Closed Thread

Thread: Will you buy FM09 in Oct or wait untill Feb09?

Amateur

It seems like Si Games has a rigid itinerary for their FM series, they release the game in Oct,then appease the masses and fix "some" issues and bugs a few weeks later and in February, 5 months after the game is out they release a 2nd and final patch which should (hopefully) make the game as good as it can be.
    Knowing all this will you guys - the consumers - buy the game on release (something i've done for over 12 years) or will you wait untill February to buy it?

Personally, being so dissapointed with this current release ( i refer specifically to the match engine )i am almost certainly going to wait untill Official Patch 2 comes out in future.

Amateur

It seems like Si Games has a rigid itinerary for their FM series, they release the game in Oct,then appease the masses and fix "some" issues and bugs a few weeks later and in February, 5 months after the game is out they release a 2nd and final patch which should (hopefully) make the game as good as it can be.
    Knowing all this will you guys - the consumers - buy the game on release (something i've done for over 12 years) or will you wait untill February to buy it?

Personally, being so dissapointed with this current release ( i refer specifically to the match engine )i am almost certainly going to wait untill Official Patch 2 comes out in future.

Buy it in October, or in November which is my birthday. Next.

Part-Timer

Probaly buy it then spend all my time on here moaning about it.

Amateur

I think I'll actually wait until the first patch next year. All that happened this year was that I bought the game and didn't play it until the first patch was out. Just stuck with FM07 while waiting.

Third Team

Probably Christmas. If what I hear on the forum is good then earlier, if what I hear on the forums are bad then later.

Part-Timer

I'll buy it as soon as it comes out.

Semi Pro
    Gundo's FM14 European Adventure Challenge™ (CSE Forum)

I'll get it when it's first released.

Third Team

FM 09 hasn't been announced yet.

Amateur

Same as this year's version: wait untill a patch, see the reaction. Then decide to buy or wait some more.

It the upcoming patch fixes all the problems, I'll probably get a cheaper game than if I bought it in November, and one that I can really play "out of the box".

I have to say that it was pretty easy not to buy it (straight away) this year because nothing much has really changed the game from my experience with the demo. So maybe EVEN if the patch fixes everything I might still pass on it.

Part-timer

I'll decide after playing the demo.

Third Team

As per every year for the last god knows how many I'll get it for my birthday in November, I'll then generally wait until the X.01 patch is out if not already released.

Semi Pro

If FM08 isn't fixed in 8.0.2, i won't buy it at all

Reserves

quote:
    Originally posted by deadeyedunc:
    I think I'll actually wait until the first patch next year. All that happened this year was that I bought the game and didn't play it until the first patch was out. Just stuck with FM07 while waiting.

Whs, except I'm still not playing it and have sold my copy of FM08.

Amateur

This was the first Champ/FM that I havent purchased on release in about ten years (That 96/97 update lol)

And I am bloody glad I waited until the other week. I will probably wait again next year.

Amateur

I want to wait until 1st patch at least, but i am sure i buy it sooner knowing myself.

Part-timer

Of course I will buy FM09, I love the Football Manager and it's just too addictive NOT to buy it.

Amateur

I'll get twitchy by summer, wait for the demo, buy it on day 1 and will then moan about it for the rest of the year on these forums

Amateur

depends on what the general consensus is on its bugginess

Part-Timer

i get it every christmas, which is after first patch which is good enough for me

Semi Pro
    I'm in the hall of shame in FM08 - most goals scored by a relegated team - 101

For the first time since it first came out - no.

Amateur

Everyone says they're goping to buy it in November but when the excitement builds they always give in!

Amateur

Unless there is gonna be a league editor with the ability to add your own leagues like the baltic states and lower english divisions I wont bother .

Semi Pro

I wont buy it at all unless the demo shows a significant advancement over FM08 in all areas.

Amateur

Don't know if I play fm09 at all. Haven't bothered to install the game since I reinstalled my computer.

Without editor tools like scout I feel it's to much effort and/or to time consuming to deal with versus what I get out of it. And sadly the scout and other tools seems to be one man works that you never know if they are going to turn up or not/when. Great efforts for sure but not very timely.

Maybe I feel different a year from know. But I started to feel rather bored with the game. Even if there are some new things in the game every year it still feels like the same game - like I could do with CM03-04 really.

I'm actually outside Game now on my laptop in my tent waiting for the release.

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by TesBramble:
    I'm actually outside Game now on my laptop in my tent waiting for the release.

