Won't be buying FM09 next year until...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

Have you considered adjusting your tactics so this doesn't happen? It's very rare this ever happens to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having re-read your post I seem to have misunderstood your problem. Would it not be better to try the demo before deciding. Just because you weren't happy with FM08 doesn't mean you wont be with FM09.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bongo-Bongo:

Have you considered adjusting your tactics so this doesn't happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted for emphasis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

Have you considered adjusting your tactics so this doesn't happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted for emphasis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three times a charm!

icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

What I'm getting is you brought your goal keeper up for a corner and you were scored against?

If you're complaining about that, you truly are an idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what he's getting at is his keeper coming up when he's not instructed to do so.

Why would anyone have their keeper up for a corner when winning unless it was a knock out competition and they needed another goal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

What I'm getting is you brought your goal keeper up for a corner and you were scored against?

If you're complaining about that, you truly are an idiot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think what he's getting at is his keeper coming up when he's not instructed to do so.

Why would anyone have their keeper up for a corner when winning unless it was a knock out competition and they needed another goal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm now in 2018 with Gateshead and can honestly say that this has never once happened to me.

Is this a commen problem that people are getting? Or something that has just happened once to this particular poster?

• SI Staff

I had a pkm sent to me with this problem just the other day, and the keeper in question was set to go forward at corners by the tactics.

It could be that something got set by the user in error, or it could be some unknown UI bug I suppose. Without a save game from before it happens its impossible to tell.......

Paul

Another thing I've just noticed. You say you'll not be buying the next game until the first patch comes out, and then give this problem as a reason why.

Are you then saying that this was a problem you only experienced in the first patch that has now been fixed? If so then it's a bit late to be complaining about it. But if that's how you feel then it's very sensible to wait for the first patch. There's rarely a PC game released these days that doesn't need a patch of some sort.

It comes down to choice really. There are a lot of people, myself included, that would rather play the game when it is first released and accept that there may be a few issues. I'd much rather do this than wait around for a patch before playing the game.

I think what he means is that SI should get FM09 right before we buy it. If i bought a car expecting everything to work only to find out that the brakes only worked after an update I'd be annoyed. It just the same only a lot more expensive. SI had better get a quality product out or all credibility will be lost.

Has never happened to me. It probably was his own error in tactics.

If this sort of thing was a bug, it probably would have occured more often considering the ammount of time people play the game.

And losing 1 match over a possible glitch or your fault in tactics is quite immature.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Mann:

I think what he means is that SI should get FM09 right before we buy it. If i bought a car expecting everything to work only to find out that the brakes only worked after an update I'd be annoyed. It just the same only a lot more expensive. SI had better get a quality product out or all credibility will be lost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but comparing a £25 computer game to a £10,000 car is just rediculous. Yes if something on FM that didn't work caused you to in some way kill or injure yourself or wreck the new car that you'd just bought then perhaps you'd have a point.

I'd also like to point out that new cars get re-called to dealerships all the time to repair things that weren't up to standard when the car was manufactured.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Mann:

I think what he means is that SI should get FM09 right before we buy it. If i bought a car expecting everything to work only to find out that the brakes only worked after an update I'd be annoyed. It just the same only a lot more expensive. SI had better get a quality product out or all credibility will be lost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but comparing a £25 computer game to a £10,000 car is just rediculous. Yes if something on FM that didn't work caused you to in some way kill or injure yourself or wreck the new car that you'd just bought then perhaps you'd have a point.

I'd also like to point out that new cars get re-called to dealerships all the time to repair things that weren't up to standard when the car was manufactured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to show that other products don't get released in a near useless state, use whatever reference you like.

Also, how many PS3/Xbox etc. games have major bugs that make the game nearly unplayable at purchase. Not many, because they don't have much of an opportunity to send out an update to fix up their mistakes. Some of these problems have been in the game for 3-4 generations of it (e.g. the media comments and ridiculous transfers) and should be well and truly fixed by now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

I'd also like to point out that new cars get re-called to dealerships all the time to repair things that weren't up to standard when the car was manufactured. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to show that other products don't get released in a near useless state, use whatever reference you like.

Also, how many PS3/Xbox etc. games have major bugs that make the game nearly unplayable at purchase. Not many, because they don't have much of an opportunity to send out an update to fix up their mistakes. Some of these problems have been in the game for 3-4 generations of it (e.g. the media comments and ridiculous transfers) and should be well and truly fixed by now.

Its happened to me a couple of times in a few years, and is certainly not set as an instruction. Perhaps this shows that whilst you give even the most lucid instructions players at certain times will do mad stupid things (although a keeper deciding to come up for a corner at 1-0 does seem a bit far fetched)

For my part both times I recall my keeper coming up for a corner was towards the end of the game. On both occasions we were winning comfortably by 3 or 4 goals so it didn't really matter. Perhaps they just fancied getting in on the act with the game in the bag.

