Playing same save on diffenrent computers

Hi

I have FM08 installed on two different computers. I started a save on one computer and now I want to be able to continue it on the other one - how do I do that? Appearantly, it's not just as simple as copying the save file to the correspondent location on the other pc and then loading it...

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

Spookily, I was about to post the same question. I have just moved desks at work to a corner where no one can see me so my 1st thought was FM at work!!

I currently have 9.3 version but have downloaded all the patches, do I just need to download and install 9.3 on my work computer?

Also does it not matter about having the same backgrounds/facepacks etc on my work comp as my home one??

Thanks in advance.

You just need to transfer the save game into the save games location on the new/other computer and ensure you are using the same patch on each machine. If you are using an edited database you'll also need to transfer the database over and make sure it is in the same place as on the original computer.

True Frazer, you need to have installed all of the patches on the new PC that you have installed on the other PC

Thanks guys, it's probably the patch thing that caused the problems last time I tried, never thought of that.

Hope It'll work now :-)

Thanks guys, it's probably the patch thing that caused the problems last time I tried, never thought of that.

Hope It'll work now :-)

Ive just loaded my game from home on to my work computer,when it starts loading it says something along the lines of "can't find save file,loading default database".

It then loads my save game???

Seems a bit strange, is it anything to worry about?

Ive just loaded my game from home on to my work computer,when it starts loading it says something along the lines of "can't find save file,loading default database".

Do you have a newer patch installed on the work computer? Did you edit anything on the game?

You're probably missing some kind of file you used to start the game with on your other computer, either a graphics pack, or more likely a database.

I just use the USB method and it works fine (almost had a heart attack when I though I'd lost my USB though)

My only gripe about this method is the necessity to always have the stick on you to play

"The database folder with which this game was created could not be found. The game is now using the default database folder."

That is the same error I kept receiving. The save still loads and will work but I have read/and heard that this will result in long term errors (around the time when the game creates regens etc; depends on how different/heavily edited the dbs are). I have moved from my old pc (xp pro 32bit) to new pc (vista ulti 64bit). I have moved db's (all) into the documents folder which fm2007 seems to use for default saves, edited dbs. I even added all edited dbs to the main directory still no luck though.

Also did a test, in which I made a new (edited) db using the old computer and then made a new save game from that. I then loaded both onto usb stick and transferred them onto the new computer. Yet I still got the same kind of error so I think that there is something else that is causing this error.

After much testing I found out that the game looks for the same user. So you will need to make same windows user account name as on your old computer. This solved the problem for me.

Archived