in balkans, spain, eastern europe including Russia, and spain and russia are two of europes biggest nations, basketball is also popular in Australia and the most popular sport in china-as well of course as having a huge fan base in the United States. In South America, basketball is the second most popular sport after football.

So pretty much all over the world it is popular and gaining popularity in Africa

Rugby is played mostly by ex nations in the british empire isn't it, and is mostly only popular in Britain, Australia and South Africa

Cricket is popular in Australia, Britain, India Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa, so again some of those nations have a huge population but basketball has a more widespread fanbase all over the world, I think a basketball manager game would be extremely successful, the only problem is unlike football manager where italian, spanish, and english leagues are all elite leagues, in basketball only NBA would be elite and every other league would be below that.

I dont know how many scouts football manager has, but they wouldnt need as many for basketball manager, there are much less teams
    Cricket and rugby both seem to be the most popular in more countries than Basketball, though.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Most-Popul...orld&id=551180
    It's no surprise that football, or what Americans call "soccer" is the world's most popular sport to play and to watch. An estimated 3.5 billion people either watch or play football. The World Cup is the global championship of the sport and this tournament is played every four years. The World Cup itself is one of the highest rated sports on television, with many countries tuning in en masse to watch their country's team play. Football is popular in all of the UK, Europe, Asia as well as South America. However, with so many other sports being popular, the Unites States still lags behind in their interest in "soccer".

Next, we have cricket. This sport which consists of a bat and a ball, has been around for hundreds of years and originated in England. The sport is popular in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, some African countries, some Caribbean countries and it is the most popular sport in the countries of India and Pakistan. An estimated 3 billion people watch or play cricket each year.

The next most popular sport is a sure surprise, and that is field hockey, with an estimated 2 billion players or watchers, mostly in Asian countries, European countries, Australia and around Africa. This sport tends to be played in high schools in the United States, usually by girls only.

Coming up next is tennis. Not so surprising, but there are an estimated 1 billion players and watchers of tennis around the world. Tennis tends to be popular in richer countries, including the United States, Asian countries, Australia and Europe. There are four main tournaments in tennis, called "Grand Slams" at which players from many countries play. The first is the Australian Open, then the French Open, Wimbledon and then the US Open in late August. The Grand Slam tournaments tend to get the most attention during the tennis season.

Next we have volleyball. Yet another surprise, with an estimated 900 million viewers or players around the world. Volleyball is popular in the United States, where the sport originated, as well as in Brazil, all over Europe, Russia, China and Japan. Volleyball is a popular high school sport in many countries due to it's team centered play and lack of specialized equipment requirements.

Also popular is table tennis, otherwise known as Ping Pong. This is another surprisingly popular sport around the world, with an estimated 900 million watchers or players. Table tennis originated in England as an after dinner activity for Victorians in the late 19th century. Table tennis as a competitive sport is popular in many countries but is especially popular in China, Korea and Singapore.

After these sports, we have a triumvirate of more mainstream American sports including baseball, golf, American football and basketball, with each sport attracting between 400 and 500 million players or watchers worldwide.
    I find it hard to believe basketball attracts so few viewers, the same amount as baseball and american football! I guess the population in the balkan and eastern european nations aren't very high, but then again that also fails to take into account the chinese viewers. In an NBA game

250 million other people will be watching this game, but not you.....because no outlet in America will be covering it.
    http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...elevision.html

in an NBA game between the two Chinese NBA players, Yi Jianlan and yao Ming, it drew ratings of 250 million viewers despite the fact it wasn't nationally broadcasted in America.

I think basketball has a huge and growing fanbase, but I don't know how large the fanbase for a sport has to be before a company like Sports Interactive would think about spending all the time and money to create an extensive manager game about it. Have they made hockey or cricket manager yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Quackje View Post
    Your analysis of rugby would only work if you could explain why its so big in France and why Italy and Argentina have top sides and whats going on in Japan, Georgia, Romania and other places that play quite a bit.
    I didn't know those nations were so big on rugby, but I know that for example in Romania, Georgia and France, not to mention Italy, basketball is a much more popular sport in those nations than rugby. So yes the national teams are doing well, but basketball is more popular. In the article I posted, rugby doesn't have more spectators than even the american sports of baseball or american football.

Even in England rugby is not the most popular sport, probably 3rd or fourth, behind football, F1, and then im not sure if cricket has more fans but I think it does than rugby does in england

Banned

Click here

3rd link down

was that so ****ing difficult?

