I haven't played FM in ages

I never thought this would happen but.... I think I've reached a pretty sad point in my life. After years of playing this game, I think I've just plain grown out of it. If not, then I've majorly lost interest. Every time my mind turns to it, I think "no, thanks". I find the game bores me, I find it makes me very grumpy and I find I can't get it to ever do what I want it to do.

It's strange, really. I won't be ranting or anything because I like to try and avoid that kind of thing. But... it's gotten to the point where I actually question myself when I play the game. I ask myself why I'm bothering and what I get from it. Plus, I hate starting new games at this time of year. Too much has happened in real life now and I just can't go back to July 2008.

I don't like feeling this way because I used to enjoy the game so much. But it's so repetitive now. It's been repetitive for years. Click, click, click. Process, process, process. Read one dull, uninteresting, unrealistic message. If I'm managing Alfreton Town, why are the media behaving exactly as they would if I was managing Man Utd?

That last paragraph probably sounds a bit ranty. I explicitly tried to avoid that! I guess I just had to share my feelings. The pleasure has slipped away. I admit that bad results have played their part. Why... why can't the game be a little easier? Yeah, I know there are other management games. But they don't have FM's database.

I actually feel really frustrated that, instead of using what little time I have to play FM playing it, I'm spending it trying to think of a way to get through this feeling. Falling out of love with the game is just a huge, crushing disappointment.

I tried starting a new save. I just felt instantly irritable as soon as the game loaded up. It was July 2008, which I hate. But I also hate holidaying forward. So, so frustrated.

I just don't like the person that FM turns me into. I never used to have this problem, but I cannot play the game and not feel frustrated, bitter, irritable and sometimes downright angry.

I too have been trying to awaken my keen interest in fm, new game after new game, nothing seems to re-kindle my interest.I also do not want thid to sound like a rant, there are many success stories on FM this year, I believe I have a sound knowledge of football, tactics, etc, however I can't get much to work for me (I await a cocky comment of someone know questioning my abilities).

It's a sad state of affairs as i love the game more than it likes me.

I agree 100%. The "magic" is missing for me. I have hardly touched this game in weeks. I do not want to start a new game as i find ALL the messing about too much. I started a long game (like i always do with a new FM) and keep the same game going thru all patches released, as i like to see my team in 25 yrs time. But it seems that FM is only made for "new" starts. Everybody seems to get poorer in the future, players you would NOT look twice at in 2009 are your best players in 2025.

Sad to say, it's just not that fun. Whatever that was changed (from my fave FM07) please take a deeper look and try to put the fun bk in. I know that there are fanboys who will disagree with me but this is MY opinion! To be quite honest, im looking forward to the new Champ Manager.

I feel what you say here it does P!$$ me of alot of the time they should do what Fifa Manager 09 have:Funner Features like managers life, youth camps and make your own stadium if you want just things to spice it up again

Well, I have to say, I totally disagree with that.

I agree 100%. The "magic" is missing for me. I have hardly touched this game in weeks. I do not want to start a new game as i find ALL the messing about too much. I started a long game (like i always do with a new FM) and keep the same game going thru all patches released, as i like to see my team in 25 yrs time. But it seems that FM is only made for "new" starts. Everybody seems to get poorer in the future, players you would NOT look twice at in 2009 are your best players in 2025.

Sad to say, it's just not that fun. Whatever that was changed (from my fave FM07) please take a deeper look and try to put the fun bk in. I know that there are fanboys who will disagree with me but this is MY opinion! To be quite honest, im looking forward to the new Champ Manager.

I'm sorry Mr. skingegg, but you can't call people "fanboys" just because the happen to disagree with you. Plenty of people will disagree with you and yet still have criticisms of their own about the game.

When you have no game in progress it can be hard to start a new game, i for one struggled when my game of 5 season's went corupt on me..

i think if you set your self a new challenge with a new team once you get a season into it you will enoy it again, it's hard starting a new game because of the perfection needed.

Mike7077: "I don't like feeling this way because I used to enjoy the game so much. But it's so repetitive now. It's been repetitive for years. Click, click, click. Process, process, process. Read one dull, uninteresting, unrealistic message. If I'm managing Alfreton Town, why are the media behaving exactly as they would if I was managing Man Utd?"

I completely agree with you.