Pick me up a copy of 09 whilt your there lol

I buy Fm religiously every year so i usually get it on the day of release, or pre-order it on gameplay and get it the day before

Amateur

I'm just going to skip FM09 all together unless SI finally make changes to tactics and match analysis.

CM4 was released a long time ago, I'm frustrated that SI don't even attempt to perfect tactical settings even more each year. It seems the match engine is so tightly bound to how tactics are currently configured, they have no interest in developing this side of the game further.

Each year since CM4 was released there have been threads started by people asking for less ambiguous tactical settings and greater match analysis information. Each year it goes ignored and we are still left to scratch our heads in frustration on what everything means and how it relates to the 2D match view.

Perhaps this will be CM's year for a quality game so we can have a real alternative.

Amateur

Chances are I'll preorder it, or if not go to a shop on day of release and play religiously for a few days

Amateur

No rush this time, I'll keep my money in my pocket until the majority feel the game is at an acceptable level of playability.

Amateur

If we buy by Feb, then it would be 6-9 months more before the next version is out.

Also, I've some reservations on buying a new version each year now as I could only see very little improvements or worse when there are even more problems.

Amateur

Wait until the feedback is promising on the forum.

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by asshole182:
    depends on what the general consensus is on its bugginess

It's kinda sad that we expect every version out of the box to be bugged. If FM 09 is the first version that is totally bug free, I'm sure everyone here would snap it up before Dec.

Amateur

Probably pre-order

and if it is simply for collection reasons I got them all so far, so why stop now... even so I will be a father by then, so I probably will have other worries. Maybe I should pre-order it now already

Sports Interactive

PSN: TerScotland79

opul - could you please stop including that addition to your posts. We have a no advertising rule of the forums and signatures are disabled

Be interesting to see how many of the people who say they are going to wait are going to be tempted when they see what the game is going to be like

Third Team
    Probably the only Chinese guy goes to Leeds' away game. Occasionally accompany by the missus

i always buy it when it come out. it's not like it's that expensive, like buying a car for example.

Reserves

I'll be buying it when it's released. When FM08 first came out I used the time before the first beta patch came out to have a quick game and learn some of the new features and I enjoyed it. When the first beta patch came out I started my first 'proper' game with Man Utd and enjoyed that.

Then when the full 8.0.1 patch came out I started my long term carrer game with Gateshead and I'm enjoying that one immensly. I've never seen anything that I'd say made the game remotely unplayable so yes, I'll be buying '09 when it first comes out and agaion following the above format.

Sports Interactive

quote:
    I'll be buying it when it's released. When FM08 first came out I used the time before the first beta patch came out to have a quick game and learn some of the new features and I enjoyed it. When the first beta patch came out I started my first 'proper' game with Man Utd and enjoyed that.

That's what I used to do with the demo. Use that to find some players, get a tactic and stuff sorted then I had a good starting point for starting when the game came out.

It'll be pre-ordered and I will have it for release day as always.

Moderator and Technical Support

I always get frustrated by the "obvious " bugs in each version, so I wll do what I have done for years and play the demo till at least the first patch is released.

Part-timer

ffs lads, '08 isn't even "Finished" yet (read: 8.0.2) and you're talking about '09??

Next you'll want to know when the first patch for '09 is due.

Patience patience patience....

Youth Team
    Wembley, Block 133, Row 23, Seat 296 - COME ON YOUR SPURRRRS!!!!

quote:
    Originally posted by Ter:

Be interesting to see how many of the people who say they are going to wait are going to be tempted when they see what the game is going to be like

I can identify with this- as I was tempted this year when I saw the demo match engine ( after being disappointed with FM07) and thought "oh they only have to sort out the closing down"......

Reserves

I'll decide after the demo.

Amateur

quote:
    quote:

That's what I used to do with the demo. Use that to find some players, get a tactic and stuff sorted then I had a good starting point for starting when the game came out.

So you're saying FM08 was in affect a demo version of 8.0.2?

I hope I can withstand the temptation & wait for FM10

Amateur

I've waited for the last patch this time around (before buying FM 08). But to be honest, after playing the demo and reading what others have said I still feel all the old problems are still there, namely that the game feels more like it has been designed to give experienced FM players a big challenge (even as big teams) rather than being a realistic simulation of real life football.

Will probably just keep waiting now until I play a demo that "feels right" again...and that I won't have to quit my job for just to win something with Chelsea!

Sports Interactive

quote:
    So you're saying FM08 was in affect a demo version of 8.0.2?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that I would play the six month demo when it was released before the game and use that to find some players, tactics etc then when the full game is released I would start a new game with that.