Youth Team

Off topic fourm?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by mackemforever View Post
    Click here

3rd link down

was that so ****ing difficult?
    No need to swear ;)

Part-Timer

I want a Squash Manager Game.

yeh i was wondering if sporting interactive was gonna make one their company is the best

Semi Pro
    I don't agree with that in the workplace.

How about a tennis fm style game?

Quote Originally Posted by Cockney Hammer View Post
    dont know how you manage a tennis player you'd only have like one guy to manage

Semi Pro
    I don't agree with that in the workplace.

Was a joke mate.

Amateur

There is one already it's called Pong!

SI used to have a Hockey manager game but piracy/lack of sales brought the development to an end.

Was a joke mate.
    word

basketball manager is no joke-THE DREAM LIVES ON, GEDDIT DONE SI

Reserves

Tiddlywinks Manager 2010 ftw.

Amateur

World Basketball Manager;

I don't think it has a publisher, so it is available for 20 euro to download online from the creators. Screenshots look decent.

http://www.wbmgame.com/index.html

Subs Bench

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_j10 View Post
    Tiddlywinks Manager 2010 ftw.
    Ultimate Frisbee Manager.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Hershie View Post
    Ultimate Frisbee Manager.
    "Announcing the new management game brought to you buy SI, hitting shops in the summer....It's Ludo Manager '09!"

Amateur

Walking The Dog Manager 2010

now that would be a life saver

Youth Team

I vote for 'Connect 4 manager'

Or Pop up Pirate, the ultimate in tactics ;)

Subs Bench

Sim Jenga.

Quote Originally Posted by LordPringle View Post
    World Basketball Manager;

I don't think it has a publisher, so it is available for 20 euro to download online from the creators. Screenshots look decent.

http://www.wbmgame.com/index.html
    looks pretty good, i wonder tho do they have the rights to sell this? For example I know in the NBA the players and franchises are copyrights, I really wonder if the publishers of this game payed for those image rights

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie0e View Post
    Walking The Dog Manager 2010

now that would be a life saver

Can you imagine the complaints about the tactics editor?

my dog is ****ing stupid! He ignores my whistles, doesn't follow my instructions, ignores any f-arrows, and he doesn't run with the ball. He runs with it so far, then just stops, dropping the ball at his feet, until another dog comes along and just takes it from him. Stoooopid! And SI still haven't fixed it!

And then, to take the biscuit (so to speak), I threw him the ball and he didn't even make for it, he just semi-sat down in the 'D' with that unmistakable look in his eyes and his tongue hanging out his mouth, and curled one down right in front of the penalty box!

Yeah, alright, I instructed him to sit in there, but I specifically told him to hold it!

Needless to say, in the post-walk doggie-talk, I will not be giving him a treat - not even a forgiving pat on the head.

Get in your basket!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Last edited by antonjw; 20-06-2009 at 23:53.

Amateur

basketball is US only, its hardly even a whisper in any other country, and i mean ANY other country. Same as baseball, but yet its called the world series... egotism for you.

Banned

looks pretty good, i wonder tho do they have the rights to sell this? For example I know in the NBA the players and franchises are copyrights, I really wonder if the publishers of this game payed for those image rights
    http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/sports/bas...008/index.html

A better one

Quote Originally Posted by lawsie View Post
    basketball is US only, its hardly even a whisper in any other country, and i mean ANY other country. Same as baseball, but yet its called the world series... egotism for you.
    statement from you, but I'm not surprised, geordie (KIDDING)

Basketball is China's most popular sport.

It is also the most popular sport in several balkan nations such as Greece, Slovenia and Serbia. In Turkey basketball is follwed second only to football. Russia, Italy and Spain also have well supported basketball leagues, not to mention nations like Lithuania and Belarus.

