The Tycoon Effect

Just curious what stories people have on a team's fortunes after being taken over by a tycoon, whether it's the AI or yourself... or the effect when one leaves?

I've seen my brother get one at Liverpool yet it had no benefit to the team finishes, still never finishing above 3rd. And AI, in my current Man City game, Portsmouth who finished 14th and 17th the last two seasons, are currently 5th and chasing Chelsea for 4th place after spending £106m this season. I was a tad surprised that some of the players were even interested, but I guess money talks.

Accrington Stanley had a tycoon takeover (UAE's) in League 2, several years later they are a established Prem side!

Torquay had a tycoon takeover (Brazil) in the Blue Square Prem, got to League 1 but hit the wall! Nothing in years!

Ashford (Middlesex) had one while in BSS, and I got the job managing them. Managed to get promoted in successive seasons right up until the Premier League, but then got relegated. Got back up again, managed to survive on huge wages and high spending, and then the tycoon withdrew backing and we entered financial trouble and collapsed back down.

On my current save, some foreign sides are dominating with tycoons. (In 2036) NAC Breda and Aviron Bayonnais are both serious players, and Clermont Foot, FC Eindhoven, and Gimnastic are all climbing up the table with their backing.

In the UK, Hull and Swansea aren't having much success despite their tycoon backing. Burnley did well in the Premier League when they had theirs, but he left and they've fallen to the Championship. Some teams without them have had far greater success.

Hereford were taken over by a tycoon on my save. Shortly after the takeover they fired their manager and hired me. i jumped at the chance as i have never managed a club so rich before. In successive seasons i won the BSP, League 2, League 1 and came second in the Championship. Just started in the Premiership and i have beaten Liverpool and drawn with Man City who are now the best team in the world. I dread the day he leaves...

However, i am still having a problem stadium-wise. I am in the Prem and have a stadium capacity of 7700 :s

However, i am still having a problem stadium-wise. I am in the Prem and have a stadium capacity of 7700 :s

I'm surprised he didn't sort that first, I find thats usually improved asap and drastically when a Tycoon is about.

I can't wait to see a tiny team get one, I never realised they'd buy clubs even as low as League Two, would be fun to tackle a side who race up the divisions

I would have thought that too but no sign of a new stadium yet :(

As for tiny teams being taken over, i have seen Southport and Farsley Celtic get taken over by tycoons. Southport won one promotion but now their finances have decreased and are 'secure' but they still have a tycoon chairman from Serbia - i thought this was strange, i didnt know a tycoon could run out of money so fast! Farsley are currently top of their respective division but with no real investment and I expect them to shoot up a couple of divisions.

In my game Derby County were taken over by a tycoon (Portuguese) in 2010. In 2012 they were promoted to premier league and in the first transfer window spent GBP60m odd. They finished in 16th and the next season they have spent GBP40m, I have only just started that season but they seem to have started well. Derby always have about 5 stories about them in the Transfer Rumour section

I had a tycoon take over when i was with Braintree and had just got in BSP (with major finacial problems) and he pumped money into the club and 20 years later i won the Prem with them and go to uefa cup final. But he withdrew his backing in the last couple of years, but he would clear debts and the start of the new season if we were badly in the red.

just been taken over by tycoon for wrexham and hes ploughed in the money and udatin facilities nice very excitied

Jealous,

I have never had a tycoon take over. Are there any clubs more likely than others to be taken over like this?

I would have thought that too but no sign of a new stadium yet :(

As for tiny teams being taken over, i have seen Southport and Farsley Celtic get taken over by tycoons. Southport won one promotion but now their finances have decreased and are 'secure' but they still have a tycoon chairman from Serbia - i thought this was strange, i didnt know a tycoon could run out of money so fast! Farsley are currently top of their respective division but with no real investment and I expect them to shoot up a couple of divisions.

You'll find that the tycoon has probably withdrawn financial support but stayed on as chairman.

Its in the news, if it is a tycoon he will indicate that when he takes over the club, he will invest heavily etc. Sometimes this also brings on the rumour that the tycoon is going to bring in their own manager.

Kendal Town are about to reach the Premiership on mine. They were taken over by a tycoon in 2016 when they were in the Blue Square Premier, its now the 23/24 season and they're 4th in the Championship. I'm going to be so annoyed if they win a trophy before I do. :(

You'll find that the tycoon has probably withdrawn financial support but stayed on as chairman.

I think your right, they have just been docked 10 points for entering administration !

Haha just realised your username is the surname of my ex-chairman at Liverpool.

