Anyone taken a team from BSP to premier league in 4 seasons?!

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had?!

Im currently cambridge utd and have got promoted the first two seasons and am now in league 1!

Anyone done all 4 in 4 years?!

I have with Bognor Regis

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/madmike84/LeagueHistory.jpg

By far the hardest season was my first in the Premiership, also i fluked the first season in the championship. I went up through the playoffs and was 1 nil down in the final till about the 94th min when we got an equalizer then went on to win in extra time.

At the end of my current season i am due to move in to the Bognor Regis stadium which will hold a mighty 17000 capacity, at the moment we are in a 6000 capacity with only about 300 hundred seats.

I don't think you can get promoted without an all seater stadium.

The infrastructure of any BSP club cannot be sufficiently upgraded in time to get to the Premiership in four seasons.

Not without an editor anyway.

I did it in 6... i think its pretty impossibly realistically to make it that far so quick but in the game it can be done. I made some good free purchases in the BSP, League 2 the quality of players was pretty much the same as BSP so i aced that league with some good tactics (more luck than judgement) League 1 was a lucky play-off final win on pens, championship took me 2 seasons. First one I had to get players and try to survive, ONLY just made it that season. Second season I had Arsenal sending me players as I was a feeder club so I got some good youths to help me get promoted through the play offs again. I also won the league cup final that season too, had a VERY lucky run against poor teams and an Arsenal side in the final who had lots of players out through injury.

It can be done, but my experience was very lucky this time, in 08 it took me 9 seasons to get there.

I did it in 6... i think its pretty impossibly realistically to make it that far so quick but in the game it can be done. I made some good free purchases in the BSP, League 2 the quality of players was pretty much the same as BSP so i aced that league with some good tactics (more luck than judgement) League 1 was a lucky play-off final win on pens, championship took me 2 seasons. First one I had to get players and try to survive, ONLY just made it that season. Second season I had Arsenal sending me players as I was a feeder club so I got some good youths to help me get promoted through the play offs again. I also won the league cup final that season too, had a VERY lucky run against poor teams and an Arsenal side in the final who had lots of players out through injury.

It can be done, but my experience was very lucky this time, in 08 it took me 9 seasons to get there.

You are right that it is not realistic but it still can be done as i have and i am no Football manager Guru, i have followed Heathxxx Lower league guide and just worked hard really. As i said before i did fluke the championship but no way have i used an editor, i dont even use scouting tools.

I did it with Farnborough on CM01/02 once if that counts?

(Although it was 4 seasons in a row, not my first four, the first season I stayed in the then Conference)

I don't think I'd be able to do it on FM09 though!!

I don't think you can get promoted without an all seater stadium.

The infrastructure of any BSP club cannot be sufficiently upgraded in time to get to the Premiership in four seasons.

Not without an editor anyway.

Im not sure whether that rule is implemented in game.

Im trying it with Gateshead, BSN to league 1 in 3 seasons. IMO it starts to get a lot harder in league 1 as you can no longer rely solely on freee transfers and money starts to come into play. Obviously its harder to compete against the bigger teams/ex championship teams on the finance front.

Thats why i would always reccomend Gateshead as a long term game as they already have a 11500 all seater stadium in the BSN, so as you go up the leagues you dont really have a cap on attendances.

I'm kind of trying something like that, been taking Newport from BSS and trying to climb the ladder, got them up to league 1 so far and now pushing for the playoffs to the Championship, only down side is that we have a really small stadium, I got it expanded but won't even take 10k people LOL

I got to the BSS to premiership in 7 years with Braintree, spent two years in 1st division and two in championship, i can confirm that unlike previous games there are no rules in place to stop terracing in the premiership which disappointed me. I was hoping i would get a new stadium built when i reached the prem to comply with the no terracing rule but i did not> 3 years into my premiership stretch and they have only just replaced the terrace with seats, unfortunately this has reduced my overall capacity as the seats take up more space than the terrace. I am still waiting for a new stadium.

I took Nantwich Town to the prem but spent 2 years in league one, the stadium was 1500 with only 150 seated. The board announced a stadium increase of 11500, while it was being done we played at Stokes ground it was a bit annoying moving back to our own stadium as the capacity meant we got less fans than we did when sharing with Stoke.

There used to be real-life stadium restrictions in the game, but these were removed as they were punishing people for doing well.

Removed for being too realistic more like.

What club is going to be able to survive in the Premiership with crowds of under 10,000 every week? Brighton can't even survive in League 1 with those numbers, and they could sell out twice over every home game. You wouldn't have the income to pay players' wages or transfer fees.

And which players are going to sign for a newly promoted, crappy club like Gateshead over Newcastle, or Bognor Regis over the Chelsea and Arsenals of the world anyway?

