Football Manager on Linux

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

I believe you can get the FM08 demo (and most probably FM08 full version) to run in linux through Wine. I'd love to be able to switch full to Ubuntu but all the games I play are still Windows/Mac based mostly icon_frown.gif

Yeah, also through vmware, but neither of those are very efficient and both require windows to an extent.

Originally posted by VonBlade:

Never quite understood why people run a deliberately obtuse OS then complain that some software doesn't run on it.

Might as well complain that Forza doesn't run on a PS3 or Gran Turismo won't work on my Cube.

VB

I don't think obtuse is a fair comment, it's a much more efficient and productive environment, admittedly, it's behind in the gaming, but it would rub fm much better than vista, for example, would. Running notepad in vista probably uses more memory than half of my linux apps.

Never quite understood why people run a deliberately obtuse OS then complain that some software doesn't run on it.

Well naturally one of the reasons for people liking Linux is that it is Open Source and completely free, whereas you can expect to pay around £60 even for an OEM edition of Vista (using Amazon's current price) - unless you buy a system and it comes pre-installed of course. At least with the Linux systems you have a choice of many variations of the OS dependant on your needs, and none of them cost you a penny (unless you want them on an official CD rather than a direct download).

I regularly use a program called Blender (which is another Open Source free program very similar to 3d Studio) and it is incredible how much better it runs in a Linux environment than a Windows one. So my reason for wanting to run an 'obtuse OS' is that it can cut the amount of time I spend doing things by quite a significant margin. I have no experience on how FM plays through it though and have no need to find out really as I run a dual-boot system so I also have the Windows installation for games etc.

I can see why people would prefer a Linux option though. They're not THAT far behind the mainstream OS's any more in terms of what you can do with them and are a great solution for people that don't want to have to pay extra for an OS.

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

Well naturally one of the reasons for people liking Linux is that it is Open Source and completely free, whereas you can expect to pay around £60 even for an OEM edition of Vista (using Amazon's current price) - unless you buy a system and it comes pre-installed of course. At least with the Linux systems you have a choice of many variations of the OS dependant on your needs, and none of them cost you a penny (unless you want them on an official CD rather than a direct download).

I regularly use a program called Blender (which is another Open Source free program very similar to 3d Studio) and it is incredible how much better it runs in a Linux environment than a Windows one. So my reason for wanting to run an 'obtuse OS' is that it can cut the amount of time I spend doing things by quite a significant margin. I have no experience on how FM plays through it though and have no need to find out really as I run a dual-boot system so I also have the Windows installation for games etc.

I can see why people would prefer a Linux option though. They're not THAT far behind the mainstream OS's any more in terms of what you can do with them and are a great solution for people that don't want to have to pay extra for an OS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Additionally, in a lot of ways Linux is years ahead of windows and osx. Check out the desktop environment that i'm running... it's at least 10 years ahead of vista

Might as well complain that Forza doesn't run on a PS3 or Gran Turismo won't work on my Cube.

VB

Also relating to this, SI went out of their way to ensure that the game would run on Mac systems aswell as Windows. Linux is undoubtably the next biggest OS after this, so why is it unrealistic to think that it could be compatable in all these systems. Many other programs are, such as Firefox - which is a very widely known application that supports all 3.

Exactly. It's an OS designed for particular things. In the same way that OSX is only useful for ... erm... Photoshop, Linux is useful for a tiny proportion of heavyweight apps and so that people can proclaim that tarball -z fingersticker.nfs %12 is infinitely more sensible than just right-clicking.

I certainly wouldn't defend Vista though, in all it's bloatedness. Bleurgh.

I guess what I'm saying is that so few people actually run Linux (99% of people buy a PC and thusly get a free copy of windoze rather than build one and <STRIKE>download</STRIKE> buy a copy) that the market just isn't there.

VB

Exactly. It's an OS designed for particular things. In the same way that OSX is only useful for ... erm... Photoshop, Linux is useful for a tiny proportion of heavyweight apps and so that people can proclaim that tarball -z fingersticker.nfs %12 is infinitely more sensible than just right-clicking.

I certainly wouldn't defend Vista though, in all it's bloatedness. Bleurgh.

I guess what I'm saying is that so few people actually run Linux (99% of people buy a PC and thusly get a free copy of windoze rather than build one and <STRIKE>download</STRIKE> buy a copy) that the market just isn't there.