It was funny how sure of yourself you seemed to be though
    Last edited by Purefun; 22-06-2009 at 07:00. Reason: no need for it

Part-Timer

In Australia Basketball is well down on the list. Our top sports down to basketball it terms of attendance are:

Australian Rules Football (2,526,700 Funnily enough, the only national soccer league that has higher attendance is the German Bundesliga and is 4th highest domestic league in the world)
    Horse Racing (2,003,700)
    Rugby League (1,486,400)
    Motor Sport (1,485,200)
    Cricket (730,700)
    Rugby Union (682,000)
    Soccer (560,700 and growing)
    Harness Racing (444,200)
    Tennis (267,900)
    Basketball (237,200)
    Dog Racing (224,800)

So that ranks basketball 10th on our national list. Lower than the "traditional" crowd pullers such as harness racing and only just ahead of dog racing. I am an Aussie Rules fan but I cannot gather how it is the 4th highest average attended sport in the world when it is only #1 in four states in Australia and almost played exclusively in Australia. Lots of arguments both ways on that one I guess

Part-Timer

Moronic statement from you, but I'm not surprised, geordie (KIDDING)

It is also the most popular sport in several balkan nations such as Greece, Slovenia and Serbia. In Turkey basketball is follwed second only to football. Russia, Italy and Spain also have well supported basketball leagues, not to mention nations like Lithuania and Belarus.

u r moron

Actually Basketball is not the most popular sport in Serbia, it's football. In slovenia it's skiing I imagine. In Greece it could be, but I'd still go with football. However basketball is very very popular sport in all over europe, all of the balkans practically, Central europe, spain. Basically everywhere except UK.

Amateur

Basketball is most popular sports in baltic country Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia. I would like to create a basketball manager =/

Amateur

Why is the tennis game a joke? It would be great. (Tennis is probably my favorite sport, just edging football).

There are about 2000 pros and you could have the junior levels. Plus amazing regens on a tennis game would be awesome.

But there is already one like that, called Tennis Elbow Manager.

Amateur

In Brazil Basketball used to be very popular back in 1960-70s, after the country win the world title twice. Now I think it's behind Football, Volleyball and Futsal. As curiosity, the sport most played in Brazilian schools is Handball, more than Football.

Cricket and Rugby have no representation here. I've never heard of anybody playing these sports here. No leagues, not even fields.

It would be nice to see a decent Basketball Management Game. Though this WBM seems to be going to the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by nick1408 View Post
    In Australia Basketball is well down on the list. Our top sports down to basketball it terms of attendance are:

Australian Rules Football (2,526,700 Funnily enough, the only national soccer league that has higher attendance is the German Bundesliga and is 4th highest domestic league in the world)
    Horse Racing (2,003,700)
    Rugby League (1,486,400)
    Motor Sport (1,485,200)
    Cricket (730,700)
    Rugby Union (682,000)
    Soccer (560,700 and growing)
    Harness Racing (444,200)
    Tennis (267,900)
    Basketball (237,200)
    Dog Racing (224,800)

So that ranks basketball 10th on our national list. Lower than the "traditional" crowd pullers such as harness racing and only just ahead of dog racing. I am an Aussie Rules fan but I cannot gather how it is the 4th highest average attended sport in the world when it is only #1 in four states in Australia and almost played exclusively in Australia. Lots of arguments both ways on that one I guess
    Basketball is popular in europe , USA and the main point here-is its china's most popular sport. So even if no one outside of china watched basketball, it would still be one of the worlds most watched sports

I didnt know football was more popular in Serbia, because Serbia has an incredible basketball team, is handball more popular than basketball there too?

Amateur

greydog do alot of different sims, they do a wrestling promotion manager, MMA and American Football. Basketball is on there site but no news yet
    Last edited by gazwefc; 21-06-2009 at 14:56.

Youth Team

Honestly, who cares about basketball manager? Are these forums not for FM discussion? Or has my browser changed the destination overnight?

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by baker.simon View Post
    Honestly, who cares about basketball manager? Are these forums not for FM discussion? Or has my browser changed the destination overnight?
    think its your browser mate

Amateur

I find it hard to believe basketball attracts so few viewers, the same amount as baseball and american football! I guess the population in the balkan and eastern european nations aren't very high, but then again that also fails to take into account the chinese viewers. In an NBA game
    The Superbowl gets a hell of a lot more viewers than NBA IIRC its one of the most viewed sporting events out of a world cup year

Quote Originally Posted by Jim99 View Post
    The Superbowl gets a hell of a lot more viewers than NBA IIRC its one of the most viewed sporting events out of a world cup year
    yes that is just one game in the whole year.

Also superbowls highest ratings were only 96 million people world wide.