Amateur

I'll wait for opinions in this forum before I buy it and if it's anything like this year I won't buy it at all. I already have 3 of FM05 updated versions. I don't need one more.

Amateur

I'll wait to see how broken it is, then purchase after several patches and confirmed praise

Else wait for FM10 and repeat the process.

FM could do with some fresh ideas I think, as well as a focus on fun (without being Arcade/too easy).

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by eXistenZ:
    If FM08 isn't fixed in 8.0.2, i won't buy it at all

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by T4RG4:
    as well as a focus on fun (without being Arcade/too easy).

Totally agree. Realism is fine as long as the fun factor is not sacrificed in the name of it.

Amateur

I'll probably wait for the second patch (February/March). Near enough all of the bugs are gone by then. I just couldn't stand another year like when FM08 was released!

Part-Timer

I'll be getting it on release day as usual!

First Team Squad Member

I will wait for the reaction here, if I need to wait for a patch hopefully I will get it cheaper.

Youth Team

I'm amused by those who say that they'll skip 09 because the new releases always have flaws, and wait for FM10.

Following that logic, you don't really want FM10 because IT might have flaws, so you'd better wait for FM11. Oh, wait...FM11 will doubtless not be perfect, either, so, just to be on the safe side, better wait for FM12.

But then...

...just to be sure, everything should be perfect by FM39...whatever "perfect" is supposed to mean...

Amateur

quote:

You got me there!
    I think i will fail!
    The Demo, reviews, curiosity to much temptation for me, but i will try to wait until after patch 1.

Part-Timer

I'll probably buy FM09 if I haven't already bought FM08 by then (which my housemate is pestering me to do, but I haven't completed FM05 yet)

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by gunnerfan:
    I'm amused by those who say that they'll skip 09 because the new releases always have flaws, and wait for FM10.

Following that logic, you don't really want FM10 because IT might have flaws, so you'd better wait for FM11. Oh, wait...FM11 will doubtless not be perfect, either, so, just to be on the safe side, better wait for FM12.

But then...

...just to be sure, everything should be perfect by FM39...whatever "perfect" is supposed to mean...

I don't think they should be as flawed as they are each and every year which I'm amazed at consider SI have been making this type of game for years. If each subsequent release is as big a let down (in terms of features AND bugs) as '08 I will indeed skip them all, dare I say try games from other developers.

Amateur

I guess i will buy it at release but i usually have a 2 chance rule when it comes to games and if i rate them poor or not. I ended up not buying fifa this year which turned out decent cause of this lol. Anyway pro evo for ps3 and fm 08 have had first chance i guess if they **** up the next versions aswell then i will wait for the next versions after that.

Amateur

I can tell you 100% that I will NOT be buying FM 2009 upon release date.

I will wait a few weeks/months and keep an eye on these forums, and see if we have been shafted like we were for many weeks (in my opinion) with bug after bug after buying 08 as soon as it was released.

Once bitten, twice shy (Si)

Amateur

I will buy it and report the bugs so that other people won't make the same mistake as me(and that they wait untill feb).

Its a double feeling if we all wait untill feb there arent enough bug reports if we buy it all at the release this problem is going to occur every year.

SI don't get sloppy.

Amateur

After buying it on release for years I think for the next version I will wait and see what the reaction is on the forum before purchasing it.

I will download the demo just to see what's new, but if it follows the same pattern as this years version then I'll be waiting until February because so far with FM08 I haven't got going yet. I do hope the patch is released soon though as i'm very bored at the min.

Amateur

FM 08 been a friggin disaster really with all its problems ,still in demo mode LOL

Amateur

Its been the most disappointing FM yet, Im not addicted to it as i used to be. With that in mind im going to see what the forums say when FM09 is released and play it by there.

Youth Team

quote:
    Originally posted by T4RG4:
    I don't think they should be as flawed as they are each and every year which I'm amazed at consider SI have been making this type of game for years. If each subsequent release is as big a let down (in terms of features AND bugs) as '08 I will indeed skip them all, dare I say try games from other developers.

Actually, I think that the "letdown" is increasingly exaggerated with each passing year, given the nature of the bugs that pop up. Despite a few minor issues, I found FM08 very playable out-of-the-box. I remember CM3 and CM4, where playing pre-patched games was an act of will.

In terms of features, I thought the improvements in 08 were more subtle than in the past, but definitely (IMO) worthwhile.

Guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.

08 definitly has some non-minor issues, but if you look through this forum there's maybe 3 different issues that people are really angry about.

In previous games that anger was never focused on such a small number of issues, so the reaction to this year's game seems far worse than previous versions.

Well, that and the recent influx of quite horrible children into these forums.

As for me, I'm hoping to get the game for free again

Amateur

I will have it pre-ordered, but won't pick it up until I am in Europe. I just wish it was easy to go pick in the US. Hard to find the World Soccer Manager on shelves around here.

Star Player

Whether I buy it or not purely depends on the quality of the FM 2009 demo to be honest - same as it does every year.

Amateur

I will definitely wait to hear what people say about it before I buy the 2009 version. For the first time, I am so sick of the current version that I have actually gone backwards and am currently enjoying a 7.0.2 game while I wait to see if 8.0.2 is worth starting a new game on.

Amateur

For the first time ever I don't think I'll bother with getting the latest FM.

Amateur

How can you judge whether you will like the game on other's opinions.
    I haven't had 90% of the problems other people continuously moan about. I will be getting the game as soon as it comes out and not letting a few niggles get in the way of enjoying a brilliant game as usual.

Amateur

I would wait and review the criticisms of the game on the forums before anything else.

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by rwq:
    How can you judge whether you will like the game on other's opinions.
    I haven't had 90% of the problems other people continuously moan about. I will be getting the game as soon as it comes out and not letting a
    few niggles get in the way of enjoying a brilliant game as usual.

Being an old gamer i think that the best way of judging a game is reading negative comments , gamers are the best reviewers and they can give detailed info on the fields where a game lacks quality.Site professional reviewers will sell their soul to the devil for anything exclusive.

Playing the demo doesn't mean anything, my biggest concern in 07 was the super gray players teams used in European competitions, in the demo everything looked as it should but in the full game it was all crap again .

Of course there is a 3rd way of testing if you like a game or not but mentioning this will get me banned.

andygregory

quote:
    Originally posted by aston_martin:
    Probably Christmas. If what I hear on the forum is good then earlier, if what I hear on the forums are bad then later.

me too, I tend to wait until the paying public beta test it for me, and SI have ironed out the problems that were missed by the pre-release beta testers. Still waiting to read the comments on 8.0.2 before I buy FM2008.

Amateur

It's a great shame really, FM 09 (if/when it's out) will be the first FM game that I will not buy very soon after release date. I will wait and see what the feeling about 09 will be like on the forum. If SI are shoddy like I believe they were in October for the release of FM 08, then my hard earned cash will be well saved.

Let's hope SI get their act together and release a more 'complete' game.

Let's see what BGS come up with in CM09. This year's game is getting there.

SI absolutely have to package the game with a skin that doesn't offend my eyes next time or I'll have to wait for a user to come up with something before I'll even consider buying FM09. And that's before we even get into the game itself.

I decided to play FM 2007 untill FM08 is ready for long career game... probably never will. So FM07 --> FM09 should be nice improvement.

Amateur

I'l be buying fm 09 the day it gets released.

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by something less annoying:
    Let's see what BGS come up with in CM09. This year's game is getting there.

SI absolutely have to package the game with a skin that doesn't offend my eyes next time or I'll have to wait for a user to come up with something before I'll even consider buying FM09. And that's before we even get into the game itself.

What is about FM08's skin you don't like may I ask? Personally I think it's the best one yet and doesn't make the game look like some shareware title. All past skins looked unprofessional in my opinion.

Part-timer

quote:

its going to take more than new features to tempt me to buy on release date next year.

working features on the other hand maybe, but if whats planned for 09 is implemented as badly as, lets see, the fan confidence then wheres the hook thats going to make me want to buy right away and not when it will be fixed, a few patches later, where the game's RRP will go down to about £10-15?

quote:
    Originally posted by Powermonger:
    What is about FM08's skin you don't like may I ask? Personally I think it's the best one yet and doesn't make the game look like some shareware title. All past skins looked unprofessional in my opinion.

agreed, i actually like this years skin, last years green one looks very unprofessional imo and i changed it as soon as i could.

Amateur

quote:

I know this was directed at somebody else but since I agree I figured I would answer - I personally do not like the 08 skin because it is just too bright and not that interesting to me while the 07 skin is more homey and the green color makes me think of the grass on a field and gets me in the mood to play (and to stick around for a while).

Amateur

I will buy it when it is released. Rather then waiting until mid season. When there will be no point in buying it later then Feb cause the football season is near its end.

Part-timer

I have to confess that for the first time ever I wish I had stuck with the previous version of FM.

I'm so disappointed with this years version, and will be waiting quite some time next year to see whether it appears worth buying.

Closed Thread