VB

Well, that's my point in the original post, it's getting there. Dell are now selling ubuntu machines for example... it's getting more and more popular as people abandon microsoft and their crap os factory

And that's my point in my post. You aren't (well, kinda) proclaiming Linux as great because it's easy to use, or has a breadth of software support. No, it's because it's not Micro$oft.

If M$ released the greatest free Linux distro ever created, people still wouldn't use it just because of who provides it, irrespective of any benefits it may have over a RedHat or similar.

Meh. This is rather off-topic.

Some of us can see the limitations of Microsoft's OSs and are not impressed by the gimmicky stuff that they are currently pushing to make Vista seem to be a massive step forward (It isn't) and are not happy to pay huge sums of money for their software simply because they have monopolised the market.

It's true that many software developers don't support Linux, but the only way to redress the balance is for more people to get involved. You're right in saying that only a small percentage of people use Linux, but the number is rising and developers are starting to take note.

It's a chicken and egg thing. The market is small because of the lack of support, but the support is lacking because of the small market.

But it's constantly on the rise and Linux OSs are now considered to be better, in many ways, than MS.

Personally, I dual boot Ubuntu and XP, but as soon as Linux support is incorporated into the software I use, both for business and pleasure, I'll be dropping XP for ever, which is no more than MS deserve!

To be totally honest, as much as I like OS's such as Ubuntu etc, I'm not totally against Microsoft in the way that many are.

The fact that they monopolised the industry did have one huge positive effect - and that was that you go into pretty much any shop and guarantee that the software you were buying would work on your computer, as pretty much everyone had the same thing. The way it is going now, it is getting more and more difficult for companies to release their software so that it satisfies everybody at the same time, simply because there is far more variety around.

One thing I allways liked a lot when using linux or (Free)BSD is that you can easily drop the eye candy if you want a more responsive system. Of course you can hog it like windows if you want to but it would make a great system for gaming if game developers and user not only followed the mass but tok the lead as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by brat:

Can anyone tell us if a no-cd patch is required to run an original copy of the FM 2008 version under Linux?

No need for it. I'm using wine at the moment and playing a legit game with the latest patch, and it's working fine.

To bad that network games don't work equally fine though.. Can't connect to other games and can't setup my own. Not really sure why though.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I had to keep an XP partition in order to play FM07 because it needed a No CD crack to work on Linux, although I think thats was Securom's fault rather than SI. Thankfully this year FM08 runs on Linux without the need for a crack, however there is no native Linux version of FM and it wouldn't be hard to implement. Much easier than a mac for example. So why doesn't SI do this, what can they lose?

Its now confirm that the full version of FM2008 does run under Wine and doesn't require a no-cd patch or anything similar.

1. Install Java. Either the version I've linked too, or the OP'ers version it doesn't matter, both seem to work.

2. Using the terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) type:

Code:

winecfg

At the bottom of the box that opens it says "Windows version", change this to XP.

3. Insert your game disk. It will probably place an icon on your desktop. Click on it and then Install the game by clicking the setup.exe file and following the instructions.

4. Play the game by typing into the terminal:

Code:

wine "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe"

Read more here; http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5883 and here ; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=573080&highlight=football+manager

Originally posted by Dappen:

The lack of game support for Linux is the only thing keeping me with Windows to be honest, if it wasn't for that it would be bye bye Microsoft from me.

It's a classic catch-22 isn't it... we're all still using windows because of games or other apps, and the developers won't develop linux versions of them because we're all using Windows.

Originally posted by Dappen:

The lack of game support for Linux is the only thing keeping me with Windows to be honest, if it wasn't for that it would be bye bye Microsoft from me.

Totally agreed.

For those who is using FM and Ubuntu. How does custom graphics work?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lamatxin

hi,

i've got ubuntu 7.10-amd64 and the original game.

i install the game and the update with any problem.

but when i start the game always appears this message: Insert original CD.

I install and reinstall the game and the wine; i try with wine in XP mode and in Vista mode, and always appear "insert original CD".

Anyone knows why? anyone knows how i can resolve this?

Is problem of amd64?

thanks

I have a question for those running under Ubuntu: does FaceGen work correctly and did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

Right now I have the game working fine (original CD and all), but my FaceGen players show up with just hair and a black background.

Originally posted by xaositec:

I have a question for those running under Ubuntu: does FaceGen work correctly and did you have to do anything special to get it to work?

When running FM 2008 on Fedora or Ubuntu I did not see any faces either.

Though there may be an answer here

• 1 month later...

Game works great on Linux, except two features:

1) Facegen only shows players' hair

2) I cannot setup a new network game, nor connect to other servers. I can, however, have people connect to my game.

Any help, especially on #2, appreciated. I find it very strange that people can connect to my game but that I cannot connect to other games.

FM group discussion here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=573080&highlight=football+manager

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have a go at this. Slowly becoming a Linux convert due to ist sheer speed and generally lovelyness. Gaming is the one big hurdle stopping me (but I only play FM08 and FM Live beta) and a script for a program that i will probably never get. (might run it under VMWare though)

facegen runs as a seperate application, which is fine in windows but in Wine, it could suffer from the old problem that linux is case sensitive and windows is not. try fiddling with capitalisation for facegen under wine

Just speculation, but I'd imagine the reason SI are <STRIKE>too lazy</STRIKE> reluctant to release a linux version, is the number of bugs they have to deal with already from their <STRIKE>bad</STRIKE> <STRIKE>rushed</STRIKE> complex code every year. For this reason I cant see them releasing a native version but apart from the terrible, terrible installer, Wine supports it perfectly.

Had a few problems getting this set up. Finally copied the folder from my Vista partition into my Wine folder and ran fm.exe under Wine and it works perfectly.

In a amazing show of how bloaty Vista i asked the game to reccomend a set up. Under Vista it reccomends just England to League 2. Under Ubunto it has said i should have England to league 2, Italy to Serie B, Scotland and Spain to Liga BBV.... all playable.

Amazing stuff. icon14.gif

Originally posted by bell:

Had a few problems getting this set up. Finally copied the folder from my Vista partition into my Wine folder and ran fm.exe under Wine and it works perfectly.

In a amazing show of how bloaty Vista i asked the game to reccomend a set up. Under Vista it reccomends just England to League 2. Under Ubunto it has said i should have England to league 2, Italy to Serie B, Scotland and Spain to Liga BBV.... all playable.

Amazing stuff. icon14.gif

I've been thinking of doing that to stop having to boot into Vista for gaming. Think I'll give it a go now icon_smile.gif

It works! It works really nicely! So much so that I'm not worried about having a firefox window open at the same time.

The only thing that was 'out of the ordinary' was that initially it couldn't find my save game, but it asked should it look in the default place, and it found it there.

The only in-game difference is that my edits to the names of the competitions are gone, strangely. Again, this is probably a paths/capitalisaton problem

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by GavinZac:

facegen runs as a seperate application, which is fine in windows but in Wine, it could suffer from the old problem that linux is case sensitive and windows is not. try fiddling with capitalisation for facegen under wine

What application is that, Gavin, do you know? Have you found it to work under Linux?

Originally posted by GavinZac:

The only in-game difference is that my edits to the names of the competitions are gone, strangely. Again, this is probably a paths/capitalisaton problem

Probably trying to find them in C:\My Documents\username\Sports Interactive\FM 2008 etc. Not sure how to get around that, unless it is called through editable XML.

Originally posted by gooooaaaaallll:

There is potentially a bigger market for linux since the ps3 can run linux. it would be great running fm08 on a ps3

Why would it be any better than running it on the PC?

What is it with the hate for M$? Windows is a great OS or it wouldn't have got where it is today. Now I agree that it could run faster if it wasnt for the extra graphics etc but Vista is a brilliant OS.

Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gooooaaaaallll:

There is potentially a bigger market for linux since the ps3 can run linux. it would be great running fm08 on a ps3

What is it with the hate for M$? Windows is a great OS or it wouldn't have got where it is today. Now I agree that it could run faster if it wasnt for the extra graphics etc but Vista is a brilliant OS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naive

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gooooaaaaallll:

What is it with the hate for M$? Windows is a great OS or it wouldn't have got where it is today. Now I agree that it could run faster if it wasnt for the extra graphics etc but Vista is a brilliant OS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not a hate. But Linux is a growing market and there are people who use it as their OS. I use it and find it better than Windows for my purposes. And it's free.

So it would be great if FM existed for my computer's Operating system! And it would probably run faster than FM, so it would also be good for those with dual boot computers, if they wanted to play the game faster.

It's not about hating Microsoft. It's about freedom of choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> It's not about hating Microsoft. It's about freedom of choice.

Maybe not for you, but Microsoft are like EA. People hate them for no good reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are good reasons; explore them.

Archived