Whilst attendances are quite useful for a clubs survival, promoted teams especially, tend not to survive on their attendances. £30m a season in initial TV revenue, more for each game put on TV, increases in merchandise sales...

Promotion to the premiership had a ball-park estimation of being worth about £60m for clubs if they went straight back down last season, and only a small amount of that will be gate receipts.

The next point then comes to, who said that they beat Arsenal to the signing of a player etc, you can find players other clubs don't know about - in fact - that is almost essential to premiership survival.

Whilst attendances are quite useful for a clubs survival, promoted teams especially, tend not to survive on their attendances. £30m a season in initial TV revenue, more for each game put on TV, increases in merchandise sales...

Promotion to the premiership had a ball-park estimation of being worth about £60m for clubs if they went straight back down last season, and only a small amount of that will be gate receipts.

The next point then comes to, who said that they beat Arsenal to the signing of a player etc, you can find players other clubs don't know about - in fact - that is almost essential to premiership survival.

What club is going to be able to survive in the Premiership with crowds of under 10,000 every week? Brighton can't even survive in League 1 with those numbers, and they could sell out twice over every home game. You wouldn't have the income to pay players' wages or transfer fees.

And which players are going to sign for a newly promoted, crappy club like Gateshead over Newcastle, or Bognor Regis over the Chelsea and Arsenals of the world anyway?

Very true, when I got into the Prem with Bognor Regis we still had a very small wage bill so the money generated just playing at other clubs was more than enough to generate a profit. The 30m tv rights is spread out over the season which helps massively. As for beating bigger clubs to the signings of players, i still don't, even in my third season now in the prem. A Fenerbache player i had been watching for about 12 months blew me out for Newcastle in my recent pre-season.

Also Man U, Liverpool etc only have to hint at wanting to sign one of players and he starts getting unsettled and wanting to move to a big club, i have lost loads of quality players like this in the past for the sake of club harmony.

I have been surving by bringing ageing players that the ai seem to think are finished and scouting crazy Eastern European New Gens. I am no way saying it is realistic but it is great fun and it is not easy and takes alot of time and patience to have success with a club like this

Im sorry but there is something seriously wrong with the game if you can take bognor regis to the premiership in four seasons. the game need to be made much harder in my opinion especially concerning back to back promotions. so many people have done it - it doesnt seem like an achievment at all. it seems to me the hardest thing to do on the game would be to win the world cup with a team outside the top 50 in the world rankings.

proggresion up the leagues imo should mainly be down to when you do a good job or get a promotion (Maybe even 2) clubs in higher leagues will come looking for you and then you can dedide whether to go and move your career on or else struggle it out in the lower leagues. I think it should take at least 30 seasons to get a team like bognor Regis to the premier league

If you want this sort of experience rather than realism just play championship manager. then let football manager reach even greater levels of realism. Its astonishing how after 2 seasons the big 4 is totally broken up with chelsea and liverpool often in 6th or 7th. its just not going to happen!

I survive with Braintree due to the large amount of TV money, my wage budget is still tiny compared to prem clubs after 3 years, but i still manage to compete for players mainly due to the flawed AI system as clubs tend to buy players they dont need for lots of money (allready have plenty of players in that position) and sell them on 2 years later. I wont name him but just signed a player from Chelsea for 5 mil who in 2018 is now 30, but 4 seasons ago was worth 25mil and has since languised in the reserves, He is now joint top scorer in the league and wanted by many European clubs again,

Also I have picked up lots of great youth players at cheap prices that are now after 4-5 years making the England squad, the probelm is they often want to leave, but i just keep on offering small wages rises every year and their unhappines seems to go away.

As as for the suggestion that the whole scenario of taking BSP league teams to the prem is unrealsitic, it may be, but it is extrmely fun.

Being in the Premiership and receiving £30bazillion pounds in TV money is not my gripe. I can easily see how surviving in the Premiership is possible.

It's getting TO the Premiership that is unrealistic. It's just isn't possible to get back-to-back promotion in four years, as a club's infrastructure can't support it.

You would have to replace 50% of your squad each season, with players of a calibre equal to or better than the league you have been promoted to, but the better players don't want to sign for newly promoted clubs.

Couple that with the quality (and number) of coaching staff, training facilities, and general stadium condition, you should be lucky to achieve two promotions in consecutive seasons, let alone four.

Think in real terms - is a Premiership quality striker, whatever his age, going to want to sign for a club that has some dumbells and a running machine as it's training facilities? A physio that doubles up to help out the local netball team? Play on a pitch that is mostly mud and has no nets in the goals except on match days? Is going to want to hear the roar of 468 fans in the terrace behind the goal calling his name?

