Closed Thread

Thread: Nicknames

Amateur

Do you ever give players or staff nicknames? If so post your funniest here.

Never tried it myself.

Amateur

Do you ever give players or staff nicknames? If so post your funniest here.

Never tried it myself.

Part-Timer
    Having trouble communicating due to the language barrier

When i was in Africa i had two scouts...one was good with Judging Potential, and one was good with Judging Ability. Unfortunately they had similar (and bizarre) names, so i could never keep track of which one was which.

So i set their nicknames to be their regular full name with " - CA" and " - PA" at the end (as in "Janaid Ngwenya - CA") so i could remember which guy was which.

Other than that, i bought a Sri Lankan youngster whose name was P.A.R. Jayalath (that was his "full name" too). The initials were ****ing me off, so i nicknamed him "Jaya". Got used to it after a while, and it feels like a normal name in the game, like Ronaldo or something.

Part-Timer

I nicknamed one of my players Del because his surname was Trotta and his centre-midfeield partner was called Rodney

Third Team

When I get the new youth intake I always give the player my coach points out as most promising a nickname as an easy way to track them even if they do leave my club.

Semi Pro

I like to add Sir to the beginning of my name if i've won a load of trophies and think I deserve it

Third Team

With long-term save games, I get a bit frustrated at always seeing the same surnames, so I tend to start nicknaming promising youths to have less-common surnames.

I also give Brazilian and Spanish youths their real "full name" as a nickname, until they've earned that single-name status through some stellar feat of some sort.

Amateur

No amusing names for me, unless you count the assistant manager becoming ass man.
    I normally label all scouts as "scout ca/pa" and any coaches with decent scouting attributes get names as well (normally fit, att, def etc) with the ca/pa tacked on the end.
    It's much easier to judge how accurate your scout reports if you can see their abilities at the top of each report.

Amateur

I had a 6ft7 regen goal keeper called David Wilson but unfortunatly that clashed with my 5ft6 striker also David Wilson so I have nicknamed them Big Dave and Little Dave lol Im trying to find another David Wilson so I can have a Medium Dave aswell lol.

Semi Pro
    American + Reading fan = Always buying the away shirt ...

I use nicknames a lot.

One of my favorites was a Greek AMC I had in '06 named Christos Christanastanthopolis (or something like that) whom I nicked "Alphabet". In '07, I had a young FRED striker who showed great promise I named "The Kid". This year, I had that famous Namibian MC, Mxolosi Mtsetfuea, whom I've named "Mufasa" because I don't even want to try and say his name. Beniot Op De Beeck has become "Oppers", Jose Luis De La Torre has become "De La", Giovanni Manzoni = "The Man", Massimo Krapf was "Maximum" at first, but now is just "Max".

And so forth. Basically, if the name is too long or too unpronouncable, it gets a nickname. If the player is really good and I start calling him something else in my head, the label sticks.

Semi Pro
    American + Reading fan = Always buying the away shirt ...

dola, sorry ...

Oh, and my AssMan always gets "AssMan".

First Team

quote:
    Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):
    When i was in Africa i had two scouts...one was good with Judging Potential, and one was good with Judging Ability. Unfortunately they had similar (and bizarre) names, so i could never keep track of which one was which.

So i set their nicknames to be their regular full name with " - CA" and " - PA" at the end (as in "Janaid Ngwenya - CA") so i could remember which guy was which.

Other than that, i bought a Sri Lankan youngster whose name was P.A.R. Jayalath (that was his "full name" too). The initials were ****ing me off, so i nicknamed him "Jaya". Got used to it after a while, and it feels like a normal name in the game, like Ronaldo or something.

I quite often do that if i dislike a players name, or if i manage a club where i dont know who the players are.

I give nicknames to all of my players usually, but it would be something like the following...

"John Smith"

Nick name would become...

"John Smith***"

It helps me keep track of player potential and squad status. (I.E * = First Team Player, ** = Ritation Player, All the way down to ***** = Promising youth players.) . Those in my team with No * next to them means they get sold, released or whatever as soon as possible

First Team

quote:
    Originally posted by SSGTroyer:
    dola, sorry ...

Oh, and my AssMan always gets "AssMan".

With Staff i do something odd.

If i have a really good staff memeber, I edit his name to "Coach 1 - New Contract" .. and a bad staff member to "Coach 3 - No Contrct" ... otherwise come may when theres 300000 new contracts to renew, i just offer them to everyone, and get stuck with the same crappy ass staff for that season again

Amateur
    Drifting around the outer reaches of his own mind, attempting to find something valid to say

quote:
    Originally posted by SSGTroyer:
    I use nicknames a lot.
    Basically, if the name is too long or too unpronouncable, it gets a nickname. If the player is really good and I start calling him something else in my head, the label sticks.

Are you bobby robson in disguise?

Amateur

quote:
    Originally posted by dudester:
    When I get the new youth intake I always give the player my coach points out as most promising a nickname as an easy way to track them even if they do leave my club.

I kind of do the same, except i use his proper name but put ** after it.
    Apart from that I dont really use it. I did set alex fergusons nickname to "dickhead" on one game.

Amateur

i gave a nickname to Lassana Diarra of "Mr. Just Two Million" because Arsene Wenger bragged about getting him for such a low amount

however, this will probably change soon if he moves

Part-Timer

i might do this now, makes sense on some cases, but i feel that having the option to have a first name and then second name entered, like when you type in your own name at the beggining, would be more useful... does anyone else think?

First Team

quote:
    Originally posted by fatboyjohnmulhern:
    i might do this now, makes sense on some cases, but i feel that having the option to have a first name and then second name entered, like when you type in your own name at the beggining, would be more useful... does anyone else think?

Yea that would be better. That way I could name my new star striker after me and not have its as "Craig Douglas Scores" every time, instead it would be "Douglas gets the goal we alllll knew he would get"

Youth Team
    I used to chase eggs. Now I am just trying not to respond to eegits.

Like NepentheZ I give all my players nicknames and I use a code of full-stops and asterix's at the end to signify what my scouts/soaches think of them. I also usually only give players single name nicknames, (dunno why).

Every so often I do give players unusual nickames that might relate to something they did in a match, where they are from or something else.

"Super Kyle" was the first player I remember giving a nickname to.

I currently have a player called "Super Sub", who is my joint top-scorer despite not starting a single game this season .

Part-Timer

i think i mite start renaming my regens to knw hu is good

Amateur

I don't know weather hes real or a regen but i have brillant young goalkeeper called Tony Robinson who's namesake plays Baldrick in Blackadder so i called him that. I just hope any 'cunning plans' he has are better than the original Baldrick

Amateur

I've only once stuck with a player that I gave him a nickname.

It was in CM00/01 (the Blue one as I call it)

And I was manager of Leeds and youngster Shaun Allaway was in the squad. For some reason I gave him the name Tito, have no idea why but it stuck so well that he became my 1st choice and the nickname became to me as if it was his real name. Shame Tito never did live up to the hype in real life

Reserves
    www.footballmanagerwiki.co.uk - the ultimate Football Manager Resource!

Ive given Lassana Diarra and Jens Lehmann nicknames that i dont think id be allowed to post on this site!

NO ONE insults Wenger

Part-Timer
    Having trouble communicating due to the language barrier

I don't know if i can handle a player with a full name as the nickname, just to get **'s on to his name. It would start to get annoying seeing "Tony Wilson** passes the ball up the left", "Tony Wilson** is surely going to shoot from this range", "He collided with Tony Wilson**" (always the full name, i mean).

The Scout nicknames, and the one player, are the only times i have ever used nicknames.

Well, i also changed my own nickname to be my first name only, when i needed to post a video of me playing FM, so that my last name wouldn't be there.

Closed Thread