I feel I know the game to well. I'm not saying I'm a FM genius, I just feel there's not much left to explore. I could try to start a new game with a new team, but in a few minutes I know what to do. I know which mentality to give, how much of creative freedom etc.

I don't win completely everything, but what I really want to win, I win.

These forums also ruin the game for me. I want to find all talents and massive improved players on my own. On FM2010 I will not be updating a thread about new talents, so that I could see who will be the next great on the game. I will do it on my own.

Just tried to continue an old save game. Guess what? I'm now in a foul mood. I guess I have to give up on this game. I mean, I get into a bad mood before I even start playing because I know that I'm just not gonna get what I want from the game. If the game can't give me what I want, surely my only choice is to accept that it's not for me anymore and leave it behind. I'm not arrogant enough to bother with a rant about how I want it to be because the game isn't made exclusively for me. I just don't see how anyone can find this game fun. I mean, it's incredibly dull. If the there was actually some sort of proper fuss when you achieve something, maybe it would liven it up a bit. But there never is. You just plough on into the future, clicking and clicking, processing and processing.

It's been repetitive for years. Click, click, click. Process, process, process. Read one dull, uninteresting, unrealistic message. If I'm managing Alfreton Town, why are the media behaving exactly as they would if I was managing Man Utd?

this sentance describes what I feel about the game perfectly. I can't get into it for years also, could live with all the things that bother me if I felt some excitment and pleasure playing the game like 10 years ago...

I guess we passed it but still haven't moved on.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I know that FM09 isn't as good as i'd hoped and I am fed up with the series, but boredom has forced my hand and I find myself returning to it, time and again. I don't like it, I just tolerate it, if CM09 was to shock us all and be half decent, i'd happily ditch FM, which is something i'd never have considered this time last year.

I know that FM09 isn't as good as i'd hoped and I am fed up with the series, but boredom has forced my hand and I find myself returning to it, time and again. I don't like it, I just tolerate it, if CM09 was to shock us all and be half decent, i'd happily ditch FM, which is something i'd never have considered this time last year.

I always expect (how stupid of me) that the next FM will bring something 'really new', maybe just a new feeling about it. I'm defenetly trying the CM demo when it comes out but don't expect too much..

I think my problem is that, for the first time in my life, my leisure time is at a premium. I don't have a great deal of free time. When I have free time, I want to sit down and be made to feel the way CM 97/98 made me feel when I was 12 or 13. But FM doesn't allow that. It's an all-consuming experience, and one that I defended regularly for a while. But I've come to realise that, for those of us with very little time on our hands, the game asks too much. Personally, I don't need to get a sense of being rewarded from a computer game. I'd be perfectly happy to load the game up and stroll to success. I don't have the time to pursue success through micro-management of tactics. I just can't face that. But FM09 seems to demand that of you.

^^

Pretty much sums up how I feel about huge chunks of the game, I find myself sitting rolling my eyes constantly as yet another boring highlight appears. It feels like effort to watch the match, it seems to take too long to play a match, clickity, click, clickity click. I don't want to set opposition instructions every bloomin game, I don't want to go through the motions of press conferences in the hope that my team don't end up hating me, I just want to sit back, relax and spend my free time having fun with a fun game.

I think I'm getting the feeling you are getting. I'm playing the LLM way on FM09 which definately makes it more interesting for me, but after doing 40 seasons, after a few promotions, a few relegations, some glory, some obscurity, some national jobs, some championships, some trohies, some mediocrity, I feel that there is nothing left for me to do. Should I take over a club that's just been promoted to the BSS? What's the point? Should I take over a team challenging for the EPL? What's the point? Maybe I'll build a team of young English stars, but the game won't realise my achievement, it will just be me. That used to be enough for me, just pleasing myself, but not at the moment. Maybe in future I'll get the urge to go back on it, maybe get the passion back. I hope so.

I'm sorry Mr. skingegg, but you can't call people "fanboys" just because the happen to disagree with you. Plenty of people will disagree with you and yet still have criticisms of their own about the game.

Actually, i can!! As it is MY opinion about how I, me, personally (as in NO ONE ELSE), feel about the game, you cannot change my mind about how i feel. You appear to have looked at my post but not read it.... But its OK, i forgive you, nice guy that i am :rolleyes:

Well, there's not much point in debating with someone who refuses to have their mind changed.