:D

Im sorry but there is something seriously wrong with the game if you can take bognor regis to the premiership in four seasons. the game need to be made much harder in my opinion especially concerning back to back promotions. so many people have done it - it doesnt seem like an achievment at all. it seems to me the hardest thing to do on the game would be to win the world cup with a team outside the top 50 in the world rankings.

proggresion up the leagues imo should mainly be down to when you do a good job or get a promotion (Maybe even 2) clubs in higher leagues will come looking for you and then you can dedide whether to go and move your career on or else struggle it out in the lower leagues. I think it should take at least 30 seasons to get a team like bognor Regis to the premier league

If you want this sort of experience rather than realism just play championship manager. then let football manager reach even greater levels of realism. Its astonishing how after 2 seasons the big 4 is totally broken up with chelsea and liverpool often in 6th or 7th. its just not going to happen!

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying but there is no way I would swap to Championship Manager!!!!

Realistic or not I am having a great time

Think in real terms - is a Premiership quality striker, whatever his age, going to want to sign for a club that has some dumbells and a running machine as it's training facilities? A physio that doubles up to help out the local netball team? Play on a pitch that is mostly mud and has no nets in the goals except on match days? Is going to want to hear the roar of 468 fans in the terrace behind the goal calling his name?

:D

Perhaps the probelm then is the lack of consideration a player takes in regards to training facility when moving clubs. As i said i am now in the prem with braintree, my reputation has risen greatly but i still only have basic training facilities, This has not stopped world class players joining my team.

I think with a lot of my current players money talks. When competing for a player with teams with better facility i always offer more wages than the player is asking. I am sure this happens IRL as newly promoted permiership teams often have to offer high wages to sign sometimes unproven prem players.

As you said RichardW, money talks. How many transfers now days is down to people wanting more money their reason for joining a new club.

With regards to the big teams droppin away (pool - Chelsea) i can't see it happening in the near future but you never know what other billionaire's are going to buy new clubs and turn them into the new Chelsea.

I used to have players reject me because of the quality of my training facilities was dirt poor, and so-and-so's club was much better.

Perhaps SI forgot to code this for FM09.

Im not sure about this tbh - yes taking 4 seasons is too short a time but bear in mind FM is still a game of chance where if you get players with stats in the right places anything can happen. 30 seasons to get into the PL, you ask a team like Fulham or Wigan how long it took them to get from the basement league into the Premiership ;).

You go on about it being the big 4 broken up - but it was only 4 or so years ago the likes of Newcastle and Leeds were in that big 4 IRL, and Villa or Everton will both go past Arsenal soon unless Wenger starts to splash the cash.

With regard to back-to-back promotions it really isnt that strange - my team Peterborough and Exeter have this season completed back to back promotions IRL, and Dagenham werent far off last and many many teams before them.

This is a game - making it too tough will put off a hell of a lot of people, it should be a challenge but these things should be possible if you work hard, dont take it too seriously.....also set your own goals, just because someone else can do this doesnt mean you can, but that doesnt mean you cant be happy with the job your doing.

Back to back promotion is rare indeed but certainly not impossible. But how do those teams cope after their second promotion in two years? Do they then challenge for a third successive promotion? No, they struggle against relegation, because all the teams in their new league are at least one division better.

It takes a long time to get established in a new league, not least because the players aren't interested in signing for a team that is likely to get relegated.

Back to back promotion is rare indeed but certainly not impossible. But how do those teams cope after their second promotion in two years? Do they then challenge for a third successive promotion? No, they struggle against relegation, because all the teams in their new league are at least one division better.

It takes a long time to get established in a new league, not least because the players aren't interested in signing for a team that is likely to get relegated.

i've done it in 5 seasons with Wrexham:-

BSP -> Lge2 -> Lge1 -> Championship -> Championship -> Premier League

easy enough to get from BSP to the Championship, but it's a big step up in class....

luckily for me, my only decent striker got injured early in my first Championship season, and was out until January, cue long season of mid-table struggle....

it's as well, as the squad would never have survived the Premiership, and it gave me another season to recuit and rebuild....

League 1 can be tricky too, as by the time you get there, Championship teams will have been relegated, and tend to have much stonger squads - Crystal Palace and Sheff Utd were there on my save, but they were pants, despite having good squads....

think we beat Norwich or Swindon in the play-off final in the end that year!

didn't even win the Championship to get promotion to the Premier League - had to settle for runners-up as Sunderland ran away with it - all counts though!

had a better squad thanks to the extra year in the Championship, and survived the Premiership quite easily - took another 4 seasons to win the Premier and Champions League double though! :D

Indeed! I'm managing Wimbledon and got straight promotions from Blue Square South to Coca Cola League 2 but after 3 games (1 win, 1 loss, 1 draw) I'm rather sure I'm not getting any more points now.

(btw, is there a guide to strengthen your team when you had too many straight promotions?)

Archived