On both occasions the corners led to nothing at all, both attacking wise, and defensivly.

Think I am gonna wait and see what these boards say before I buy the next one, every year I buy on release day and this is the first year I have been disapointed, even post 8.01. Maybe my confidence in the game will be restored by the up coming patch - but I do feel it has come way to late for alot of people.

Why should you use whatever reference you like? The testing done by NASA on their space shuttles and systems is a massive majority of their budget but that is because failures or 'bugs' would be catastrophic. Just like your car example it is rediculous to compare this to a game that has no real effects if it has issues.

There may be issues with the game but some of the over-exaggerations that people make are just a joke.

[/quoteA] Also, how many PS3/Xbox etc. games have major bugs that make the game nearly unplayable at purchase. Not many, because they don't have much of an opportunity to send out an update to fix up their mistakes. Some of these problems have been in the game for 3-4 generations of it (e.g. the media comments and ridiculous transfers) and should be well and truly fixed by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, despite witnessing issues myself, I certainly can't say that I've personally seen any issues that make the game unplayable.

And as for your second point about PS2/Xbox games. Having worked for SCEE I can tell you exactly why this is. Sony (and Microsoft) have their own departments that test every title that will be released on their console. This process is called Submissions and if the game is not up to scratch then they don't allow it to be released. Even then they won't look at gameplay issues in that much depth and will mainly look at genuine game stopping bugs.

There is no way to have such a process when it comes to PC games as no one manufacturer makes any decisions as to which games are allowed to be released on their PC's. It just can't happen as hundredes of different companies make PC's. Add into that the sheer number of different PC specs that you can have and it becomes even more impossible.

And that's without the fact that FM is such an open-ended game with billions of different possibilities. If it had gone through submissions at Sony I can't think of anything that would have bee picked up by them on a regular enough basis to stop it being released.

On top of all that did you play the latest Pro Evo on the PS3. Bugged to hell and needed a patch to sort it out. So now that most new consoles are easily connected to the internet expect this to happen more and more with console games as well.

So what I'm saying is yes, there are issues with FM. But just like with every other FM and most other PC games worth playing these issues will hopefully be fixed with a patch. Patches are the norm now with almost all PC games, and it will soon be the same with console games. But comparing FM to anything other than other PC games, in particular other PC football management games, is quite rediculous.

Messed up my quoting so I'll try again. Sorry icon_frown.gif

I was trying to show that other products don't get released in a near useless state, use whatever reference you like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why should you use whatever reference you like? The testing done by NASA on their space shuttles and systems is a massive majority of their budget but that is because failures or 'bugs' would be catastrophic. Just like your car example it is rediculous to compare this to a game that has no real effects if it has issues.

There may be issues with the game but some of the over-exaggerations that people make are just a joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, how many PS3/Xbox etc. games have major bugs that make the game nearly unplayable at purchase. Not many, because they don't have much of an opportunity to send out an update to fix up their mistakes. Some of these problems have been in the game for 3-4 generations of it (e.g. the media comments and ridiculous transfers) and should be well and truly fixed by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly, despite witnessing issues myself, I certainly can't say that I've personally seen any issues that make the game unplayable.

And as for your second point about PS2/Xbox games. Having worked for SCEE I can tell you exactly why this is. Sony (and Microsoft) have their own departments that test every title that will be released on their console. This process is called Submissions and if the game is not up to scratch then they don't allow it to be released. Even then they won't look at gameplay issues in that much depth and will mainly look at genuine game stopping bugs.

There is no way to have such a process when it comes to PC games as no one manufacturer makes any decisions as to which games are allowed to be released on their PC's. It just can't happen as hundredes of different companies make PC's. Add into that the sheer number of different PC specs that you can have and it becomes even more impossible.

And that's without the fact that FM is such an open-ended game with billions of different possibilities. If it had gone through submissions at Sony I can't think of anything that would have bee picked up by them on a regular enough basis to stop it being released.

On top of all that did you play the latest Pro Evo on the PS3. Bugged to hell and needed a patch to sort it out. So now that most new consoles are easily connected to the internet expect this to happen more and more with console games as well.

So what I'm saying is yes, there are issues with FM. But just like with every other FM and most other PC games worth playing these issues will hopefully be fixed with a patch. Patches are the norm now with almost all PC games, and it will soon be the same with console games. But comparing FM to anything other than other PC games, in particular other PC football management games, is quite rediculous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was trying to show that other products don't get released in a near useless state, use whatever reference you like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they do. Countless amounts of PC games get patches because of worse bugs than there has been in FM. Even console games are getting patches now, if you ought an Xbox 360 today and inserted almost any game while connected, you will get the option to download a patch. And soprry but I've played until 2031 on FM08, it is not unplayable or 'near useless'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnzy:

Neji, thats your opinion but some things within the game make it unplayable for me as differant things will for other people - its all a matter of opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I take it you have encountered a show-stopper then? Out of curiosity, what bugs make the game unplayable?

Archived