The highest rated basketball game-regular season between Yao Mings Houston Rockets and Yi's New Jersey Nets drew 220 million viewers. That is twice as much as the highest rated super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by baker.simon View Post
    i do thats why I made this thread, and im wondering if SI ever had or ever was planning on creating a basketball manager game

Third Team

I'd say there's very little chance SI will ever release a basketball management sim. If they did I bet it'd end up the same way EHM did.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by antonjw View Post
    Can you imagine the complaints about the tactics editor?

my dog is ****ing stupid! He ignores my whistles, doesn't follow my instructions, ignores any f-arrows, and he doesn't run with the ball. He runs with it so far, then just stops, dropping the ball at his feet, until another dog comes along and just takes it from him. Stoooopid! And SI still haven't fixed it!

And then, to take the biscuit (so to speak), I threw him the ball and he didn't even make for it, he just semi-sat down in the 'D' with that unmistakable look in his eyes and his tongue hanging out his mouth, and curled one down right in front of the penalty box!

Yeah, alright, I instructed him to sit in there, but I specifically told him to hold it!

Needless to say, in the post-walk doggie-talk, I will not be giving him a treat - not even a forgiving pat on the head.

Get in your basket!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    classic there mate

made me fall off my chair

Part-Timer

So, Squash Manager 2010, anyone ???

Reserves

I would want EHM to return rather than creating a basketball manager.

First Team

SI have said they won't do another management game for a long time as their resources are stretched as it is.

Youth Team

i do thats why I made this thread, and im wondering if SI ever had or ever was planning on creating a basketball manager game
    Thats fine, you care, a lot dont!. You'd get better discussion if you talked about this in a forum thats NOT dedicated to football manager

Amateur

Moronic statement from you, but I'm not surprised, geordie (KIDDING)

u r moron

Shame that you really really dont understand how small basketball is in those countries if you compare it to football for example. Well guess thats an uneducated person for you. Now im sorry, you created this thread based on the fact that you may like basketball and overestimated its popularity, but dont you dare call me a moron for voicing facts about it. Damn keyboard warriors. Hate you lot.
    Last edited by lawsie; 21-06-2009 at 18:35.

Youth Team

Football = The way forward!

Semi Pro
    running underground with the moles diggin' holes

Basketball is awful, wouldn't mind a gaelic football manager though

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by BobMUFC08 View Post
    Basketball is awful, wouldn't mind a gaelic football manager though
    So would I, but let's face it - there really is no market for it

Amateur

basketball is a pathetic excuse for a sport what aload of crap no one in there right mind would make a management sim about basketball

Subs Bench

Quote Originally Posted by BigAmzz View Post
    basketball is a pathetic excuse for a sport what aload of crap no one in there right mind would make a management sim about basketball
    The problem with it is that it's too easy to score, and all the players are of a similarly high standard. The scores are too high to take seriously, in my opinion. I'm surprised no one's ever thought "why don't we make the basket higher?" or something to reward better performance and reduce stupid scores.

It's still a better sport than American Football though. How anyone can find it entertaining is beyond me. It's so stop start and repetitive and one-dimensional that I get so enraged whenever I try and watch it.

Amateur

It's still a better sport than American Football though. How anyone can find it entertaining is beyond me. It's so stop start and repetitive and one-dimensional that I get so enraged whenever I try and watch it.
    And American Football is better than that nonsense Baseball. Probably it is the most boring sport ever, maybe Cricket is.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by ahmufcwafc View Post
    So would I, but let's face it - there really is no market for it
    I support Armagh, but never lived home for long enough to learn the rules of Gaelic footy

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by BigAmzz View Post
    If you read earlier posts, you will find a Basketball management sim.

Shame that you really really dont understand how small basketball is in those countries if you compare it to football for example. Well guess thats an uneducated person for you. Now im sorry, you created this thread based on the fact that you may like basketball and overestimated its popularity, but dont you dare call me a moron for voicing facts about it. Damn keyboard warriors. Hate you lot.
    You don't know what you're on about. Basketball is hands down the most popular sport in China, Lithuania, Greece, Estonia and Latvia, and also quite popular in Spain and France and the Balkan nations.

You have NO idea what you are talking about, so why do you keep talking?

The problem with it is that it's too easy to score, and all the players are of a similarly high standard. The scores are too high to take seriously, in my opinion. I'm surprised no one's ever thought "why don't we make the basket higher?" or something to reward better performance and reduce stupid scores.

Just because you don't understand a sport doesn't mean you should insult it. Basketball is a game based on team work, ball movement, offensive plays and defense.

You obviously don't realize that nearly everytime down the court teams are running set offensive plays, to you I assume it just looks like aimless running around. Basketball is also a game about highskill, no all the players aren't on the same skill level, you need to see a player like Manu Ginobili for example, I think after watching him play you would understand the point of basketball and not be so quick to insult it.