He was called Leon Welch. Haha :D

Haha, my name is George Welch....no relation, however;)

Was he a Tycoon ?

My Cardiff team on 08 had a tycoon takeover, I was delighted moving budjet from 800k to 4-5m.

I then gladly smiled to sign Matty Fryatt, one of my best moments on 08.

Liverpool getting taken over in my game no big suprises there, Scunthorpe have been taken over on mine and so have Leicester who have been spending madly.

For those of you who have played both FM08 and FM09 extensively, has there been much of a change in the frequency of tycoon takeovers in your opinion?

My Cardiff team on 08 had a tycoon takeover, I was delighted moving budjet from 800k to 4-5m.

I then gladly smiled to sign Matty Fryatt, one of my best moments on 08.

Liverpool getting taken over in my game no big suprises there, Scunthorpe have been taken over on mine and so have Leicester who have been spending madly.

Heh i'm playing as Cardiff on 08 at the moment - maybe i can hope for a takeover soon!

Always thought that as well as sugar daddies there should be poison daddies. They want to take cash from the club. They want to own your ground and sell it to developers before clearing off. :D

Sounds a bit like Firoz Kassam :mad:

what are the clubs that are most likely to get a tycoon takeover?

The best way I find is to go onto the add new user option, and look through all the clubs as if you were going to select them. It should display the chairman status when you highlight them, so teams with the status: "Will listen to any offers" are more likely to be taken over sooner rather than later. I usually make a mental note of these clubs and check them now and then to see if they have been taken over by tycoons. :)

So far a few have been taken over on my save (2017). Main ones are:

Reading: Mid table prem, never spend that much.

Notts County: I got them to prem, then left them. Now they've been taken over they are midtable Prem.

York: Struggling to climb the tables, stuck in League 1 at the momment.

Valenciennes: Mid table League 1 (France)

Amiens: Mid table League 1 (France)

They are the only ones I really know about. Tycoons haven't really had a massive influence on my game yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to have a browse through the Rich Clubs list and found a few more clubs with Tycoons.

Cardiff (CCC) have a chairman who is a Sultan, wonder how much they have to spend

Reading (EPL)

Crystal Palace (EPL)

Leeds (EPL)

Southend (CCC)

Racing Club Strasburg - have spent mega money in last two years

They have been a mix of Arabs, Russians, Chinese and Spanish (guessing from the names)

Wierd that none of the big Premiership boys have been taken over by mega rich people. I have just got a new Chairman (West Ham) but was promotion within but not a Tycoon.

Does a tycoon ever take oover a club with a chairman who 'feels he will never leave a the club he loves'? (I am Preston North End and am in need of cash in the EPL). For that matter, is a takeover related to the chairman at all?

Does a tycoon ever take oover a club with a chairman who 'feels he will never leave a the club he loves'? (I am Preston North End and am in need of cash in the EPL). For that matter, is a takeover related to the chairman at all?

Yes, I'm managing Charlton and Richard Muray starts off loving the club. Then for 3 seasons running (always in the Jan transfer window) he tries to sell the club to a director then the deals falls through just as the window closes (thus I'm scuppered by the transfer embargo again).

Suddenly in the 4th season after the news that the deal had fallen through again, we're sold! There's no mention of a tycoon but I find 200 MILLION in my coffers and suddenly we're one of the richest clubs in the world! It was initially announced that he was bringing in Rijkaard to replace me but I got a stay of execution (a 'Sparky'). Can't wait until July to go on a shopping spree!

I'm manchester united and recently was taken over.

They said they were going to replace me but with a couple of good results they let me stay and pumped 146M into my transfer kitty.

Don't really need it though I rarely go and blow my money on big name players I look for young cheap talent instead.

Still pretty cool though it happened in 2014 david gill must have left for a weird reason because I was winning everything.

I got £27million to spend with Vale, and was heading for the Championship til the game crashed... Was crazy though, sailed through League One (having gained promotion pre-tycoon from League Two). Was gutted when I lost the game, might never get taken over again... :-( I'm with Lincoln now and wouldn't mind a takeover!!

At stoke i got a tycoon takeover when there was no need for one, already sitting on a bank balance of about 600m the tycoon came to the club and injected a further 700m. Then took 400m out for investments, and took a dividend of 300m lol. The club is generating insane amounts of revenue though. 18 months down the line he's still here pumping money in when its needed, which is always nice.

Seen a couple of spectacular fails with the AI though, especially at lower levels, not able to get up the leagues, but still paying massive amounts in wages, including a blue square premier team paying a 37 year old craig bellamy 45k a week.

Archived