Which is the Best Ever Version of FM/CM?

FM08 and all its assorted problems has left a slightly sour taste in my mouth, so I've decided to scrap this game until the new patch comes along. Of course, I can't be going until late feb/early march without any Football Manager - that'd be insane - so I figured I'd fire up one of the older versions for a bit of a kick around. I've pretty much got all of them floating around somewhere, so which do you remember being the best and why?

Thanks in advance.

FM08 and all its assorted problems has left a slightly sour taste in my mouth, so I've decided to scrap this game until the new patch comes along. Of course, I can't be going until late feb/early march without any Football Manager - that'd be insane - so I figured I'd fire up one of the older versions for a bit of a kick around. I've pretty much got all of them floating around somewhere, so which do you remember being the best and why?

Thanks in advance.

IMO, it's FM08, but that's not the answer you want.

Champ Manager 1996/97 was a great game, but the general consensus is that it's Champ Manager 2000/01, and it is a great game. I believe you can still buy it on Amazon or, failing that, eBay. Make sure the copy is legit though - there's a lot of pirated crap on eBay. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GrahamPoll'sPants:

Out of interest, what about the most challenging? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take your pick from any of the FM series (as opposed to the Champ Manager games).

Again, many people are saying FM08, which I'm not finding. IMO, the best game in the FM, aside from FM08, is FM07. I didn't really like FM06, and FM05 was a good game, but nothing like as good as FM07. But tastes are all subjective.

2007 was the best ever IMO, shame my one fuked up and the game never worked again, tried buying it and using the new disk but something fuked up with the Java thingy and wouldnt work again. Had to go back to playing 2006 for a while, was far too easy.

Still think Player Manager on the Amiga was one of my favourite manager games of all time even though the players were not players from real life.

I just dug out Champ Manager 00/01, which incidentally was the first CM I ever played, loaded up a new game with all the leagues running (I have a new computer since the last time I played it) and... it's kinda rubbish. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome in its day and had me hooked from the first minute - plus, I've bought every single one since - but it's just missing too many features we take for granted nowadays. I mean, seriously, no player/staff search filter? What, shall I go trudging through 1137 pages of text to find unemployed people? I think not.

For all its faults, I'll stick with FM08 - or reload 07 if things get really bad.

Thanks for your replies, at any rate.

I was definately a huge fan of 01/02, as I think are a lot of people who were playing the game at that time. It is widely acknowledged that CM4 was one of the worst, and I personally just saw CM03/04 as a expensive patch for it (although it did add a few extra bits of functionality).

CM01/02 was the game at its peak I believe. Very few bugs and was hugely addictive. Possibly a little easy depending how you played, but was very enjoyable. I feel since the change to CM4+, SI have sturggled a little with bugs etc as they have been trying to take the game forward.

I found FM05 far too easy at times, and FM06 was very similar. FM07 and FM08 have changed this and many people have started to find it a little more complicated to play. I for one enjoy this moe difficult approach, but can understand those who preferred it when the game was a little easier on the tactics etc.

01/02 was the one I enjoyed (and still enjoy!) the most. Almost bug free, runs fast and it is simple, yet deep enough. Maybe a bit on the easy side, but very, very enjoyable.

97/98 was my first, and the one that got me hooked up on the manager games. Oh, the hours I've spent on that game... I thought I'd never need another game.

03/04 is what CM4 was supposed to be. A nice game, but to be stuck with one speed setting for the 2d engine is the only reason I don't play it now. Of course, when it was released, we just didn't care.

All the FM releases have been decent enough, but not a single one of them got me hooked the way the old CMs did.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GrahamPoll'sPants:

I just dug out Champ Manager 00/01, which incidentally was the first CM I ever played, loaded up a new game with all the leagues running (I have a new computer since the last time I played it) and... it's kinda rubbish. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome in its day and had me hooked from the first minute - plus, I've bought every single one since - but it's just missing too many features we take for granted nowadays. I mean, seriously, no player/staff search filter? What, shall I go trudging through 1137 pages of text to find unemployed people? I think not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be pedantic - but yes there is one.

The 'big search' page you were looking at is an intelligent text only search for 'quick' look-ups of anything (try it, it'll match up things very quickly from some fairly obscure references).

The main search page has filters etc. as you'd expect and also has a nice match 'x' attributes out of the 'y' I've set on my filter.

(stops being pedantic ... icon_wink.gif )

I'd say FM07. I was playing this last night and to be honest I was thinking to myself "Do I really want to move to FM08 now? Not when Ipswich finally look like they'll survive more than one season in the Premiership this time..."

