Football Manager Handheld 2007

• SI Staff

New feature and new league features for Football Manager 2007 are now blogged.

You can read the blog on our myspace area - www.myspace.com/sigames

You do not need to be registered to see the blog.

As always, a round up of this weeks blogs will be available at www.sigames.com at the end of the week, along with some screenshots from FMH.

• SI Staff

New feature and new league features for Football Manager 2007 are now blogged.

You can read the blog on our myspace area - www.myspace.com/sigames

You do not need to be registered to see the blog.

As always, a round up of this weeks blogs will be available at www.sigames.com at the end of the week, along with some screenshots from FMH.

The new PSP game needs to make the player feel involved more. I got bored very quickly of the first PSP game, because once you'd spent your transfer money all you did till the end of the season was swap your suspended/injured players in the team until the season had finished.

If it can make you feel more involved, i'd be more likely to want to pick it up for a game.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LFC Lloydy:

A quick question,are you able to manage any nation like the pc version or will it only be a select few countries. Will it be limited to the nations with playable leagues.Also,will scouts workin the same way to the new pc scouting module? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works the same was as on PC - any nation with over a certain amount of players is manageable.

(it also 'knows' your managing a nation and increases the number of regens for that nation slightly to give you more choice)

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Williams:

I really know I shouldn't ask but does anyone have any idea about when the game will go into manufacture </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be ready when its ready I'm afraid ...

(but it'll be before christmas)

As Younger Crayola said, has the tactics been improved so we can create our own? And also, on the multiplayer front, can we have a game like a network PC game? So it is saved on one persons PSP and loaded and people join back to their team? The term 'friendly game' makes it sound to me like a it's a one off match between 2 players squads...

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonno-Blood:

As Younger Crayola said, has the tactics been improved so we can create our own? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactically its very similar to the initial version it isn't meant to be as in depth as the PC version.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And also, on the multiplayer front, can we have a game like a network PC game? So it is saved on one persons PSP and loaded and people join back to their team? The term 'friendly game' makes it sound to me like a it's a one off match between 2 players squads... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is indeed one off matches - again its not meant to be a huge lengthy experience like a PC network game because thats generally not how people play PSP games ... its the type of thing where on say a school bus you can play a couple of matches against mates to prove your undoubted superiority before you get off at the other end ..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonno-Blood:

As Younger Crayola said, has the tactics been improved so we can create our own? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tactically its very similar to the initial version it isn't meant to be as in depth as the PC version.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as I appreciate that, your original reasoning was to create a pick-up-and-play game that people could rattle through. Having a little more tactical flexibility wouldn't alter this dynamic - the game is still fast, it still focusses on your first team and one league only, it's still streamlined to keep you in the action.

Tweaking tactics is gameplay. Gameplay is a good thing.

I found FM Handheld got tired real quickly once I started winning, because by that point I was just clicking continue and watching a result pan out. Part of this problem seemed to be a balancing issue with transfers (after all, I won the FA Cup as a League One side without any difficulty, and most of my players would have walked into any Premiership side at this point - and nope, I had no Brazilian wonderkids), which I assume has been tweaked, but my enthusiasm waned because at the end of the day there wasn't much to it. I picked a squad, I won games. Starting a new game would have resulted in the same scenario.

Would a little more tactical depth change this? Perhaps not - the problems do lie elsewhere. But it does give you something more to get your teeth into on a daily basis, and something to experiment with when you have the game mastered. This time out, at least, there's international football which can't be bested by throwing money at it, but won't that just be even more frustrating when you haven't the tactical depth you need to get the best out of a poor batch of players?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avanti:

sorry to ask but is there a reserve/youth team? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in this version - although where appropriate (ie. Italy, Spain etc.) there are B-teams for the relevant clubs.

PS> Apologies for missing your post initially .. its my youngest sons birthday today so my online time was extremely patchy until he went to bed ... been busy with a house full of 4 year olds icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It'll be ready when its ready I'm afraid ...

(but it'll be before christmas) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So, its out before christmas! icon14.gif My broken arm has the cast removed in middle of december so i got something to look foward to!

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Dissapointed that the English conference divisions havent made it in icon_frown.gif

Fog of war though icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought the for of war would appeal to you bell icon_biggrin.gif

With regards to the conference north/south ... they take up quite a bit of memory space which is why we haven't crammed them in yet (imho evolving the gameplay further was most important for this version).

For next years version we'll obviously be listening to requests from users as to how to evolve it further again ..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

Younger Crayola: We're not ruling out improving or expanding on the tactical side of the game in the future. It's definitely something we will consider going forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this aspect is really the main reason I didn't get into the game. I'm pretty sure the older versions of CM used to have more tactical flexbility...if you're losing a game this is where I would normally go to fix things...

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway...can we change the position of the text commentary? It's been a very long time since I've played but were we able to have commentary appear in the middle part of the screen in FM06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit too late in the day for this version - it was originally changed positioning because of legal reasons when we changed brand - I'll check next year with the legal people if we can move it about or not now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway...can we change the position of the text commentary? It's been a very long time since I've played but were we able to have commentary appear in the middle part of the screen in FM06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit too late in the day for this version - it was originally changed positioning because of legal reasons when we changed brand - I'll check next year with the legal people if we can move it about or not now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

I think even being able to put it above the match data, towards the top would be have been nice. Oh well.

thats for the game, not the demo lol.

just come on give us a little bit closer to what you think, just give us some more details.

sorry for being a pain in the ass but i am really impatient and others are to, we really want to play this masterpiece icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Sorry guys - for those waiting for screenshots, these are going to be next week now, as the legal approvals haven't come through yet icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shame, was looking foward to seeing them icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

I'm sorry you're being a pain in the ass too. Patience is a virtue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha pwned icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Medion:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neil Dejyothin:

Younger Crayola: We're not ruling out improving or expanding on the tactical side of the game in the future. It's definitely something we will consider going forward. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this aspect is really the main reason I didn't get into the game. I'm pretty sure the older versions of CM used to have more tactical flexbility...if you're losing a game this is where I would normally go to fix things... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay so I know we still can not make custom formations BUT are there a lot more choices for formation this time around or at least variants?

Archived