But anyway, my point was that it is unfair to brand anyone who disagrees with you a "fanboy".

Well that's not true because plenty of people older than me continue to enjoy a number of different video games. The need to be entertained and the need for escapism doesn't go away as you get older. Indeed, a complex game like FM has always seemed more geared to older people.

Yes but each person is an individual and the chances are these older people would be new to video games. You have been playing this game for years and maybe your mind needs a fresh challenge. Sure I could introduce this game to a pensioner and he/she could have a lot of fun for a while but eventually boredom would set in. And that applies to the whole concept of video games - they do become boring after a while.

You're just getting old.

It happens - people get old and they play golf with three-quarter swings or take up lawn bowling. Video games are for young people and if it's no fun it's because you're too old. No shame in that whatsoever.

What a pathetic post. That is completly ridiculous.

Video games are for young people just as knives and graffiting is, yeah? Just because some people find that, it doesn't mean everyone does.

I get very annoyed when people automatically assume that, just because I am only 15, I should be out kicking cats and killing grannies. Not everyone is like this, few people, infact.

So why, when someone starts to get older (and 24 isn't old btw) should they stop playing something?

Your post above is one of the ridiculous I've seen on the forum in a long time.

Stereo typing ftl :mad::(

Video games are for young people just as knives and graffiting is, yeah? Just because some people find that, it doesn't mean everyone does.

I get very annoyed when people automatically assume that, just because I am only 15, I should be out kicking cats and killing grannies. Not everyone is like this, few people, infact.

So why, when someone starts to get older (and 24 isn't old btw) should they stop playing something?

Atually my post was meant to be ironic but since you are only 15 I can forgive you for missing the irony.

OK video games are for everybody to enjoy if they want to. my dad's 50 in 2 weeks and still plays games on the PS3 as he relaxs while playing them. Also kickballz the way your post comes across is stereotyping 15 yr olds. You may not have meant it too but it does

Hmm...but I'm not.

How exactly am I stereotyping? because I suggested he may have missed the irony?

Well, by saying that you'll forgive him just because he's 15 suggests that you think all 15 year olds aren't as smart as yourself.

Anyway, I'm willing to drop this in case the thread is derailed even further.

Well that's not true because plenty of people older than me continue to enjoy a number of different video games. The need to be entertained and the need for escapism doesn't go away as you get older. Indeed, a complex game like FM has always seemed more geared to older people.

Have you had a look in the challenges thread? I really believe that may rekindle your interest. Also if it is the micro management that is a problem then there is good news as fm10 will have a new tactics wizard which by all accounts is something to look forward too! http://blogs.sega.com/fml/2009/03/18/tactical-theorems-frameworks/

don't give up just yet!

I'm assuming that that is meant to be ironic, or sarcastic, again. Either that or you really are a bit of a knob.

It was neither ironic nor sarcastic but whether I'm a 'knob' remains subjective. I merely gave you the benefit of the doubt after you misinterpreted my post. To clarify, I have nothing against young (or old) people and if you think I do (based on one post) then it is because you have inferred a meaning other than what I intended.

Well, by saying that you'll forgive him just because he's 15 suggests that you think all 15 year olds aren't as smart as yourself.

Anyway, I'm willing to drop this in case the thread is derailed even further.

Not at all, I never suggested that I thought 15 years olds were not smart. Look at his reply (and the one after) and you can see why I responded as I did. I merely was giving him the benefit of the doubt for what was clearly a misinterpretation of my post.

Some people seriously need to lighten up around here.

hi i need help!

at the start of the game two boxes come up in bottom right the corner

how do you get rid of the one that stays there? because mine is just blank

You using steam?

Go into steam settings and untick the 'enable steam community'

Actually when you get older you gain responsibilities. Housing costs, working 14 hours a day, wife, kids etc. I myself used to play this game everyday (its previous incarnations) but now i have some of the aforementioned things in my life i simply do not and can not play this game anymore. You will understand for yourself how much life takes out of your gaming time no matter how much of a nerd or geek you may be. Only the hard core geeks still play games all the time when they hit around 23+

Totally agree with the OP - becuase FM is so slow and TIME CONSUMING, everytime I now play, I feel like, whats the point? Its going to take me hours or end to complete a season and then Ill probably get bored of it, meaning ive just wasted 10 hours of my life. Im 17 and feel like ive pretty much grown out of it - on everyone one of the series from cm 01/02 to now, Ive taken my team, Carlisle United to the prem on all of them. On this game Ive yet to be bothered to take them out of League One.