Summary so far:

People who can't decide between versions/people who like all of them icon_smile.gif - 2

FM Live (!) - 1

FM08 - 1

FM07 - 2

FM05 - 1

CM0102 - 5

CM97/98 - 1

I can understand the heady mixture of nostalgia and sheer quality that makes people plug for CM97/98 or CM01/02, which are the best examples of their era, but there's something intangiable about a fully patched FM07 (despite a surplus of ridiculously talented Irish players) that makes it my clear favourite.

Jimbokav - I did something similar recently with 01/02 (or 00/01 - I forget). It was entertaining for a while, but nothing like what you can do now. Still, it was good to sign Tonton Zola Mokouko again. :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Not to be pedantic - but yes there is one.

The 'big search' page you were looking at is an intelligent text only search for 'quick' look-ups of anything (try it, it'll match up things very quickly from some fairly obscure references).

The main search page has filters etc. as you'd expect and also has a nice match 'x' attributes out of the 'y' I've set on my filter.

(stops being pedantic ... icon_wink.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I sort of gave my life over to CM 00/01 but I don't remember ever spending 9 hours to search for a half decent Assistant Manager, so yeah, this makes sense. Thanks.

Hey, you know what you guys should do for your next game? Add the feature back in where you can click on a club's chairman in-game and get info on what he's all about - how ambitious, patient, et al. I know these stats still exist behind the scenes, but I'm thinking when a new chairman is installed during the game this would be a nice way of giving them a little personality and would also give the player a better idea of what they can expect than the somewhat vague news item employed currently. Yes, no?

I've enjoyed all the FMs - they are by far the most challenging. I was addicted to 01/02 and used to take a hour long train ride everyday just to play it. But I loved CM2 and it has to be my favourite.

The audible commentary was repetitive and nothing compared to today's standards (PES excluded), but it added so much atmosphere. I might have to dig my disc out now. I miss you, Clive icon_frown.gif

I'm going real old school I loved champ manager 93 season and they released an update disk for it which had Klinnsmann on it and I thought it was the nuts me and my mate played it endlessly it started my addiction I think lol.

FM2005 saw my greatest ever save - 40 seasons of gold, now sadly lost to a hard drive crash icon_mad.gif So i greatly enjoyed that

I remember enjoying CM03/04 but cant remember how good i was!!!

CM01/02 was brilliant, all my housemates still play it, i may go back for old times sake.........

CM3 and CM4 sucked arse, purely because they were the 1st of their generation

CM97/98 was my first, it took my CM virginity and i never looked back!! icon_biggrin.gif

My top 3 are probably

1. FM2005

2. CM01/02

3. CM97/98(although if i could remember CM03/04 better that may sneak in here!)

I've enjoyed most of them tbh. 97/98 and 01/02 were the best and 08 is..well damn hard!

But I can still remember CM 93 for my old Amiga 600............class.

I used to pick my team/leagues...........then go out for an hour or so.....come back and it would just have finished setting up lol!!

I started playing in 96-97. I dont remember exactly, maybe it's 98-99. From that year on you can sign players 6 months ahead of contract expiry on Bosman ruling. It's so easy to sign loads of worldclass players without spending a penny on transfer fees.

I enjoyed CM 01/02 at the time and had some great games, but once the 2-d match engine arrived I have only ever gone back to 01/02. I played a whole season in super quick time, but it just wasn't the same any more.

03/04 I loved because you could build a team from youth players which I love to do, but it was a little too easy a game due to the over-reliance on physical attributes in the match engine, but AI not rating these highly compared to CA and PA.

I've had long-term games also in FM06 (Grindavik/IA Akranes, Whitley Bay/Derby/Newcastle) and loved both, albeit there were some things that annoyed me, but that is true of any version of any game!

FM07 I have also had one very long and enjoyable game (Derby/Kilmarnock/Morton/Stockport mostly), but the lack of quality youth players in the leagues I am playing in (esp. from my own youth system) really disappoints me after the great days of 03/04.

The most exciting teams I've ever created though were all in FM06 (apart from some dominating teams in CM03/04 which don't really count!). For 6 months Whitley Bay played the most stunning football I've ever seen in any CM/FM whilst that Derby County team just scored and conceded goals for fun, as did my IA Akranes team and winning the Champions League with Grindavik may forever remain my best FM achievement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

I enjoyed CM 01/02 at the time and had some great games, but once the 2-d match engine arrived I have only ever gone back to 01/02 once. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived