Players that FM said would get good and did.

I remember a CM game that had Ronaldinho as having superb potential, back when he used to play for Paris St Germain. The majority of footie "experts" didn't feel the same way and thought he had just fizzled out already. So that's another example of FM getting it right. I don't recall which version of CM it was.

There's more that get it wrong, but that's expected as it's always based on current rep. Danny Cadamartari, Fancis Jeffers, Michael Ricketts(?), Tommy Smith... from memory these were in CM 01/02 and were world beaters.

Remember Saviola from 01/02 as well, and a certain Michael Owen from the previous release.

There is also a long list of players that were showing exceptional potential in CM/FM and didn’t hit the stars in reality.

And there’s an equal long list available about players that outperformed in reality but were not discovered by CM/FM.

It’s very normal that researchers and real scouts make rather a lot mistakes. Because how do you measure ‘talent’? And how can they be sure they will make it. They can’t.

In fact most players don’t reach the top leagues.

At age 17 – 20 most potentials collapse because they can’t resist the pleasure of life:

• Going out

• Use alcohol or drugs

• ‘Consume’ lots of girls

• Eating too much fast-food

• Revolting against authorities like parents & trainers

An extension of this thread is the urban legend that real football teams use FM to aid with scouting. icon_smile.gif

Also, the researchers and thus SI scout in general only the A team. The youth is scouted from a distance. Also, most teams have more than 1 youth team, it’s impossible for a researcher to follow-up them all.

And also what is researching, SI style? Reading the newspapers and magazines… Some researchers are hardcore fans of some club (and thus know the club and their players better, some like their club too much and overrate their players as well icon_razz.gif) but that isn’t the case for all clubs.

SI is only researching league teams and not below.

So it’s very normal that they rather miss a lot of talent.

It’s true that the Ronaldinho that went to Paris St Germain was in CM a player with lots of potential but so agreed the international press…

Have been taking an interest actually in some of the "tipped" players featured in the game.

Here's two examples from Finland, who might not quite have been rated as highly as their potential IRL suggests perhaps.

Teemu Pukki - Starts game at FC KooTeePee in Finland.

Here's some web info on him...

Teemu Pukki - Moves to Sevilla

Lauri Dalla Valle (Everyone's favorite bargain buy!) - Starts game at JIPPO in Finland

Lauri Dalla Valle - Moves to Liverpool

Both are certainly exciting prospects for Finnish football. In the version 8.0.1 database, Lauri Dalla Valle starts with PA of -8, so that's probably a good bit of research. Teemu Pukki starts the game with -7 PA, so possibly a bit low given he was top scorer in one of the youth international tournaments not long ago.

Like any of the young prospects, it will be interesting to see how they do at their new clubs in England and Spain respectively.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

There is also a long list of players that were showing exceptional potential in CM/FM and didn’t hit the stars in reality.

And there’s an equal long list available about players that outperformed in reality but were not discovered by CM/FM.

It’s very normal that researchers and real scouts make rather a lot mistakes. Because how do you measure ‘talent’? And how can they be sure they will make it. They can’t.

In fact most players don’t reach the top leagues.

At age 17 – 20 most potentials collapse because they can’t resist the pleasure of life:

• Going out

• Use alcohol or drugs

• ‘Consume’ lots of girls

• Eating too much fast-food

• Revolting against authorities like parents & trainers

An extension of this thread is the urban legend that real football teams use FM to aid with scouting. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consuming lots of girls - that's what did for Hannibal Lecter's promising professional career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by markrae1:

Consuming lots of girls - that's what did for Hannibal Lecter's promising professional career. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

both Saviola and Ronaldinho were very well known by that time. not exactly total unknown </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please! Ronaldinho at that time was known as the bloke with the weird hair trying to rip off Ronaldo's name, and that's it! On the national team yes, but certainly not considered to have the potential to be the world's best.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick.Bateman:

Also, the researchers and thus SI scout in general only the A team. The youth is scouted from a distance. Also, most teams have more than 1 youth team, it’s impossible for a researcher to follow-up them all.

And also what is researching, SI style? Reading the newspapers and magazines… Some researchers are hardcore fans of some club (and thus know the club and their players better, some like their club too much and overrate their players as well icon_razz.gif) but that isn’t the case for all clubs.

SI is only researching league teams and not below.

So it’s very normal that they rather miss a lot of talent.

It’s true that the Ronaldinho that went to Paris St Germain was in CM a player with lots of potential but so agreed the international press… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seriously don't know what happens regarding researchers. We look out for all information that will make the game as correct as possible - from youth team dates of birth, and upto PPMs for the teams main players.

Non league is done very well, considering the amount of teams there are.

P.S. I'm gutted you can't reply

It will be interesting to see if the likes of, [insert the name of current England U19 midfielder who is on loan at Barnet from Charlton], develops in real life.

He seems excellent in the game and from what I've seen so far could make an impact in Charlton's first team as early as next season, (even the Premiership were thet to get promoted).

HE WILL PLAY FOR THE SENIOR ENGLAND TEAM ONE DAY.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

Kim Kallstrom used to be a really good bargain buy in CM and FM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he has never reached those heights in real life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joeyt:

Kim Kallstrom used to be a really good bargain buy in CM and FM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he has never reached those heights in real life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing in the Champions League and winning the French League at least twice. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Playing in the Champions League and winning the French League at least twice. Pretty impressive if you ask me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He still has time yet, but in the last world cup he was distinctly ordinary. Also, didn't a big Italian team buy him and then sell him off to the French league? Step down tbh, but like i said, he still has time.

I wonder who judges the potential players have for FM/CM? Whilst any idiot can look at a player and judge their current ability surely it takes a seasoned experienced eye to judge a players potential accurately, and you'd think anyone who was really good at spotting potential talent would be working for a big club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

Playing in the Champions League and winning the French League at least twice. Pretty impressive if you ask me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He still has time yet, but in the last world cup he was distinctly ordinary. Also, didn't a big Italian team buy him and then sell him off to the French league? Step down tbh, but like i said, he still has time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course there is timke for him to improve still further, but his relative success in real life is nothing compared to the FM God that he became.

DO you see my point?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IbrahimAliMaher:

I wonder who judges the potential players have for FM/CM? Whilst any idiot can look at a player and judge their current ability surely it takes a seasoned experienced eye to judge a players potential accurately, and you'd think anyone who was really good at spotting potential talent would be working for a big club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's down to individual researchers in tandem with the head researchers of the relative area/league.

They do a phenomenal job icon14.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

Riquelme

Saviola

Kaka

Kerlon

Lucas

Dalla Valle

Kallstrom

Robinho

Diego

............and a lot more players that i have bought before I ever heard about them years later IRL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucas looks very average to be fair. He's not settled in yet at all and looks nothing like the player FM has him marked as being.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

both Saviola and Ronaldinho were very well known by that time. not exactly total unknown </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please! Ronaldinho at that time was known as the bloke with the weird hair trying to rip off Ronaldo's name, and that's it! On the national team yes, but certainly not considered to have the potential to be the world's best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at the same time i wouldnt call him an unknown either. it's not like no one has heard of him ourside PSG

Ronaldinho was already a great player with great potential in CM 00/01 when he was playing for Gremio icon14.gif and he wasn't an unknown either icon_smile.gif Kaka and Julio Baptista from Sao Paulo were great prospects in CM 01/02 so were the Altintop bros.

I don't remember which version but I signed a 15 or 16 year old Cristiano Ronaldo(I hadn't heard of him IRL at the time) and told all my mates that he would be one of the best players in the world one day. They don't play FM and tried to tell me it was just a game. I should've made some bets. icon_frown.gif

there are tonnes! i give credit to the scouts for FM. because they really know how to pick out the good unheard offs! even if they are just respectably good!

For example:

and i'm going back many many CM/FM series for this....

Neil Lennon in his old days in the old second divison! I used to sign him always. he turned into a great player.

more recently..

savoila.

gamst pederson.

van der vaart

vanden borre

raul garcia

ronaldinho

robinho

tevez

mascharano

There are lists of these examples... if only aston villa would step up for some of these haha!

Archived