If I was back aged 14 or something with all the time in the world I would probably be playing FM all the time, becuase back then Time wasnt an issue, but now, its just a waste of what little spare time I have. Ive now found myself going back to Cm 01/02, as I can play that whilst doing other things and have a good un, an impossible feat on FM.

You know, up until about a week or two ago I thought the same, I really didn't fancy playing FM at all, possibly ever again after the shambles that was 08. But then a friend of mine bought 09 and I started talking about it with him, giving him advice, and I thought 'what the hell' and bought FM09. It's been one of the most unexpectedly refreshing and rewarding things I've done for a while. I feel that while this game is far from easy, a little effort and more concentration and attention to detail can help you a lot, and make this very engaging.

I started off on CM3 and 00/01, which were challenging but somewhat simplistic and raw, which was good. Now it's more complicated, however I decided to have a proper go at a game this time round, and I've done training myself for the first time since 00/01 lol, I've picked a league which I would not normally play in (Portuguese 2nd Div) and a team which I honestly had not heard of, and I'm loving it.

I'm just about to start a the third season, I've done OK in the first couple, I've just brought in a few new players, and I'm raring to go and after promotion hopefully.

FM 09 has been a great, pleasant surprise for me! I'm 19 by the way and first played CM/FM when I was 11. When you get older, I think you just need maybe a different way of approaching something. I used to want the game to be easy. I tried playing FM08 as I did CM3 and did decidedly averagely. But now I'm relishing the challenge of competing in a very close league on a shoestring budget. I'm actually seeing my players improve, i'm still fairly poor with tactics, but it's good stuff and just as addictive as when I fired up 00/01 for the first time back in 2000.

Well, I have played it recently, having not done so for some weeks. I have to say that as far as 09 and all the patches go, steady improvements have been the name of the game. Slowly but surely the annoyingness is being removed. I can score regularly, my best striker story was adbayor with 41 in 52 appearances, injuries are under control, and if you don't buy massive players every window the league can be hard work.

However.

The only way to make this game interesting enough to make me want to play it regularly again is by fixing the tactics, and the repetitiveness.

Players have to have more plain common sense. Conceding corners from the center circle? 'Clearing' a ball into the middle of the field, to opp. attackers? From the CORNER FLAG? it is just simple simple stuff that you can't control.

For all the complicated fiddling with (worthwhile?) sliders and matching player's styles I still can't tell my players to JUST PLAY FOOTBALL. Like how I play football. Graft, composure, common sense.

It must be fixable. Please let it be fixable...

My humble fm2010 requests: Less money. Less sliders. More player talk options (in game and attribute related, eg Walcott "work on your headers son"). Coaching sessions.

Despite the big patch improvements, '09 is Chelsea under Mourinho. Solid but soulless.

My first FM was 07, and obviously not a tactical genius, I could get my players to do what I wanted (more or less) and get realistic results with the players I had. Same with 08. And no, I didn't know how to exploit the ME back then :)

09 is just impossible for me to get tactically, and I almost dread the thought of fiddling for hours. As abu said, less sliders, easier football related talk. Take it down to Sunday League (read understandable language), e.g "Put some more crosses in!" "Use the wings more!" "Pass it around a bit."

Much simpler than "Right then, simple easy game, lets keep it to; passing: 11, width: 9, mentality: 15, tempo: 15. Lets do it lads, easy win!"

Mike sounds he's suffering the classic symptoms of an addict. I know; I'm an FM addict too. Over the years there have been many times that I've been angry with the game for affecting my personal life and job, I've been bored, I've been frustrated, I've deleted all the files, put it away for months at a time .... and yet I always come back.

By the way, to the 17-year-old who's grown out of FM - I'm 47, young whipper-snapper!

Sometimes it's due to my circumstances changing and finding more free time or a tolerant partner; sometimes it's my craving or a new edition of the game - mostly a mix of the lot. But I always come back. My guess is that Mike will leave it a few weeks then return with zest to his real true love.

Archived