Amateur

No doubt it's a very entertaining sport. You can take NBA as reference how it is popular around the world. Every team in that league has many foreign playing.

Don't forget Argentina, I think it's very popular there as well, at least they are doing well in recent Olympics and World Championships. A time ago it was the second sport in Venezuela (behind Baseball), but football has grown popularity there. It's also number one sport in Angola, I'm sure about that. :-)

Interesting list here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...hread_id=43943

Amateur

Toronto Blue Jays play in the MLB.

Regardless, I believe the reason why it is called the World Series is anyone from any nation can play in a MLB team, hence those teams represent "the world" in terms of professional baseball.

Reserves

The simple point is, football is truly the global game. however big basketball might be in some countries, it's not a global phenomenon. Same with cricket and rugby. SI venture into Ice Hockey was really focussed on the American market and it didn't take off. For marketing purposes, surely concentrating on football makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    No doubt it's a very entertaining sport. You can take NBA as reference how it is popular around the world. Every team in that league has many foreign playing.

Don't forget Argentina, I think it's very popular there as well, at least they are doing well in recent Olympics and World Championships. A time ago it was the second sport in Venezuela (behind Baseball), but football has grown popularity there. It's also number one sport in Angola, I'm sure about that. :-)

Interesting list here:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_threa...hread_id=43943
    Yes they have a world class team with Scola, Ginobili and Hermann, however I'm pretty sure they all come from the same small region in Argentina-it's a town where all the kids grow up playing basketball and hardly any play football-and pretty isolated from the rest of Argentina, Im not sure how popular basketball is there though, and even if it is second most popular of course football is ahead by far.

edit in that thread a guy from argentina confirms basketball is the second most popular sport in argentina. I would say basketball is a global game, considering it is well supported in north america, asia, europe, south America and some countries in Africa, such as Angola. That is all continents except Australia that basketball has high support, and Australia even has a pro league and a top level national team.
    And in China it is the most popular sport, and 1 in 7 people in the world are Chinese. Basketball is a global sport, much more so than cricket or rugby for example, but perhaps it's true it doesn't have a big enough fan base yet to support the effort it would take to make a quality basketball manager game
    Last edited by HELP ME WITH FM PLS; 22-06-2009 at 10:42.

Reserves

I have seen several international tournaments in cricket, rugby, football and such.

I have never seen a basketball world cup.

Closest thing is the Olympic event.

Part-Timer

Football is more followed than Basketball.

SI Wont make a Basketball Sim so just give up & stop pushing for something thats never going to happen.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Gauvner View Post
    Football is more followed than Basketball.

SI Wont make a Basketball Sim so just give up & stop pushing for something thats never going to happen.
    No harm in asking.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Elrithral View Post
    No harm in asking.
    True, i want a Ferrari. If i just ask the dealer you never know

Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Subs Bench

Just because you don't understand a sport doesn't mean you should insult it. Basketball is a game based on team work, ball movement, offensive plays and defense.

You obviously don't realize that nearly everytime down the court teams are running set offensive plays, to you I assume it just looks like aimless running around. Basketball is also a game about highskill, no all the players aren't on the same skill level, you need to see a player like Manu Ginobili for example, I think after watching him play you would understand the point of basketball and not be so quick to insult it.
    I do understand it, and have watched it on numerous occasions. I just have an issue with the fact that the scores are so high, and also the number of subtitutes. I KNOW how tiring it is, but to me the constant changes so no one even seems to break sweat seems excessive.

Similarly, I understand the tactical nature of it. The problem though is that in terms of ability there is a lot of continuity, and in terms of mentality, there are only a few who stand out. In other words, the majority of players are superbly talented, but somewhat thick.

I have not insulted basketball, so please don't be so quick to jump on my back and try to insult me back. All I'm saying is that tactics and ability don't matter as much as they could, and maybe should, because it's too easy to score.

Edit: Another thing, thinking about it, that annoys me in basketball is how lax the rules are. The amount of so-called 'travelling' that occurs even at the highest level without being punished infuriates me for some reason.
    Last edited by Hershie; 22-06-2009 at 12:50.

I have seen several international tournaments in cricket, rugby, football and such.

actually they have basketball world championships every 2 years which is basically a basketball world cup. Just because they don't show it on British TV doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Teams like Brazil, China, Argentina, Australia, Germany, Spain, France, United States, Venezuela, Lithuania, Turkey, Greece and Serbia are all strong representatives.

FIBA is the international basketball association.

I do understand it, and have watched it on numerous occasions. I just have an issue with the fact that the scores are so high, and also the number of subtitutes. I KNOW how tiring it is, but to me the constant changes so no one even seems to break sweat seems excessive.

Similarly, I understand the tactical nature of it. The problem though is that in terms of ability there is a lot of continuity, and in terms of mentality, there are only a few who stand out. In other words, the majority of players are superbly talented, but somewhat thick.

I have not insulted basketball, so please don't be so quick to jump on my back and try to insult me back. All I'm saying is that tactics and ability don't matter as much as they could, and maybe should, because it's too easy to score.

Edit: Another thing, thinking about it, that annoys me in basketball is how lax the rules are. The amount of so-called 'travelling' that occurs even at the highest level without being punished infuriates me for some reason.
    Basketball is a game based more around explosiveness then it is around stamina and endurance. Even so, running up and down the court at a high speed is alot more exhausting then you think, and players like Kobe Bryant for example run 7 miles per game. Considering Kobe Byrant only averages 38 minutes a game, while some footballers who play 90 minute matches average the same distance, that can show you how demanding and exhausting the game is and maybe help you understand why teams are allowed unlimited substitutions, similar to Ice Hockey, which is even worse than basketball by the way because players are subbing off every two minutes in that sport, compared to basketball where the starters play 16 minutes at a time and then their backup comes on and plays only about 5 minutes at a time.

Basketball is a game of scoring runs, for example one team going on a 7-0 run and the other team responds with a 13-0 run, you are right it is easier to score than a sport like rugby or football, the point of the game is the shifting momentum. Yes in NBA the rules are lax around the superstars, which I feel is wrong, but if you want pure solid team basketball where no player is given star treatment and travels arent allowed, then simply watch Euroleagues instead or the upcoming European basketball championships

Youth Team

Still nothing at all do with FM....... in the FM forum = Pointless.

Amateur

It depends where you live. I have never seen an international cricket or rugby tournament in Brazilian TV. Actually I think Brazilian television has never broadcasted a single cricket game, and Rugby is only on secondary cable channels to fill up their time.

On other hand, I can watch Voleyball World League, Futsal World Championship or Basketball World Championship, for men and women. Yes, it's also very popular among women. Italian, Spanish, NBA and European basketball leagues also are in Brazilian TV.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by phnompenhandy View Post
    The simple point is, football is truly the global game. however big basketball might be in some countries, it's not a global phenomenon. Same with cricket and rugby. SI venture into Ice Hockey was really focussed on the American market and it didn't take off. For marketing purposes, surely concentrating on football makes the most sense.
    The only way I found these forums and EHM in the first place was through the internet. SI didn't market the game enough. If EHM07 was actually in every shop in Canada instead of just through the internet, I would be playing EHM09 right now.

We Canadians live and breathe hockey!!! It's the greatest sport on earth.

The last minute of a basketball game takes 15-20 minutes to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    The only way I found these forums and EHM in the first place was through the internet. SI didn't market the game enough. If EHM07 was actually in every shop in Canada instead of just through the internet, I would be playing EHM09 right now.

We Canadians live and breathe hockey!!! It's the greatest sport on earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0AK5NLM9ow
    and coincidentally those can be the most exciting, dramatic and tension filled 20 minutes in sport.

Also of note, that is the championship game and on the teams there are playing not just Americans but also

Marcin Gortat-Turkish
    Michael Pietrus-French
    Pau Gasol-Spanish
    Sasha Vujacic-Slovenian
    Sun Yue-Chinese
    DJ Mbenga-Belgium
    Adonal Foyle-St Vincent and Grenadines

Basketball looks like a global game to me

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
    wouldnt that be the last 15-20 minutes then??

Quote Originally Posted by gazwefc View Post
    wouldnt that be the last 15-20 minutes then??
    5 minutes left on the clock but coaches call alot of timeouts and intentionally foul, so it takes longer sometimes

We're not looking at releasing any games for other sports currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Jacobson View Post
    We're not looking at releasing any games for other sports currently.
    thank you very much guy from SI, I'm pleased to know your official position on the subject, perhaps one day in the next five years if your company continues to flourish, basketball manager is a project that can be looked in to

This is also off-topic gents, so will have to close this. Remember we have an Off-Topic-Forum for these types of discussions! ;)

Closed Thread